Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• Continuing saga of BFGoodrich T/A tires on 2005 Outback 2.5i...Today, we tried my 2005 2.5i with the T/As as well as with the oe Potenzas. What a difference! With the T/As, the car leaps out of bumps (if on a curve, leaps out to one side). In the slush, the T/As really have trouble staying on the pavement. Of course, in dry conditions, the T/As corner much better than the Potenzas. Maybe the Performance Tires are a bit much for the base Outback, at least for winter. One possibility would be to get dedicated winter tires, but we lease the Outbacks and $600 for the Blizzaks (or whatever) is a lot. Any other ideas?
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,457
    One possibility would be to get dedicated winter tires, but we lease the Outbacks and $600 for the Blizzaks (or whatever) is a lot. Any other ideas?

I would recommend that you look at Nokian WR. They are ALL-season tires with a winter snowflake rating.

http://www.etires.com/showSizes.jsp?manufacturer=nokian&categ- - ory=SNOWS&group=WR

There are a couple of dealers in Buffalo.

http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/dealer_output.cfm?startrow=6&a- mp;a- mp;location=New%20York

DaveM
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    But, I usually fill to brim & dealer may not have when they filled it

Make sure you don't top off the tank after the first click of the pump, otherwise all sorts of problems can result!

CRaig
    Make sure you don't top off the tank after the first click of the pump, otherwise all sorts of problems can result!

I've been telling my Dad that for probably 30 years and he still doesn't listen. :-( Yeah, it didn't matter back in the old days but their's too much to screw up with today's fuel systems.

DaveM
  • sdufordsduford Posts: 577
    I've been telling my Dad that for probably 30 years and he still doesn't listen. :-( Yeah, it didn't matter back in the old days but their's too much to screw up with today's fuel systems.

It didn't use to be a problem! My OBXT is my first car for which you absolutely cannot do that!

Sly
  • DaveM-Thanks for the idea. I'm checking into it. Do you have experience with the Nokians on an Outback or other AWD car? How are they compared to oe Potenzas in warm weather? Thanks!

Dave M
  • I have posted a tire report on this (Subaru 2005) board, #5988.
    Do you have experience with the Nokians on an Outback or other AWD car?

I personally do not have any experience with them but I've read quite a bit of positive feedback regarding them.

DaveM
  • I put Nokians on my 02 VDC a year ago after I gave up on the Potenzas that came on my car. Last winter was really snowy and the tires were great. They were fine over the summer. and i've put about 11k on them. I think they are still great this winter, but there's been very little snow. They aren't inexpensive and won't wear as well as some all-season tires. I'm pleased with them.
  • Ongoing saga of the Traction T/As....Our Subaru dealer manager (terrific guy) spent a couple of hours with us yesterday comparing the Traction T/As we've got on our 2005 Outback 2.5i MT with the oe Potenzas. We're all a little perplexed...with the BFGs, the Outback generally corners better. But when we hit a bump in the road, the rear of the wagon gets quite jittery. Today, we were driving at about 50 mph, ran over a slightly depressed manhole cover and the car fishtailed so much it was hard to control it. Yesterday, over the same spot with Potenzas on the car, it stayed well under control. What could there be about the 2.5i and the BFGs that makes such a bad match???
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 683
    Are the BFGs heavier than the Potenzas? Additional tire weight requires more damping from the shocks. Another difference could be more sidewall stiffness in the BFGs which would act similarly.
    Interesting. What is the speed rating of the T/As ? How do the other specs compare to the RE-92.

Generally, when backing off in speed rating, you will notice squishier sidewalls, more tire flex, and possible instabilities according to a tire guy I know. In fact, he won't allow people to downgrade the speed rating more than one category because he has seen too many problems. SO I wonder if that's the case here and you found out the hard way?

Craig
  • chassolchassol Posts: 95
    JUST got this looky looky - http://www.b9tribeca.com/sub/b9/home_flash.html.

250 HP

Curb Weight 4245 Lbs

7.6 qt oil capacity

18X8" Wheels
  • dcabdcab Posts: 101
    I have the BFG Traction T/As on my 97 Outback. Over 30,000 miles and no problems. I put BFG Winter Slaloms on in the winter and they're great too.

Is there a difference between the 97 and 05 Outbacks that would cause the tires to perform so differently? I've got 205/70/15s on my car.
  • Thanks for the idea. What is perplexing is that both tires are the same size, same speed rating, but the BFGs outperform the Potenza RE92 tires in every Tirerack dimension, wet, dry, you name it. That's why we ordered them! So, we did not back off the speed rating. In actual driving, what it feels like is that the BFG Traction T/As are harder, less grippy, and get more so the colder and wetter it gets. This also runs contrary to the PR on the tire, which is that its compound is traction-oriented.

The temptation is to scrap the T/As for Nokians, or maybe go for the Blizzaks for winter...either way, laying out +/-$600. Ouch!
  • Thanks for the idea. FYI, all of the Buffalo dealers are really the same company, Broad Elm Tire!
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    Was there a customer satisfaction clause on your purchase? Perhaps you could take them back to where ever you purchased and have them replace the tires with something different?
    Call up the TireRack and talk to the associate who you ordered the tires from. They are usually very interested in customer satisfaction in my experience. At the very least, they need to know about the situation with these tires on this particular car, and they may have some advice. Those guys are real tire experts, so definitely tap into their knowledge.

Craig
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Tribeca gets MP3 and aux input. Looks like they took the feedback from the Legacy.

-juice
  • Supposedly the rear suspension has been reworked. Also, the rear of the car is lighter, with an aluminum liftgate. I'm wondering if these are factors.

How long have you had the Traction T/As? I thought they just came out in '04?! May I assume the Traction T/As are not so hot in winter driving, hence the snow tires?