Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• garandmangarandman Posts: 524
    Replace the stock Bridgestone Potenzas and the handling improves dramatically. I put Goodyear F1 GS D3's on my 3.0R - incredible difference. I was able to do about 15 laps on a short test course at Lime Rock and it handled very well, without any other changes. But going to larger swaybars is a possibility - cheap and easy.
    Another reason why the H6 is not an option on the US Legacy GT is that the market is probably too small to justify another option code.
    Or that SOA does not have a handle on the American market? How does it make sense to offer a manual shift Outback XT wagon - but not a manual shift Legacy GT wagon? That choice was dropped after 2005.

SOA could simply offer the Spec B Legacy wagon sold just about everywhere else - with the 3.0 and 6 speed manual. And those are vehicles exported from Japan, versus being assembled here.

There are no Outback specific coilover units on the market to lower the Outback, to my knowledge. There are several swaybar kits and the JDM swaybars.

Almost all my complaints about the Outback suspension went away after replacing the stock Potenza RE92A's with Goodyear F1 GS D3 tires. I didn't get a chance to autocross it but was able to do about 15 laps on a test track at Lime Rock, CT at a Skip barber school, which included letting an instructor (with a WRX sportwagon) drive it for a few laps. It handles very well and embarassed some other cars. I left the booster seat in the back to prove a point....
  • satire2satire2 Posts: 22
    We're trying to sell the stock Bridgestones on an online auction and, after several passes, there are NO bidders! And hardly anyone even looks at the listing!

Egads! Subaru is using original equipment tires that are, at 1500 miles, literally WORTHLESS in the marketplace!!

Those are from a GT sedan. We also have a 2.5i auto wagon. The wagon is perfectly average and perfectly acceptable, acceleration-wise. There has to be something terribly wrong with us that we crave more and more mostly-useless power!

=gregg=
    Usually folks sell them one at a time to other GT owners who trash one of the originals, since they sell for $175 or so.

I tried to sell mine as new takeoffs for $50 per pair and got no takers. I bought some 17" Maxima rims and put them on our Quest minivan.
    Good advice - thanks!

=gregg=
    Would you care to elaborate? That's the first I've heard of it. Does the ECU store the settings in some type of non-volatile memory? From what model year and how would one reset the ECU in this case?

I have twice posted responses and they were removed. I give up.
  • aaykayaaykay Posts: 539
    I was told that the Legacy wagon (including GT) and the Outback Sedan would be dropped completely from the 08 model year. The wagons would then be solely retained in the Outback line and the Sedans to be retained solely as a 'Legacy'.

The good thing here is that the Impreza is being moved to a shortened version of the Legacy platform and hence a version of the 'Legacy' will still be available as a wagon.
    We also have a 2.5i auto wagon. The wagon is perfectly average and perfectly acceptable, acceleration-wise. There has to be something terribly wrong with us that we crave more and more mostly-useless power!

If the 2.5i wagon came with the quicker steering ratio of the WRX (or at least the Leg.GT) and its Front-wheel biased AWD were swapped with the rear-biased AWD of the EAT WRX/GT, and it came with a rear LSD and the better brakes of the LGT/WRX, I would unhesitatingly pick it over the more expensive Turbo variants. The engine power itself is more than sufficient for my needs.
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    I guess it all depends on what your definition for fun-to-drive is. The OBXT, when compared to SUVs is more fun to drive. Compared to a sports sedan or wagon, you simply can't defy the laws of physics.

It is too bad Subaru dropped the 5MT LGT Wagon. While the WRX scores definetly high on the fun scale, it's targeted at a different market segment and hence the more spartan interior.

I have the 5EAT transmission on my LGT wagon. In my case, I had the choice between the 5MT or 5EAT since I bought in MY2005. Of course, for any car, especially a turbo, a manual tranny will win hands-down on fun.

However, in my case, I weighed in the factor of being a daily commuter and wife-friendly (won't drive stick). Also in favor of the 5EAT was a better AWD system, the fact that I would be hard pressed to snick off shifts any smoothly and quickly on my own and that I didn't have the best experience with Subaru manuals before. I would have gone MT if Subaru had offered the current Spec B 6MT in a wagon, however.

The 5EAT does have more pronounced lag compared to the 5MT, however, I found it to be acceptable. Also, it makes itself noticeable to me really only when accelerating hard from a stop. On the highway, it's not noticeable.

I've driven the older 2.0T WRX with 4EAT and the lag is far less pronounced on the Legacy GT wagon. The larger displacement engine and lower gearing from the 5-speed definetly helps.

Ken
    True, while SOA could simply import a model, that still adds costs to them. Subaru would still need to submit it to various tests, carry the burden of a unique inventory number as well as consider spare parts and aftermarket service as well. Adding a model or option isn't as easy as one thinks.

But yes, I would love to see a 3.0 6MT model!

Ken
    LOL. Oh well. Were you posting a link to a non-Edmund's forum? Unfortuantely, that's verboten around here...

Ken
    Gregg,

I've had luck selling lightly used tires to a local tire shop before. Sometimes they will get a customer with AWD and one bad tire that is looking for an alternative to replacing all four.

But, yeah, it's unfortunate the stock RE92As get such a bad rap. They're okay for OE freebies.

Ken
    True, while SOA could simply import a model, that still adds costs to them. Subaru would still need to submit it to various tests, carry the burden of a unique inventory number as well as consider spare parts and aftermarket service as well. Adding a model or option isn't as easy as one thinks.

Isn't the model that we are talking about (3.0 H6 with 5EAT in the Legacy GT body) already available in near identical form in the Outback variant (Outback LL Bean/VDC etc) ? What additional spareparts and aftermarket service are we talking about, that cannot be managed with existing infrastructure ? :confuse:
    I think he was talking about a 3.0 mated to a 6-speed imported from Japan. But even in the case that the parts were all available here, there still are costs associated with carrying a distinct model/option combination -- administrative, advertising, etc. There's a reason why manufacturers of any type of product limit the number of possible combinations.

Ken
    If SOA was concerned with the costs of carrying different models why did they offer new colors this year? There are now seven Outback models and seven Legacy models. They include an XT wagon with manual shift and an LLBean sedan.

The issue is does SOA marketing understand what customers want. Do you seriously believe SOA will sell more LLBean sedans than they would manual shift Legacy GT wagons?
    "The issue is does SOA marketing understand what customers want."

Interesting question.

Now take a good look at the styling of the Tribeca. Well?

In addition, look at Legacy color choices the last few years. Color can and should be such an area of relatively inexpensive joy for both manufacturers and car buyers, and yet Subaru acts as if there were an international pigment shortage.

=gregg=
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    I think it's also a matter of what sells the best, and what they can get the most profit out of. Historically, the Outback models far, far outsell the Legacy models. So I am not surprised to see some cutbacks on the Legacy side to free up more production for Outbacks (and have no doubt whatsoever that LL Beans will outsell Legacy wagons). It makes sense from the business side.

My gripes are lack of 5EAT and VDC in lesser models, and lack of exterior colors paired with the darker interiors. Subaru seems to have concluded that everybody wants a beige interior and doesn't mind the aging 4EAT and lack of stability control. You can buy entry level cars from other makes with 5-spd autos and stability control. To have these absent on the majority of the Legacy/Outback line is really pathetic.
    So I am not surprised to see some cutbacks on the Legacy side to free up more production for Outbacks (and have no doubt whatsoever that LL Beans will outsell Legacy wagons).

Sorry, I believe he mentioned Outback LL Bean Sedans. If there is something that sells worse than the Legacy wagons, those would be the Outback sedans. So the point was that they increased production of the wrong vehicle type.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,645
    I saw an Outback LLBean sedan last week.. Not a good look for a sedan..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    I guess the real comparison should be why they offer the 5-spd manual in the Outback XT wagon and not the LGT wagon. And that we don't know without some inside reasoning from SOA. But my guess would be that sales of the 5MT XT wagon versus the 5MT LGT wagon justified it.

Of course, you can't get an Outback 2.5i Ltd or Legacy 2.5i Ltd with 5MT anymore either -- only the base models of each line are available with 5MT.

Either the market has shifted even further from demanding 5MT, or their supply was constrained. Either way, Subaru is clearly picking and choosing where to offer that option compared to years past when only the H6 models were not offered with 5MT.