Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dcr3dcr3 Posts: 1
    I am the owner of a 2001 E430 and have had several bulb issues, now my driver side front parking light is out. How do I change the bulb?
  • pmowrypmowry Posts: 1
    Hi;

I am having the same thing happen, I was thinking it was the temp cooler relay switch thing. I flushed the cooling system and I thought it was fixed. Today it quit twice. I popped the hood, felt a rush of heat, the gauge also was higher than it usually is. The guage was well abouve the 80 it usually is. As soon as the engine is cooled the concern is still there after a little cooling it starts, I am so pissy about being stranded. I saw the information about the starter, today during one of the start concern I heard a click, something abnormal. What can we do? any ideas? I tell ya I am frustrated. I have never heard my main fan run on the car rushing air into the cooler? hmmmm still up in arms.
  • Hi,

Did you ever get your clock, temp guage and gear selection guage fixed? What was the issue?

Any suggestions from other members is appreciated.

I have a 2002 e320 that has the same problem.

Thanks.
  • td01td01 Posts: 7
    My rear left window was stuck. Took it to MB Dealer - Got the Regulator replaced - Motor was ok. Cost is $600. While car was in shop the rear right window stopped working. Is this a recurring/common and/or design problem. Has Mercedes acknowledged the problem. Is there any way they will cover the repair cost after Warranty expires?
    TD.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    I own an unter-teknologie '03 Hyundai Sonata. I've had all four window regulators replaced twice in my car - at my expense. (Hyundai's explanation to me for not covering the work under its blanket 5 yr./60,000 mile basic warranty at my car's current 19,900 miles was a terse, "Damage due to excess use is not warranted." Gotta love Hyundai's bellicose corporate mindset.) Given MB's 10% equity stake in Hyundai, you don't suppose MB is using Hyundai as a contracted materials supplier do you? Now, that's a scary thought.
  • garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    I don't get it: what constitutes "excessive use" of an electric window? What would you be doing with all 4 windows (that they know about) that would justify use of the this limitation?
  • jodar96jodar96 Posts: 396
    I bought a 2001 E430 several months ago. I chose end of the cycle style rather than a 2003 new style thinking after making the older style from 1996 to 2002, Mercedes would have worked out the bugs and IMPROVED the design of all marginal parts. It does not appear that is the case.

When clock/shifter/temp read out go out in 2000-2002, it will cost about $1400 to replace it. They have to replace the entire IP. My E430 is a great car to drive, but I am kind of disappointed at MB for their nagging quality issues. Mercedes has already said that they have no intention of catching Lexus in build quality.....I don't think they can.

There is no doubt that Mercedes tests the water with new hi tech items much more than any Japanese car manufacturer will ever dare to, I just wish Mercedes would prove out the technology longer before mass marketing it. Look at their brake by wire on 2003 E-class.......

Still MB is a great driving car, and I keep praying that things don't go wrong with mine!!!

Joe
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Posts: 336
    It is recommended to use the windows often to help the problem with regulators. Also regulator price should be about $300 not $600
    There are places to get the instrument panel repaired

JOIN THE MB CLUB. Only $45 per year. You will find advertisers for most items that repair or replace parts for much less than MB dealers.

Just bought a 2005 E320CDI from their websight from another member at much less than a preowned from the dealer. If you have already spent $ 50,000 onthe car joining the club is a no brainer. Also sold my 2001 E320 here.
  • pete51pete51 Posts: 20
    Looking for feedback, I have a 97 E320 with 180K. The transmission seems to have trouble in 1st gear. When coming to a quick stop, it seems to slam in to first gear, also when coming to an almost stop and accelerating, it seems to hesitate between 1st and 2nd gear. Other than that all other shifts seem perfect. I had the transmission fluid and filter changed, and it did seem to help the problem, but it is still a problem. Anybody experienced with this problem please help! No other problems other than the infamous inline 6 oil leak that mechanic says to deal with the few drops that not really damaging anything but your garage floor or look at about a $1500 dollar repair. Needless to say I put a mat down to to protect the floor. My mechanic also says with this transmission nothing can be put in stone, plus you have 180K on the car it's not going to last forever. I still like this car and I would love to keep it if this is not a crazy repair. Any advice and/or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  • jodar96jodar96 Posts: 396
    Can I use dino oil in my used E430 with 75K miles? I have no intention of ever going to FSS's 10K mile interval. I just changed the oil for the first time. Last oil change was done at 70K. I put 0W40 Mobil one in for now.

I think MB was using dino oil in these engines with Flex Service that came out in 1998. Once they had issues with dino oil that FSS said to replace at 12-14K miles, they were seeing engine damage and then MB said to switch to synthetic to control the engine damage.

I think going so long between oil changes might have done some damage....I hear some lifter noise at cold starts that goes away after about a minute or two. A high tech engine like Mercedes V-8 that had oil changes at MB dealer at perscribed A and B service intervals, should not have lifter noise.

Joe
  • bottomsuppbottomsupp Posts: 11
    For the money (...saving same)

Les Swab tires hands down (WA/OR/ID/CA/etc...

1995 E320 = toyo proxies speed rated. with a 65000 mile warranty. The next best warranty is Continental @40,000.

BUT…
    The service and quality PLUS added…can not be qualified.

EXAMPLE: When I did not like my tire rotation …tires were 4wheel aligned then rotated (off rim=directional) AT NO CHARGE! with/a smile!

I always get my tires with them… can’t be beat…
  • steve500steve500 Posts: 11
    :D I need to change my front pads on my 2003 E500. It's got about 42k miles on it. It's the first pad change. I find the large amount of black dust to be somewhat annoying and would like to replace the OEM pads with a low dust or even no dust alternative. But I don't want racing pads nor something that has a significantly different brake pedal fell or that wears the rotors out too fast.

I heard that the EBC "Greenstuff" might be a good choice. Any experience with EBC or any other recommendations?
  • sailsail Posts: 17
    Installed on 98 E300D. No problem and brake dust has virtually been eliminated. My beef with OEM pads dust. No disk problems. Would recommend the pads.
  • steve500steve500 Posts: 11
    Thanks, Sail. I'll go w/ the EBC Greenstuff.
    BTW, how did you hear about EBC?
  • sailsail Posts: 17
    http://www.perfectbrakes.com/ Sorry upon checking it appears the tirerack does not carry them anymore. Please try above link
  • I have 2002 e240, and have the same problem. The dealer of MB told me the must replace the whole pannel, but I am not sure that this is the solution.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Posts: 336
    Can be repaired. Do an online search or look at STAR magazine.........MB club publication.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    I've been meaning to post a note re: PBR pads and rotors that I bought about 6 months ago from SASPOnline.com. I have bought items from these folks a number of times over the last 4-5 years and have always been pleased with their pricing, accuracy, and fast shipping. I don't remember where I heard about this brand but they were advertised as "low" dust and I too have gotten fed up with black rims on the front of my 2001 E320 and also on the 96 E320 I had.. These PBR pads are "dust free" compared to the OEM pads and I have only had to clean the rims once in 6 months or about 8000 miles...! A far cry from needing cleaning once or twice a month with the OEM pads.. And the PBR pads and rotors show no performance variance from the OEM.. I got 2 rotors, a set of pads, and 2 sensors from SASP for $169.87 back in January. Their prices are a few cents higher right now, but they are still cheaper than OEM..

They are at;
    www.SASPOnline.com
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    I am planning to replace the plugs and wires in my E320 but when I went to order the plugs, the online catalogs suggest there are 2 plugs per cylinder. Since the Owners Manual offers no info on that and since I can't figure out how to get the engine covers off, I'm hoping someone out there has some words of wisdom on 1.) removing the engine covers, and 2.) whether there are, in fact, 2 plugs per cylinder on this engine..

:confuse: :)