Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mrpmrp Posts: 10
    Snaglepus...no, nothing on the clock in the manual.

Rockypaul...I did exactly as you said. It is easy to do the change on the command system as you mention, but it doesn't change the analog clock on the dash. Also, once I turn the car off and then back on the change I made on the command system also reverts back to the wrong time again. Weird. Any other ideas anyone? Is it just malfunctioning?

Thanks.
  • ajusticeajustice Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 E500 and intermittly have a problem with my radio. It increases the output level with static and will not allow me to change stations or turn the radio off. to shut the radio off, I have to shut the car off and restart the car to correct the problem.
  • Hello,

I am thinking about getting a 2000-2001 E430 4Matic - ideally something that's had one owner and probably has between 75,000 and 100,000 miles. My simple question is, would I be crazy to do this?

First, a little bit about me... I have always been in love Mercedes cars since my dad had a turbo diesel in the mid 80s. (Probably my favorite car ever for various reasons.) I am in my mid 30s and have a family - including two small kids and one on the way. My wife drives a large SUV crossover, which is what we normally drive when all of us are together. So, my car is mainly for my personal use -- the majority of it spent in my 5-day-a-week, 40-mile round trip commute to and from work. (Mostly highway miles.) I have a professional job that requires me to entertain (and impress) clients and prospective clients on occassion, so I need something with some "image" -- as superficial as that sounds. I live in St. Louis, MO - so while our winters are not as bad as they are in the northern states, we do get our share of snow and ice. This winter, we had about 10 days that were difficult driving conditions - 2 of them absolutely horrible. I also live on a hill. So, I do need something that can handle weather. (I actually had to walk about a half mile in swirling snow carring my 3-yr-old daughter because my current car couldn't make the climb. Never again.)

Maybe you're asking why a nearly 8 year old car, then? Mainly, I'm trying to remain budget conscious in these uncertain economic times... getting something within my means - while being able to enjoy the benefits of a well-made luxury car. In my research so far on my needs -- and my wants -- this seems like an option.

As I am a few months away from actually purchasing one... I'm trying to focus on what would be the likely cost of ownership and maintenance environment of something like this. Would it be a reliable car that can run and run as long as it is maintained with routine "grooming" and careful driving? Or this car at this age be ready to hit a spat of serious maintenance issues and be prone for many expensive trips to to the shop?

To that end, as I scout potential sellers in my area... what kinds of things should I be on the lookout for - regarding maintenance? Are there any tell-tale signs that the car is due for some expensive replacements, or other issues? Or is just really the luck of the dice?

Thanks. I really appreciate any insight you can share and your candid responses.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Posts: 336
    A 4Matic is definitely going to cost more to maintain and repair. I would get a 2 wheel drive and invest in a set of winter wheels and 4 good snow tires for winter. Also that would also give you better mpg. As far as maintenace goes,insist on service records and that they are up to date. After I bought the car I would have ALL the fluids changed. If you can, get a Certified Car from an MB dealer.
    I believe that this would be a good start. Have been driving MB's since 1971 so I have had a little experience with them. After you find your car I would also join the MBCA as they have an excellent bi-monthly magazine which often features excellent tech articles. Lastly I would take my time and look for a car with closer to 50,000mi. on it. If you are patient you can find them. The MBUSA site has an excellent search program for preowned cars.
  • ace18ace18 Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a 97 e300 diesel. The car has 91,000 miles on it, one owner and has been flawlessly maintained. I need information concering reliability, problems, fuel mileage and maintainence associated with these cars. I currently own a BMW 7 series and it has been an excellent car (230,000 miles) but it's time to move on to something newer/cleaner. I was hell bent on buying another BMW until I found this car at a local Mercedes dealership. Can someone help, Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,796
    Fuel economy should be about 28 mpg averaged out city and highway.

Reliability is typical Mercedes "iffy" but on a well maintained car probably okay. Certainly you'd want the car thoroughly checked out before you buy it.

Performance is modest but acceptable.

If you survived a BMW 7 series, you may be the man for this car---you have good luck!
    ;)

• Do I need to erased codes in A/C control unit before recharging it.
    Freon is not going through after 50 PSI.
  • aeggroupaeggroup Posts: 131
    Hello.
    I've got my car brand new 1 month ago and since that time ( 1200 miles) I changed two tires already. One - because i got pat whole, another was flat - not reparable. My mechanic says it's because sport package tires very gentle and sensitive. Does anybody else have this problem too ? I got tire insurance, so I hope they will pay me back my $270 I spent for second tire. Thanks for reply anybody.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    Just found out that one of the front springs on my 2001 E320 has failed at the last turn of the coil. I have tried searching for replacements on the web but have had no luck. Does anyone know of a source for OEM equivalent or OEM front springs other than a local MB dealer? :(
  • snaglepussnaglepus Posts: 160
    :)

How do you know that they have failed? :confuse:

:D
    The mechanic who replaced the front shocks saw the broken coil on one; I didn't say both had failed.

BTW, after hours of searching on the web for a source, I found only one parts house that had springs listed and I had to request a quote via email. They wanted $92 each plus $15 total for S&H. I called my local dealer and they had them in stock and sold them to me for $82 ea. No S&H...! I just had to drive 22 miles round trip to get them..
    I have always liked my dealer for their fairness.
  • martha58martha58 Posts: 4
    I have a 1998 E320 4matic wagon. I have changed this fuse before but now can't find it!!!

I have looked in engine goes to #25, drivers side of dash 1-12, and under rear passenger seat.

Any clue what I did last time. Thanks
    But now that my mechanic has replaced the front springs, he did find that BOTH springs had broken off about half of the last coil...

He couldn't do anything about the AC blowing luke-cool air at the driver and frigid air at the passenger. Says that since around 2000, MB has implemented some kind of computer monitor/control of the AC system and ANY modification or work on the AC system has to be followed up by re-programming of the computer. Although he has a software package for most Euro cars, it doesn't include what he needs for this MB function. So I brought it back to the dealer today who found that the compressor had a leak and they wanted to replace it for $1400... I asked him about getting a used compressor (my car has 109K miles on it..!) and he called back in 4 minutes with a used compressor having only 42K miles and now the job will cost about $850 instead.. I'm getting it fixed and then this sucker is getting sold within the next 6 months. This is my second MB E-class that required big expenditures in the 110K mile range to keep them going. That is gonna stop.. I'm moving to Mazda or Honda or Hyundai (Genesis looks good!).. :)
    I found them myself!! in the engine fuse box 1-25 are brightly marked with white over the numbers making them easy to read.....if you get your readers and a flashlight a section close to it, that I thought held the extra fuses the owner's manual claims it has but I never found! has raised black numbers smaller in size and different fonts...that is where 40 and 41 are....replaced it and the horn now works, unfortunately the wipers and turn signals still do not. Taking it in as the steering column has gotten loose where it connnects to the dash. I believe the wiring in the turnsignal lever which also houses the wipers is screwed up unless a new lever is needed. The cruise on the column but a different lever still works....needless to say a few days without turn signals and wipers is hell. found an independent who can fix it??? I hope in 3 days. Until then rain-x yes it finally decided to rain here.
  • madmarlinmadmarlin Posts: 29
    Looking at a 2005 E320 CDI. Was a lease and now being sold as a CPO. Get th nice financing and the extended warranty as well. How's the overall reliability? Seems to be hit and miss. Nothing of note in the carfax report. Regular service only. Brakes were replaced about a year ago. Normal for an MB? Probably had about 25k miles on it at the time. I like the deal I have. Even with the price of diesel, I make out due to the MPG of my 2007 G35 (the high price of high horsepower). Thanks.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Posts: 336
    Go for it! Have one and it is a great car. Brakes replaced means nothing . It's how you drive. Have over 25k now and no problems.
  • philipbphilipb Posts: 9
    I also just found out the top coil on my 1999 E320 w/106000 mi was broken. The dealer will replace both front coils for $604.00!! He says it is a big job (1/2 day). He says he has seen several breakages like this. I think for a Mercedes this is faulty material, but I don't suppose they'll cover any of it. I only drive my car on good hard-surface roads. I've never had a broken spring on any other car. Good German engineering?? I now have a Lexus for my main car...just for that reason.
  • jodar96jodar96 Posts: 396
    It hurts to spend $600 over broken coil spring that no one should ever experience in a $45-$55K car. There is no doubt that there is something wrong with the coils whether it is the material or heat treating. Mercedes should own up to the problem and fix it free.
  • Hi, First Post.I bought my first M-B, a 2000 E320 with 76K onit in Feb 08. In beautiful shape in and out, but no service records. I put on new tires, plugs, belt ,fluids and filters. The air mass meter lasted for 100 miles after sale, so thats also new. Except for the tires, a local MB approved shop did all the work. A complete scan shows no malfunctions. I have 3 questions: a. Headlight coating. A local shop advertises clearing fo $100, with a 1 year warranty. thoughts on this? b. Operators manual cautions against using any phone in car that isn't wired into antenna. Doe's this apply to cellphones? c. Wandering elements in outside temperature display. I've gone over 15K Emails on MBs and saw that this was a problem on these models., (since finessed by MB by going analog). Msg #818 on this thread states that this can be repaired without replacing dashboard. Nothing further on this subject. will appreciate any comments on the above. These forums have provided me with a lot of useful information. Thanks to all. Jim
  • Hi, First Post.I bought my first M-B, a 2000 E320 with 76K onit in Feb 08. In beautiful shape in and out, but no service records. I put on new tires, plugs, belt ,fluids and filters. The air mass meter lasted for 100 miles after sale, so thats also new. Except for the tires, a local MB approved shop did all the work. A complete scan shows no malfunctions. I have 3 questions: a. Headlight coating. A local shop advertises clearing fo $100, with a 1 year warranty. thoughts on this? b. Operators manual cautions against using any phone in car that isn't wired into antenna. Doe's this apply to cellphones? c. Wandering elements in outside temperature display. I've gone over 15K Emails on MBs and saw that this was a problem on these models., (since finessed by MB by going analog). Msg #818 on this thread states that this can be repaired without replacing dashboard. Nothing further on this subject. will appreciate any comments on the above. These forums have provided me with a lot of useful information. Thanks to all. Jim
  • ruth10ruth10 Posts: 2
    WHAT IS THE CORRECT TEMP. FOR THE COOLANT . A MECHANIC TOLD ME IF IS 90 IT IS TOO HOT. JUST TOOK MY CAR TO SEARS FOR OIL CHANGE AND THEY SAID THAT WAS OK. WHO IS RIGHT?
  • ruth10ruth10 Posts: 2
    I BOUGHT PIRELLI TIRES, AFTER 10 000 MILES THE TIRES WERE BAD, MAKING TERRIBLE NOICES IS THIS NORMAL
  • rmbalisarmbalisa Posts: 129
    Hi all, considering a 2005 E500 AWD Wagon with about 20k miles. Anything in particular I should be looking for in terms of problems? how are the reliability of these vehicles? I think this might be a CPO, so how does that work for being a different owner? I've had an 06 ML350 and have a 08 R350, but they were new.
  • bottomsuppbottomsupp Posts: 11
    E320 better choice ... IF you need AWD wagon for tons of snow, etc. ... O.K.
    Unless these conditions ... 2WD Mercedes is more than enough. The maint cost of AWD is not worth the expense. If anyone else has any thoughts...
  • celloguycelloguy Posts: 2
    Hi gang,
    first post..
    I found a nice 320 e wagon with 55,000 miles, one owner and dealer maintained... it seems nice and the miles are low. I think the car would suit my needs very well and the asking price is around 12,500. seems like a good deal considering the milage. also consumers reports is not as harsh on this year mercedes as it is on most others.. is there any suggestions of what i should expect in maintenance over the next few years? any problems that are looming. there are quite a few independent mercedes repair shops, are they the best approach to long term maintenance. can i / should I get an extended warranty on an almost 10 year car? and suggestions or observations would be greatly appreciated! :)
    I bought a 98 E320 4 matic wagon 12-05 with 70K and love it.....absolutely no problems....the esp light comes on periodically but I have driven it with it for 55+K miles and no problem......buy that car as fast as you can. I didn't have any papers to show maintenance but could tell from the perfect condition that is was well cared for. I use an independent dealer as I wasn't happy with the level of customer service at my dealership but that can happen with any kind of car. If you just listen to your car you will learn it and know. I have put new tires and a couple of fuses and that is all. It is my first mercedes and not my last.
  • celloguycelloguy Posts: 2
    Thank you very much for your reply! i hope i get it too:)
  • rayg20rayg20 Posts: 6
    I have a 1991 300CE that the Cruise Control does not work. Does anyone have any idea which piece of the Cruise control might be the problem. I have checked the easy things like the fuses.
  • I just leased a 2008 E350 with satellite radio installed. I've configured the steering wheel controls to run through the preset memory stations for the radio and it works fine when listening to the FM or AM bands. However, when I'm listening to Satellite, the steering wheel contols go through each station, not the presets. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks.
  • snaglepussnaglepus Posts: 160
    :)

Different size tires front and rear. :confuse:

:D