Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    I originally pegged it as a gimmick, but it did allow the EPA mpg ratings to bump up to 20/26 for the Outback XT 5EAT, up from the previous 19/24. So that's good. The manual trans model improved as well -- I think it is rated 27 mpg highway now.

My only gripe is the placement of the SI drive knob, which knocked the power seat controls from their central location to a much less convenient location closer to the driver, and the controls are smaller now too. We use the power seat controls a lot, far more than I would be adjusting the SI drive knob, so it's a dumb setup if you ask me. That aspect of SI drive is definitely gimmicky. They should put the SI drive knob somewhere else.
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    ????

Where are your power seat controls? On my 06 3.0R they are on the outboard portion of the seat, just like most other manufacturers.

Karl
    Ahhhh, too much coffee this morning! I meant HEATED seat controls.
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    Duh. If I had thought about it, I probably would have figured that out.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    It's a good one, a close friend helped develop the US implementation of it. It's similar to getting a stage 1 on Cobb or Utec from the factory. Won't be giving you too much control but more than zero.

-mike
    I'd also get the brakes flushed at 30k.

-mike
  • cusafrcusafr Posts: 184
    I am looking at a 2006-Outback-LLBean Wagon. Can anyone tell me if there is any significant difference between the 06/07? I can get the 06 for about $2,000 less than the 07.

Thanks,

CUSAFR
    The 07 gets VDC stability control (important) and an aux-in for the stereo (nice if you have an iPod). I believe they also have an XM option now. Everything else is pretty much unchanged or minor. VDC is the big change in my opinion.

By the way, there was also a slight price drop for 07, so they are actually a better value compared to the 06.

You should be shooting for far more than a $2K difference on the 06 model. I have seen 07 models going for heavy discounts already.
  • cusafrcusafr Posts: 184
    Thanks c-hunter. I did not relaize the VDC is in the 07 but not 06. Yes, that would be nice. I don't care about the other two items.

When I say $2,000 difference, I am comparing the selling price of an 07 from Fitzmall against the price of the 06.

CUSAFR
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    That's cool you knew someone who was part of the SI Drive development. I thought it switched throttle and (for autos) transmission maps on the fly, but not necessarily the engine map like Cobb AP.

Ken
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,571
    I feel much the same way - I am 6'0" w/ 33" inseam and after the first 1000 miles of our original trip back up to Alaska, I finally decided that fully repositioning the seat each time my wife drove was just too much. I told her to put it exactly how she preferred, then I sat in it. Felt pretty good. I go to drive cars that belong to friends who are 6-10" shorter and I can barely reach the pedals.... ? They seem to find it comfortable though.

I felt comfy enough throughout the crash this weekend too. Hardly even felt like I wiggled until I unclipped the belt and smacked my head into the ceiling! :blush: But, considering the hideous, 3" diameter bruise on the outside of my right thigh, I'd say the seats are too wide, as that is where I must have crashed into the belt latch.

Unfortunately, I will be test driving some '07s tomorrow morning. I can reassess then, but no Limited as I just found out my wife really does not like leather seats. :( I'm just the opposite, but give and take.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • gsygsy Posts: 1
    Please advise. I got contradicting information from the salesman and from other subaru staff & the owner's manual. :confuse:

It's about the standard 'antitheft security system' that comes with the 2006 model.
    In the specs, it simply says: "Antitheft security system with answer-back electronic chirp".
    So, what exactly does it include? Does it has the basic alarm feature if somebody tries to break in?

I was assured by the salesman: "2006 only has the remote entry system (locking and unlocking with chirping sound) and a red light blinking on the dashboard. No alarm _at all_." :surprise: That sounds like an intelligent anti-theft system. ;)

However, another staff at the store, as well as in the manual has something like this:
    "if you have locked the door and if somebody tries to break in(eg. smashing the window/I forget to roll up the window) to open the door from within, that will trigger the alarm."

And according to the manual, only shock sensor is optional.

An 'upgraded' security system costs >$200, wonder what does this cover?

Thanks for the help!!
  • smittynycsmittynyc Posts: 291
    That's funny -- my wife and I arrived at a mutually satisfactory single seating position as well (it helps that she's pretty tall). That reduced the whole prepare-to-drive sequence down to just adjusting the driver's side and rear-view mirror. For some reason, the passenger's side outer mirror position worked well for both of us.

However, our new Legacy has a power driver's seat, so she's been cheating and moving it up a skosh when she drives. Since it's a power seat, I really don't care.

(Although I like simple cars with basic features, I have to admit that memory seats/mirrors would be pretty nice.)

My condolences again on the demise of your old car. But I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised with the quality of the cloth in the 07. The 2.5i has heated front seats, power driver's seat, and the heated side mirrors/wipers. $750 cash back incentive is back for January, too.
    Impreza security setups. We have a proven track record in protecting them. 250 installs, 50 attempted thefts, 1 Theft but they never got past the security, they actually pushed the car with another car 10 miles...

-mike
  • pathtomaxpathtomax Posts: 215
    I cheated on my 2001 Outback Limited (107k miles) and test drove a 2006 Outback LL Bean Sedan with 32k miles. I sat in the drivers seat, looked at the new controls, the Nav system and looked at my partner and said, "This is a grown-ups Subaru!" It was a beautiful Garnet Red and drove beautifully. My issue- it was a sedan. I really want another wagon for the camping, biking trips etc.

Did they make the LL Bean Wagon in Garnet Red? I seem to find that they actually discontinued this color for 2007? I might just give up XM options for the color! I have the short-lived Winestone in my 2001 now.
    We are going to try to negotiate a local deal today (tough getting a decent price in such an isolated market) on an 07, but likely we will get the Basic vs. "normal?" Outback. I will be happy not to have the TMPS and the power seat. I like the seat cushion tilt option on the power seat, but in all other ways prefer the manual adjustments. We are also going for a manual transmission - I thought my wife would shy away from it once she tried it (has little experience with manuals), but she took to it like a fly on... well, she did great and loved it. :blush:

So, more news later. I will hate not having heated mirrors if we end up negotiating a deal. Whomever at Subaru that decided on deleting those versus, say, lighted vanity mirrors (the most pointless feature in existence), was a complete fool and had no customer service experience. :mad:

Considering the essentials deleted on the Basic (such as crossbars on roof rails) that we will have to purchase anyway, the difference comes out to about $1000 more (at invoice) for the standard 2.5i. I asked my wife and she said that the heated mirrors were not worth that much to her.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • By taking the Basic do you realize you are giving up heated seats (useful) and the heated wiper strip on the windshield (sometimes useful)? You aren't just giving up the heated mirrors.
    The basic is fine if you want a no frills vehicle on a budget, but if the difference is only $1K I would go for the standard 2.5i myself. I like the cold weather package features (especially if I lived in AK) and some of the other standard equipment on the 2.5i.

Craig
    Yes, we realize everything we would be giving up (some of which I am quite glad to give up!). Like I said, the heated mirrors are the only ones of real concern as many items, like crossbars (essential to giving the vehicle the versatility I demand) and splash guards, are easily and cheaply addable. As far as heated seats... eh. Our '96 had them. I used to use them when the car was cold, but have always found them uncomfortable and unnecessary. So, I am neutral about that one. The wiper strip might be somewhat helpful, but that would be my first vehicle to include it and I have always done fine without it! Here, it is typically so cold during winter months that things like rear window defrosters actually cause more ice build up than they prevent. The best thing to do is leave the defroster off and scrape the window. Then the wiper can remove any snow that builds up while driving. If the defroster is on, you end up with "ice strips" because the snow will melt, then refreeze on the glass between the strips of heating element. So, I am unconvinced that we need them.

And I agree, Craig, that the price really is not all that much different... but we are also trying to build a house as well and every dollar we commit to this car is two that we do not have available to invest in the house. The word "budget" really hits the nail on the head - I am trying to work this thing out so that we are not holding our heads under water for the next 4-5 years. I can do 30 seconds, but after that I like to come up for air. :blush: We have not ruled the 2.5i out, but we are preferentially seeking the Basic.
    *sigh*

Well, considering that I was forced to do this search/negotiation under, perhaps, the worst possible conditions (aside from the fact that it is -30F today!), I think I did okay. The market up here is limited, with only two dealerships in the state. The Fairbanks dealership, after confirming that they would not seek a manual Basic from Anchorage and that there was not one en-route to Fairbanks, gave us a price of $23611 (OTD) for a manual 2.5i... which is a whopping $600 off MSRP. I contacted Anchorage regarding a manual Basic and managed to get them to 22125 (pre-incentive, title, fees) with crossbars, floormats, and mudguards (color coded) but with none installed... so, $378 over invoice (TMV for zip 99501 is listed on Edmunds as $22,533). OTD price was $21706. I made a calculation error when I was figuring the accessories, as I "wanted" to hit ~$250 over invoice. Basically, they flat refused to drop the sale price below $21706 so I decided to add the accessories I would be putting on it anyway in order to come closer to the price I sought. So, with the cost of flying to Anchorage and driving it back, the total cost to get it home is ~$22,000.

I went ahead and called the local dealership and told them I would accept the manual 2.5i at $22,500. I figured saving a day trip to Anchorage and getting the heated mirrors was worth $500. This is ~$250 over invoice. The salesperson with whom we had worked previously just flat refused. She said, "the computer says we'd be losing about $1000 if I sold it for that price." I just said I was giving her an opportunity to make the sale because I had already worked out a $250 over invoice deal in Anchorage on the Basic (at the time, I thought I had.... did not catch that accounting error until just a few minutes ago - GRR!) but was willing to do the same deal here in order to save the trip even though we were paying more overall than we cared to pay. It was still in our "doable" range, even if just barely. She offered to work up a counter-offer, but I said no, this was a yes-or-no offer and it was not worth negotiating it up since I'd already had a deal worked out on the preferred car.

All in all though, considering the circumstances and market, I feel okay with it. If it had been a situation where I could have piggy-backed the trip down and had time to drive it back up I would have looked more seriously at the L48. "Feeler" prices I was getting from Washington were not enough less than the price I negotiated to justify the lost income and the time it would take to do it.

There will be other opportunities. But, I have not actually paid for nor picked up the car, so if someone has a compelling reason to talk me out of it - speak up! :P
    I will go ahead and duplicate relevant text there, so if you want to adjust it, Bob... please do!
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    Wes - sent you an e-mail. Below invoice for OB.
    Thank you so much, Jeff. Was offered a great price on a manual Basic ($20190.50 OTD), but after factoring in travel cost, time, and winterizing, the savings dwindled to ~$200. :(
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    You're supposed to call it "vacation", not "travel cost, time". :P Well, I thought it'd be at least worth it for you to check it out what kind of price you could get. I'm always surprised how good the offers are.
  • ncc4ncc4 Posts: 16
    I recently purchased a 2007 Outback Touring Edition (Canada)and I'm looking for help on how to replace the heating system filter. I know it's not due for several thousand kilometers, but would like to have a look. My dealership said that they charge 1 hour's labor ( $105 ) for this plus the filter. The link through message 9541 to help me install the armrest extension was excellent with info. and photo's. Anyone replaced this filter that can give me similar type of instructions?

Thanks in advance

Nigel
  • dbtdbt Posts: 298
    On the Subaru home page. Don't look too different to me.
    on VDC: "available" [not "standard"]
    Tilt-telescoping steering wheel: seems to be standard
    Also, TPMS
    We're discussing it in the Subaru Crew Future Models thread -- I suggest sending discussion that way...

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ee9956a/18579
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    assuming the OB is similar to my Forester, you would unscrew the glove box (about 8 philips screws) and the filter door is right there.

Takes about 30 mins, faster if you have an electric screw driver.

Detailed instructions are normally in the OEM filter box.

John
  • I am moving to the Denver area...am considering a 2007 Outback
    3.0 Eddie Bauer or 2.5 Turbo .
    I will commute up and down the Front Range on I-70 from Evergreen to Denver, and I would like enough power to stay at 65-70 without laboring(as my 6cyl Explorer is prone to !!)
    What are advantages/disadvantages of turbo vs 3.0 (aside from premium gas!)
    Is this car as good as it sounds in the snow? I will be new to winter driving....
    Thx