Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Patti,

That's some major endorsement coming from you, especially the earlier comment about 5EAT being smooth and fun to drive.

I even stopped by my local dealer to check on when the GTs are coming in.

I'm faaaaalllllliiinnnnnnnggggg!

Ken
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    So when did the local dealer tell you the GT's WERE coming in?????

:)
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Posts: 1,676
    on a VERY smooth and comfortable landing - in a new Subaru!

Patti
  • tlimatlima Posts: 124
    Ok, merging onto I95 N today in Rhode Island, and low and behold, an '05 Outback cruising along side. License plate was a RI plate, but had the letters M.E.D vertically along the left side and a low number. I assumed it was a Doc or something, but maybe M.E.D. stands for something else. It was not a dealer plate.

Anyway, the guy driving noticed me looking as I passed in my '01 Forester, he then came around and passed me on the left. It was a silver metallic with only the words Subaru and Outback on the back. No dealer insignia or hideous dealer plate frames.

Looked nice, very sleek, and kinda small. It was tall, with the suspension rods angling way down towards the wheels. Lots of ground clearance here. Looks a little Volvo-ish - which can be seen from the pics here and there.

From checking this forum, I didn't think they were out for sale yet, but maybe I missed it.

Awaiting the sedans....
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    I was told early June.

Ken
  • beanboybeanboy Posts: 442
    Told early to mid June at my local Soobie dealer in Norwood, MA.
  • iluvsubaru2iluvsubaru2 Posts: 56
    Patti, Juice, etal (and any tall 2005 OB owners):

I've had a yearning for the OB VDC ever since I drove one, years ago. Unfortunately the MANDATORY moonroof made comfort, let alone crash safety, an insurmountable problem to buying one.

I've seen photos of the 2005 OB and it appears to have a "hump" in the roof. Is there more headroom in the 2005 OB vs 2004?

Absent more headroom in 2005 will Subaru USA at last decouple this valuable safety feature from the moonroof by making the moonroof optional in the OB VDC? Appreciate any input.

Thanks,
    Jake (a 6'4" Forester owner)
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,024
    We're editing the title and moving this entire discussion to the Subaru Crew board.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• purduealum91purduealum91 Posts: 223
    and Im not even considering an 05! Considering an 04 Outback I am.
  • magoonmagoon Posts: 32
    My local dealer is scheduled to receive a silver GT Ltd 5 speed on May 17. I ordered it early but will not be taking delivery though. I bought a Volvo S60R instead.
  • bblachabblacha Posts: 160
    New England dealers have had the Outbacks and Legacy 2.5i's for almost two weeks now. But I don't think they're allowed to sell. Must've been a dealer-owned car.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Dealers have the 2.5i models. No turbos spottings yet, though.

The new ones do have more head room. Here's me in the back seat of a sedan with a moonroof, I'm 6' even:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288069365&p=4194565477- &idx=47

-juice
  • iluvsubaru2iluvsubaru2 Posts: 56
    Juice,
    Thanks for the link to your photos. They suggest a couple inches more of headroom over the 2004. Does that sound right? That might get me into a 2005 OB VDC. Any idea if the moonroof is mandatory on VDC?

Earlier postings on this board (re: VDC on more trim lines, models) express similar frustrations I've experienced trying to buy a Subaru with VDC. Why, I wonder, after all these years, is VDC still only offered on one trimline. Many Subaru wannabes are now offering AWD sedans, wagons (and God knows what else in 2005) and some have stability control options across all model lines.

Safety sells. Foresters prove that. But Subaru's improvements in crash protection arn't matched by similar improvements in collision avoidance. Subaru seems to be leaving the market to others.

Jake
    PS: Pleased to see 2005s offer Side Air Curtains. Half of all the traumatic brain injuries occur in auto crashes. If well designed and executed, side curtains with large SABs offer a lot of protection from TBI. Hope 2005s get early IIHS/NHTSA reviews.
  • vincentwangvincentwang Posts: 42
    I'm considering a 05 legacy, seems both have similar MPG. Why?
    I only test drived the 04AUTO, it's smooth. How about the maunal one? I have no idea which one will be more durable in long-trem.
    Thanks in advance!
  • rob999rob999 Posts: 233
    The similar MPG in the auto vs manual is due to the higher axle gearing in the MT version. At highway speed the MT is forced to rev higher (3,500 RPM at 75 MPH) than the auto version (around 3,000 - 3,100 in the auto, IIRC)

Why Subaru uses the higher ratio in the MT is beyond me. Fuel economy and highway cruising would be greatly improved with a lower ratio.

My top wish for the 2006 MT models - lower axle ratios and a MT transmission with a wider low-high range. OK, make it a 6-speed too.
  • r34r34 Posts: 178
    I knew the current Legacy was made in US. Some said the 2005 will be made in Japan but some said it will be built in US.

I checked Edmunds and it said it will be manufactured in Japan ? If it is the case, it is a plus.

Usually, how much rebate or incentive we can get from Subaru (of course not in the first year) ?

Thanks.
    Outbacks AND Legacies for the US/Canadian market are made in Lafayette, Indiana.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,447
    I also wish a 6 speed was available. Except it seems like many manufacturers make 6th gear where 5th was to eeek out a couple of tenths to 60. I think they percieve shifting down at highway speeds a huge weekness, so they don't like tall gears in "sporty" cars. A corolla is about 2,900 rpm @ 75, hence its EPA 40 mpg highway. TSX is about 2,100 @ 60 for the automatic, but 2,600 for the 6-speed. Hence the automatic gets better highway mileage. The Miata 6 speed is 3,000 at 60, so it gets worse highway mileage than some V-8's.
  • mjc440mjc440 Posts: 76
    I own a 2004 Legacy 5 spd manual. When the '05s come out, I'll be getting the auto. I really dislike the manual. It is geared way to LOW (HIGHER numerically axle ratio). At 70 MPH, the engine is turning 3,000 RPMs.

I just checked my gas mileage (ran through about 10 tanks) and got 30.5 MPG (primarily highway - between 65 - 70 MPH), so gas mileage isn't too bad considering the low gearing.
  • pon1pon1 Posts: 196
    Cool pictures posted on subaruoutback.org, follow links to forums/general/2005 US Leg and OB models...

Not sure I am allowed to post a link

JP
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I hit up a Subaru dealer in Central Jersey today. They just took delivery of their first 2005 Legacy- an Atlantic Blue Pearl 2.5i 5M. I couldnt test drive it, due to time constraints. But it sure looked great. This is the first time I've seen the standard alloys- they're sharp, and the center stack looks just as good with non-auto climate control. Plastic coverings all over the interior, but the cloth seemed very nicely patterned and of high quality.

I'm sorry I missed the chat tonight, Im going to try to tune in next week.

~alpha
  • goneskiiangoneskiian Posts: 381
    Are they "made" in Lafayette or is it just the final assembly point? I'm confused as I've heard the engines are actually made in Japan, but I also have heard SIA is firing up an engine assembly plant as well. I know I've seen a website for SIA but can't seem to recall (or find) the URL at the moment.

-Ian
    The engine plant you spoke of was announced in 2000 and is operational. Even the turbo engines are now made in Lafayette. I am not certain about the H6, which may indeed come from Japan.

See:

http://tinyurl.com/yrdkx
  • rob999rob999 Posts: 233
    To mjc440: I would be ecstatic if I could get 30.5 MPG out of my MT Outback. The car is rated at 27 MPG and my best ever "interstate road trip" MPG was 25. (I've kept a spreadsheet since new.) I'm running synthetic engine and gear oil, clean air filter and tires at the proper PSI and alignment and that's the best I can do. I accelerate conservatively, but the posted speed is 70 MPH on the highways I drive, so I nominally cruise at 75 MPH.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    The sticker on the window of the Atlantic blue 2.5i showed the point of final assembly as Lafayette, but the engine and transmission assembly points as "Japan".

~alpha
  • gearhead4gearhead4 Posts: 122
    I can validate 30+ MPG in a Legacy.

I exceeded 30 mpg during several trips in my 2000 Legacy with MT. One trip averaged 32 mpg. I wish I could say the same for my 2003 Legacy with the Automatic trans. The best I have seen with the 2003 auto is 28 MPG. I would gladly trade even for a manual transmission.

gearhead4
  • j3studioj3studio Posts: 27
    Folks,

I'm asking for a reality check on whether a 2005 2.GT Ltd Wagon with the 5A would be a good idea for us as our next daily driver. Let me describe our current situation:

1) Married, no kids and none on the way

2) Current daily driver is a 1999 Chrysler 300M, now with 85,000 miles. It was our only car when we bought it, so it served our sporting pretensions, but those are now served by a brace of Corvettes

3) The wife does most of the daily driving and really wants 4-wheel drive this time (we live in Pennsylvania). She also likes performance (the Chrysler has 253 bhp) and handling (it's got the Performance Handling Package, which has a fairly European feel)

4) We lug the usual homeowner stuff around in the 300M and use the fold-down seats a lot, so we eliminated the Legacy sedan from consideration when we found out that it didn't have a fold-down seat

5) I've gotton accustomed to the 'near-luxury' of the Chrysler, so, if we got the Legacy, we would buy it loaded

6) I realize that the Subaru is a fairly big change, which is why I'd really like to make the right decision - we'd love to have our next daily driver for 6 or 7 years.

What do you think? Any and all advice appreciated...
  • kevin111kevin111 Posts: 991
    In terms of performance, the Legacy GT will be far superior to the 300m. Even though both have similar power, the Legacy GT will be faster, with 0-60 times over 2 seconds faster than the 300m (0-60 in 7.8 secs). Also, the GT will be more nimble and a better handler (even the loaded wagon will be about 200 lbs. less than the 300M).

Ride quality should be good in the GT (per the Edmunds review).

Personally, I want to see what some of the car magazines say, as well as Consumer Reports before I decide, but it looks like the Legacy will be a serious contender in the mid-level sedan arena, if not a home run.

Article on the 2005 Legacy -
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/subaru/legacy/100396955/roadtesta- rticle.html?articleId=101838

Info on the '99 300M - http://www.edmunds.com/used/1999/chrysler/300m/14123/specs.html?t- id=edmunds.u.prices.leftsidenav..6.Chrysler*
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,977
    Goes to show the negative impact of the Outback (raised up, more "off-roadish" tires) on gas mileage. Just compare the EPA sticker on an '04 standard wagon vs. an outback to see what the relative difference you should expect is.

At least 25 is much better than you would get from an Exploder or other real SUV.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

• subewannabesubewannabe Posts: 403
    The Legacy should be just the ticket for you. To get comparable performance, features and AWD you would need to spend at least $10,000 more to move up to an Audi S4 or BMW 3 series wagon with AWD. Since I assume the Corvettes stay home on snow days, you might consider getting a second set of rims and keep one set shoed with true winter radials, e.g., Bridgestone Blizzaks for a go-anywhere vehicle for November through March and the second set with true performance tires for April through October.The Legacy GT suspension set-up, low CG and grippy low-profile tires will make you forget the "European" feel of a 300M before you get out of the first curve, even with the 5 speed SportShift Auto. Happy shopping!

Mark