Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I agree, it's a concern, but 2 out of hundreds of thousands sold does not make a pattern.

They may help, I wouldn't be surprised, but it's well past warranty and it would not be fair to someone who purchased a Subaru Gold warranty for them to fix it for free, especially given it's not common by any means.
  • dgreene1dgreene1 Posts: 9
    Hi. I have an 08 Legacy 2.5 i Special Edition with a seat creak issue (which I've seen mentioned sporadically on this forum). Whenever my body weight shifts in the seat (such as rounding corners) my seat creaks and sounds like an old mattress. I'm an average size person (6' 200lbs) and when I mentioned it to my dealer he just gives me the "never heard of that before" look. After a test drive he says that "he thinks he heard something". Because I've seen other mention of it here, I don't think this problem is specific to my Subaru, and may be a seat design issue. If it's worse in mine for some reason perhaps I can ask (demand) that the seat be replaced. I'm just not sure if that's going to do any good. Comments and suggestions would be appreciated!
  • kat95kat95 Posts: 49
    My 08 Legacy drivers seat creaks too, it's drving me crazy. Has been doing it for a long time, like you, I felt what's the point of having it replaced with a new one. I haven't brought it to the dealer for the issue. This is my 4th Subaru and they were all new and never had this issue. I have another problem with the drivers side front or rear clicking/ticking wheel bearing/brake? It makes the noise sometimes and of course it stops when I get to the dealers. They've checked the car and said it has to be a constant sound before they can fix it.
  • kominskykominsky Posts: 850
    Does anyone know what years the newer style Legacy GT wagon was available with a manual transmission? thanks!
    2005 only, IIRC.

Rare breed, if you find a clean one, buy it.
  • kominskykominsky Posts: 850
    Thanks! I'll be looking for a wagon when I decide to replace my 330Ci. I'm not really crazy about the idea, but I take my dog for frequent mountain walks and my back seat needs constant cleaning. The other option I've been considering is a little hatch (new wrx, maybe) , but I'm not sure if there would be enough head room for her with the seats folded down... I wonder if dealerships would let me bring her on test-drives... :)
    I think if you bring a liner they would allow it.
  • morin2morin2 Posts: 399
    This is the first I have heard of pet restraints in a vehicle. I'm a fan of subarus, but I think this is a great concept by Honda:

http://corporate.honda.com/press/article.aspx?id=4984
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    This is the first I have heard of pet restraints in a vehicle. I'm a fan of subarus, but I think this is a great concept by Honda:

Except Volvo has had it since the 60s...
    Good to know! That should be an additional reason for pet owners to consider Volvo.

http://www.automotive.com/auto-news/02/36668/index.html
    You could get a cargo partition in an Outback way back when ('95?), and they already came with a cargo floor liner. Same basic thing, IMHO.

I had a small dog so he was harnessed in the passenger compartment with us. When he got older we'd secure his dog crate and he rode in there.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    We have an '05 2.5i base wagon and rented 2.5i sedan this week. The speakers say H-K (which implies some type of premium sound, although it doesn't seem any better than what we have), there's a sunroof (again seeming highline), but no radio controls on the wheel. And cruse control moved from the stalk to the wheel. They also got rid of the button that allows day-time illumination with the lights on - something we use a lot in fog.
    It still has manual climate control.
    They did upgrade to 17" alloys.

Did Subaru do a rental car only model?
    I don't think Subaru has special fleet-only cars, at least AFAIK. Not enough volume to justify that.

I've seen plenty of crappy Harmon Kardon PC speakers, so the name alone doesn't imply quality. How does it sound compared to your 05?

It's funny how they shuffle what's standard and not included, as if they had a fixed budget and had to choose 5 out of 10 things each year, and each year they change 2 or 3 of those.
  • I went to the grocery store last evening to get some items to go to a pot luck. Came out of the grocery store, got into the car to go and it started great, however when I put it in gear and stepped on the gas it just petered out. IT was like it had plenty of gas for the egine to start, but no more came when it needed to go. So if anyone has any ideas as to what is the issue I'd welcome any comments.

Nancy
  • What I forgot to say was that I drive a 2005 Subaru Outback Wagon LL Bean Edition
  • Fuel pump? Clogged fuel filter?
  • When I do start it and it dies it shows an Error message in the trip odometer area. It says ER IU. Haven't been able to find out what it means.
  • I walked to the Grocery Store parking lot where my car currently residing and tried starting it again. Somehow thinking (hoping) it would magically be fixed. No such luck. I took notes of the error message showing up at different times. ER IU and ER LC both (at different times) in the trip odometer section and err on the dashboard section where it shows mileage, temp, mpg, etc. Hmmmmmmmm
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,507
    Sounds to me a lot like the fuel pump issue I recently had with my minivan. I am not familiar with those codes, though.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    I believe Er IU is 'Error in the Ignition Unit'
    perhaps Er LC is 'low speed CAN bus error'

... I assume you know that 'CAN' referrs to the computer communications buss between the onboard computer and other periphials. (like dashboard, engine...etc.)

There is all kinds of info available on the internet if you do a search for subaru "ER LC"
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    From the Legacy GT forums I also frequent:

“Er LC” Low speed CAN communication failure
    “Er IU” Body integrated unit failure inside

The 05+ OB/Legacy have all the components connected via LAN and the odometer is designed to show certain error codes. Sorry to hear about that -- I think only the dealer or a qualified shop could troubleshoot what this means.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    I did some quick 'recearch' against this issue, there are a couple of accounts where a weak battery caused this to happen. In those cases, simply charging the battery made the problem go away.

... perhaps you might be so lucky?
  • I have a 2005 subaru outback ej25 naturally aspirated with 103K mi. i stopped driving my car because everyday during driving from stop to about 40 mph in the rpm range of 1000 to 2000 rpms i hear almost an engine knock, shrudder, like the engine cant accelerate unless i put the pedal to the floor anything above that rpm range and its fine just low rpms and i have trouble? Suggestions, solutions, something to avoid a $1000 repair?
    You are due for the timing belt change at 105K, so why don't you have this problem addressed as part of your 105K service - which can be done "early" at 103K anyway. Have you kept up with the other service? The 105K service is not cheap - so have the dealer look for codes and try to find out what's wrong before you spend nearly that much in normal 105K maintenance. Have you been changing the plugs & air filter every 30K? Subaru does require more routine maintenance than other makes.
  • I actually had the timing belt serviced at 100k along with the spark plugs water pump thermostat, air filter , battery, and the transmission serviced. im afraid its something internal
    Did the knock start right after all that work at 100K? That's a lot of work done at once and my first thought would have been that the knock might be related to something not done right, or a defective part, like a bad spark plug. Have you gone back and had them re-check their work?
  • I just reached the five year mark with my OB and am very pleased. At the annual service at 35,000 miles I sprang for new front brakes, brake fluid, coolant, engine oil and filter, inspection, spark plugs. Total cost $756. That's ok...you got to pay to play.

Only question: The mechanic didn't replace fuel filter and said it was not necessary. Does that sound right.

Thanks,
    Bob
    Wait 'til 60k, you should be ok.
  • Thanks for the prompt reply. It gives me comfort. I'll wait until 60k as you recommend.

Sincerely,
    Bobny57
  • i had it checked out and one of my accesory belts was missing "a chunk"