Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Well, I'm not entirely happy either. The dollar figures are more impressive than the number of repairs.
  • zueslewiszueslewis Posts: 2,353
    don't think I was being smart -

When you buy a 120,000 mile "anything", even a Mercedes, there will certainly be maintenance and repair costs you wouldn't see at 30,000 miles, even without a warranty.
  • The Maurcedes is a great car, and I've owned a lot of cars. I could put up with the repair costs if premium fuel were not so high.

Is there anyone out there that's tried running theirs on medium-grade fuel? I hate to switch with so many miles on the car. But I'd like to hear from any folks who have.
    will prevent pinging (detonation). You can do it, and you'll lose about 2% of the performance. Not a problem, from what I hear.
  • greenie7greenie7 Posts: 12
    Im moving from a completely faultless Acura RL into an E320. I have not made the change yet and after reading about mechanical failures of MB maybe I shouldnt. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
    and can assure you that the new prospect will not be "completely faultless".
  • retnavretnav Posts: 25
    Join the club. I traded a 2000 RL on 28 Jan for a Pewter/Charcoal E-320. My RL was a fine car and I debated over a month about selling. So far I am very well pleased; had to go out in snow and ice this week and the car did just fine. I have only 300 miles on this car so what do I really know. Nevertheless, in March 2002 I bought my wife a 2002 Subaru Outback. Reading the Subaru boards gave me real concern, and I debated for a couple of months. Finally bought that one and it has been a magnificent car, my wife is a convert though at first she was very skeptical. So my feeling is these boards are very useful in giving you things to look out for, discuss with the sales and service people at Mercedes, but in the end these are cars and things do go wrong with them. I really do like the drive of my mercedes ( but rear wheel drive is different from FWD), the fit and finish, and the styling. Who knows if I will be sorry--- my Acuras were very reliable cars. But, I am 71 and just wanted to try MB. As my salesman said,"look around, there are a lot of older Mercedes driving out here. They must be pretty good cars". Good Luck !
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,577
    The CD changer "died" on my 2003 E-class today following a brief muffled sound. It is totally unresponsive even though the Harmon-Kardon radio still works perfectly. Anyone else have this problem; if so was the CD &/or radio replaced?
    Got the car back today. It was in for two days waiting for a "part". CD changer is back to working flawlessly (hope it lasts). Dealer was exceptional at providing loaner and with general customer service. BTW the ML320 (the loaner)leaves much to be desired and did not enhance my opinion of MB.
    guys with Toyotas gripe because they get a Chevrolet rental car......
  • hgphgp Posts: 11
    Folks,

I have a 2001 E430 Sport and the steering wheel is making a rubber to rubber sqeuaking/grinding noise and it is pretty annoying. It is intermittent and it sometimes gets louder. Has anyone seen this?

Thanks!
  • cduongcduong Posts: 70
    #115 of 118 CD player by carnaught Mar 01, 2003 (9:56 pm)
    The CD changer "died" on my 2003 E-class today following a brief muffled sound. It is totally unresponsive even though the Harmon-Kardon radio still works perfectly. Anyone else have this problem; if so was the CD &/or radio replaced?

My CD player in my '96 E320 went dead a month ago, and the radio still works... After a quick inspection, I found out that the connection of my CD in the trunk came loose and got disconnected... Now it's woorking again. You may want to check the connection. Good luck
    My car has a different set-up than in your '96 and the CD was fixed after a part was ordered.
  • Brought my 2001 E430 into the shop the other day because of a braking problem. Dealer is telling me that front rotors are warped and the rear ones need replacing. What a crock! 27,000 for rotors. How about 50,000 for rotors. Anyway, after a discussion with the service manager, he is having MB pick up the bill on it.
    Also had to have the driver seat frame replaced too, seems to be a common problem in E class.
    that's pretty much an average mileage for rotor warpage, if not even earlier.

On the bright side, the GM, Ford and DCC owners are having to replace theirs at 15K!
  • jeffk9jeffk9 Posts: 22
    HI,
    I HAVE A 2003 E320 WITH 3600 MILES ON IT. THIS IS MY THIRD MBZ, AND ITS THE WORST ONE. IM HAVING TROUBLE WITH TRIM ITEMS COMING OFF, AS WELL AS TELE-AIDE NOT WORKING, AND STEREO COMING ON AND OFF. CARS IS IN SHOP FOR THIRD TIME, EACH TIME AT LEAST A WEEK. ANYONE ELSE HAVING PROBLEMS ? ANY SUGGESTIONS OF HOW TO GET OUT OF THIS ?
  • r1_97r1_97 Posts: 181
    You're facing typical 1st model year bugs. MB also has let quality control slip badly since Chrysler merger. Check you state's lemon laws. Maybe you can get your money back or a new car. Document all the problems.

Let go of your cap lock key. Save your shouting for Mercedes not us.
  • Zueslewis, if you told me my Kia needed rotors at 27,000 miles I would chalk it up to it being a cheap car, but this is crazy! My family and I have owned MB cars since 1984 and I can tell you than it has been a downhill road we have travelled. 50,000 should be more like it. Chevy cars last longer. Not good in my eyes.
    I understand completely, but EVERY manufacturer has switched over to much thinner brake rotors for ease in meeting CAFE standards. Once again, the beancounters have removed common sense from another car maintenance equation.