Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• beverenbeveren Posts: 3
    c hunter, Thanks. I am talking about an aux-in to the radio. I believe that this is what I was looking for. I have a transmitter broadcasting the iPod signal to my FM radio and it isn't satisfactory. I am unsure of how I read the selection being played. Do I still need to read the iPod, or is it displayed on the radio screen?
  • chetlaninchetlanin Posts: 1
    I have an 06 Outback 2.5 Limited. Right around 8k miles i started to encounter a whistling noise coming from the front axle which disappersa on high speeds and when car comes to a stop it turns into a moaning and groaning low pitch noise. It sounds a lot like a subway train when it comes to a stop. It does not happen all the time. The only possible condition I was able to track - a lot of stop and go traffic. I had a technician look at the breaks - nothing. It does not seem to affect performance (breaking or otherwise) at all Any ideas??
  • subarufaqsubarufaq Posts: 3
    I had almost the same problem a few days ago. The axle got louder at around 25-35 mph. The following post really helped me out. I kept backing up in a very quiet neighborhood until I heard something getting out. I sometimes drove on roads where construction was going on. Maybe my Outback picked up some stone or wood debris there.
    ---------------------------------------------
    kmclean, "Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+" #9576, 30 Nov 2006 12:25 pm

Fourth vote for a pebble. Had that happen to me last summer - sure got my attention. Stopped the car (no effect on braking noted), backed up about 20-30 yards or so, that solved the problem. I assume the reverse motion helped back out the pebble the way it came in.
  • subarufaqsubarufaq Posts: 3
    Thanks, kmclean! You saved me a trip to a service shop.
  • gmwaltersgmwalters Posts: 20
    I just test drove a 2007 CR-V and a 2007 2.5i over the exact same circuit. 2.5i drove and handled very well, but the air conditioning never seemed to get the car cool ( the air coming out seemed cool). What's the consensus on the air conditioning performance of the 2.5i outback...anyone find it somewhat weak?
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    The last time we had this discussion, I had yet to use the A/C on my 2007 Outback, but never had any problems with it in my '96 Outback - even in 100+ Eastern Oregon heat.

The last week here in Fairbanks was 80+ degrees most days, so I gave it a work out. I agree - I think it is weak. It works fine for 85 degrees, but it keeps the car at *just* comfortable going full fan and on recirculate.

The problem is that it does not run on full cold continuously. It will get extremely cold for about 5 seconds, then it is cool for another 5-10, then extremely cold again. If it stuck to extremely cold, it would be excellent and I would actually need to turn the fan speed down to keep the car at a comfortable temperature.

Now, were I to take it to Eastern Oregon again in August with 100+ degree days, I think it would fail miserably. Or maybe it would just fail and I would be the miserable one!

There was a fella here a couple weeks back complaining about the A/C on his car in Georgia. I can certainly see his point now.

It may be more effective in the sedans (which have less air space and fewer windows). It is not bad, but it is not great either.
  • plim77plim77 Posts: 46
    I owned a 2005 Honda CR-V which I traded in for a 2005 Subaru Outback LLBean 3.0. My wife drives a 2006 Legacy 2.5i.

I agree that the CR-V's air conditioner was much cooler and was able to get the car really cold, really fast. However, I've had no problems with either Subaru's air conditioner (The 2.5i has the standard AC, the 3.0 has the temperature control). It's not as strong, but still effective.

Overall it's a relatively minor thing. The Subaru is a much better car- I've owned 3 Honda Accords before the CR-V. I'll probably stick with Subaru for a very long time.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    Another thought... CRV comes with tint from the factory, correct? Did the Outback have aftermarket window tint, or no tint? Outback has pretty substantial glass area, so this can make a huge difference.

We've tinted our Outback and Legacy (just a medium tint, nothing really dark), and have absolutely no problems with the car cooling. $250 should do it. Don't go with cheap tint or a cheap shop... with tinting, you generally get what you pay for.
    I was thinking the same thing and, if I were to keep the car, I would tint the windows. Not only would it be a nice solar reduction for children in the rear seats, but would probably look very good on a silver car. ;)
  • plim77plim77 Posts: 46
    I agree completely. The CR-V does have factory tinted windows in the rear seat and cargo area (the front windows were not).

I've been planning on getting the Outback's windows tinted- the Subarus on TV commercials and catalogues look cool with them tinted, not to mention what you said about helping to keep the car cool.

I still have to work on my wife. I think she doesn't want the tint because then she can't wave at her friends when she drives!
    Easy fix, there! Just tint the 5 windows in the rear and call it a day. No visibility issues and the cool factor is still in effect. ;)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The dual sunroof lets in even more heat, but at least there's a sunshade for that.
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    If you do the tinting make sure to do the sunroofs as well. I think a decent tint job makes the car look really nice, besides cooling it down. Here's my 06 OB with the 35% tint done all around.

See more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

The 20% would look nicer, but I felt it would be too dark.

Mark
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Gotta say that looks pretty SCHWEET!
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    Looks sharp, Mark! Black-on-black's very sporty! Sure not what I picture when I think of a Beaner (2-tone, earthy colors). ;)

We have 35% on ours, too, same reasoning... plus 35%'s the legal limit here. We had ours done in a subtle bronze color (can look pinkish if it's 20%, though), which I think works well with the ivory interior and allows warmer-toned light into the cabin, which I like in my often gray corner of the world.
  • gmwaltersgmwalters Posts: 20
    It seemed to me that it was a matter of air volume being circulated rather than the temp of the air coming out of the ducts. The blower was set as high as it would go (4); if i did that in my Accord or my Explorer, I would freeze. Just returned from a trip in the Explorer where is was 91 degrees and the air conditioner actually made the interior COLD when set about midway speed. The Explorer does have factory tinted glass, but both the Accord and Explorer seem to move quite a bit more air.
  • oldadcoldadc Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me the filter location on the 2003
    3.0 L outback ?

Thanks
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    Look in the owners manual for details (or even better, the instructions that come with the replacement filter). Basically, it's behind/under the glovebox.
  • luck11luck11 Posts: 425
    Funny, I find the AC on my 05 OB XTL just fine, in fact, think its overkill. We were driving in 95 degree weather (felt like 104 when they factor in humidity) up here in the Great White North (Eastern Ontario) and we had plenty of AC. Mind you, I too have my car tinted with 35% all around, including the roof.

What ticks me off with this system is that I had to crank the climate control to 25.5 celcius (80 degrees F) just to get the AC to run so that wasn't freezing my arms off. Geez...I get enough cold during our winters!!!

Other thing that irks me, and not sure if it is still a problem on current Soobs, but if I want fresh air (no AC) coming in thru the vents and set the climate to lowest setting (ie 18 degrees C), the system blows out HOT air! This is especially true if the car is motionless while the engine is running a while. Frustrating.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    That is pretty much across the board though, anytime you have fresh air coming in and it's warm ambient temps you will have engine heat getting sucked in. I have the same issue on my Armada, my 240sx, my first gen legacy, my SVX, etc.

-mike