Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jchkjchk Posts: 5
    Hi Guys,

Could someone post the letter mentioned in the following link please if available?

mbnotforme "2003 E Class Comand/Nav Debacle" Jul 22, 2003 6:26pm

Thanks in advance
  • We wish we had read this message board before buying our car. We purchased our 2004 E320 less than a month ago and it's already been in for repairs once and has to go again tomorrow.

Within a week after purchase, the ambient light next to the panoramic sunroof went out. We took the car in and it sat for a week at the dealer while waiting for a special light bulb to come in. Then we started hearing a sudden static noise that grew progressively louder coming from the speakers. It happens occasionally right after the car starts and can't be turned off. The radio will suddenly reboot and all is fine again. It's been difficult to identify the source of the problem since it happens randomly. Yesterday, I got in the car and before putting the key in, the display warned of a brake failure. When the key was put in, car wouldn't start and the display/clock went bonkers. We had to call roadside assistance and they replaced the battery. The car works now but the navigation system doesn't work. So the car is going back again to check what is going on. We're afraid the problem is much worse than a bad battery and we'll be stranded somewhere if the car doesn't start again.

Anyone else have similar experiences or have any ideas about what's wrong with the car? The dealer and service reps have been really nice to us but we don't want to be making monthly trips to see them.
  • I drove MB for 23 years...my last two were total total trouble...had a 91 300SL owned it from new for 5 years..only had 20,000 total miles..was in shop on average of 30 days per year...traded for new 96 MB E320..had trouble from day one...cold start problems...drive shaft vibrated..was replaced..still never smooth..sold at 14,000 miles and bought new Lexus.now on my 3rd Lexus..almost an absolutely perfect car..would not buy anything else......Irv
  • I just purchased a 2004 E320 4matic sedan. I included the lighting package with the Bi-Xenon headlamps. The low beams only seem to illuminate about 50 feet of the road and than there is an abupt darkness. The high beams are wonderful. Has anyone experienced this problem with there low beam lighting. It is very distracting and unsafe
  • I too have the 04 E320 with the bi-Xenon lights. I believe that's just the way Xenon lights work. I have them on my 2 BMW's as well and they are very bright and full to a certain point and then just cut out. You can have your lights adjusted so the point a little higher, will give you more distance, but it makes it unsafe for other drivers since the lights are so bright and blinding.
  • khicekhice Posts: 13
    The phenomenon you observe is intentional by design. There is a popular misconception that xenon's illuminate farther ahead of the vehicle. Actually, they illuminate a wider area. As the light is whiter, the driver can see more clearly. Both features increase the safety of driving at night. Were the xenon's aimed higher, they would blind oncoming drivers. You may also notice that the right headlamp is aimed slightly higher than the left. This is so as the right headlamp does not shine as directly into the eyes of the oncoming driver and can therefore be aimed a little farther out.
  • My 2003 E320 sport had the same issues: static radio; dead battery, clock went wild, etc. At first, the deal replaced the battery but that didn't do the trick. The real culprit was the alternator. According to the dealer, the alternator was over-charging the battery. At least that's what the computer thought so it basically stopped charging I guess. Anyway, after the alternator was replaced, the car is trouble-free. Good luck.
  • allygallyg Posts: 18
    I had the same problem with my 2003 E320. I could only see about 15 feet in front of me at night the first night I drove the car out. It totally scared me. The dealer had since readjusted the lights and they are fine now.
  • allygallyg Posts: 18
    There is an annoying noise coming out every 30 -40 seconds under my 2003 E320. I can't seem to pinpoint the location but it seems to be coming from right above the rear wheels. It is driving me crazy. Anyone has similar experience? I try not to send it to the dealer yet until I find out more about the noise because the dealer usually ignors complaints about noise.
  • I'm may purchase a 1997 E320. Mileage 51,000, price $18,000. Never owned a MB, I'm hoping this is a reliable car. Looking for anyone to give info on likes/dislikes/problems, etc. Thanks so much for your input.
  • terrii,

For what it's worth, I've got a 96 E320, basically the exact same car as the 97 you'r looking at. Mine has 134,000 on it now and until the 115,000 mile mark was nearly trouble free. Only significant repair was replacing all the bushings and sway bar links in the front end around 70-75,000 miles. I think the dealer was trying to get about $1000 for that work but it was covered under Starmark. Oh, I had to replace the front brake rotors and pads (twice) prior to 115K miles also. At 51K miles AND a Starmark warranty you should be fine for the remainder of the time on the warranty. Without that warranty it's a crap shoot and it may cost $$$ for repairs.

Price sounds pretty good... Good luck..
  • So I just got my 04 e320 back from the dealer today after they replaced the transmission. I also used this time to tell him of all the other electric/computer related problems i've been having and he informed me that there is a recall scheduled around April to update the software. Has anyone else heard this?
  • While it seems apparent that MB definitely has a problem with its electrical problem, I have not heard anyone that had the same problem I have had. On a recent trip I turned the air conditioning on, and all of a sudden the climate control panel stopped working. The red light lit up under the A/C OFF button and from that point on the air conditioning wouldnt work. I brought it to a dealership on the trip after hours of 80 degree weather, where they then had to order a new head unit for the climate control. They did not have one in stock because they never heard of this happening before. While this was upsetting enough, the car has been in to be repaired in excess of 10 times. Not only was the entire rear differential replaced after 1000 miles, but the passenger rear shock absorber was replaced twice. Aside from the mechanical deficiencie, the tweeter on the driver side door, while still attached has fallen loose on 3 different occasions. Also the center arm rest storage area which is connected by a plastic piece completely broke off. And finally to cap things off, the gas cap broke and needed to be replaced. All in all the E-Class is a very nice looking car, which as an E-320 is underpowered. I am not trying to vent, but trying to inform others of the many problems that I have had with this 55k piece of junk.
  • Don't know if anyone has heard of this before, but I figured I would ask here before taking our 2001 E320 in for service.

The car was recently serviced (45,000 miles) and everything was fine. About a two weeks after the service was done, I started hearing a "beep" while driving the car. It sounds like an old cell phone message indicator, just a single beep that lasts only a few seconds. It does not happen with any regularity...I might hear it twice in an hour, or twice in 10 minutes. Other people have heard it as well, and it never lasts long enough to pinpoint exactly what area of the car it is coming from! No I am not insane, I promise! It's definitely coming from inside the car though, and there are no indications of any malfunctions or problems happening.

I am prepared to take it back in for service; however, we all know that I could hear the beep 50 times driving to the dealer, and then it won't make a sound once I get there! ha!

Has anyone else ever had such a problem with their Mercedes?? Or does anyone have a suggestion what would "beep" inside the car? I have wondered if it could be the battery (under the back seat) perhaps. Again, nothing else lights up or shows indication of a problem when the beep occurs.

Any help would be appreciated!
  • I appreciate your input!
    I'm purchasing the car through a private party, so I don't think I can get a Starmark warranty.
    Thanks so much for your help.
  • sleakesleake Posts: 47
    Exactly the same thing happened to me once. Turned out the mechanic had left his cell phone on the floor behind the driver's seat. Take a good look around the car, under seats, etc. You might be surprised by what you find. ;-)
  • paul_ppaul_p Posts: 271
    I would try to notice what time of the day this sound occurs. Could it be the chime from an electronic watch or PDA?

- P.
  • rashidirashidi Posts: 18
    When I first purchased my E500 I was able to configure the steering wheel buttons to select my radio presets. eg; FM1, FM2 etc... After being in service, that option no longer exsists. Now when I use the steering wheel radio button...it goes from 101.1fm 101.3fm 101.5fm etc.... The service tech says it was a "software bug" from factory and is NOW correct. This is so annoying

:(

Anyone have the same experience ?
  • max63max63 Posts: 72
    I just leased my 04 e300 and just noticed the same thing about using the controls on the stweering wheel. That is just so poor for a 50k car. Called the dealer and he told me he would let me know when the software fix is coming out?? Keep me posted.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Drove an E320 for an hour today. Love the looks. Hate the pressure required to push the accelerator. Must be drive by wire, huh? Also, hated the extremely noisy Air conditioner fan. Couldn't hear the radio, which wasn't that stellar anyway.

Otherwise, seems like a great car. I think I need the S though.