Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Amanti 2006 and earlier

Comments

• I've had my 04 (cobalt/gray) Amanti since April or so. It is the nicest car I have ever owned. Never expected to be able to have a car this nice. It was a new old-stock car.

1) Several other cars which I have owned had the ability to change some of the settings in the computer. The service tech hooks up the shop computer and can change things like
    - does the horn toot or headlights flash when you lock it?
    - tire size compensation
    - lock doors at a certain speed
    - other similar settings.

My service guy claims he has never heard of any car having this capability.

The change I really want is to add Instant Mileage to the trip computer. From the manual it says that North American cars don't have the feature. I think that this would really help to see what moment to moment changes in driving style would have.

2) ebay always has several sets of nearly new OEM take-or wheels and tires. If I go to studs, I would do this so the perfect appearance of the car doesn't"t change.

Michael
  • topgeartopgear Posts: 111
    Very interesting...my '04 does indicate instant MPG. Are you saying that your model does not have this feature?
    -P
  • My 04 does NOT have the instant MPG. In the smaller manual it describes the computer including instant MPG, then down below there is another entire description labeled "North America only" that goes through the entire explanation again, but entirely omitting any mention of instant MPG. (entirely) When I poke the button to cycle through the different functions, instant MPG doesn't appear.

Two different dealers didn't have any idea about this. This is about the only annoyance I have had with the car.

Michael
  • topgeartopgear Posts: 111
    Wow that's interesting about your missing instant MPG. I wonder why that was omitted. To tell you the truth, the average mpg is probably more accurate and useful. I never use the instant as it is too scary to watch (usually low numbers). Although it would have been nice for Kia to leave the feature in for those that want to use it. Anyone else notice this (or lack thereof) feature?
    Just a tidbit -I was told that the very first Amanti's had a black instead of blue computer screen, (perhaps in Korea only?). Anybody with one of those or was that just a rumor?
    -P
  • I know something about that.

In mid May, 2004 my good friend and I bought our 2004 Amantis at the same time so we could negotiate a better deal. We have compared notes on every little detail. Recently his computer screen was not functioning. He, like I and most, if not all of us had a blue screen. We also loved the instant MPG feature. When he brought the car to the dealer, they replaced the screen. Now he has a black screen with white numbers and he has two features missing: the instant MPG and the one that tells the distance traveled since the last fill up. He's not happy, but the dealer said that was the only replacement available. I had my own screen replaced when the car was only a few months old, and I got the blue one with all the same features.
  • Hi, everybody, it's been a week and everything is A-1. I simply love the car.
    My wife was very sceptic aboutleaving an SUV for a car but she now loves all the comfort.
    Even brand new and doing 80%city and 20 HW, i got 17 miles to the gallon (CDN) which is about 22 miles US.
    So far so go.
    I'll be back so more later on.
    Cheers
    Dan
  • billh6billh6 Posts: 123
    I just got home from going to my dealer to have oil changed and tires rotated. I mentioned that someone in this forum said that Wal-Mart Automotive will not change Amantis oil because it requires a special kind of filter, and the after market won't do the job. Also, someone mentioned a whining sound when changing gears. My service tech said that some of these after market filters will cause the engine to have a whining sound, so was wondering if that's where the noise is coming from, and not the transmission. Just curious. Bill - Orlando
  • I wish that it was as simple as an oil filter. I have always had the oil change performed by the dealer. Still have a whine....I am certain that it is the transmission and I am beginning to think that it is a normal sound. I am on my second one and they both had a whine.....just in different gears.

Todd
    Todd: No transmission whine here, but maybe I just do not hear it. A whine would not bother me anyway, but a clunk or rattle would. :D
  • I'm beginning to get a bit annoyed with Kia in general. Sure, dealerships are fine and wonderful places. Sure, there are a LOT of independent mechanics who should be run out of business for incompetence or dishonesty. However, there ARE some mechanics out there who are every bit as skilled and conscientious as the ones employed by Kia. What I'm continuing to find are more and more examples of the "just can't get the parts" phenomenon.

The latest was the air filter. What both Autozone and Wal-Mart told me was that they can't get the air filter for my Amanti. We happened to already have an appointment at the Kia dealership, so we went ahead and had it installed there. The price: $20 for an air filter. Of course, they did tell my wife that it would be installed "at no charge", so that was good (with a $20 air filter). But of course then they stuck a $5 labor charge on the bill, hoping she wouldn't notice, or wouldn't speak up. LOL - they don't know my wife very well!

OK, so now I've learned that Kia doesn't trust any other service shop to be able to do major work (OK), or to change the oil and oil filter (a little odd...), or even to change the air filter (WHAT?!?).

I suppose I should be grateful that Kia still allows me to rotate the tires, put gas in the car all by myself, and clean both the interior and exterior of the car.

Next I'll read somewhere that "washing the car in an unapproved facility voids the anti-corrosion warranty".

I love my Amanti. It is the most wonderful car I've ever owned. But if Kia wants to make sure my next car is a Ford, they're doing all the right things to make it happen... they already have me wishing I still had either my '95 Mercedes or my '95 Chrysler Cirrus.
  • did someone at your Kia dealer's service department tell you that you should get your oil changes, air filter changes and major work there only?

The reason I ask is that your Kia dealer should be the most competent to do the work. They do charge more, though you can find some decent deals if you look hard enough.

It's not always convenient to get all the service work done by your Kia dealer but the understanding has always been that if you do get work done by someone else, keep the receipt! :D

That's it. If someone messes up your Kia's engine, it's not Kia's fault. That's where they have their law departments available. It's just something to think about. You would expect only the best service by your Kia dealer, then. The ones I've had, in Washington state and Missouri, have been great. Helpful, never charging me more than what should be charged, etc.

I'm looking at a 2006 Kia Rio5 hatchback at my local dealer. If I get it I will try to get all work done there because it's within a couple miles of my house and very convenient. I have had work done on my '01 Kia Sportage 4x4 (alternator replacement) before that was done accurately by a gas station's service department in mid-Missouri and everything went just fine.

I just think that your Kia dealer is supposed to know your Kia best. What could really be irritating in this "just in time" parts philosophy that everybody is buying into. Your part may be lost in the "just in time" shuffle. If you know what you want ahead of time it would be smart to let your dealer know way out ahead to circumvent that problem.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

I think you should report your deal to the BBB. I just got my oil and filter at my dealer for $22.95. I just called my parts dept. and Amanti filter for '04 is $6.05. I have no issue with that amount.
    Bill - Orlando
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    "I just think that your Kia dealer is supposed to know your Kia best. What could really be irritating in this "just in time" parts philosophy that everybody is buying into. Your part may be lost in the "just in time" shuffle."

I think all of you guys are missing the point. All of you have purchased a car that is sold in realitvily small numbers, by dealers that are few in number. Do any of you think that any Kia dealer are selling enough of these cars to keep more than a very parts in stock? I don't blame them... it's simply business. But you are not alone. I knew of several people who had Jags (before Ford bought them) that couldn't get parts either. You can get an air & oil filter for a Ford Taurus, Chevy Impala,etc. all over town!
  • I am trying to negotiate a price for a new 2005 amanti demo with 8500 miles. The dealer is only allowing 2000.oo discount plus rebates. Do you think that this is a good deal?
  • should try and order their parts way out ahead of time so that isn't a problem. It is true that if you had a Chevy you would have an easier time getting a part for it. It's just one of those things you have to think about before you make your decision to buy foreign or not. I sure have not regretted my decision to buy my two Kia's.

I agree, you really can't blame Kia for not stocking up on odd types of parts for lower-selling cars. Kia has won my respect for their hard-working style, and great product mix that only gets better each passing year. I was behind Kia back in 1998 when most people were dissing them and putting them in the Daewoo category. I saw the great value in them after getting my '99 Kia Sephia and spending some quality "fun" time in it with some great Yokohama tires on Konig Diva wheels. The car handled so much better and could be pushed into turns at a faster speed. Once the tires and wheels were swapped out the car really handled nicely.

Back to parts ordering here in the U.S. This is an area that Kia is trying to improve upon right now. I read about it several months ago. They are working on a program to get a parts network that is connected to each other throughout the U.S. and getting the technical personnel trained right to handle all of the problems that might come up. I forget the name of it but Kia has a particular name for it and it has begun.

I have been happy with each of my Kia's and would like to trade for my third sometime in the next 2 or 3 months. I have confidence in the Kia brand and they keep improving every year. Just try and find another vehicle that packs so much feature content for lower prices. And I don't trust the Chinese brands coming out soon enough to pull the trigger and actually buy one. Gonna be interesting to follow the car industry the next few years, huh? :D

• chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    "And I don't trust the Chinese brands coming out soon enough to pull the trigger and actually buy one. Gonna be interesting to follow the car industry the next few years, huh?"

I agree. The Chinese will probably follow the Hyundai model. They will produce cars a little below our quality standards the first few model years, get their knees scraped, and then look out. Everyone (GM, Ford, Toyota, even Hyundai & Kia) will have some serious price competition!
  • yep, that's what I'm talking about. The low prices on the Chinese models (of which Chery won't be a name, GM sued to have that name barred from U.S.usage because it sounds too much like Chevy...shows you how clueless either the general buying public is, or GM is, take your pick)may force Hyundai, Kia and Chevy (with their Aveo) to lower their prices to compete.

I don't know about you but I would be interested in a test drive at least of a Chinese car. It's gonna take a good car to beat Kia, IMHO. I looked at Scion for a while but ended up not being as impressed as I thought I was. Kia still has them beat.

• I just read an article by the renowned Sir John Templeton,the fellow is the worlds best stock picker for many wealthy people.His comment in the letter is that he looks for bargain stocks with a lot of promise ,his choice was KIA MOTORS,he states tht it could be the next General motors years down the line.that they produce a very very good line of cars and there attention to details will put them before the public as a wise purchase .By the way ,he also drives a KiA
  • That is odd the Schucks, napa, Fred Meyer, Wal-Mart, and Car Care all have filters for Amanti here in Alaska
  • It appears that KIA does not require that you have your maintenance work done strictly at a dealer service department, giving the owner the option to go to the automotive service of their choice.

In section SEVEN, page THREE, parargrph TWO on the right hand side of the page of the owners manual it states:

"We reccommend that maintenance be performed by an Authorized Kia Dealer using genuine Kia parts.However, maintenance may be performed by any competent automotive repair establishment using automotive parts equivalent to those with which your vehicle or your engine was originally equipped."

Joe