Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Amanti 2006 and earlier

Comments

• I am having the sam exact problem with my 2004 kia amanti! I have almost had an accident 5 times. I have barely submitted complaint to BBB.. My car has 33k miles & is under warranty.. the kia dealership mechanic said its a common problem with KIA AMANTIs.. he claims it has something to do with the gas overheating.. appapently there is a different mechanism for every other kia except the AMANTI.. he told me that i have to drive with a half tank of gas @ all times in order for "breathing room" for the gas not to overheat. The original sales person told me to only use premium gas which i strictly did, now after 4 months the MECHANIC said for me to put the lowest grade because it has less octaine percent.. either way I should not have to deprive myself or my car of premium gas OR have to drive on a half tank of gas at all times (which is redicilous).

Please let me know what progress & steps you are taking to research & fix this issue.. I spoke to one rep at KIA before I wrote the BBB complaint & she denied any liability & said there is no issue.. I beg you, PLEASE WRITE A COMPLAINT TO THE BBB TO HELP BOTH OUR CASES.. I am a 21 yr old single mother & my child was in the car 3 of the 5 times it has happened it was very scary & dangerous, the dealership is trying to take advantage of my situation even though the car still has full warranty & was purchased 4 months ago. They were notified about the problem 2 months into ownership, but denied any malfunction saying "they had to catch the problem in the act". By pure luck, 3 weeks ago the car did the same thing blocks away from the dealership. They said the cannot fix it but offered me $10k for trade for another car from them when I just paid $16k 4 months ago. This sounds like a classic rip off to me!

anyway do mean to rant away to you, but you & your wife probably have the same frustration that I am going through.. please respond if possible.. thanks

christina sandoval
    sandoval_59@q.com
  • I am having the sam exact problem with my 2004 kia amanti! I have almost had an accident 5 times. I have barely submitted complaint to BBB.. My car has 33k miles & is under warranty.. the kia dealership mechanic said its a common problem with KIA AMANTIs.. he claims it has something to do with the gas overheating.. appapently there is a different mechanism for every other kia except the AMANTI.. he told me that i have to drive with a half tank of gas all times in order for "breathing room" for the gas not to overheat. The original sales person told me to only use premium gas which i strictly did, now after 4 months the MECHANIC said for me to put the lowest grade because it has less octaine percent.. either way I should not have to deprive myself or my car of premium gas OR have to drive on a half tank of gas at all times (which is redicilous).

Please let me know what progress & steps you are taking to research & fix this issue.. I spoke to one rep at KIA before I wrote the BBB complaint & she denied any liability & said there is no issue.. I beg you, PLEASE WRITE A COMPLAINT TO THE BBB TO HELP BOTH OUR CASES.. I am a 21 yr old single mother & my child was in the car 3 of the 5 times it has happened it was very scary & dangerous, the dealership is trying to take advantage of my situation even though the car still has full warranty & was purchased 4 months ago. They were notified about the problem 2 months into ownership, but denied any malfunction saying "they had to catch the problem in the act". By pure luck, 3 weeks ago the car did the same thing blocks away from the dealership. They said the cannot fix it but offered me $10k for trade for another car from them when I just paid $16k 4 months ago. This sounds like a classic rip off to me!

anyway do mean to rant away to you, but you & your wife probably have the same frustration that I am going through.. please respond if possible.. thanks

christina sandoval
    sandoval_59q.com
  • I am having the sam exact problem with my 2004 kia amanti! I have almost had an accident 5 times. I have barely submitted complaint to BBB.. My car has 33k miles & is under warranty.. the kia dealership mechanic said its a common problem with KIA AMANTIs.. he claims it has something to do with the gas overheating.. appapently there is a different mechanism for every other kia except the AMANTI.. he told me that i have to drive with a half tank of gas all times in order for "breathing room" for the gas not to overheat. The original sales person told me to only use premium gas which i strictly did, now after 4 months the MECHANIC said for me to put the lowest grade because it has less octaine percent.. either way I should not have to deprive myself or my car of premium gas OR have to drive on a half tank of gas at all times (which is redicilous).

p.s. KIA corparate rep i spoke with also acted obvilious to the problem! pissed me off.

christina sandoval
    sandoval_59q.com
  • After having the problem occur 3 times within a month it is finally fix - at least it seems to be. I believe they put what they called a new throttle body on it - I don't think it was the sensor?? I don't have the paperwork right handy right now - if I think of it I will dig up the service order and post back. I haven't had any problems since their last fix thank God! It had me worried sick and I still keep looking at the rpms to see if they are jumping around when they shouldn't be but for now all is well :)
  • I recently took my car in because the check engine light was on and one of the rear windows wouldn't go down. The Service Manager told me the Check Engine light was related to the window motor going out & they would replace that (laughing the whole time about what kind of car manufacturer ties the windows to the check engine light!). At the same time, they were also putting in a new throttle body. I have no idea why he put the new throttle in, if there is some sort of known problem now or if it showed up in the computer...regardless, they did it and I am thankful. :shades:
  • I ASKED THEM WHAT THE ERROR CODE WAS ON THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT - THEN I SEARCHED THE CODE ON THE INTERNET AND IT WAS RELATED TO THE THROTTLE. HARD TO BELIEVE WINDOW PROBLEM WOULD BE TIED INTO THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!! LAST TIME I WAS IN FOR MY PROBLEM I TOLD THEM MY FRONT PASSENGER WINDOW WAS MAKING A PINGING NOISE WHEN I PUT IT DOWN (LIKE A RUBBERBAND PING) I TOLD THEM I HOPE THE MOTOR ISN'T GOING - THEY SAID THEY COULDN'T HEAR THE SOUND - THUS THEY DIDN'T CHECK INTO IT. MOTOR BETTER NOT GO BAD!!! THE LOUSY THING FOR ME IS THAT I BOUGHT THE CAR AT A LOCAL KIA DEALER WHO DISCONTINUED THE KIA DEALERSHIP SHORTLY AFTER I BOUGHT THE CAR. I HAVE THINGS THAT NEED TO BE FIXED BUT THE CLOSEST DEALER IS ALMOST AN HOUR AWAY AND WHO CAN TAKE THEIR CAR DOWN AND LEAVE IT TO BE FIXED, GET SOMEONE TO DRIVE ME BACK HOME AND THEN GET SOMEONE TO TAKE ME BACK DOWN WHEN IT'S DONE. I'VE HAD NO BIG PROBLEMS BUT I WANT TO GET RID OF THE CAR JUST DUE TO THE FACT THAT THE CLOSED WARRANTY DEALERSHIP IS SO FAR AWAY.
  • umeweallumeweall Posts: 45
    Per my previous postings, yes, it is definite that a problem has existed, and still exists. The key point being that KIA does want to officially recognize it as a problem. They are dealing with it apparently on a case-by-case basis, blowing people off, who allow themselves to be blown off. The lid will come off if the acceleration issues causes a fatality, and someone sues KIA. Although KIA has refused to officially state that a problem exists, there are enough complaints, covering the issue, to provide evidence in court that a problem has existed.
    It is unfortunate that people have to really press to get attention for the issue, but that goes back to not wanting to recognize the issue. The standard comment seemingly is "we cannot duplicate the problem". As I previously stated in another posting, there is a programming fix for the throttle. I also collected a lot of information at the time, from a variety of sources, as I was prepared to ignite world war III in court. If you would like a copy of this document, provide your email address and I will send it to you. You might also want to check the following site, where you will see others complaining about the issue:

kia-forums.com/kia-amanti-opirus-forum/31557-amanti-acceleration-problems.html
  • please send me all documentation regarding.

you are so correct i finally talked to kia corporate regarding the bbb complaint I just submitted.. they totally deny anything wrong calling it "vapor lock" saying it has to do with the hi octaine & high heat/elevation in my GAS.. i need everything you got thanks!!

sandoval_59@q.com
  • I have a 2005 Amanti with 70,000 miles on it and until recently it's been a great car.
    Every now and again it has a vibration similar to driving over the warning bumps that are on some roads to alert you of upcoming tolls etc.
    The vibration lasts only 2 to 4 seconds and may only occur after driving 20 miles and sometimes 50 miles or whatever.
    I took it into the KIA dealer and they couldn't find a problem and assured me that the suspension etc was OK.
    Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • I am looking at '05 and '07 Amantis and realize that the newer ones have the bigger engine and less weight. My question is whether the '05s can run fine on Regular gas instead of needing Premium all of the time. Here in CA, we have the most expensive gas so Regular saves $.40 to $.50 per gallon.
    Also, have read that adding an ounce of two of straight "acetone" to each fillup will drastically improve the fuel-burn efficiency and the mileage on these cars. Any comments...or is it too dangerous?
    What kind of mileage are you getting on '05s or '07s on Regular/Premium, around town, freeway, combined? Thank you!!
  • I have an 2005 Amanti and I have never used premium fuel, and the dealer did not state that it was needed. My vehicle runs just fine on regular gas, with no power issues, and I life in California. Personally, I do not like the 2007 models, with their
    all black dash/door look. I like the wood grain patterns on the 2005. I also don't like the new tail lights on the 2007, or the change that they made in the coin gray on the console (they shrank it). Of course, my taste is my taste, not someone else's! I did hear that the 2007 engine had a little bit more 'zip' and supposedly
    a little 'growl' to it. That Is fine, but I have needed neither to this point. If you
    are hearing the 'growl', you are putting more pedal to the medal, using more fuel,
    and I am in an economizing mood, not a showing off the public mood. As for
    mileage, I get 26.5 MPG @ 65 MPH, 21 MPG @ 75 MPG, and 30 MPG @ 55 MPG. I have started to do a lot more 65 MPH and 55 MPH, just leaving a little earlier, not being in a big rush. :)
  • I'm getting around 29mpg in my 05 amanti, drove 125.3 miles and only had to put 4.3 gallons in it, round trip to town and home is 125.3 miles (from gas station in town to home and back to gas station) drive 60 to 65mph.
  • I purchased a new 2006 Amanti in late 2007. Speed control problems were experienced;
    - at minimal throttle the car would lurch; never knew when it would move slowly as intended or act like a bucking bronco; it was an ccident looking for a place to happen
    - at other times, the response would be sluggish, much like trying to accelerate with "full choke" in cars of years past
    - there were a couple of other strange responses.

I complained weekly to the salesman and the service manager. When the car went in for it's first scheduled service, the service manager had already found an obscure service memo, which obliquely referenced the problem, but not hitting it straight on, and advised to proceed only if a customer complained repeatedly. Because of my technical background, I suspected that the problem was in the software, because it is "fly by wire" as far as the throttle is concerned and kept hammering that point with the service manager.

The repair comprised of uploading upgraded engine control software and took all of 5 minutes. Since then, no problems and the car is a joy to drive, in fact, it's the best driving car I've owned.

Contrary to the experience of many others as noted on this and other sites, my experience was that the problem was found and diagnosed early on. Kia knows that there is a problem; they have issued a service bulletin (even if it is obscure); they have a fix which works and best of all doesn't really cost them anything!. I don't understand why they seem to keep stonewalling on the issue.

Don't accept any B.S from Kia.
  • amantiamanti Posts: 1
    I have taken my Amanti into the dealers several times telling them It took off when I just touched the pedal and then other times I could hold the gas pedal to the floor and it just barely moved. I would just make it to the side of the road. Another time it had to be towed to the dealers. The light would stay on but it would run ok when restarted so they can never duplicate the problem. Monday it happened again and the dealer tried to say I topped off the gas and it probably had gas in the filter. I explained this is not the first time and I didn't top off the gas. Finally they said it was the TPS sensor and they would have to order a new one. I had to rent a car which Kia will not pay for even though this has been an on going problem which they seem to ignore. I called Kia and got no satisfaction. .I explained about this forum and the dangers people have faced and was wondering why Kia didn't do something about this problem. The man said any thing could be a potential danger in a car but didn't mean they would recall it. He stated they had no other complaints with this problem. He explained they only know about warrantee work that can be diagnosed and since they have never found the correct problem I guess they ignore it. If anyone has heard of a class action against KIA I would be interested in joining it. I won't buy another KIA because of this problem. Otherwise I loved my Amanti and get so many compliments on what a beautiful car. To bad KIA isn't listening.
  • In regards to the acceleration problem with the KIA Amanti, causing lunging, and other acceleration related problems, they know about it.

I believe that their issue is that they do not want to publicly admit that there is a safety problem with their vehicle, as that might expose them to lawsuits. I am sure that folks have had accidents due to this item. It KIA were to state publicly that there was a problem, and issue a recall to correct the problem, they are announcing to the world that their vehicle had an issue. This would not only potentially affect them civil liability wise, but it would affect the illusion of mechanical perfection of the Amanti. If you search for defects on the KIA Amanti, you essentially won't find any. There is no official record of a 'problem' with the Amanti. When the 'fix' was put out, KIA even kept that low key, it was not made public. You would think that if a vehicle had acceleration problems, that might endanger the safety of the vehicle occupants, that it should be a public announcement--nope. :(
  • vanpjvanpj Posts: 14
    Yes, I would like a copy of the document. Thanks.
  • thanks whm1952 YOU HIT IT ON THE NAIL..

I AM STILL EXPERIENCING THE PROBLEM & THE KIA IN THORNTON COLORADO REFUSES TO DO ANYTHING AND THE CAR IS NOW 9 MONTHS OLD BUT I HAD REPORTED IT SINCE MONTH 2.

CAN YOU PLEASE SEND ME ANY INFO RELATED TO THE FIX & ANY DOCUMENTATION YOU MIGHT HAVE REGARDING THIS ISSUE.

I AM NOT EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM right this second, BECAUSE OF THE COLD WEATHER.

I JUST WANT IT FIXED

CONTACT ME AT:
    SANDOVAL_59@Q.COM
  • CONTACT ME TOO AMANTI.. YOU HAVE THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM & THE SAME EXPERIENCE WITH THIS TYPE OF DUMB [non-permissible content removed] PEOPLE AT KIA,.. I REALLY WANT TO SUE KIA & ALSO AM VERY INTERESTED IN A CLASS ACTION..

please also report your problem to:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

SANDOVAL_59@Q.COM
  • I would need an email address to sent it to.
  • sandoval_59@q.com
  • Received. I am sending document.
  • vanpjvanpj Posts: 14
    Sorry about that. E-mail is - jvanpaemel@yahoo.com

Thanks.
  • I am having the same problem up here in Canada. Would someone send me the same info and any other info?
    Thanks
    jmccron@sympatico.ca
  • It is on the way!
  • Document sent
  • are you still having this problem with your car? My car has drained the battery serveral times. each time it shorts out the trip computer. Twice Kia said you repaired and twice thy replaced the trip computer. since the first time the following have also shorted out and had to be replaced: the mirrors, air bag sensor, radio, seat controls, and the heaters for the seats.
    Is anyone else having this kind of problem? :lemon:
  • My wife bought her '06 Amanti new. Her three previous rides were a Lexus ES 300, Cadillac, and Lincoln LS. The Amanti has a much smoother and quieter ride than either the caddy or the lincoln. We have had some minor problems with it, Seat heater, Windshield wiper motor, but the dealership fixed them, no problem. Last week I drove the car and the transmition was clunking when I'd put it in Drive. The wife took it to the dealership to have them check it out, They said they couldn't find a problem. Two days later, the tranny blew. Leaving my wife stranded along side a rural country road until a wrecker could arrive. I was just wondering if anyone else has had tranny problems with this model. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Bchbum
  • are you still having this problem with your car?
    The airbags controls are in the seats. when my light come on and would not go out Kia replaced my frount seat, with out telling me. I just picked up the car and had new seats.
    The airbags, seat, mirror and trip computer control are all conected some how.
    My car has drained the battery serveral times. each time it shorts out the trip computer. Three times Kia said they repaired and three times they replaced the trip computer. since the first time the following have also shorted out and had to be replaced: the mirrors x2, air bag sensor, radio, seat controls, and the heaters for the seats.
    The tech at Kia told me she know the car has a short somewhere but Warranty did not cover fixing a short only replacing the parts that are burnt out.
    Good luch getting your car fixed :lemon:
  • I have a 2005 Amanti - I had only one problem since buying it - unexpected lurches into traffic or not moving at all when I tried to pull out from a stop. After having it towed twice (60 mi to nearest dealer) they finally fixed it. It's funny that you mention the clunking noise - I've been hearing it clunk when I put it into drive or into park - I sure hope my tranny doesn't go. Kia will fix that under warranty won't they???
  • I agree, the Amanti is a very smooth operating car, in the drive, and ride. I previously had a Lincoln Town Car, and currently still have a Buck Park Avenue, with the Amanti is modeled after, in the interior.

I have had no problems with the transmission, and no clunking, however I have a 2005 model.

I will say this, which I would say for any vehicle, get the mechanical warranty, that is offered post KIA warranty (at least it is offered at my dealership), when your normal warranty expires. There are several different levels of coverage available and you need to read them carefully. The car has a lot of electronics in it, which if fails, could be expensive. Not all the plans cover all of the electronics. Yes, they do cost a little bit, but if you plan on keeping the car, could really pay off. Sorry, no I had no stock in an auto insurance company, just my budget! :)