Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    IIRC I saw those for $22k when new at fitzmall. Almost 2 years later they should be 20-30% less, so aim for no more than $18k.
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 683
    There is one big advantage for cloth seats and NO sun roof: lots more head room for those who like to adjust the seat high and still have enough head room.

Also if the GT is a wagon, it is not available as an 08 AFAIK.

Only 13k miles is worth something extra.
  • kronogoosekronogoose Posts: 116
    Thanks for the advice. As it turns out, the car was involved in a "fender bender" about a year ago, but for some reason, the title was sold to an insurance company. I'm not sure why that would happen unless the car was totalled.

In the past year, the car has changed hands five times between a couple of car dealers and private sellers. I've seen the title and it is not a salvage/rebuild, but I just have a bad feeling about it. I'm going to pass.

My credit union uses the NADA guides, which tend to be more conservative (lower vehicle values) than Kelley Blue Book. NADA showed the value as $19,900. It may be a regional issue (I'm in Utah), but $20K seems to be on the low side for asking prices.

My next target: a 2005 LGT Wagon Limited auto, this time from a used car dealer. No red flags from Carfax and it looks like a one-owner vehicle. Asking price is $21K with about 21K miles. I wish I could find one with low miles and a manual transmission!

Thanks again,

Greg
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Similar quandry as myself. For me I think I may opt for an 07 or 08 LGT Sedan 5MT as the price isn't that much more than the used 05/06

-mike
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    In the past year, the car has changed hands five times between a couple of car dealers and private sellers. I've seen the title and it is not a salvage/rebuild, but I just have a bad feeling about it. I'm going to pass.

Oh yeah. That's a car I'd want to own. :sick:

Good call on walking away.
    5 owners?

Run, don't walk, away.
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    I'm not going to get into a huge discussion about this, but what you're doing is an awful idea. A spin-on filter displacing at most 1/3 quart cannot have a 25k mile life. No way.

Go back to Mobil1 or something similarly priced and a Wix or Purolator filter. Change every 5,000 miles for best results, or 7,500 at most. Done.

I'm not a huge AMSOil fan. I suppose it could be worse, there's always Royal Purple right? :)

~Colin
    I've had good luck with Amsoil, and the place that put my trans in the Legacy for me put in RP. No issues with it so far with at least 30 or so HPDEs and some races and 25k street miles.

Anything in particular bad about Amsoil? Just curious cause i'm about to put it in the boat motors....

-mike
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    There's nothing bad about the oil, no, even Royal Purple for that matter. They are overpriced and overkill because your filter cannot last that long.

If you have a remote filter kit, dry sump, etc then I can see it because you can change that without losing hardly any oil.

~Colin
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    I certainly appreciate your feedback. Since I have about 500 miles on the car since the last oil change, this is the time for it!

Even if I go with a 6 month interval (or less if I were to drop to a 5/7.5K schedule), I still cannot see the point in changing out all of the engine oil unless it really needs it. Like you said, those tiny little spin-ons only hold about 1/3 quart, so change the filter, top it off, and call it good.

If a 20,000 change interval on oil rated for twice that results in a sludged/seized up engine, the oil manufacturer would need to answer for that. My guess is that the change interval already accounts for it. But, like you said, no reason to go into a long discussion about it.

I really do not expect to keep this car much longer unless I just cannot find a buyer for it, so I will likely leave the decision to the next owner and supply that person with the extra filters and oil I currently have on hand.

The gear oil seems to have made a big positive improvement on morning cold starts and, possibly, mileage. No more gummy transmission and rear end in the mornings, and avg MPG up about 3 mpg in the last two weeks (with, I would estimate, 1 of those fully attributable to the oil - the other two perhaps to warmer daytime temps, though night/morning temps still at -15 to -20).
  • plim77plim77 Posts: 46
    I just had the oil changed for the 1st time in my 2005 Outback H6 (I bought the car used). I looked at the receipt and it shows that it took 7 quarts of oil. Of course, since this is more than 5 quarts, Pep Boys charged me an additional $4. Have other folks with H6 engines experienced this? Or was I over charged?
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    It's at least 6 qts (look in the owner's manual for the exact numbers). It's hard to get a reading on the H6 engines, so they may have added more than needed (which is not an issue unless it's more than 0.5-1 quart too much). Then again, Pep Boys doesn't have a good reputation here -- a couple years ago, they drained some guys transmission (instead of the engine) during an oil change, then dumped 5 more quarts of oil in his engine. Wrecked both the engine and transmission. Be sure to double check their work.
    I see colin, thanks for the input. I have to decide if I'll go with the Mercury Racing Synthetic or the Amsoil for the 502s in the boat. I believe those filters are inverted so you don't lose too much of the 8+ quarts those engines take.

-mike
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    My 3.0 takes 5.8 quarts. The dipstick is nearly impossible to read based on my experience. If I put 6 quarts in the oil is barely visbile on the dipstick. My guess is that they did not follow the 5.8 quart recommendation, but rather, filled it up until it measured full, which is why it may quite well have taken 7 quarts.
    Pep Boys doesn't have a good reputation here

You're not kidding.

I just got 2 new tires for my Miata (sidewall got slashed so there was no hope), and had to have them mounted. In a pinch, I went to get them mounted, and most places did not have open time slots for that day, so I went to Pep Boys.

They left greasy finger prints on the door, the trunk (where the flat was), the steering wheel, and the shift knob. I'm still working to get the mess cleaned up.

If they don't take care with obvious things like that, imagine the small things you don't see. :lemon:

I re-torqued my lug nuts as soon as I got home.
    I re-torqued my lug nuts as soon as I got home.

I hope it was a short drive! I had a pair of tires "inspected" at a local shop and they forgot to torque them at all - just had them hand tight. I drove 12 miles home and started hearing a "thunk" sound (as well as feeling the car jiggle) about 1/2 mile from home. I stopped, checked the wheels, and nearly all 10 of the nuts were about to fall off! I was counting my blessing after that one.... plus they got an earful the next day.
    It wasn't, actually. Probably 8 miles or so. I took it easy.

You definitely, positively, get what you pay for.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    Somewhere around 8 years ago or so, I took my ol' '91 Legacy into a Q-Lube. I had just had a new automatic transmission put into the Legacy perhaps a week earlier. The Q-Lube guys tried to convince me the transmission fluid was way overdue to be replaced. Never been back to a quick-lube place since then.

Though it's interesting, I've never been into doing my own under-the-hood work (& I don't have a garage, so that's a deterrent too, when it's raining 2/3 of the year), so I just go to the dealer now. They've got their own no-appointment oil & tire facility w/a nice, clean, big waiting area, internet hookup, large flatscreen TV, & tons of toys to keep my son occupied. (Heh heh, he gets excited to go to "Carter Subawoo" to play & sit in the showroom models too - which I also like, of course.) :)

When we got our '06 Legacy, the dealer offered a one-time prepaid fee of $550-$600 or so for oil changes for life. Considering we kept our last Legacy 14 years, and plan on keeping this one awhile, it was a no-brainer for us to go that route. When we go in for major service, they deduct the oil change price from the bill, too.
    From what I have heard and my experience, Carter seems like a top-notch place. Perhaps someday I will be able to do business with them. :D
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    It's not a fancy dealership by any means, and the front-line customer service can be so-so at times, but Carter has a great inventory, convenient hours of operation & loaner cars, very good pricing (online, at least), low-key/no-pressure employees, and has definitely earned my trust and repeat business through the years. Perfect? No. But darn good. I'm rambling. :blush: