Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    Well, one positive way to look at it is that any minor problems get discovered and worked out by the time the cars go on sale in North America. I don't really know why they stagger the releases like that, though. I can see why they'd launch in Japan first, since it's their home market, but an entire year seems like a long wait for the rest of us.

Anyone here know why Subaru always waits a year to sell next-gen Legacy in the US? Too costly to change two assembly plants in the same year?
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 679
    Crash tests are expensive! A change to a telescoping column would necessitate a new test AFAIK. Only a group of changes (new model year) makes that worthwhile.
  • itseditsed Posts: 17
    I would forget about the rickety US armrest extension and mail order the much nicer JDM or European part. It costs about the same and you get the benefit of an added storage area in the center console. Its also much sturdier.
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    I know a lot of people are unhappy with the US armrest extension. I actually like mine since it can fold down and out of the way. I did not like the fact that the European part could not be lowered.

The storage was not that important to me.

To each their own.

Karl
  • sullyaksullyak Posts: 30
    Thanks for your advise. Where can I get the JDM version?
    Thanks,
    Sullyak
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Try avoturboworld.com.

Ken
  • I have a 2005 OBXT which came with Bridgestone RE92A 225/55-17 tires. At 25K they are worn out -- not very impressive. I'm looking for advice on replacement tires. I'm not into high performance, drive moderately aggressivly, and never over 80 MPH. Here's some specs:

1. Significantly better mileage than the RE92As
    2. Under $100 would be nice
    3. Excellent wet traction (rains a lot here)
    4. Snow here is rarely an issue
    5. Non-directional (so I can cross-rotate)
    6. Perhaps I could use an H-rated tire
    7. Noise is not an issue (usually have audio cranked)
  • luck11luck11 Posts: 425
    I replaced my re92s (which still had 85% tread) on my 05 OBXTL with Falcon Ziex 512's. The RE's were simply terrible.

The Falcon's are relatively inexpensive all-season, but rated high for traction on dry and on wet. I have seperate set of winters. Only time will tell about the wear. BUT, they are uni-directional. So far, I am very happy with the tire.

Cheers.
  • chakichaki Posts: 3
    I am also interested in the JDM version but I cannot find the armrest in the mentioned website. Where should I look?
    Thanks.
    Chaki
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    Look under the Legacy section under Subaru. Do a search on "console". I think the results will be the parts you are looking for.

Karl
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I got a set of those same Falken on my Miata. Liked them so much that I now have a set on my Forester and on my wife's Legacy!

Shop vulcantire.com, great pricing.

-juice
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Posts: 775
    Yokohama AVID H4S or V4S - one of top rated tires. Not very expensive. Long tread life. Directional, though. Why would you want to cross-rotate?
  • luck11luck11 Posts: 425
    Doh! Horrendous spelling on my part. Thanks Juice....they are Falken, not Falcon. Geez.....
  • itseditsed Posts: 17
    I replaced my RE-92s with Bridgestone Turanza LS-V's. I got them on sale at a buy three get one free deal. Very satisfied with them. Took them once in the snow over Donner pass and had no problems, and great wet traction.
    It sounds like an all-season tire would suit you best, but there are two criteria that don't match: price and H-rated.

Even if you don't plan on driving over 80mph, you probably should stay with at least the same sidewall rating as the OE tires. The speed rating is also a measure of sidewall stiffness that has an impact on handling.

That said, it is hard to find any Z-rated or higher tire at the $100 range in your size from a name brand tire. My favorite budget-minded tire is the Dunlop SP5000 but I don't think it's available in the size and speed rating.

Have you tried searching on Tire Rack?

Ken
  • An attempt to get the most uniform wear pattern by doing both a front-back and left-right rotation. Fronts go straight to rear and rears cross to front (or something like that). Directional tires preclude this.
  • rob_mrob_m Somewhere North of BostonPosts: 795
    Is it advisable to cross-rotate radial tires? I thought this could lead to tire belt problems.

I am seriously considering a set of Yokohama Avid V4S tires for my wife's Outback. Tire rack gives them extremely good ratings. FWIW, I have a set of Yoko AVS on my Mustang GT, and the wet traction is awesome. Rob M.
    Not cross rotating radial tires is an outdated practice. Early radial tires did have a tendency for problems to happen with the belt when doing this, but I believe it's not an issue anymore.

My guess is that Subaru recommends a front-to-back since it's the most conservative of all rotation patterns. It will handle even directional tires as well. However, the rotation pattern should also be dictateed by tire wear. A performance alignment specialty shop I sometimes use does this and it can make a huge difference in treadlife.

Ken
  • bruce3bruce3 Posts: 13
    I bought the Falkien 512s about a year ago. They wear very well and are much better in snow. Handling may not be quite as good.
  • Correct. When radials first appeared many years ago the recommendation was to not cross-rotate; I can't remember whether the problem was real or imaginary. In any event the problem long ago disappeared. Since then it has become "urban myth". Your theory about Subaru's rotation makes sense -- then the owner doesn't have to worry about tire directionality. My opinion is that cross-rotation does make a big difference. Hence my desire for non-directional tires.