Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kathimkathim Posts: 3
    I am not having that problem but have heard of this problem from a flat bed tow truck driver who has transported my car 2x. I just got my new 2006 E350 3 weeks ago and I have what seem like an air leak at the drivers window or the window behind the drivers. It has bene to dealer 2 x and they cant get it right.

What dealer did u buy yours at????? ALso what color????? Mine is white and it seems the white colors have more flaws I think (weird I know)
    I am at my wits end and very upset over spending this kind of $$ and now problems.
    I am in California also so our lemon laws are prettyy good I think but i dont think u will have to go that far........the dealer should bend over backwards for u !!!!!!!

kathi
  • Hey Andrew,

I am having that same problem it went down to far then would not come back up.
    now the molding is holding it from coming up. the motor is working, I need to get the panel off and I can't get it off. I need help!

thanks mark
  • shrikeshrike Posts: 3
    Transmission slippage problems on this forum noted. We have a Feb05 make E350. Also had two incidents when the transmission went into neutral(No Drive). At 2500 km and again at 4800 km from new. Mercedes eventually replaced transmission valve body with new part no. item. However they claim they do not know the reason for the problem and they further claim that they know of no previous problem of this nature. Therefore we do not know what caused the "no drive" condition and thus it may occur again. Has anyone had same problem with the vehicle assuming neutral gear while driving and more importantly did they have the problem before 1 June 2005 and which dealership is aware of the problem? This is a serious safety issue!
  • kathimkathim Posts: 3
    My husband has a 2004 C320 and this just happened to him 2 weeks ago while driving it slipped into neutral. It has not happened since but we are keep a close eye on it.
  • I was wondering if someone can give me some advise, I have a MB E430 4matic special edition and ever since i brought it in 2002, it has been giving me problems, it just slipped by the lemon law. But i am in the dealer almost every 4-5 months.

I was wondering if someone can guide me in how to deal with car, i have a record of the problems with me, i was thinking of writing a letter to the MB head office, but what will that do? I was thinking of asking to inc the warranty on the car, it is a hardly 30,000 miles on that car, and it still looks new.

Please help
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Posts: 114
    well, without some context as to what sort of problems you're having its hard to recommend how extreme an action you should take.

All of my issues with my 2001 E3240 4matic have been relatively minor but maddening. The only crippling one was a blown coolant hose happened to the service department as it sat on their own lot waiting for parts. So that didn't really happen to me.

Anyhow, the most severe issue I had was a leak from the transmission that took them 3 tries to fix (never dawning on them to put dye in the fluid). I went ballistic on the management of the dealership and they gave me a complimentary starmark extended warrany for an extra year and 100K miles.

Fast forward to earlier this year. Car is out of original warranty and in the starmark phase. The very first problem I have is NOT covered by starmark (important to realize it is not bumper to bumper as the original warranty is).

So the moral of the story is you may "go off" on them and get a complimentary extended warrenty and still have issues that result in your not getting satisfaction. Clearly the extended warranty will not stop your car from having to go to the shop every 4 - 5 months.

To summarize, you have, in my opinion, two options.

1) live with it.
    2) dump the car and move on.

On more than one occasion I've gone directly from picking my car up from service to test driving other cars (Lexus, Acura, etc). Ultimately it is always cheaper for me to just live with it then drop another 50K+ on a replacement. I will say, though, that if one of these cars I test drove had really "done it" for me, I'd have already jumped on option 2). I'm eager to see the LS460 AWD next spring.

Regards,
    BigRob.
  • I am looking for help with my 1997 E300 Diesel. The check engine light keeps coming on and says to check engine electronics. When I have the code read it says it is a problem with the Exhaust Gas Recirculation system. I had my mechanic take the EGR valve off to see if it was plugged and if so attempt to clean it. It was very clean. After reinstalling it and clearing the code we watched as the engine idled. The linkage was moving and adjusting at idle and the check engine light came back on. I thought an EGR problem occured under load conditions not at idle. The local dealer wants to replace the EGR to see if that fixes it at the tune of $650.00. I can buy one on line for less than half that cost however I am concerned it my be a control problem and not a problem with the valve itself. Does any one have any suggestions? I appreciate your help!

Thanks
    Russ
  • tom75tom75 Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 05 E500. I always feel a slight jerk in the transmission when coming to a stop. I brought it to the dealership and they said there was a problem with a "C-Clip" in the transmission and that they will repair it. I just picked up the car yesterday and the same problem still persist. Has anyone with a similar problem been able to get there car fixed?

Tom
    Thanks kathim for your reply. Plse note that my E350 has the 7G transmission. On both occasions when the transmission "neutralized" I had the Service centre check the vehicle since it is under 3 yer warranty. Both times the computer readout gave the same two fault codes - 2502 & 2505. The readout for 2502 is "The gear is implausible or the transmission is slipping". Your vehicle would be under warranty so you should have the car checked as the computer will hold the fault. Please tell me which gear box you have as this is important. Mercedes will not tell me or do not know the cause of the probem but have changed the valve body. This change from the original part number of MBA2202701406 to part number MBA 220270140628 is apparently a fix for the heavy noisy gear change in lower gears. Mine did not have this problem. Any more info would help me since I wish to know if they officially know of my problem with other vehicles with the 7 G transmission. Not being told what caused the problem is cause for concern. They did find the car was about 1 litre short on transmission oil out of the factory but will not say definitely whether they believe this to be the cause of the problem. I am in regional Australia.
    Do you have the 7G transmission? If so a change of Valve Body may solve your problem.
  • garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    Are any of you aware of the "quiet" recall of many 1998-2000 cars with the M112/M113 engine due to defective harmonic balancers? It can cause the serpentine (Poly-V) belt to break, and can lead to other damage in the engine compartment. This just happened to my '98 E320.

I am told that MB will replace the part and perhaps pay for other damage done. I just had the balancer and belt replaced by an indie shop, and now may have to go to a MB dealer to try and get reimbursed, which makes me very uncomfortable.

I have read on other boards that letters are going out in waves to other MB owners, but I hadn't received one. Have any of you? Has anyone tried to get reimbursement for work done by a non-dealer, and if so, did you go to the dealer or MB directly?
  • I just took my car 1999 E-320 to service yesterday and unknown to me until I reviewed the service invoice there is a Harmonic Balancer Campaign recall. The invoice says "vibration damper check".

Last January I had the crankcase pully replaced. It was actually separating into two parts. There is also another recall an Door Preservative Campaign where they removed the sealing rubber and put some wax under it.

I have had a lot of problems with this car and will never get another MB, ever.
  • lulu6lulu6 Posts: 2
    I have 3000 miles on my 2006 E350, and I just got a warning... It is asking me to fill a qt of engine oil. Is that a common thing? I would think a brand new car should not need engine oil already...
  • Funny, I also bought a 2006 E350 three weeks ago. And it is in the shop now to get the Sat radio installed. They just called and also told me one could not be installed on my auto because of the date of build. I find this incredible. I called the Merc hotline and talked with a customer service agent. He told me "of course you can get a sat radio installed". I told that to my service advisor and she claims that she has info that was sent to her from MB. So we will see. This is not even to be believed. Did you solve the problem? Please let me know. Last thing I want is a third party radio in there that looks like hell.
  • Update: I took my car into the dealer. They are replacing the transmission tomorrow. Apparently, there are a lot of problem with this model. Let's see if the car drives better after that. Amazing that a $65k car would need a new transmission at 5k miles.
  • Hello. I have an 04 E320 Wagon. I saw that you were experiencing electrical problems. Are these related to the radio/phone? I have had a recurrent problem with my radio and phone since I bought the car. They turn off, then on, disconnect then mysteriously reconnect, switch from AM to FM - too many to list. MB has replaced just about everything, or that is what they have said. This weekend my radio/phone was going haywire, then about 9 hours later, my seat warmer caught on fire. I have a hole in the leather, and a tiny burn on my leg (leg is fine). MB is replacing everything, but when I suggested that these are connected they looked at me like I was crazy. Any suggestions?
  • The horror stories I read on this board and others regarding reliability issues for late model E Class cars has convinced me not to buy a new E 350, but I still covet this beautiful car and am wondering whether a 2003 or 2004 E 320 with 30,000 to 40,000 miles would tend to have had all the recalls already performed and mechanical problems already fixed so that the car would now be fairly reliable. I know I should probably just give up on the E Class until reliability improves, but I thought I would try one last time. Any thoughts from owners that endured hell with their E 320s and now think that the problems are finally behind them? What mechanical problems should I ensure have been taken care of if I decide to look for a 2003 or 2004 E 320? Thanks.
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    I would suggest a 2006 over previous model years. MB has been working on improving quality and I suspect you'll have better luck with a 2006 than previous model years.
    well, mine is a 2001 and I don't suspect for a second that "the problems are finally behind" me.

Regards,
    BigRob.
  • r1_97r1_97 Posts: 181
    You shouldn't judge reliability from posts here. People how don't have problems are less likely to announce their reliance history. That said, recent "E" models have had their share of problems. I had an '89 E which had to have the transmission replaced (under warranty). I have on '01 which is relatively trouble free.
    I was actually commenting based on my personal experience owning a 2001 E320 4matic. Not based on comments here.

Regards,
    BigRob.
  • I am new to the forum and have spent a couple days reading horror stories in the Audi and MB forums. I am considering purchasing a 99 E320 4Matic station wagon with 130k miles on it. I would like to know if this is in general a bad move? I am going to have the seller take the car to a garage to have the car checked out before I buy it I just want to know is there certain things I should have looked into more than others with this particular car. I am mostly concerned with problems based on the mileage and problems based on the year of the car.

Thx in advanced
  • wimpywimpy Posts: 5
    Mine hasn't and the service at our local dealer is so inept that they not only are of no help but only make things worse when the car is taken in.
  • wimpywimpy Posts: 5
    Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. If they are not working, sometimes you can use the remote to unlock then lock and it works. Dealer can't find anything wrong. Anybody had this problem.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    It's almost time to replace the pads and rotors on my 2001 E320 and I was hoping to find some pads (non-OEM) that would produce less dust than the MB pads. Tire Rack doesn't appear to offer any low dust pads for this car and I was wondering if anyone out there has found a source for low dust pads for the E-class cars? :confuse:
  • I know most people here have newer models but I purchased this Model a few months ago and have had many problems with the A/C sometimes not working and now I seem to have electical problems no dashboard lights I have lights on the floor shift indicator all the bulbs have been changed. I would like to know if anyone knows where to send to get a manual on this series after what I have read here I am not sure if I want to purchase a new model or not. Can anyone tell me if they know of any MB car meets? :confuse:
  • I own a 300 TD `98. Great runner on Highways, but after about 200 miles, if I drive through a built up area it starts to emit light blue smoke, clouds of it. Even on over-run. Very embarrassing, particularly at lights, as soon as I build up speed,it clears, until I hit town again. It doesn`t use oil/water, otherwise a great performer, electric for a Diesel! Any-one experience this?
    It`s done 110,000 mls.
    Tom.
  • sailsail Posts: 17
    I have a 98 300TD and find that periodically I have to open (Speed) up the car to clear the pipes). As you state, the blue smoke is there (value stem seals?). 88K on the gauge. Best car ever owned. 34 MPG since new and going strong. Replaced pads with ceramic at 55K. Would recommend ceramic,no dust; bought from TIRE RACK.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,990
    Valve stem seals are a likely candidate, and so is the turbo, which can leak oil into the engine through worn seals. If neither of those is determined to be the issue, then you should have a cylinder leakdown test done and that will tell you the internal condition of your engine.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• I have an E430. The rear window will not go all the way up and appears to be a cable problem once again. Had to have it repaired awhile back and apparently the cable had broken to a tune of $400.00. Can I pull the door panel and do this myself? If so how? Thanks, Joe