Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Amanti 2006 and earlier

Comments

• umeweallumeweall Member Posts: 45
    I forgot to say that the dealer is in Manteca, California.
    One last thing. This 'reprogramming' appears to have resolved the following items for me: Sudden acceleration (jack rabbiting) of vehicle when pressing on gas pedal; no acceleration when pressing on gas pedal. Also, my vehicle is a 2005, I do not know if the TSB for my vehicle also applies to 2006 models. However, I had 'heard' that there were no real changes between the 2005 & 2006 models, but this is hearsay. I just found a site with some TSB information, http://www.mycarstats.com/auto_TSBs/KIA_AMANTI_TSBs.asp. This site has TSB's for 2004, 2005, & 2006 models. The other site is the NHTSA site, http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm . The main site being, http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?did=545&scid=98 . The NHTSA site has the following information, when you bring up TSB's for the 2005 Amanti "Make : KIA Model : AMANTI Year : 2005
    Manufacturer : KIA MOTORS AMERICA, INC.
    Service Bulletin Num : 029 Date of Bulletin: MAR 01, 2007
    NHTSA Item Number: 10021445
    Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
    Summary:
    ECU - UPGRADE DRIVEABILITY IMPROVEMENT
    ." This would indicate a service bulletin, number 29, if this is the same one. For the NHTSA site you have to step through the pages, answering some questions, and requesting 'research' if you desire to do so.
  • ppborcebppborceb Member Posts: 61
    Hi umeweall:
    I've been away for a while and just got back to pick up your reply... thanks very much for the information.
    I forwarded it to my dealer and they called me this morning to set up an appointment for next week.
    I'll let you know the results.
    Remember, I said that this is an intermintent problem, so it might take a while to give you feedback.
    Thanks again.
    PPB
    Yes, the reality is that you will have to drive the vehicle for a while, to see if the 'fix' has indeed resolved the problem. One drive out of the dealers' lot will not do it. The other half is to insure that the 'fix' did not create any other issue. :)
  • mom2bennettmom2bennett Member Posts: 8
    Well, less than a month after the 'fix' I was driving my Amanti and all of a sudden, the acceleration was weird and the check engine light came on intermittently. I just made it into a gas station before smoke came out the tailpipe and the car died. the dealership determined a piston (I think) got stuck which burned out 2 catalytic converters. I have no idea if this is at all related to the previous problem. I am thinking it is time to get rid of this car, just waiting to see what the dealer will give me in trade before I know if I can get rid of it. :lemon:
    Sounds like it might be unrelated, but I am not a mechanic. Having had a piston go out before, I know that you WILL have a power/acceleration problems, immediately. I was sorta annoyed, as my car only had 315,000 miles on it at the time. No, it was not a KIA, it was a Lincoln Town Car, the old 'boat' (as in LARGE) version. They don't make them like that anymore! As for my 'fix', I am now at 986 miles, without an issue, and driving happily, for the first time since I bought it, a year ago.
  • vanpjvanpj Member Posts: 14
    Good luck on the trade-in value from your dealer. After fighting the problem on my '06 for a year I thought I'd just try to trade it in on an '07 model. Understand that my Amanti had 8,100 miles on it and was slightly less than 12 mos. old. Cost new was $29k and change. They offered $15k to trade up to an '07. That's almost 50% depreciation in one year. My old Toyota Avalon depreciated 50% AFTER 5 YEARS. Never another KIA for me!!!!!!!!!!! :lemon:
    OK, with this last message, a hint for future buyers, of any car-DON'T BUY NEW! I stopped doing this ages ago. While I like the new car smell, I am not willing to pay for the depreciation plunge, driving off the dealer lot.

I purchased my 2005 KIA from a car rental agency. It had 15,000 miles on it, the new car smell, 1 yr. warranty, and factory warranty, and absolutely clean, except for some minor paint issues. I also KNEW that it had been serviced properly, as it had been in usage. I paid $18,000 for it, fully loaded. This is far removed from a $29,000 price tag, or even one 'on sale' for $25,000. Now don't get me wrong, you can get a car with a problem, but if it has the one year warranty, you are covered and even better covered with the factory warranty still in effect. Before I bought the car, they came to my house, bringing the car. I got to test drive the car, and then go back to sign the deal. All I did was pick the phone up, finding that they had one matching what I wanted, and they brought it. I have been purchasing rental cars for my past three vehicles, saving myself tons of money. I will not buy a used vehicle unless I know the service history, AND have a remaining factory warranty on it, plus the 1 yr. warranty from the seller. This gives me double coverage! You may have some scrapes, especially in the trunk/bumper area, from people hauling bags out of the trunk. This is no big deal, as this is a minor paint redo, and is extremely minor in comparison to the thousands that you save by not purchasing new.

As for depreciation, I don't worry about it as I buy a car that I like, with everything that I want in it. I then keep the car essentially forever. I do not have the bug to always have a 'new' vehicle.
  • supplymansupplyman Member Posts: 2
    Had the fix done car has 17,000 miles on it. Fix done one day and drove home with no problem. Next morning driving about 4 miles down the road the car started jerking losing power and RPM gauge jumping between 2,000 & 4,000 rpm with check engine light coming on. Dealer keep car overnight and determined IFS sensor had gone bad replaced it and drove home. Next day driving over to local city and ESP OFF light comes on. Shut car off and back on after I got to where I was going that was Friday and light stayed off. Today was driving car and ESP OFF light comes back on. Have also noticed that since the TSB fix the car seems to have lost power or quickness that it had. It seems to stumble or shudder around 55 to 60 MPH where you used to be able to give it some pedal going up a hill and it would kick in and go up the hill with no problem it now seems to bog down. I'm taking it in to have the wheels balanced and an alignment done on it to make sure that is not the problem with the stumbling and shudder before I take it back to the dealer.
    I doubt if it is the tires, or alignment. I had seen a post on the KIA forums, of lights coming on. I can only speculate that something in the 'reprogramming' did not go right and they may have to do it again. I have had no power lost issues from my 'reprogramming', and I am at 966 miles after the 'fix'.
  • mikewellsesqmikewellsesq Member Posts: 29
    From kiatechinfo.com:

Published 3/22/2007

Model: Amanti [GH](2004) Amanti [GH](2005) Amanti [GH](2006)

Grp./Sys./Comp.:
    Fuel System / Engine Control System / Accelerator Position Sensor (APS)

Some 2004 – 2006 Amanti (GH) vehicles may set a variety of Powertrain DTCs that relate to the Accelerator Position Sensor (APS) or APS circuit. We have discovered in some cases that the APS (PN 35357 39700) has been replaced unnecessarily, and that the problem was found to be circuit connection/connector related.
    Typically, it is found that either APS 1 or APS 2 is reading out of specified range. In some cases, it is the connections at the APS that are causing the concern, and not the APS itself.
    Before replacing any APS, clean any dielectric grease from the electrical connections, and then check pin tension. Replace any female pins in the harness connector that are found to be loose. Finally in all cases, apply electrical connector *Stabilant 22A® (locally sourced) to assure good pin connector contact.
    Recheck APS operation with the scan tool. Only replace the APS if the resulting readings are still out of specified range.

Hopes this helps some folks. Show this Pitstop to your deaer's service manager (better yet, register yourself at kiatechinfo.com and get all TSB's, Pitstops, campaigns, etc., and make a printout). Knowledge is power!

MikeWellsEsq: 2007 Pewter Beige Amanti w/leather, sunroof, wheel pkg. :)
    Yes, to have all possible information is a good thing to have. However, the site address as listed will not take you to where you need to go. The correct address is:

www.kiatechinfo.com

This is working right now. If you attempt to use the address, kiatechinfo.com, you will not currently get to the site. It may be that the site is having an issue.

I can reach the site with Internet Explorer, and the latest 'Firefox' browser.
    Hi Umeweall:
    I finally brought in my 2006 Amanti for the TSB fix and they replaced the TCM(Transmission Control Module)and so far I haven't experienced the acceleration problem. As I mentioned previously, it was an intermitent occurance, so I just have to wait a while.
    I have to say that this service department went out of their way to make things right, and in addition gave me a rental until they got the part, installed it, and test drove it in order to satisfy themselves that the fix had taken.
    By the way, I'm in Wallingford, CT and although we cannot give individual names on this forum, I can say the dealer was Executive Kia and thanks to the Service Manager I had a excellent service experience.
    PPB
    Congratulations! I am currently over a 1,000 miles with the 'fix' having been done. I have had none of the issues return and my vehicle is now fun to drive. With those major irritations removed, I love the car. I still could wish for better gas mileage, but what the heck. My 'other' vehicle is a 1999 Buick Park Avenue and I can get up to 30 mpg in it. I average 27 mpg, NOT driving the posted speed limit (i.e. I drive the 'unofficial' speed limit, driving along with everyone else!).

Glad to hear that your dealer took very good care of you, and they should, especially with a new vehicle. If KIA wants to promote this vehicle as a solid luxury model, they also need to focus on the service that customers of this vehicle receive. Little perks like the loaner car that they let you use will go a long way in customer satisfaction. :)
  • himi1himi1 Member Posts: 25
    Hi, here is a video about Kia Amanti crash tests! Take a look how safe is your beautifull car.
    http://www.kia-world.net/index.php/2007/08/19/video-kia-amanti-crash-test/
  • valinowegovalinowego Member Posts: 1
    I'm having trouble with the red airbag light on my dash coming on. I've had it to the dealership, and at first they said it was because there was some stuff under the front seats. They did some work on it and sent me on my way. It came back on. Now the dealership says it does not know what's wrong and that it would contact the Kia Rep for advice. Over 2 weeks later I've heard nothing. Has anyone else had problems with the airbags in their 2006 Kia Amanti? I'd like to know if this is a problem with others, or if my problem is unique.
  • amanticrazyamanticrazy Member Posts: 4
    The airbag light came on in my 2004 Amanti about 6 months ago. The dealership cleared the computer error codes and said I needed a new battery. I knew the battery was getting weak so I changed it myself (I didn't want to pay the dealer for this service). The light has never reappeared.
  • oppopp Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Amanti and am coming up on the 60K mark. I am also retiring and relocating and wonder if anyone is familiar with the reliability of these belts past the 60K mark?? I would be going to about 63K before replacement and see no reason to do it where I am now. But thought I might ask if anyone has seen any problems in that milage range.
    I like the car and want to keep it sound.
    Yes, that is a good question, which I would be interested in an answer also.
  • hutchjhutchj Member Posts: 1
    Same problem with my 2004 Amanti. Airbag light remained on after start up. The dealership technician replaced the battery and cleared the computer codes and it appears the problem was corrected. My battery did not appear o be getting weak as all other electrical systems and indicators were operating OK including cold weather statr-up. Perhaps KIA needs to put out a bulletin on this problem as it took the technician about 90 minutes to correct the problem. I was charged for the diagnostic test and new battery.
    It's BAAAACK!
    My wife was driving the car and it had the hesitation/lurch problem twice in the past month.
    The next time it happens I'll go to the dealer and let them know it's recurring.
    Anyone else out there having this problem and getting it fixed?
    Please let me know the TSBs so I can bring them to the dealer.
    Thanks in advance for your cooperation, wherever you may be in the country.
    I'm in Connecticut.
    PPB
    Yes, I've had the problem again. Had the computer re-programmed about 5 months ago. Problem seemed to be solved, however on a recent trip while stopped at a red light, the car lurched forward almost hitting the stopped vehicle in front of me. This is the only time it has happened since the re-programming but it appears that it can still occur. I've had absolutely no luck with Kia even though I invoked the "lemon law". Guess I'll just have to get rid of vehicle and go back to a Toyota.
  • jamie5455jamie5455 Member Posts: 9
    what happened to all the folks with the acceleration problems I read about? Did they finally find a fix - I would like to know what it was. I bought my 2005 amanti 1 1/2 yrs ago and have recently experienced the lack of acceleration when pushing on the pedal and then the sudden lurch into traffic nearly causing a few accidents! Finally on 1/21/08 I lost acceleration and the check engine light came on - had to have it towed 60 miles away (compliments of Kia) Dealer said they cleaned off some gunk build up some wires. Drove an hour to pick it up. On 2/28/08 took it over to a shop to have brakes checked - tech took it out for test drive, came back and said he almost got into 2 accidents due to hesitation as he tried to merge into traffic. I got in my car and headed back to work when the engine light came on and I lost acceleration. I glided into my work's parking lot and called Kia. Once again they towed it, dealer called and said the same code came up - P2127 - and that they were going to order a throttle actuator. Kia said they would pay 1/2 the cost of a rental for me!!! I told them I couldn't afford it and asked if they could just deliver the car when it got fixed. They said they don't reunite owners with their cars. that would be something the dealership would have to agree to. They called back and told me they would deliver it when it was fixed. I certainly hope it gets fixed this time - I'm already scared to death to drive it! I owe so much on it it wouldn't be feasible to trade it in! Wish somebody here knew what the fix was. The dealership said they hadn't heard of any problems with this sort of thing -- I told him there were thousands of complaints on the internet about it! Someone's going to get killed and then Kia will get sued undoubtedly - then maybe they will look into this further and order a recall.
    After getting the computer re-programmed I thought the problem was solved. I finally settled with Kia for $3,000 after invoking the lemon law. The problem has started up again. The last time was when my wife was about to open the passenger door and get in the vehicle. It lurched forward and had she been in the process of actually getting in the vehicle she would have been thrown to the pavement or possibly worse. After that incident I got rid of the vehicle within the next 48 hours and bought a HONDA. I WILL NEVER, EVER OWN A KIA AGAIN. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A NATIONWIDE CLASS-ACTION SUIT FILED AGAINST THE COMPANY FOR THEIR INDIFFERENCE AND LACK OF CONCERN. I simply got tired of fighting them. The attorney said it could take another 1 to 2 years if we went to litigation. NEVER, NEVER AGAIN!!!!! :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    I directed my dealership to this forum, which they said they read through and got some helpful info from. I am not sure what the fix was that they did but I have not had a problem since July '07 (knock on wood). After reading the recent posts about the problem coming back I am very concerned! I also had a different problem with the car at about the same time which was a stuck piston, I believe. I too, would love to get rid of the car but am in the same boat as you. I owe too much on it to get rid of it but I would get rid of it in a heartbeat. Hope this helps.
    Is there anyway you have the paperwork left from the 7/07 fix?? I am very curious as to what they did. The Kia person I spoke to in California wasn't sympathetic at all!!! I'm just wondering why only some of the Amanti's are having this problem?? What could be different. I'm really getting irate about this whole thing after having read the numerous posts about the same thing. Kia and the dealership act like this is the first time they've heard about this problem??? I find that hard to believe, especially if Kia has taken cars in under the lemon law and given some people money. I wish they would take my car back - I have a son who has his permit and I don't dare to even let him drive it either!!!
    UPDATE - GOT MY CAR BACK FROM THE KIA DEALERSHIP. SO FAR SO GOOD, BUT IT WASN'T AN EVERYDAY PROBLEM TO BEGIN WITH. I'M STILL PARANOID AND KEEP MY FOOT VERY CLOSE TO THE BRAKE IN CASE IT LURCHES, AND I DON'T PULL OUT IN FRONT OF ANY ONCOMING TRAFFIC FOR FEAR IT MIGHT NOT ACCELERATE. THEY PUT A THROTTLE ASSEMBLY IN IT.
    Greetings. As one of the previous complaining parties, I can tell you that yes, the situation can be a royal pain in the butt. I went through the throttle business, as I had previous explained, with the finality of having the computer in my car reprogrammed. Yes, the tendency was still holding breath for a good while, not being totally sure how the car would respond. At this point I can say that the reprogramming worked for my vehicle, which I am very happy about. I have owned a Lincoln Town Car, and still own my Buick Park Avenue, which were/are great cars. I get 30 MPG in my Park Avenue, doing 75 MPH, it is a keeper (at 170,000 miles!). My KIA is a different breed of car, and I like it, for the drive, and the features. The drive is what makes it for me, as I am NOT a 'feel the road' person. I am glad the issues have been worked out as I plan on keeping the car, even though I am not thrilled with the mileage it gets (I use my Park Avenue for long trips). People still gawk at the car. Kept clean, it is a nice looking car. One thing that I will say, which goes for all vehicles, you must keep the maintenance up. Do not try to play cheap on getting recommended service work done. Also, do not use cheap ('mystery' gas) in your car. It may be cheap at the pump, but may cost you in engine work later.
  • gpb123gpb123 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem. No check engine light came on until I really hit the gas pulling out of a parking lot onto a busy street. Then the light came on.
    What was it? The throttle position sensor.
    Not only is the problem gone, the transmission shifts better, I guess because the computer can better sense where the gas pedal is.
    The dealer knew nothing about it. Pass this info on!
  • gpb123gpb123 Member Posts: 2
    Try the throttle position sensor!!!! Mine used to hesitate (lag, then lurch forward), and the check engine light never came on UNTIL I stomped the gas one day pulling out of a parking lot onto a busy street. THEN the light came on. The problem? Throttle position sensor! Not only is the problem gone, the transmission shifts better, I guess because the computer has a better idea of the position of the gas pedal!
  • csandoval2csandoval2 Member Posts: 8
    I am having the sam exact problem with my 2004 kia amanti! I have almost had an accident 5 times. I have barely submitted complaint to BBB.. My car has 33k miles & is under warranty.. the kia dealership mechanic said its a common problem with KIA AMANTIs.. he claims it has something to do with the gas overheating.. appapently there is a different mechanism for every other kia except the AMANTI.. he told me that i have to drive with a half tank of gas @ all times in order for "breathing room" for the gas not to overheat. The original sales person told me to only use premium gas which i strictly did, now after 4 months the MECHANIC said for me to put the lowest grade because it has less octaine percent.. either way I should not have to deprive myself or my car of premium gas OR have to drive on a half tank of gas at all times (which is redicilous).

Please let me know what progress & steps you are taking to research & fix this issue.. I spoke to one rep at KIA before I wrote the BBB complaint & she denied any liability & said there is no issue.. I beg you, PLEASE WRITE A COMPLAINT TO THE BBB TO HELP BOTH OUR CASES.. I am a 21 yr old single mother & my child was in the car 3 of the 5 times it has happened it was very scary & dangerous, the dealership is trying to take advantage of my situation even though the car still has full warranty & was purchased 4 months ago. They were notified about the problem 2 months into ownership, but denied any malfunction saying "they had to catch the problem in the act". By pure luck, 3 weeks ago the car did the same thing blocks away from the dealership. They said the cannot fix it but offered me $10k for trade for another car from them when I just paid $16k 4 months ago. This sounds like a classic rip off to me!

anyway do mean to rant away to you, but you & your wife probably have the same frustration that I am going through.. please respond if possible.. thanks

christina sandoval
    sandoval_59@q.com
    I am having the sam exact problem with my 2004 kia amanti! I have almost had an accident 5 times. I have barely submitted complaint to BBB.. My car has 33k miles & is under warranty.. the kia dealership mechanic said its a common problem with KIA AMANTIs.. he claims it has something to do with the gas overheating.. appapently there is a different mechanism for every other kia except the AMANTI.. he told me that i have to drive with a half tank of gas all times in order for "breathing room" for the gas not to overheat. The original sales person told me to only use premium gas which i strictly did, now after 4 months the MECHANIC said for me to put the lowest grade because it has less octaine percent.. either way I should not have to deprive myself or my car of premium gas OR have to drive on a half tank of gas at all times (which is redicilous).

Please let me know what progress & steps you are taking to research & fix this issue.. I spoke to one rep at KIA before I wrote the BBB complaint & she denied any liability & said there is no issue.. I beg you, PLEASE WRITE A COMPLAINT TO THE BBB TO HELP BOTH OUR CASES.. I am a 21 yr old single mother & my child was in the car 3 of the 5 times it has happened it was very scary & dangerous, the dealership is trying to take advantage of my situation even though the car still has full warranty & was purchased 4 months ago. They were notified about the problem 2 months into ownership, but denied any malfunction saying "they had to catch the problem in the act". By pure luck, 3 weeks ago the car did the same thing blocks away from the dealership. They said the cannot fix it but offered me $10k for trade for another car from them when I just paid $16k 4 months ago. This sounds like a classic rip off to me!

anyway do mean to rant away to you, but you & your wife probably have the same frustration that I am going through.. please respond if possible.. thanks

christina sandoval
    sandoval_59q.com
    I am having the sam exact problem with my 2004 kia amanti! I have almost had an accident 5 times. I have barely submitted complaint to BBB.. My car has 33k miles & is under warranty.. the kia dealership mechanic said its a common problem with KIA AMANTIs.. he claims it has something to do with the gas overheating.. appapently there is a different mechanism for every other kia except the AMANTI.. he told me that i have to drive with a half tank of gas all times in order for "breathing room" for the gas not to overheat. The original sales person told me to only use premium gas which i strictly did, now after 4 months the MECHANIC said for me to put the lowest grade because it has less octaine percent.. either way I should not have to deprive myself or my car of premium gas OR have to drive on a half tank of gas at all times (which is redicilous).

p.s. KIA corparate rep i spoke with also acted obvilious to the problem! pissed me off.

christina sandoval
    sandoval_59q.com
    After having the problem occur 3 times within a month it is finally fix - at least it seems to be. I believe they put what they called a new throttle body on it - I don't think it was the sensor?? I don't have the paperwork right handy right now - if I think of it I will dig up the service order and post back. I haven't had any problems since their last fix thank God! It had me worried sick and I still keep looking at the rpms to see if they are jumping around when they shouldn't be but for now all is well :)
    I recently took my car in because the check engine light was on and one of the rear windows wouldn't go down. The Service Manager told me the Check Engine light was related to the window motor going out & they would replace that (laughing the whole time about what kind of car manufacturer ties the windows to the check engine light!). At the same time, they were also putting in a new throttle body. I have no idea why he put the new throttle in, if there is some sort of known problem now or if it showed up in the computer...regardless, they did it and I am thankful. :shades:
    I ASKED THEM WHAT THE ERROR CODE WAS ON THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT - THEN I SEARCHED THE CODE ON THE INTERNET AND IT WAS RELATED TO THE THROTTLE. HARD TO BELIEVE WINDOW PROBLEM WOULD BE TIED INTO THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!! LAST TIME I WAS IN FOR MY PROBLEM I TOLD THEM MY FRONT PASSENGER WINDOW WAS MAKING A PINGING NOISE WHEN I PUT IT DOWN (LIKE A RUBBERBAND PING) I TOLD THEM I HOPE THE MOTOR ISN'T GOING - THEY SAID THEY COULDN'T HEAR THE SOUND - THUS THEY DIDN'T CHECK INTO IT. MOTOR BETTER NOT GO BAD!!! THE LOUSY THING FOR ME IS THAT I BOUGHT THE CAR AT A LOCAL KIA DEALER WHO DISCONTINUED THE KIA DEALERSHIP SHORTLY AFTER I BOUGHT THE CAR. I HAVE THINGS THAT NEED TO BE FIXED BUT THE CLOSEST DEALER IS ALMOST AN HOUR AWAY AND WHO CAN TAKE THEIR CAR DOWN AND LEAVE IT TO BE FIXED, GET SOMEONE TO DRIVE ME BACK HOME AND THEN GET SOMEONE TO TAKE ME BACK DOWN WHEN IT'S DONE. I'VE HAD NO BIG PROBLEMS BUT I WANT TO GET RID OF THE CAR JUST DUE TO THE FACT THAT THE CLOSED WARRANTY DEALERSHIP IS SO FAR AWAY.
    Per my previous postings, yes, it is definite that a problem has existed, and still exists. The key point being that KIA does want to officially recognize it as a problem. They are dealing with it apparently on a case-by-case basis, blowing people off, who allow themselves to be blown off. The lid will come off if the acceleration issues causes a fatality, and someone sues KIA. Although KIA has refused to officially state that a problem exists, there are enough complaints, covering the issue, to provide evidence in court that a problem has existed.
    It is unfortunate that people have to really press to get attention for the issue, but that goes back to not wanting to recognize the issue. The standard comment seemingly is "we cannot duplicate the problem". As I previously stated in another posting, there is a programming fix for the throttle. I also collected a lot of information at the time, from a variety of sources, as I was prepared to ignite world war III in court. If you would like a copy of this document, provide your email address and I will send it to you. You might also want to check the following site, where you will see others complaining about the issue:

kia-forums.com/kia-amanti-opirus-forum/31557-amanti-acceleration-problems.html
    please send me all documentation regarding.

you are so correct i finally talked to kia corporate regarding the bbb complaint I just submitted.. they totally deny anything wrong calling it "vapor lock" saying it has to do with the hi octaine & high heat/elevation in my GAS.. i need everything you got thanks!!

sandoval_59@q.com
  • buckhornbuckhorn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Amanti with 70,000 miles on it and until recently it's been a great car.
    Every now and again it has a vibration similar to driving over the warning bumps that are on some roads to alert you of upcoming tolls etc.
    The vibration lasts only 2 to 4 seconds and may only occur after driving 20 miles and sometimes 50 miles or whatever.
    I took it into the KIA dealer and they couldn't find a problem and assured me that the suspension etc was OK.
    Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • poroosporoos Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at '05 and '07 Amantis and realize that the newer ones have the bigger engine and less weight. My question is whether the '05s can run fine on Regular gas instead of needing Premium all of the time. Here in CA, we have the most expensive gas so Regular saves $.40 to $.50 per gallon.
    Also, have read that adding an ounce of two of straight "acetone" to each fillup will drastically improve the fuel-burn efficiency and the mileage on these cars. Any comments...or is it too dangerous?
    What kind of mileage are you getting on '05s or '07s on Regular/Premium, around town, freeway, combined? Thank you!!
    I have an 2005 Amanti and I have never used premium fuel, and the dealer did not state that it was needed. My vehicle runs just fine on regular gas, with no power issues, and I life in California. Personally, I do not like the 2007 models, with their
    all black dash/door look. I like the wood grain patterns on the 2005. I also don't like the new tail lights on the 2007, or the change that they made in the coin gray on the console (they shrank it). Of course, my taste is my taste, not someone else's! I did hear that the 2007 engine had a little bit more 'zip' and supposedly
    a little 'growl' to it. That Is fine, but I have needed neither to this point. If you
    are hearing the 'growl', you are putting more pedal to the medal, using more fuel,
    and I am in an economizing mood, not a showing off the public mood. As for
    mileage, I get 26.5 MPG @ 65 MPH, 21 MPG @ 75 MPG, and 30 MPG @ 55 MPG. I have started to do a lot more 65 MPH and 55 MPH, just leaving a little earlier, not being in a big rush. :)
  • shadow99688shadow99688 Member Posts: 209
    I'm getting around 29mpg in my 05 amanti, drove 125.3 miles and only had to put 4.3 gallons in it, round trip to town and home is 125.3 miles (from gas station in town to home and back to gas station) drive 60 to 65mph.
  • whm1952whm1952 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a new 2006 Amanti in late 2007. Speed control problems were experienced;
    - at minimal throttle the car would lurch; never knew when it would move slowly as intended or act like a bucking bronco; it was an ccident looking for a place to happen
    - at other times, the response would be sluggish, much like trying to accelerate with "full choke" in cars of years past
    - there were a couple of other strange responses.

I complained weekly to the salesman and the service manager. When the car went in for it's first scheduled service, the service manager had already found an obscure service memo, which obliquely referenced the problem, but not hitting it straight on, and advised to proceed only if a customer complained repeatedly. Because of my technical background, I suspected that the problem was in the software, because it is "fly by wire" as far as the throttle is concerned and kept hammering that point with the service manager.

The repair comprised of uploading upgraded engine control software and took all of 5 minutes. Since then, no problems and the car is a joy to drive, in fact, it's the best driving car I've owned.

Contrary to the experience of many others as noted on this and other sites, my experience was that the problem was found and diagnosed early on. Kia knows that there is a problem; they have issued a service bulletin (even if it is obscure); they have a fix which works and best of all doesn't really cost them anything!. I don't understand why they seem to keep stonewalling on the issue.

Don't accept any B.S from Kia.
  • amantiamanti Member Posts: 1
    I have taken my Amanti into the dealers several times telling them It took off when I just touched the pedal and then other times I could hold the gas pedal to the floor and it just barely moved. I would just make it to the side of the road. Another time it had to be towed to the dealers. The light would stay on but it would run ok when restarted so they can never duplicate the problem. Monday it happened again and the dealer tried to say I topped off the gas and it probably had gas in the filter. I explained this is not the first time and I didn't top off the gas. Finally they said it was the TPS sensor and they would have to order a new one. I had to rent a car which Kia will not pay for even though this has been an on going problem which they seem to ignore. I called Kia and got no satisfaction. .I explained about this forum and the dangers people have faced and was wondering why Kia didn't do something about this problem. The man said any thing could be a potential danger in a car but didn't mean they would recall it. He stated they had no other complaints with this problem. He explained they only know about warrantee work that can be diagnosed and since they have never found the correct problem I guess they ignore it. If anyone has heard of a class action against KIA I would be interested in joining it. I won't buy another KIA because of this problem. Otherwise I loved my Amanti and get so many compliments on what a beautiful car. To bad KIA isn't listening.
    In regards to the acceleration problem with the KIA Amanti, causing lunging, and other acceleration related problems, they know about it.

I believe that their issue is that they do not want to publicly admit that there is a safety problem with their vehicle, as that might expose them to lawsuits. I am sure that folks have had accidents due to this item. It KIA were to state publicly that there was a problem, and issue a recall to correct the problem, they are announcing to the world that their vehicle had an issue. This would not only potentially affect them civil liability wise, but it would affect the illusion of mechanical perfection of the Amanti. If you search for defects on the KIA Amanti, you essentially won't find any. There is no official record of a 'problem' with the Amanti. When the 'fix' was put out, KIA even kept that low key, it was not made public. You would think that if a vehicle had acceleration problems, that might endanger the safety of the vehicle occupants, that it should be a public announcement--nope. :(
    Yes, I would like a copy of the document. Thanks.
    thanks whm1952 YOU HIT IT ON THE NAIL..

I AM STILL EXPERIENCING THE PROBLEM & THE KIA IN THORNTON COLORADO REFUSES TO DO ANYTHING AND THE CAR IS NOW 9 MONTHS OLD BUT I HAD REPORTED IT SINCE MONTH 2.

CAN YOU PLEASE SEND ME ANY INFO RELATED TO THE FIX & ANY DOCUMENTATION YOU MIGHT HAVE REGARDING THIS ISSUE.

I AM NOT EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM right this second, BECAUSE OF THE COLD WEATHER.

I JUST WANT IT FIXED

CONTACT ME AT:
    SANDOVAL_59@Q.COM
    CONTACT ME TOO AMANTI.. YOU HAVE THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM & THE SAME EXPERIENCE WITH THIS TYPE OF DUMB [non-permissible content removed] PEOPLE AT KIA,.. I REALLY WANT TO SUE KIA & ALSO AM VERY INTERESTED IN A CLASS ACTION..

please also report your problem to:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

SANDOVAL_59@Q.COM
    I would need an email address to sent it to.
    sandoval_59@q.com