Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    You should be fine, you're well within the limits plus the trailer does have the required brakes.

I towed a 700 lb trailer, plus a couple of beds and a couch, with my 98 Forester, and it did fine. I didn't even have trailer brakes. Stopping distances were longer, of course, so I left plenty of space. The engine and clutch did just fine.

You have more power and a more substantial tow vehicle, so I can't imagine it'll be a problem.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,507
    I agree. With an automatic transmission, I will always recommend a supplemental transmission cooler if you are towing substantial distances or frequently, but if you live in the north country, the extra cooler could also result in lower operating temperatures during those cold winter months.
  • dougb10dougb10 Burlington, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 185
    Hi guys,

Many thanks for the feedback on towing. Sounds like we would be good to go.

Doug
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    We have used our Legacy 2.5i 5 speed wagon to drag various things about. Haven't had any issues, but I do make sure the trailer is properly loaded, the tongue weight is correct, and we are within the towing limits of the vehicle.

We have a "Hidden Hitch" drawbar and a "Hoppy" plug-n-play electrical connector. No splicing or anything, it just plugs in and off you go.
  • rebel71rebel71 Posts: 87
    I've had an intermittent rotational rubbing and what sounds like a metal disc going around very fast in a container with the occasional soft squeak it stops the minute I apply the brakes. This is coming from the drivers side front wheel area. It lasts from 1-5 min. at a time. You can hear it when going under 25mph and the sound gets faster as the mph increases. I've had this issue since 10,000 less than a year of ownership and now at 24,500. It always stops when I get to the dealer, which is frustrating. :mad: The tech checked it out 3 times, I thought it might be the wheel bearing and they said it all looked fine. My brakes are good had them checked too.They couldn't diagnose because it didn't make a sound. It's becoming more frequent now. Anyone one else with an 07-09 Legacy having this issue? I've had a wheel bearing go on my 95 Impreza twice but it's been so long that I forgot what it sounds like. I don't feel safe to take it on a long trip and the dealer can't do anything till it hears the noise. I would appreciate any ideas/feedback. Thank you
    That sounds exactly like a wheel bearing to me.
    edited May 2010
    It didn't make a sound likely because it's not under load on their lift.

I say wheel bearing, too. If I'm wrong I'll buy you a beer next time you're in the DC area.
  • rebel71rebel71 Posts: 87
    I'm stuck now because they won't fix anything till they hear a noise. On three occasions I've taken it to the dealer when it was making the noise and it stopped the minute I pulled in and had the service manager test drive it and wouldn't make a sound. They've put it on a lift checked tires w/ stethescope, moved the tires to see if loose and said "all is fine at this time." The manager assures it's safe to drive. I know something is wrong, safe not sure. What would you do if it were your car? I was told that even though I might think it's a wheel bearing that they won't replace it because what if it doesn't fix the problem. The car is under warranty. They need to hear the issue in order to make a diagnosis. Until then, I'm up a creek without a paddle. The noise is driving me nuts because it's infrequent and feel unsure of it's safety. I'd call SOA if I thought that might help. I think they would just back up the dealer, can't fix what you don't hear to diagnose. I'm irritated that my new car has this issue that is still not taken car of. Again, I really appreciate any ideas. Thanks for the reply
    Murphy's Law. It's the plumbing leak that won't leak when the plumber comes, so they can't trace it. Bummer.

Dealers says it's OK, so I guess wait and see if it gets worse.
    edited May 2010
    To address the safety concern, wheel bearings tend to be a wear item that gets progressively worse until the unit eventually disintegrates. It is best to replace them as soon as possible after they begin to make noise, though, because the additional heat generated by the dysfunctional bearing unit will transfer to the wheel spindle and can cause it damage if it heats up sufficiently. If damaged, the spindle would have to be replaced in order to fit the new bearing.

Worst case: The bearing disintegrates, you hear a horrid grinding noise, and end up stranded somewhere with a three-legged car. ;) Other than the stranding and emotional distress, it should not be a safety issue.

Your bearing sounds like it has quite a ways to go before it reaches that point. I would just keep an ear on it and take it to the dealer again when it becomes more consistent.
    Plus you get the satisfaction of telling the dealer "I told you so". ;)
  • Hello- looking at outbacks to replace a totalled car- a couple of things need words of wisdom on
    Carfax- is lack on maintenance records on carfax meaninful or not? obviously if someone changes oil themselves not going to show up in carfax
    Edmunds TMV vs KBB- KBB seems to be a good bit higher for same car- seems to be what dealers use- how to use TMV- the floor price?
    Looking at 2 vehicles- 06(sold 8/06) OB limited mid 50K miles- clean carfax but no maintenance records on carfax
    other car is 07(sold 11/06) 2.5i premium mid 50K miles- clean car fax- all dealer maint on car fax.
    How to judge these if 1K difference in price. does dealer maint give value over limited options
    Am I engaging in analysis paralysis.....
  • Also looking at:
    07 premium with 38K miles
    08 limited with 46K miles- manufacturer car for 20k
    and a couple of 06 limited with around 50 K
    Prices ranging from 18900- 08 limited to 17.5(one of 06 limited and "cherry" 07 premium above
    How to judge these if 1K difference in price. does dealer maint give value over limited options

Thought on these??
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    For redo seat cushion - you can check the Yellow Page under "auto upholstery" they also service all car dealers, like convert fabric to leather seats, replace damage seat fabric, etc.
  • My car smells like dog poop. The smell is strongest after it has been sitting in the sun for a while. I'll open the windows and turn the fan on. I've determined that the smell is most likely coming from the vents. I've eliminated the mats and carpet after I took the mats out and deodorized the carpets. (besides the smell hits me in the face when I aim the vent at it.) I've installed a new cabin air filter (the old one was missing) and the smell is still there.

Any ideas?
    Thanks!
  • Did you purchase the car new or used? I was going to say mold or if previous owner spilled something and the smell just won't go away. Do you smell it all the time while the fan is going? Since you have determined it's coming from the vents, Moisture can form on the A/C condenser, this moisture can cause mold and mildew smell. There are products that you can spray in the A/C intake that will kill the mold and get rid of the odor. I'd ask the dealer or local parts store if they carry this. Also check the carpets to make sure they aren't wet, indicating a leak and creating mold. I'm just hitting all the possible bases. Also make sure that the water vent tube near the A/C condenser is open. When running A/C you see dripping water on the ground underneath passenger side of car. Hope this helps.
    My 93 Miata had a musty smell.

Try some Lysol - spray it in the air intake in the cowl (if that's where it is).

Put the interior fan on High, fresh air mode. Then spray in Lysol so that the vents suck it in and disinfect the vents.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    The AC evaperator (under the dash) Has a tendency to build up mold/milew if you do not turn off the AC and allow it to dry before shutting off engine. (Leaving the AC on all the time is ASKING for mold/mildew to grow)

There are some commercial concoctions that you can "fog" into the intake of the venting system which are intended to kill the mold/mildew.

It is also possible, if the mold/mildew has been allowed to grow for too long, that the drain hose for the evaperator may be plugged up. This would have to be 'manually' cleaned out by hand by running a brush or something thru the hose.
  • I'm the original owner on this car. The carpets are dry. I'm going to try the spray for the AC intake as soon as I find it. Where would the water vent tube be? Under the right side of the car?
  • The smell seems to be weaker when the AC is on. Could a clogged drain hose still be the issue? Where would that be? Under the right side of the car?
    That could be because the air is less humid, so the smell is less noticeable.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    The "intake" for the airflow is OUTSIDE the vehicle at the bottom of the windshield (Look for the 'vents' under the wipers at the back of the hood.)

If you turn on the "recirculate" button, then the intake is INSIDE the car... listen for the sucking sound under the dash near the gas pedal.
  • ronsteveronsteve Posts: 435
    Specifically thinking about the '05-'09 Outback and '05-'07 Legacy wagons and folding down the rear seats... Did they ever get to the point where you could fold them down and have a relatively flat floor, or is the bottom cushion still in the way?

Seems like the new generation (more SUV, less wagon) can do that, but sadly the turbo and manual tranny are gone. :(
    edited February 2011
    I had both an '07 and '08, and no, they did not "fold flat" (at least not when they were initially dropped). When something with any weight was placed on top, they would flatten out, but the heavy bolstering in both the back and seat cushions prevented that from happening without some weight to compress the foam.
    Our 02 Legacy had the back seat base that you could move out of the way, so the seat backs went down farther. That was MY2000-2004 though.
    Yeah, they did that from '95 through '04, then went to the stationary seat bottoms.
  • idearequestidearequest San Mateo, CAPosts: 10
    Hi, The Stereo/climate control panel face plate(86213AG61A) was replaced in April 2009 (under warranty at that time) on my 2005 Outback Sedan because the temperature and radio controls kept flashing. The other day, the temperature and radio controls did not come on a couple of times, but they have since then. Shouldn't that part last longer than this? Any idea of how long it can be expected to last or what might affect that? I'm taking the car in tomorrow, but it's a very expensive part so I thought I'd see if anyone happened to see this question tonight. (I'm hoping it might have a simpler fix, but we are headed into a foggy area next week so I can't take a chance and nothing might show up in testing.) Thanks very much.
    Last longer? Yes, I would think so, but then it sounds like it didn't last any longer than this the first time around, either! If it is just an intermittent thing (no regularity to it), my suspicion is that it is a cracked solder point or, perhaps, a poor harness connection.

If the problem is very widespread, you might even be able to find instructions on how to repair it (DIY).
  • pathtomaxpathtomax Posts: 215
    Mine does it mostly in the cold weather. With the warmer weather, it is fine again. I did take videos of it to show the dealer for my next visit.

I did read about someone soldering/fixing a connection. I am NOT mechanically inclined, but could tell the dealership what to do. Is it easy to get to?
  • saywhatsaywhat Posts: 61
    Anyone know how to disable the warning bell for the front seat belts in the 05 legacy turbo?

Thanks!