Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    Cool Ken! Sounds like you had a normal share of injuries....

Did you use the Metra adapters?

Hopefully I'll get the direct line-in capability going in the next couple weeks, depending on how Mike's work goes on the other forum....

Craig
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Posts: 1,394
    Craig,

I thought it is a cleaner way to connect my IPOD to factory unit. If i keep factory stereo/speakers & not add amps, are you saying Clean sweep is NOT needed ?

any other cleaner way to hook IPOD/MP3. I am happy with factory sound.
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Craig,

Yes, I used the Metra adapters. They were relatively inexpensive (something like $20) and worked perfectly.

Now that I'm fairly comfortable getting in behind the center console, I'm seriously considering buying one of Mike's boards if the installation doesn't involve some fancy soldering.

It seemed like Mike was fairly close with the exception of getting the CD mute function resolved. I wasn't sure if he had connectors mounted to the board, however.

Ken
    Krisshna,

Craig summed it up, but with Clean Sweep, you're basically using the factory HU as an audio source (CD or FM). It intercepts the signal from the HU to the speakers and gives the added bonus of an AUX-in.

I exchanged some emails with the Clean Sweep people and it's not worth the money if your sole purpose is simply to add a line in. Like Craig wrote, you no longer can control volume and other settings from the HU. Also, with Clean Sweep you need to add your own amplifier to drive the speakers. Since the stock HU has an EQ curve adjusted for the stock speakers, chances are the resulting sound (if you simply added a Clean Sweep and a basic amp) would be rather flat.

Clean Sweep, IMO, is a great product if you are replacing the stock speakers and adding your own amp but don't want to change the appearance of your factory HU. It's simply overkill for adding an AUX-in.

Ken
    thanks, ken. very helpful.
    any other cleaner way to hook IPOD/MP3. I am happy with factory sound.

Are you happy with the quality when listening to FM radio? If so, then just get a wired FM modulator like Ken and I did. It is inexpensive, works quite well, and is a straightforward install. Further down the road (within a month I expect), we should have a direct line-level aux-in which will provide the best possible sound quality (basically as good as CD). However, it will have a bit more complexity.

Craig
    That was a good summary Ken!
  • ssmintonssminton Posts: 155
    I have been using a "wired" FM modulator for XM since my audio guy got creative enough last January to splice it in. Before, the "plug" was not yet available for the VDC radio. Don't know the status today. My current audio quality through XM is similar to the quality of digital FM stations. I do notice that when I am cruising at higher speeds on a nice day with the sunroof open, I prefer a CD or MP3. This is just due to the volume gain lost through the XM system. I can't seem to get it "loud" enough without distortion to fully enjoy in a noisy ambient enbironment. I use the XM Commander product.
  • chumchum Posts: 11
    Craig - Is this the same device that mvigeau is working on or something different? I'd much rather wait for a direct-in that allows me to use the phantom "Aux" button than an FM modulator.

chad
    Chad,

Yeah, that's the one!

Mike is using the phantom button to activate the relays on the aux-in switcher board, but that's an optional extra step (cool for sure, but a lot of extra and potentially risky tinkering). I would probably put in a separate switch/button to flip to the aux-in, or do some sort of auto-sense that will switch when it detects an aux-in signal (my current FM modulator does that). I wish Apple released the pin-out specs for the iPod dock connector, as that probably has it's own trigger that could be used to activate the aux-in. I tried getting the info out of them through my day job, and they would not do it unless I commited to an actual product. They are keeping that as proprietary as possible I guess.

Craig
  • I recently purchased a new 2.5I Legacy sedan with the Limited Pkg. I am very happy with the performance ( only 700 miles so far) of this vehicle. Last nite while driving around the Dayton, Ohio area ( it was very humid) my front window kept fogging up inside. I had it set on outside air and it did not seem to matter if the AC was on or off. The input was set on incoming air at the head & the feet. I had to keep turning on the defroster to clear the windshield. Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem?

Larry
    Larry,

Have you tried cleaning the inside of your windshield? New cars de-gas quite a bit and the result is a film on the inside of the glass. The film gives moisture a place to collect and hence cause film. Try wiping down the inside of your windshield with some glass cleaner and microfiber towels.

Ken
  • Ken

Thanks for your suggestion. I will definetly try this.

Larry
    Definitely not uncommon to fog up in humid weather. If you are bringing in outside air, this will carry in more vapor. I tend to leave my HVAC system on AUTO, and never see a fogging problem. Ken makes an important point about having clean windows, which may be the biggest factor.

Craig
    I had the same problem in my 1993 Legacy & in my 2001 OB & now in 2005 OB. Change the direction of air flow (from within to outside air or vice versa). problem solved.

Subaru is great is some things & pathetic in others. this is one of the pathetic things that they can't fix.
  • soupboysoupboy Posts: 15
    to replace my 02 WRX Wgn 5MT (sad sigh...). Needed something more "adult" and with more room for our midget. I think I'm getting a decent deal - Blk Ltd Wgn 5MT for $26.1K. Amenities included are short throw shifter, Momo knobs, metal pedz, alarm upgrade, mirror upgrade and armrest ext - total MSRP of about $31.5K.

On the audio front I'm debating whether or not to add the factory sub. I got it on my Rex but it seemed awfully boomy...not tight. I'm also interested in a cleaner iPod solution but will likely just go with the Monster FM/charger dongle until something truely better comes along.

I get to keep my P1s off my WRX for the Legacy - same offset/bolt pattern. If anyone needs a fresh set of GT rims and/or a full APS uppipe and TBE (100% catless) for a WRX (or Legacy GT for the uppipe) let me know.

$750 and one Ecutek reflash later I should have >300hp and >310 of twist to own unsuspecting ricers and krautmobiles! Also needs tint and a shave.

Happy trails
    Congratulations and welcome! I think you've snapped up one of the very few remaining 5MT 05 GT wagons for a great price.

The factory sub, IMO, is worth it. I have it on my GT wagon and recently had a chance to listen to an OBXT wagon without it. The difference in sound was noticeable and in favor of the factory sub-woofer.

I also recently installed a wired FM Modulator on my stock headunit for my iPod. I had been using a wirless transmitter (Belkin) for some time. The sound quality from the wired unit is much better and has none of the characteristic noise from wirless transmitters. Very well worth it.

Ken
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Hurry while there is still some selections of 05s, the manual tranny is history on the GT wagons for 06.

-juice
  • taddisontaddison Posts: 99
    FWIW, to my ears the sub-woofer in my 2005 Outback sounds a lot cleaner than the sub in my friend's 2002 model. I have always thought his sounded muddy, and was pleasantly surprised with the sound when I got my car.

I don't know if the sub itself has changed, but if not then I think they must be feeding it a better signal from the new head unit.

Tim.