Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Have someone else drive and crawl around listening for rattles. When you find one, try to isolate it by putting your finger on/around it. See if you can quiet the rattle.

Dealers have "ears", i.e. a device that should help then narrow it down, but they likely won't here the rattle if the car isn't in motion.

Better yet - crank up the tunes. :shades:
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    Better yet - crank up the tunes.

Great suggestions, one and all!

1. The dealer puts 25-30 miles on the car each time I bring it in, so they are definitely driving it. They really have no good excuse for not hearing the rattles, but I suppose there is that "plausible deniability" factor. The surmised, after the second visit, that leaving it in their shop all day might reduce the likelihood of the rattles because the car is warmer, but they insist they left it outdoors on the 3rd visit and I drove it there sans heater that morning when it was about 5 degrees. All five rattles were creating beautifully unharmonious music all the way to their shop.

2. I usually prefer to not listen to music/radio, especially on short drives, as I prefer the music of the driving experience all by itself. I feel more connected to the car/road without the radio drowning out the machine sounds. However, I do prefer radio to rattle! When I do have the radio on, it is at a space-filling volume, and the rattles are not quite so annoying. Probably not surprising, but I almost always have the radio on in my Caravan. Not quite the same "driving experience" in that thing... am I wrong?! ;)

3. Great idea regarding the close inspection while in motion. Maybe my neighbor will be willing to do that with me when he gets back to town from DC. After all, I am spending hours of my day keeping his house from freezing up while he is away! :D
    I did that with someone here who happened to live close to me. We trace it to the rear axle, and eventually diagnosed a bad rear wheel bearing.

We were even able to narrow it down to which axle, and which side. And we were right.

He changed both wheel bearings, right and left on the rear axle, because they should be replaced in pairs.
  • Don't know if you saw my posting a while back about there being a service bulletin for the cold weather rear tail gate rattle. (Recall your car had this problem). After five or more trips to the dealer and installing some parts they were able to eliminate it.
    I did, but my internet browsing incompetence shone through when I tried to reference the TSB and came up with nothing. :blush:
  • On SOA's website, you click on Owners (top of page) and then on Technical Information. I don't remember my exact steps, but I typed in my year and model of my car and did a search for tailgate rattle, and it gave me a a title, Cold weather tailgate rattle, and a Bulletin number. You have to pay to find out the details,(which I didn't do) but it sounded like that was what I was looking for and I told the dealer and gave them the number and that was it. There are some parts to order and when they installed them they found something else that needed a new clip, and yet another visit for me to the dealer. But the rattle is gone.
    Thanks - I will give it another try!
  • You mentioned the Subaru Tech line, how do I contact them? I've talked to SOA but they just referred me back to my dealer saying they don't provide technical info.
    I'm convinced something is wrong w/ my car too regarding the coolant. Yet, despite trips to the dealer and speaking w/ service manager, says that only when it gets below the Add line then I need to be concerned. I had an impreza for 8 years prior and never have I had this issue. What does pulsation in the brake pedal mean?
    Are there signs/sounds that will tell you rotors are warped? Just curious have you experienced a hesitation/stutter like it might stall?
  • SOA Customer Service will not answer technical questions, and will refer you back to your dealer. I asked Customer Service if it was normal for a Subaru to lose 32 oz of coolant in 10K miles ( I added coolant 4 times during the year). Customer Service spoke with someone at "Technical". I was told that it was not normal to use that much coolant and that "it must be going someplace". I would consider it normal to need to add some coolant during a year's worth of driving. If you continue to need to add coolant, ask the dealer to do a pressure check whenever you bring the car in for an oil change. And, since you've talked with SOA, you have a case number with them if there is a problem in the future.

Pulsation in the brake pedal in our Subarus has been a sign of warped rotors.
  • feilofeilo Posts: 128
    Been meaning to ask this question since I did the first (3,750 mi) OC. Mine does not but the manual shows a hatch you have to slide out of the way in what looks like a belly pan/under-engine panel. I asked the dealer but they said nope, the 08's don't have them; earlier MYs did.

So what say you all? If I'm missing a belly pan, I want one when I'm still under warranty! ;)
    My '08 does not have one and neither did my '07.
  • luck11luck11 Posts: 425
    Just got back from Disney World, where we rented a Kia Rondo for our 10 day stay. Now don't get me wrong, the Rondo does not compare to my O5 OB XTL, but I must say, it was very spacious, especially the back seat.

Our son, who is now out of a booster seat, has to keep his feet turned to the side when sitting in the back of our OB, especially now that he's wearing his winter boots all the time. It's a bit of a struggle to get in and out for him. I'm 6'4, so my seat is all the way back. We had no such issues with the Rondo.

Anyway, I'm starting to think of a replacement for my OB, and I must say, given we are a one car family, I think I am going to look for something a bit more spacious for my next vehicle.

Cheers.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    The next generation Legacy/Outback will be larger.

-mike
  • stantontstantont Posts: 148
    I must disagree about Subaru brakes. My son owns 2 Imprezas, a '98 and an '07; my daughter owns two Foresters, an '06 and an '07; I had an '02 Legacy, and now have an '08 OXT. No warped rotors on any of them.

My son's '98 Impreza had brake pulsation when he bought it, which I suspected was pad transfer. I took it out and did 4 hard stops from 80 mph down to 10 mph (as per the brake breakin website - not at home now, so I can't find the url), and it has been smooth ever since.

We DO retorque lug nuts after any wheel/tire service - I've seen what ham-fisted mechanics can do.
  • stantontstantont Posts: 148
    I can't speak for the 2.5i engine, but my '08 OXT has a plastic shield under the engine with a small hole for the oil drain plug and a movable panel for the oil filter. The tiny plastic retainers are pretty easy to lose; next time I'm in the dealer I'll see if I can get them to give me one or two spares. It's not a structural piece; either to keep road dirt off the engine underside and/or to control airflow around the engine and turbo. Or maybe for better aerodynamics?
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    My 05 LGT Wagon has it. My Brother-in-Law's 05 OB 2.5i does not have it.

-mike
    Thanks for the responses. I posted on another OB site and am getting the same answers - (late MY) 2.5i's don't have them but the XTs and LGTs do ... now I can sleep easier :)
    Rondo has good space efficiency, but it's still small.

Try a van with power doors, you'll be hooked. ;)

Or a Tribeca would do just fine.
  • luck11luck11 Posts: 425
    Juice, sorry, but never a van for me. Just won't happen.

Will look at Tribeca and a whole slew of other options. I helped my father pick out a Hyundai Sante Fe a few months ago, and he and my mother love it. Nice vehicle, and best warranty in the business in Canada. Although looks are kind of blah, Veracruz did catch my eye. Anyway, its a ways off, but I am paying a bit more attention to what's out there now.
    QUOTE:

"Thank you for your recent e-mail to Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us. Congratulations on the purchase of your new 2008 Subaru Outback 2.5i Wagon!

While some 2008 Subaru Outback Wagon models come standard with an access cover that needs to be removed when changing the oil, this is not a feature on every model. The access cover is not standard on the Outback 2.5i Wagon models. It is standard only on the Outback Limited, Outback XT, and Outback 3.0R LL Bean Wagon models.

We have contacted the Publications Department regarding this and have asked that they consider making some changes in the owner’s manual to make this information clearer.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Thank you for the opportunity to be of service and we wish you many safe, happy miles on your new Outback Wagon!

Best wishes,
    Gina Holwell
    Subaru of America, Inc.
    Customer/Dealer Services Department"

UNQUOTE.

Nice of them to reply.