Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus GS 300/GS 430

Comments

• for the new GS suggested that it was "more powerful" it will be interesting in the next couple of weeks, as we see the actual car in Detroit, whether this means more displacement (e.g. 4.7L, etc), or some other tweaks on the current 4.3L engine VVT on both intake/exhausts, BMW-like "valvetronic", etc.....
  • a boost from VVTi-L and Hybrid motors added to supply more power, particularlt to the AWD model.

HOPEFULLY, the V6 will come in with 250HP, the V8/Hybrid around 350.

A week from Tuesday, we'll know.

DrFill
  • hhyghhyg Posts: 2
    Any one knows if there will be manual transmissions available in new gs 300/430. Thanks
  • bugsydbugsyd Posts: 1
    Lexus should clearly make a statement that the 2005 GS is in a class of it's own. While I do not expect them to encroach on the crown jewel, "LS" that is. They cannot allow the RX,ES models to be deemed equal with options and performance of the GS. Keep the GS news coming!
  • smulansmulan Posts: 5
    2006 LEXUS GS pictures are available at www.wieck.com Go to Public and type in Lexus GS. Plenty of Pictures. Looks nice!!!
  • I am a long time reader, first time poster.
    I am a bit disappointed in the new design. I think it resembles a Maxima. I was expecting something more sporty like the various spy pics floating around on the internet. I also think it has a lot of rear overhang like the new Solara, and that makes the wheels look smaller. I do like the look of the front and the interior.

I am not going to write off the car until I see it face to face. There is still plenty of time for it to grow on me.
  • susumususumu Posts: 4
    It doesn't all new to me. Interior is OK but exterior looks good old GS. Nothing's so new about.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I, for one, am impressed. Yes, I do see a bit of Maxima in the C-pillar, however, most cars are starting to take cues from each other anyway. I think this newest iteration of the GS is very agressive looking, and far more visually cohesive than its competitor, the 5-series. I hope that in terms of NVH, handling, efficiency, acceleration, and luxury, that Lexus has seized the opportunity to trounce the once great 5-series. I'm sure others have noted that the previous version of the 5-series was a 10Best winner each year, yet this new version failed to make the cut. Hopefully Lexus will NEVER make the BMW mistake that is i-Drive.

~alpha

PS- I have not yet had a chance to read very much; is the new 245 hp 3.0 V6 a clean slate design? Or is it derived from an existing architecture? Also, good to see the GS is going from "VSC" to the less intrusive "VDM" (essentially VSC with enhanced capabilities).
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    I like it. The side reminds me of my G35. 250HP from a 3.0!?! Wow! :)
  • bretaabretaa Posts: 130
    Unlike some other models, I'll reserve judgement on this one until I see it on the road. It reminds me of the new BMW's in that my opinions on the looks vary dramatically from photo to photo to seeing the metal on the road (I thought the 5-series was disappointing in photos, but all the ones I've seeen on the roads have knocked my socks off).

The design certainly is more aggressive than the Lexus usual. I'm unhappy with the heavy rear end look which seems even more prominent than on the previous models. The cam-back (?) type of look. I personally prefer more of a standard sedan, but I can't deny that it looks like it's going about 100mph standing still.

Bret
  • All I see is Maxima!

Where's the stick?

Where's the improvements to the V8?

Why doesn't the V8 have AWD?

What happened to the LF-S styling?

Why did it take EIGHT model years to come up with this?

Why should Mercedes and BMW be worried?

Why should I buy a 2006 (in 2005) over the current car? For 20 V6 HP?

This REEKS!!!

DrFill (DIP)
  • cfgrosscfgross Posts: 54
    Very ugly! What a huge disappointment. I had expected to give it serious consideration when the lease on my '03 Jaguar S-Type is up (7/05), but if it looks even half as bad in person as it does in the photos there's not a snowball's chance that I'll even be interested enough to test drive it.

What were those Lexus designers smoking when they came up with this dog?

Craig
    who do not like it, is not to buy one. If you're going to argue merits, thats a different story. But dont show up and [non-permissible content removed], when the car is many moons away from release.

Why should Mercedes and BMW be worried? Read the last 45K sedan comparo in Car and Driver, and read the January Car and Driver for the review of the new 5 series. Nobody on this board can speak to the improvements to engine, transmission, and suspension until AT LEAST the press has driven the car... if not until we all have...

Where is it stated that the V8 will not have AWD? Is that confirmed? That is not something I was aware of......

If this car is competitively priced, I see no reason why it can't be a very strong entry. Ya'll need to relax. If the iDrive BMW tickles your fancy, then protest Lexus by buying that hideous thing.

~alpha
  • WHAT improvements to the V8?

Have you been to the Edmunds Auto Show section?
      There it states the V6 gets the AWD! The V8 is clearly seperated!

It's competitively priced NOW! What's the point if the car isn't significantly better?

Is is a sports sedan? Where's the stick? The A6 and 5 have one?

Is it gonna take sales from the E? Where is the heritage? The style (gone)?

What kind of buyer do they target?

Why should I get this over a 2004?

This is the darkest day in Lexus history!

DrFill (DIP)
  • bluestar1bluestar1 Posts: 112
    Calm down mi amigo....

Like alpha01 wrote, quite eloquently, I must say, this redo is months away from reality. Production doesn't begin until fall of '04, and we won't see it in the showrooms until early to mid 2005. Plenty could change b/w now and then. Lexus is being deliberately coy about the V8 engine. They do not want to trump their class leader, the LS, by announcing a bigger engine/option engine for the V8, or including the AWD on the V8. I am sure we'll hear more as days/weeks/months go by. As to the stick, me hope they do provide a stick option in the V8 if they are to be competitive. One can only hope ! IMO, the GS4 needs no less than 340bhp, and mated to a 6-speed stick, should do the low low 5s 0-60, and the mid 5s with the slush box 6-speed. That is what I am expecting the commercial version to be.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    It's amazing the level of denial in here, they've already shown the finished car, but yet there are some saying to wait and see if they change it before next year. Oh, such wishful thinking. I didn't know a dissapointment could produce such a detachment from reality. The reality of it is that except for some possible engine changes for the V8 model, the styling is a done deal. Period. I seriously doubt the GS430 or whatever it's called will have a manual trans either, it won't be popular enough to make sense in a Lexus showroom.

Oh well so much for the so-called daring design of the show car, and Lexus' hopes of bringing a new (good looking) styling theme to the table. Good look if the next generation LS follows this look.

M
  • Can someone point me in the direction of where I can find the pics of the interior?
    I have to disagree with most on the board.
    Overall, I feel it's a pretty strong styling statement. The current GS looks old after almost 8 years on the market. ANd unlike the current GS, this one has a nice flowing shape. When I first saw the pics of the new GS, I did see a bit of Maxima in the rear but I see alot more 1st and 2nd generation big rump in it. I feel this is the best Lexus design since the original SC. I think the styling looks clean, uncluttered and muscular. There are really only 2 things I would change on the design, get rid of the chrome ring around the headlights and make the rear tailights a bit more unique in design. Even more important than the exterior I feel is the interior and here the GS hits a home-run.

I don't think Lexus ever said they were going to offer a manual and I don't think they need to to go after the 5-series. How many 5-series are sold with stick's anyway? I would guess around 5%.

With the exception of the design, which I think they shouldn't change anyway, I think alot of new features will get added. I think they haven't said everything it will have as new because it is still about a year away from production. That gives them alot of time to perfect features they may be working on.
  • oac3oac3 Posts: 373
    Well spoken, and I agree with you 100%. I am no fan of the GS, but I really don't see what all the fuss is about ? Maybe Lexophiles had a HUGE (maybe unrealistic) expectation of the new GS based on the speculations from the LF-S concept and autospies, that when they saw the actual release, they went ballistic ! C'mon guys, it's just a car ! BTW, IMO, the car looks quite related to the LF-S than to a Maxima or whatever else others are calling it. The only part I'd change slightly is the look of the grille, maybe give it some *teeth*, and more aggresive look.

Looks like Merc1 wants to gloat on a perceived Lexus failure with this release. Pls note that new evolutionary designs are pretty difficult these days. Many autos will have a mixture of their peers in their designs. That's just going to be the fact. Everyone knows that Nissan had been copying Lexus in its new releases - Altima and Maxima favoring the 1st and 2nd gen GS looks. So no biggie if their is a little Maxima in the new GS. But the new GS is a whole lot better looking than the Max, IMO.
  • I hope this is just a "test balloon", but I doubt it.

The design is the same, but the styling has gone horribly wrong! Lexus put a heavy emphasis on the great new style of this car, so if they overpromise and under-deliver, it will be a first time.

They call it a sports sedan. Why?

DrFill
    there is only mention of AWD availability, and it is not specified as to which engine this pertains. You know, Edmunds might just be wrong, Heaven knows its happened in the past.

I'm not in denial, thats absurd. I'm just saying, you really cant write the car off as NOT A SPORTS SEDAN or whatever, prior to it ever being driven by ANYONE.

20% of 5 series have manual transmissions? Prove it. Also, please find the percentage of MB E class which have manuals. OH WAIT: ZERO.

IMO, BMW left the door open, and if this car drives as interestingly as it looks, Lexus is going to walk right through. But again, only time will tell.

~alpha
    Toyota said Lexus would have it's own look, they didn't promise you that you would love the way it looks. Let's face it styling is subjective.

On what they promised I think they delivered. You can't mistake the front end for any other car and the side profile doesn't look like another car and frankly neither does the rear, except for the 1st and 2nd generation GS. I think it's a unique design and a good looking one at that.

As oac3 said, I think, people expected it to look just like the LF-S showcar. But let's face, that had totally unrealistic proportions! But I do think the production GS carries similarities. I see the front end resemblance, and the side resemblance.
  • tomjavatomjava Posts: 136
    I like the new GS design. The rear is similar to the first generation GS. Overall, it's a very nice design.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    I agree that the new GS looks good, sporty in fact. DrFill is completely wrong, but that's his opinion! Toyota said Lexus should have its looks, just like GM did to Cadillac .. and hey! It worked! :)
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    That second paragraph of yours sure is loaded with excuses. No problem if there is a little Maxima in the new GS??? Err...what? For 40-55K I don't want to be reminded of a Maxima. Let me be clear, I don't think the car will be a "failure" I just don't think it will sell much better than the old car especially after the first model year. Lexus showed a flashy and sleek concept, and touted that it was their new design direction and then produced this thing? Only most devoted of the brand can see any similarities between the LF-S showcar and this thing. Amazing, the Europeans can take a design from concept to production with very few alterations or at least still looking at least *similar* to the concept, but the perfect Lexus can't and isn't expected to be able to do the same. Excuses, excuses.

"Pls note that new evolutionary designs are pretty difficult these days."

Wrong, it's revolutionary designs that are "difficult" to do and even more difficult for the public to accept, not evolutionary, which really means and update of the previous, which is what Lexus did...warm over the previous car with a unsightly thickish rear end section, nothing like the very lithe and airy concept car.

M
  • ncg1ncg1 Posts: 2
    it will take a while to warm-up to. Need to see it on the road and in different colors. Love the front end, evolution of the base GS DNA not revolution. The rear doesn't thrill me, but its not that bad. Love the interior. It will be a hit, but won't conquer the 5-series
  • mariner7mariner7 Posts: 509
    They've toned it down, haven't they? I remember the front wheel arches at Tokyo were much more pronounced. If so, I think it's a mistake! If someone would post the Tokyo and Detroit pics together, that'd help!