Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Doug,

Sorry to hear about the damage. Given your vehicle is relatively new and that you will be reminded of it every time you look back, I would try and fix it.

My guess is that a dealer will just replace the entire headliner, which will be the foolproof, yet expensive way to fix it. Given that, I wonder if you could try and fix it yourself. A few things you could try:
    - Massaging back the foam through the headliner
    - Cutting a very small section of the headliner to access the foam with some thin tool and seeing if you can "pull" it back into shape
    - Using that same opening and filling the area with some other foam to help make it less noticeable

You probably can close up the incision with some Crazy Glue.

Ken
  • By the way, I was sorry to see them drop the 3.0R wagon -- I always like the idea of the H6 and accompanying features with cloth interior.
    I put Katzkin leather in it. But I don't fit in the LLBean or VDC as the sunroof eats up too much headroom.
  • This looks great. Does anyone have this and know for certain this can be mounted in the dash space?

Go to any of the dedicated Subaru boards - there are many threads and pictures.
  • wmquanwmquan Posts: 1,817
    Can you wait a few months on your vehicle purchase? E.g. until around Christmas?

If you wait, you'll surely get much better discounts on the 2007's. Subaru won't offer better rebates on the 2007's until more 2006's are cleared out.

This way, you'd get VDC and SI for a good price.
  • Sorry to be dense since I'm new to this forum... where do I find these dedicated Subaru boards that could show me this?
  • dougb10dougb10 Burlington, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 185
    Hi Ken....appreciate your suggestions. I have tried to "massage" the foam using a lint roller, but it had little effect. Because the headliner itself is not damaged, I am reluctant to cut through it and attempt to fill the indentation in the foam, then replace the headlining. I am concerned it would really look like a patch job....actually worse than before.
    I think I will probably leave it alone....the car has been absolutely perfect and we love it. Just made one change early....dumped the Potenza's and replaced them with Bridgestone Turanza LS-H tires. Huge improvement on the ride and handing in the wet.

Thanks again.

Doug
  • kmcleankmclean Posts: 173
    Hi, Doug,

Sorry about that aggravating ding to your headliner - I know the feeling.

Since you seem to be faced with either a homemade repair or swapping the whole thing out, how about: 1) trying to expand the foam with heat - like a hair dryer (start on low), or, 2) a bit of heat and steam, like those travel steamers that you use to "unwrinkle" clothes that have been mashed in your suitcase.

Sounds like you couldn't go too far wrong!

Ken in Seattle
    Ken in Seattle...
    Thanks....will give it a try. The last time I used my wife's hair dryer was to try and remove condensation between the panes of a large picture window of a condo that we had. Wrong idea! A loud cracking noise confirmed that "Mr. Fixit" had screwed up again.
    Can't see that I have too much to break this time....

Doug

P.S. Love visiting your part of the country!
  • Sorry to be dense since I'm new to this forum... where do I find these dedicated Subaru boards that could show me this?

Do a web search for places like ultimatesubaru.net; legacygt.com; nasioc.com; subaruoutback.org etc.

The forums here have information on all kinds of cars and trucks, so it's better for comparisons. Pricing and dealer information also tends to be the most current here.

But the moderators push everything into one thread per car line. So there's Outback 2005+, for example: including the turbocharged XT, the H6 models, and the four cylinder models. So the dedicated forums will have much more specific information - sometimes only of interest to an enthusiast.
  • Thanks, very helpful.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    Doug, I know the feeling -- I have done stuff like this before. Often, it's impossible to fix without making it look worse.

You may be able to press the headliner back into shape from the back -- which would require getting behind it somehow. If the damage is near the rear of the car, that's a help, since you're already near an edge. But you'd likely have to remove the side trim to drop the headliner enough to get behind it.

The headliner itself is a compressed plastic/fiber/board material with foam padding and the outer cloth. I imagine the inner board layer is dented, and could possibly be pressed back into shape (the foam and cloth layers wouldn't have a memory, so I bet the board layer is what's damaged).

I would not go to the dealer for something like this -- they are notoriously inept at finesse work. I know people who have gotten headliners replaced (for example, under warranty during the repair of a leaking moon roof) and the interior was never the same again. You often have to take a lot of side trim off to get at the headliner.

On my 05 Outback, I have gotten behind the headliner (to run wires) in the area of the dome lights and moonroof. These areas are easy to get to. If the damage is in this area, you could possibly gain access to the back of the headliner and use a flat piece of metal stock fed through the hole(s) to work the headliner.

Good luck!
    Craig

p.s. I am slowly learning to live with dents/etc, so that may be the best advice!
    I agree with you Craig...there is no way I am going to try to take things apart to fix something that is strictly cosmetic. The car is a gem and hasn't received even one door ding, so the first "blemish" always appears to be prominent. Most people would never notice this at all.
    The best thing I did with the Outback, was to get the 3M transparent tape covering the front of the hood to stop stone chips. It has worked beautifully. I am sorry I did not install it on my '03 Camry when I got it new...there are a ton of chips on the front that really detract from its appearance.
    Thank you for your ideas.

Doug
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    Hey Doug:

I have never shopped for the 3M tape but was thinking about putting it on my 06 OB.

Is is custom cut or do you cut it yourself?

Where can it be bought? Any auto parts store?

Thanks.

Karl
    Hi Carl,

The 3M tape was installed by a company specialized in this area. The dealer brought him in to put it on prior to delivery. I watched him do it....he used a heat gun to shape it to the hood contours. It was a job I would never attempt on my own.
    I negotiated the tape, rustproofing and the auto-dimming mirror as part of the deal...not sure how much the tape would cost if I went somewhere separately. I am very happy with the job 18 months later.

Doug
    Hi Ken in Seattle,

Tried the hair dryer this morning but not much change. The headliner backing is just too mushed to bring it back to life. Worth a shot anyway...Thanks.

Doug
    Sorry...it should have been Karl...not Carl.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    I put the 3M film on my 05 Outback, and it has been great -- works like a charm. I have a couple chips to touch up outside the protected area, but the front of the hood still looks fine after 2 years. I really like the stuff.

I ordered the kit from RockBlocker.com and installed it myself. The Outback is an easier install apparently, and OK for DIY'ers. It's still a fairly involved project, and took me about an hour with a lot of prep beforehand.
  • Thanks TD. Again, I was talking EPA ratings which are notoriously inaccurate. I am very happy to hear that an XT gets such good real world mileage. And in Boston, for goodness sake! I have driven all over the third world and have never seen such bizarre and aggressive driving as I have in Boston! It's like San Francisco Chinatown drivers on steroids...
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Perfect excuse to add an aftermarket moonroof. ;)

-juice
    Hey Juice....the Limited already has a sunroof....although I guess it could always be made a little bigger.

I know....how about a new TV show...every week we could show how the "world's worst do-it yourselfers" screw up an otherwise nice car.

Ahhhh....don't think my wife would let me go first.

Doug
    How 'bout another rear one like the Element has. :D

-juice
  • jbbwvjbbwv Posts: 11
    I have a 05 OBW, 2.5i, 4EAT that is coming up on the 30k service. I notice that the Trans. fluid nor the Diff. lub is changed on any of the major service points. Would it be worth the extra Subaru Bucks to have them changed at 30k? I live in WV and the hills on the secondary roads (plus living on top of a ridge w/gravel roads) make for a lot of down/up shifting.

Thanks!! JB
  • Thanks TD. Again, I was talking EPA ratings which are notoriously inaccurate. I am very happy to hear that an XT gets such good real world mileage.

Try Legacygt.com. This is really exceptionally superlatively good mileage for an XT. I have an H6 and have never gotten over 26.1 mpg (one tank) on the highway, also in the Boston area. This is by actual logged use, not the trip computer, hwich has shown up to 31.3 mpg on a partial tank and highway driving.
  • :shades: well i'm new to the board and i was wondering if anyone knew any good places in los angeles to get performance parts. i'm looking to up my torque on my 06 outback sport se, which i love. is there anyway of keeping the interior clean when its beige???
  • aaykayaaykay Posts: 539
    I believe years back when Edmunds started out, they were comprehensive in showing the true profit that a dealer makes, including details about the holdback. They used to list the holdback percentage by automakers.

I find now, that details of the "holdback" have simply disappeared from Edmunds completely. Have the dealers "got to them" ?

Anyone know what the holdback on Subarus are ? Imprezas and Legacies.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,837

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• aaykayaaykay Posts: 539
    Oops...thanks a bunch. Glad to learn that Edmunds is still very much independent and a strong resource for auto-related information.
  • The True Market Value seems a little soft, however. The last three cars we have purchased have been $500 to $800 under the TMV price quoted here.
    I changed my gear oils at 60k and they weren't too bad. Then again my Miata had 26k miles (though it was 8 years old) and the rear diff fluid was nasty.

Since yours is an '05, I'd say you can wait til 60k.

-juice
  • Is there any difference between an Outback XT and a Outback LLBean or, for that matter, 2006 VDC in terms of comfort on a long trip? Seats, noise, harshness, vibration? My daily driver is a 2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT spec.B, which has been reliable and comfortable. The station wagon would be a new car for my wife. Thanks.