Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Actually in MY10 we will get a larger Legacy/Outback about A6 sized with the 3.6L engine from the tribeca putting out about 300hp.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    Thanks, Mike.
  • luck11luck11 Posts: 425
    I have had a clicking noise upon acceleration when cold outside for quite sometime on my 05 OB XTL. Early 07, they changed the left front axle. Seemed to solve the problem for a while, then it started up again...coming from left front again. Dealer could not diagnose the problem with certainty so the fiddled with the car for a day and in the end decided to swap axles to see if that changed anything. Well, turns out the noise has now shifted to other side which suggests that the new (07 installed) axle was the culprit.

Anyway, I need help from some of you guys who know your mechanics. My question is this: With the changing of axles and such, could this throw my alignment out of whack? Should the dealer automatically perform a 4 wheel alignment after replacing the axles, and should I insist they do so if they don't, or is completely unnecessary? I paid for a 4-wheel alignment back in November, and don't want to pay for another one in a few months because of this work.

Thx, and cheers.
    Yup, since they have to disconnect the lower struts which is where the adjustment for the alignment is, you would need a new alignment after an axle replacement.

-mike
  • So on the ride up I75 from Cincy to the D, the Legacy 2.5i wagon returned just shy of 32 mpg at 75-80 mph. I thought that was fantastic. Properly inflated tires, real fluids, and trying to anticipate traffic helps alot, but I thought that was great for an awd vehicle.
    wow that's impressive!

I just put amsoil in the trans and rear diffy of the LGT, so hoping that helps, along with the amsoil in the engine. :)

-mike
  • I've seen in many forums that subaru apparently fixed the head gasket problem in the new generation of 2.5 H4 engines (from 2003?). Does anyone know exactly what they did to fix this? what's the new design or improvement? any website that explains this in detail?

Is there any people reporting head gasket issues in a 2005 or later model?

So far, I haven't notice any problem in my 2005 Legacy, but reading this threads I started to freak out!!
    Thx Mike. I asked if an alignment was needed when I dropped off the vehicle, and the shop foreman said no. I was waiting for him to finish and was going to bring up the strut issue, but he beat me to it. He explained that for the replacement of the axle shaft (maybe I should have been more clear on this point ie. axle vs axle shaft), they did not need to touch any of the alignment adjustment points, including the struts.

Anyway, they replaced the right shaft, and it seems to have solved the problem on that side, but the drivers side is still making the noise. I am going to see again today when I leave from work as the car will be nice and cold whether it still exists, and report back to the dealer. They may need to replace the driver side shaft as well.

Well as much as I love this car, there has been a few too many headaches with it. This Fall, I will be parting company with it and moving to crossover or SUV....just have not decided which one yet. Suppose that's the risk one takes with buying one of the first batch of a 1st year prodn vehicle.

Cheers.
    Hmm, the axle shaft, which I'm assuming is attached to the CV joints is a single unit, ie: you don't replace just the shaft, you replace the whole axle w/ CV joints. It's been a while since I've done this but I'm 99% sure you have to take off the 2 lower bolts on the strut in order for the CV/Axle assembly to be removed.

-mike
    To followup, I spoke to the guy who does the mechanical stuff at our shop. He said it is possible to do it w/o undoing the bolts.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yes, they revised the material used, and that happened well before 2005.

A peek at CR ratings show problem areas under the "Engine" category up until 2002, 2003 for one model.

All 2004 and later ratings for "Engine" earn the best possible Red Dot, i.e. much better than average reliability.

For a 2005 you should be fine.
    Thx, Mike. The foreman is a good guy....has been around Soobs for a long time (used to rally imprezas) so he knows his stuff. But it's always nice to have a 2nd opinion.

Cheers.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    Yeah, I did not need to mess with any of the alignment bolts when I replaced the axles on my '96. I did have to move the wheel assembly around quite a bit, but the alignment remained perfect after the replacement. Or, maybe I should say that it was not noticeably different from pre-replacement, aside from the absence of the horrid grinding noises. :blush:
    Yeah as long as you don't undo those lower bolts you are good. On the impreza you actually need to undo them most of the time to get the clearance to pull out the CV/Axle.

-mike
  • Yesterday it snowed. There was a slight hissing sound under the hood and a burning rubber/plastic smell. What could it be?
    My 05 OB is over 3 years old.
  • Looking at my car from the window... I see the exhaust system hanging a little low.
    Uggghhh... guess I have to bring it in.
  • I have a burning rubber smell on my 2004 outback. When I come off the interstate and stop at a light I have toe smell. I also smell it when I park the car after running on the road and restart it. It's a strong rubber burning type smell. Anyone have an idea as to what it can be?
  • I have a 2004 outback with the 2.5 engine and I had to have the head gaskey replaced. It was leaking oil and dripping on the exhaust. I got a burning oil smell that tokk me going to two shops before the problem was found.
  • Wow! I'm sorry to hear about your head gasket leak. I've got an 06 outback and that sure got my attention. Is Subaru going to cover it? How many miles do you have?
  • I had a little over 60K miles. I have an extended warranty and I got it fix that way. Hopefully mine was a random occurence and not a trend.