Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• rambo5rambo5 Member Posts: 37
    Once again I would like to dump on Subaru for the lack of satellite and a premium radio option. Any hope that this may be an option in the near future? 2006?
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Don,

One more thing you need to check -- are you on the "fresh" air setting?

If you dial down to 65 and turn off A/C, I've found that the climate control switches to recirculate mode. Probably the semi-auto mode trying everything possible given it's limited parameters (A/C off, lowest temperature) to keep the cabin cool.

So to summarize:

- Go to AUTO
    - Set temp to 65
    - Turn OFF
    - Hit (in any order) Fresh, Mode (to Face Vent)

That should have the system allowing unheated air through the face vents.

Also, keep in mind the location of the HVAC air intake being right above the hood. If you've been sitting in the sun or idling for a long time, it's going to be warm for a while until the outside air cools the entire plumbing.

Ken
  • sdufordsduford Member Posts: 577
    Has anybody tried the PIAA Extreme White replacement bulbs? Do they make a worthwhile difference in illumination?
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Sure sounds like the "Automatic" climate control is taking a lot more manual effort than a regular "manual" control system. This thing sounds even worse than the one in the Forester.
    Subaru should stay away from fancy schmancy systems if they don't know how to design them. Simple is beautiful!
  • snowbirdsnowbird Member Posts: 120
    Just picked up my Outback VDC yesterday. Very happy so far, even after only one day. Atlantice Blue/Tan interior. Thank you all for your insights. Keep up the good work. No car is perfect, but this one is close! I will not repeat cons previously posted, such as low center armrest and one way button for auto open/close windows. All in all, a very well built car. Snowbird
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    COngratulations! When you get a chance, post a pic -- I have not seen that color combo in a VDC yet. Also, maybe you could answer a question for me -- where is teh subwoofer located?? It's supposed to be somewhere in the cargo area.

Craig
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Congrats indeed! If you get the optional dealer-installed center armrest extension, that will most likely eliminate that complaint. With that feature, you can raise and move forward the center armrest when needed. You can also retract it too. This feature should be STANDARD—especially in this class of vehicle, and not optional.

Bob
  • needanewcar2needanewcar2 Member Posts: 23
    Good luck with it!

We too are Canadian (Montreal), and although we no longer do the I95 trip, we want something good in the snow.
    Why did you go with the VDC and not the XT?
    Why the Outback and not the Forester?

Let us know, we want a car before the snow flies (falls??)

Ro
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    The happy new owner above reminded me of this. Has anyone actually seen one on a lot? Are they -all- special orders, or do dealers in more northerly climates keep them in stock. I visited a number of dealers without seeing a single one.
    Ro - Why VDC and not the XT? Because I prefer the consisitent smooth acceleration and antiskid system of the VDC. Why VDC over Forester? The Forester is a great small SUV, but they are very different cars. The VDC, IMHO, is a near luxury car with excellent safety features.

Bob - Thanks. I have asked but the armrest extension option is not readily available yet. Will surely get one later.

Craig - Will try to post a pic soon. Also will look for the subwoofer location (cannot see any blue cable yet!)

Jason
    Mine was a special order in July. Apparently, there is a shortage of VDC's. I live in Toronto, Canada, and mine was the only VDC that came in our area in recent weeks. The story was, if you can believe it, that the 2004 VDC was such a poor sell that the SOA had only planned a small 2005 production. Jason
  • mylegacymylegacy Member Posts: 38
    Ford Five Hundred, limited edittion around $26-27K.
    Maybe Subura will lower their price or cram more option in the future.
  • newsubielegacynewsubielegacy Member Posts: 4
    Anyone know how to re-enable the chimes. I prefer them off, but for resale, I would like to turn them back on.
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    I suspect that VDC was jointly developed with Nissan before the GM affilliation and may be a licensed product. Note the same VDC name used on Nissan models.

If there is a costly license, the VDC high priced though it is may have a low profit margin for Subaru. Hence....make them hard to get. The VDC would be my first choice also, but my local dealer was not interested in selling one!

There may be another important reason to limit the VDCs sold as Outbacks. The Aussie market has LEGACY 3.0 VDC models that were just introduced. Perhaps there will be such a model here sometime soon. I would be delighted to be able to buy a Legacy GT 3.0 VDC wagon!
  • finkedfinked Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know how to re-enable the chimes. I prefer them off, but for resale, I would like to turn them back on.

fastsuby Sep 30, 2004 9:09am
    This was my first weekend with my 05 Outback XT Ltd 5MT and I had a chance to drive it on some really twisty and at times rough mountain roads. This is an amazingly capable car. I'm really impressed with the ride, the solid handling, the quick steering, the power and the drivability of the engine.

This turbo has a much broader torque band than I recalled from my test drives. It pulls strongly from as low as 1800 RPM, even in 5th gear! Great drivability. In fact, I think this car should have a 6th and longer gear. It turns at about 3200 RPM on the highway, but it could easily be set 500 RPM lower.

The 5th gear is great, no problems with steep hills and you can stay in 5th for most passing maneouveurs. If you drop it in 4th, you can rocket pass any other car. If the other guy is going slower and you drop it all the way to 3rd, you will leave his head spinning and wondering what the heck it was that just blew his doors off (was that a wagon with a raised suspension?!?)

Through the rougher sections the ride quality was amazing, although the suspension does jump around a bit in some situations.

I just love this car and I raise my hat to Subaru. The XT provides an unbelievable combination of utility, performance, handling, ride quality, off-road capability, and driving enjoyment! The only other car I can think of that provides similar capabilities and performance is the Porsche Cayenne. But then again, you have to go to the Cayenne Turbo to beat the XT's performance, and for that price, you can buy 2 XTs and a VDC!
    Now that I just raved about my Outback XT Ltd, it's time for some nit picking. Nothing is perfect!

Here's what I think Subaru needs to do to the Legacy & Outback if they want to be taken seriously as a competitor to the likes of Audi, BMW, and Volvo.

Add a telescoping function to the steering wheel
    Add audio controls to the steering wheel
    Add an auto-up mode to the driver's window
    Make traction and stability control available as an option on ALL models
    Make Bi-Xenon headlights available
    Make the front seats more comfortable and an inch or two wider (copy Volvo's seats!)
    Add position memories to the driver's seat.
    Add a true premium audio option with support for MP3s, and DVDs, and an input for external devices (like iPods).
    Add a Nav option (although I personally don't care for it).
    Allow the window controls to keep working for 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off.
    Allow one to close all windows and the sunroof from the outside of the car
    Give the GT/XT models a sportier exhaust note.

and finally...

Fix that automatic climate control! It insists on using the A/C even when the outside temperature is much lower than the inside temp. It also seems to have a mind of it's own even when not in Auto mode, and then there is the well known "hot air" problem. In Volvo's I was able to set the ACC once and simply forget about it; not so in the Subie...

Once again, these are all pretty small things, but they are all expected by people who shop for premium performance cars.
  • needanewcar2needanewcar2 Member Posts: 23
    We too loved our VolvoS80 BUT we did have problems witth our electric door locks. Did you consider a V50 instead of the OB?
    Fix that automatic climate control! It insists on using the A/C even when the outside temperature is much lower than the inside temp. It also seems to have a mind of it's own even when not in Auto mode, and then there is the well known "hot air" problem. In Volvo's I was able to set the ACC once and simply forget about it; not so in the Subie...

The A/C indicator may be on, but this does not mean A/C is running full time. Turns out it cycles as needed for cooling and/or dehumidification. As I recall, below a certain temp (42F?) it will not come on at all.

Some people are having legit problems with the climate control, but the majority of complaints I read here and on another forum are due to people learning the ins and outs of the system. Coming from an 02 Outback with auto CC, I find the 05 auto CC works the same as before and it has not given me any problems.

Craig
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    I actually find Automatic climate control in general to be more of a nuisance then a benefit. Unfortunately, I don't have much of a choice and have had to live with it on my last few cars. There's something to be said about the simplicity of a few dials and a/c on/off buttons.

I find the seats very comfortable, but I don't think any car company can make a seat comfortable for everyone.

I don't think the car needs HIDs, other than for the 'bling' factor. In fact in this months CR the TSX which had HIDs got the worst rating for its headlights. So HIDs aren't necessarily better.

Otherwise I agree with your assessment, I posted a similar list a few months ago after I got my LGT. I was looking into trying to get the Macintosh stereo which is available in other markets, but it is likely to be much more expensive than it's worth. A JDM nav unit may be possible to get also, but again, expensive.

My next project is to get a new set of tires, and maybe wheels and/or springs for my LGT. It's not fun to slide around (unless it's on purpose), and it's quite easy to break the grip of these stock tires.

tom
  • saywhatsaywhat Member Posts: 63
    Sduford; The hot air problem is being experienced by most if not all leg. GT Ltd. owners. I am waiting on SOA to see what they intend to do about it. On my Ltd. 1700 mi. I just noticed today that when the sunroof is open, and you step on it to pass someone, I get a very odd sweet sort of smell coming in from the sunroof. It's bad enough that if it continues I would not be able to drive the car. When the sunroof is closed, I'm not able to smell it, or maybe very very slight smell. Is anyone else having this problem?
  • luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    Funny, don't seem to be having any probs with the hot-air out of the vents on my OB XT LTD. I have my AC off, and my temp turn down to the min, and the air out of the vents seems to be the same temp as air outside.

But do agree the climate control takes some getting used to. Don't like the fact that when you turn it on, it automatically goes into AC mode.
    Ford 500 is not even in the same league as the Outback/Legacy. The latest Car & Driver has a writeup on the car, and it sounds pretty disappointing. Cheezy interior and underpowered. In addition, the AWD is a part-time FWD-based Haldex system inherited from the Volvo platform. This is a far cry from Subaru's full time symmetrical AWD.

I don't think Subaru should try to compete with cars like the 500, they (Subaru) are a cut above.

Craig
    I did look at the V50 T5 AWD, but it is too low to the ground for me, and you shouls\d stay away from first model year at Volvo. They are in fact having sgnificant problems, with many people having to get the engine replaced.

The last 3 cars on my short list were the OutBack XT, Outback VDC, and the Volvo XC70.

While the Volvo is quite a bit more comfortable (wonderful seats), the Outback is superior in every other way. Performance, handling, steering, stability, reliability, and AWD are all vastly superior on the Outback.
    Thabks for the info Craig, I didn't not realize it was cycling it on and off.

I'll keep it on auto for a while and see what happens.
    Tom, you and most people around this forum seem to think the headlights are great.

But for some reason, I find them only slightly better than average. The beam dispertion and control is excellent, but the high-beams don't reach as far as I would like.
    There's practically nothing on your list that I woudn't mind seeing -available- on an OB, the operative word being available as opposed to standard. It's fairly amazing to me that one can get a vehicle like the OB XT Ltd for slightly under 30K with a little shopping around. I would not like to see the vehicle so heavily "contented" with the inclusion of some or all of those items as standard equipment if the consequence is that the vehicle hits a 35K or above MSRP. Subaru tends to be fairly inflexible with the way they handle optional equipment as well. I guess I'm not so sure I'm interested in the OB becoming a competitor to Audi, Volvo and BMW if that means a pricing structure that approximates those vehicles, without a range of choices that would still allow one to get a car like the XT Ltd. for under 30K (American).
  • michael2michael2 Member Posts: 31
    it may get 55 mpg, and my '05gt only gets 25, but after what i saw this morning, i'll take the lower mpg and stick with my gt. saw a new pirus doing 80-90, on the parkway, was weaving in and out of lanes, and not very steadily, on the third such maneuveur the driver lost control and went off the road.my '05gt is solid ,steadfast and sticks to the road like glue, as i said i'll take the lower mileage, and forego playing tag with a tree. imagine how a prius handles on wet roads or snow, this was dry pavement.

also, with respect to replacing the stock tires, on my 2000gt, i replaced the re92's with continental conti extremes, great tires, any other brands that would fit the 05's 17inch wheels, that provide good all year round traction.
    I bet a lousy/reckless driver could go offroading in the GT too, maybe easier because of all the power! But I understand your point.

For my Outback XT, I am looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (ultra high performance all season) or the Bridgestone Turanza (grand touring all season). These seem to be the only good options in the 225/55-17 size on the XT. With the GT's tire size (215/45-17) you have more options, including the Bridgestone RE-950 and the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S. The Pirellis are top rated on the TireRack in their category (Pilot A/S is #2). The Continental ContiExtremeContact rates pretty well too (#3).

Craig
    The Haldex all wheel drive in the Ford 500 is little different from the clutch pack in an automatic trans 2.5 litre Legacy or Outback except for being located at the rear axle instead of just aft of the engine. In either case about 90% front wheel drive is normal operation until slip.

Other Subaru AWD systems are completely different, with torque splits of 50%/50% for the viscous center diff in 2.5 l standard trans and 45%/55% for center differential VTD in newer auto trans models.

The Ford 500's AWD availability may affect sales of four cylinder Outbacks and Legacys: The American public usually believes bigger is better. Also the published accelleration figures suggest the auto trans 500 is quicker than the 2.5i.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    In either case about 90% front wheel drive is normal operation until slip.

Dave, I thought the Haldex AWD was 100% FWD until slippage occurs. Am I wrong?

Bob
    I don't see the Ford as a threat to Subaru. Making an AWD system is one thing, making it reliable is another. I'm not real optimistic about Ford accomplishing this on its first try (or second, for that matter). If anything, the fact that more AWD cars are coming to market show that it's something people want.
    If it's the same Haldex system in the XC90 (which it's supposed to be) it's 95%/5% electronically controlled up to 65% to the rears. So basically it's a FWD that can get you out of trouble on slippery surfaces, but I don't know about any performance improvement with a system like this.

Now Chrysler is coming out (Is it out now?) with an AWD 300. Hook that up with their Hemi and you have a formidable sedan, albeit large. If it weren't so 'loud' I might consider it. I'm not sure if their AWD is 4matic MB based or not.

tom
    Tom, you and most people around this forum seem to think the headlights are great.

But for some reason, I find them only slightly better than average. The beam dispertion and control is excellent, but the high-beams don't reach as far as I would like.

Actually, a lot of people in other forums think they are good too. ;-) Maybe you should get some bright driving lights. You could replace the stock fog lights (which are kinda useless anyway). Or mount a set on your roof! ;-)

You could always just replace the headlight bulbs with something brighter, just be careful you don't melt your headlamp units!

tom
    Bob
    I am under the impression that the Haldex has a very minimal amount of rear wheel torque to minimize the transition time to substantial rear intervention. This has been discussed at some length on a VW discussion group site.

That same Haldex will be in the next Passat 4Motion as it is now in in the Audi TT, etc. The Ford's cvt's German origin suggests that the controlling electronics could be an achillies heel. Actually, combining Swedish (Haldex) and German (transmission) bad electrics is scary!
  • timo1745timo1745 Member Posts: 58
    Hey Sylvain- I actually bought a deflector for my '05 OBXTL and it's smoke-colored, and very flat against the nose of the car. I'm wondering if your dealer might have his info reversed?

Just a thought.

Rgds,
    Tim
  • rwoodsrwoods Member Posts: 129
    Advice to all Subaru salespeople. If it is going to take a long time to get a car, please tell the customer upfront. My sales people at Gregoris Subaru of Valley Stream, NY promised an Outback XT LTD Wagon in 4-5 weeks. When that time had passed I called only to be told to call Subaru's 800 number and then was resoundingly hung up on. In fact, my experience is that this dealer after getting a $1,000 deposit wanted me to never bother them again. They handed me a slip of paper with the 800 number and said they knew nothing else about the transaction. When I asked about getting my deposit back the sales manager said: "If you think you will get out of this deal, you are dreaming"....then the phone went dead.

Thanks folks for listening...I feel better.
    Disgraceful. I know it would probably be a huge hassle, but I would move heaven and earth to get out of the deal if for no other reason than the dealer. Remember them when you fill out your post-purchase survey.
    Time to get your deposit back and find a good dealer. Sounds like these guys stink. Don't believe that baloney about not getting the deposit back, they don't have a leg to stand on.

There are plenty of XT-Ltds floating around, so it should not be a problem finding one if you are somewhat flexible on color.

Craig
  • timo1745timo1745 Member Posts: 58
    Hey Bob-

I believe Dave is correct. The Haldex is 'dialed' to 90/10 split until slippage occurs for a couple reasons; first, to counter act some of the typical FWD behaviors, like torque steer and the feeling that your rear end is being dragged around. Second, for faster reaction of the shift in front-to-rear torque, without the "clunk" of the rear drivetrain suddenly engaging. I hate this about my 2001 Expedition when it's in "Auto 4WD" mode.

Just my $.02. Hope that helps!

Rgds,
    Tim
    '05 OBXTL-5MT
  • bluerex03bluerex03 Member Posts: 6
    The sweet smell is your coolant burning on the hot exhaust. I had exact same problem with my 03' WRX. The clamp around the hose going to the turbo is no properly inserted. Take it to the dealer, the area is realy hard to get to, it took the mechanic over 3 hours to fix it (twice).
    Call the BBB, your credit card company (unless you left a check, which you could just cancel) and then call the police and tell them they just stole $1000 from you! (I'm not entirely joking. . .) Some car dealers are still just terrible human beings, and I would never tolerate such behavior, nor should you. There's no sense in giving a place like that your business, and if enough people stop, they will no longer be in business (a good thing too!) Surely there must be a place in NY where you can buy a Subaru without being so rudely treated! Besides, are you going to take your car for service there too? You need to find an honest and polite dealer to deal with, especially if you have any further problems.

Good luck
    tom
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Ford/Volvo's Haldex is primarly FWD. When they say 5% of power goes to the rear axle by default, that's basically the drivetrain loss, i.e. it's taking up that much power just in terms of drag, not really using the rear axle to accelerate.

It it quick-reacting, but still, Subaru has the advantage when it comes to AWD, no surprise there.

Ford 500/Freestyle will offer value and size for those that can accept less reliability and (my guess is) a much more basic interior. I don't think it'll have any pretensions of being "upscale", not by a long shot. I'm sure Volvo will make sure they cheapen them to keep it from cannibalizing Volvo sales.

I haven't sat in one yet, though.

Having said that, I wish Subaru would build something to compete directly with the Freestyle, because I'm sure it would address the full-time AWD issue plus the reliability. I can do without the upscale interior.

Note: when they publish Legacy sales, that includes the Outback. So it was actually 7,724 - 5,254 = 2,470.

So 2470 Legacys (non-Outback) and 5254 Outbacks. 7724 total Legacy/Outback.

-juice
    Haldex seems to be making it's way into quite a few vehicles these days. I think it offers an easy way to "tack on" AWD to a FWD vehicle. While people in the know (like Subaru owners) know the difference between a bolt-on AWD system vs. a designed from the start system, the general public probably can't tell the difference yet.

The Ford 500 a "threat"? Nah. It's a logical update to the Taurus, though. I'm sure it'll make it big time with rentals again.

rwoods: That's kind of story raises my blood pressure too. That dealer has absolutely no right to hold on your deposit if they have not ordered a car for you. Subaru does, in fact, require deposits now from customers to be able to custom order a vehicle from the factory. Orders are taken usually at the end of each month and then it's about a 6-8 week process until the car arrives at the dealer's lot.

After 4-5 weeks, the dealer should at least have confirmation from Subaru of receiving the order and, in many cases, a VIN to identify your specific vehicle.

March right in there and demand your money back. Also, report the dealer to Subaru of America and even the local BBB.

Let us know how it goes!

Ken
    Here are some pics. Still very much enjoying the car, though haven't found the subwoofer yet. The sound is pretty good though. Snowbird

• dscottidscotti Member Posts: 5
    Ken,
    Thanks for the feedback. Did everything you suggested and the outside air is still heated! The air heating effect takes a few minutes to occur - it actually starts cooler and gets warmer as you drive and the engine gets hotter. I took the car back to the dealer service today and they checked my climate control, compared it to another 2005 XT, and confirmed that indeed it does warm the outside air in vent mode because the air intake on the '05s is in front of the engine and the air is heated as it passes over the engine. They also said that many others are now complaining and that Subaru is aware of the issue. This might affect a design change for '06 but doesn't help the '05 owners.
    I'm sure the '05s are very fine cars in most reguards and I like the new looks - I switched from a '97 Mercedes E320 to get the improved reliability and traction of the Subaru - but I must say I am incredulous that Subaru would try to pass this off as acceptable. Now I have to run the A/C when I don't really want or need to.
    Do you have any other suggestions? I'm not sure there's much else I can do except report it to Subaru in the hopes that it will help future Subaru owners.
    Thanks so much for all your help. I enjoy reading your other postings as well.
    Don
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    The first pic didn't link up right, try this url instead: http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid141/pd9e84e99e50646e6012- 7fdb5e38b8219/f6c3ce7b.jpg

-Brian
    Don,

That's really strange. I go through the exact same steps on my Legacy GT and the outside air always remains cool. I can't imagine the HVAC plumbing is different between the two models either.

Craig here also has a XT and I don't think he has an issue either. Are you using a hood deflector by any chance?

Well, I can only think of two things to work around the issue. The easiest is to just use the Auto climate control all the time. The AC compressor was probably selected with continuous operation in mind and I've read that it's better for the compressors seals to allow it to run year round. Furthermore, it's probably That's probably the downside to Auto climate control -- it works best when left to do it's thing.

The other, more difficult, option would be to try and insulate the intake duct somehow. I believe the HVAC system takes in air right by the front wipers and gets routed to an area just behind the glove compartment. You might need access to a teardown manual to really understand how it's all hooked up.

I'll list any more ideas that come to mind, but it still baffles me why it seems to be an issue on only some vehicles.

Ken
    Thanks, Brian. I think it works this time. Snowbird
  • aussie outbackaussie outback Member Posts: 26
    Following up from my previous post and saying that when my 05 Outback was in for service I would test drive this Aussie/UK model.

First impressions: The noise it makes is quite different to the Outback. Partly because of the manual transmission (looked like it has what you guys call a "short shifter"). And the exhaust is calibrated differently. So whereas the AT Outback is refined and quiet, this thing makes a bit of the old boxer WRX noise. Good vibes already! (Has anyone tested an 05 Outback and MT GT back to back? I presume the 3.0R-B is the same as the GT in this regard).

Second, the interior is pretty much like a Legacy GT, so no comments there, apart from the Macintosh stereo sounds really good.

Third - the engine is straight out of the Outback, so acceleration felt the same. The GT has more torque lower down, the 3.0 feels more refined.

Fourth - the suspension is better controlled with the new Bilstein shocks, but the dealer told me it is not as harsh as the GT. It certainly felt pretty good for a sports sedan.

Fifth - the 6MT is just right. Having driven MT all my life, that was the one regret of buying the Outback - it only came with an AT, albeit the sportshift. But it just isn't the same thing...

Sixth - The WRX STi has recently received an adjustable front/back tourque split in this country. So you can dial up to 66% to the back wheels (I think it is). Now, putting that on the Legacy would make life fun, as the Subies are a bit too neutral for their own good, IMHO.

So that is it - what a great car. The dealer (who was receiving a new WRX next week) said he preferred it to the Legacy GT.

Finally 2 comments on other matters:

1) It has been fun reading comments from all you people trying to turn your seatbelt chime off. I thought the instructions were originally a hoax! I had visions of crazed Subie drivers all over the world maniacly tugging at their seat belts. I think we in Australia are responsible for this little irritant as manufacturers get higher safety scores here if their cars have these chimes.

2) The 3000 mile service on the 05 Outback went ok. There is a "tizz" noise on low bass from my left front speaker which the cloth-eared service manager couldn't hear, despite me clearly demonstrating it. "Sounds like normal bass" said he. Probably on the cheap crappy stereos he listens to, it does. I'll get someone else to listen next time. Not sure if it is a dud speaker or a rattle in the trim

- Aussie Outback
    Craig, I did experiment with leaving the ACC on all the time today and you are right, the A/C does cycle on-and-off, despite the A/C sign staying on all the time. The question then is why? They should turn the A/C sign off when it turns off. This is confusing...

I did notice that the ACC seems to overshoot it's set temp by a wide margin when you first get into the car. This morning was very cool and the temperature got uncomfortably hot inside before it finally turn itself down to the requested temp. I had noticed the same thing happening coming form higher temps too, it seemd to blast way too much cold air in the car before it slowed down.