Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus GS 300/GS 430

Comments

• cove148cove148 Posts: 117
    Check the spec's on the new avalon. Only 2/10" shorter than LS. With all the bells and whistles of the LS. Understand it will be a new platform and not share the Camry's. It looks like it will compete with the LS more than the ES. I think it will be priced higher than the ES.
    Think Toyota wants to have it's leader in the Luxury field and not depend upon Lexus to fill this market segment alone.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    The next generation Avalon is on the current generation Camry platform. The outgoing Avalon model is on the old (92-01) Camry platform. So its a new platform for the Avalon, but its still shared with the Camry.

~alpha
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    I highly doubt it'll be cross-shopped with the LS much. The LS is $25,000 more expensive, more luxurious, V8, more features, etc. Interior room is not the sole determinant of a car's class.
  • boomsamaboomsama Posts: 362
    Don't forget the LS is also RWD and the Avalon is FWD.

Apparently the GS430 will only be $2000USD more than the GS300 in australia. Would it be worth going for the GS430?
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    short answer: yes. long answer: yes.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Posts: 326
    How do you know the price difference between the forthcoming GS300 and 430 will be only $2,000? On the current models it's nearly $9,000.
    boomsama is from Australia. Apparently the GS300 must cost a lot more there.
  • boomsamaboomsama Posts: 362
    Well this isn't a officially released price, but a estimated price by a respected Australian Motor website. The GS430 will probably be a bargain in Australia compared to the other european V8 marques.
    325 vs. 228ft.lbs of torque. You can figure that much twist will shave at least 1.5sec off the 0-60 from GS300 to GS430.
  • rwoodsrwoods Posts: 129
    My Lexus GS430 is not floaty or numb. It is precise, elegant, comfortable, wickedly quick and understated. And $10,000 less than comparable A6, MB or BMWs. The fact that there aren't many on the road only adds to the allure for me. (Oh and reliable)
    I didnt mean that the GS430 is a numb, floaty car. Its no Buick Regal. But compared to say a 540iA with sport package...
  • sortersorter Posts: 146
    Car down 21% this month?
    Back to the GS, I think if price is to compared with BMW 530, GS300 will be much cheaper with option considered.
    I noticed that as well. Since E is down a bit as well, I think most of those sales went to A6 and RL.
  • sortersorter Posts: 146
    I can't find breakdown into 3, 5 and 7. Of course, a breakdown of IS and GS will be even more depressing. all the better news are in SUVs.

European automakers posted mixed results. Solid C-Class volumes helped Mercedes join Land Rover, Volvo and Mini in beating their 2003 results, but sales slumped for the BMW brand, as well as for Audi, Porsche, Jaguar and Volkswagen. BMW car sales were down 29% and the 7-Series failed to reach even half of its November 2003 volume.

Luxury vehicles claimed over 12% of all light vehicle sales in November, their largest share this year. Lexus now has a solid lead in the segment, followed by BMW.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Actually, Lexus's flagship (LS430) is having one of its best years in recent memory. The fairly substantial though not major upgrades to the vehicle for 2004 seem to have paid off nicely for Toyota. The ES330 is also still selling strong, entering its 4th year.

So its not all SUVs, although they indeed did well for Lexus in Nov. I'd expect to see a bit of an increase this year for the GX470, given that it now has enough power and torque to compete with the stronger entries in the class.

~alpha
  • I currently drive an Acura MDX, but want to switch to a car. I thought I was going to go for an Acura RL, but was extremely disappointed in its interier room coupled with a price north of $50,000. I saw the GS430 at auto show and thought vehicle was stunning. The GS430 was on a turntable with doors closed so I couldn't sit in it. It is visually bigger than 04 model and I was told that cabin would be roomier. 04 is a little too small (3 kids). Does anyone know about interier dimensions vs. 04 model. How will it compare to Infinity new M model in size? Anything else I should look at in mid-40's range?
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    sorter,

Here's a link to BMW's Nov-04 Sales Numbers press release:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=wardsauto.story&STORY=/www/story/12-01-2004/0002557916&EDATE=WED+Dec+01+2004,+01:26+PM

It's best to look at the NOv-04 BMW numbers with grain of salt. Why? The 3-series is due for a redesign, therefore production is probably winding down and sales are slowing because alot of people would rather wait for the new one.
    The 7-series is also due for a nip & tuck for 2005, so sales could be slow due to production change. The Z4 tanking is kinda strange though, it's only in it's second year but sales could be taking a hit because of the new SLK350, which is much improved over the old SLK.

YTD BMW *Car* sales are only down 7%. Not too bad considering the redesigns coming.
    The new GS is definitely bigger than the old car. I forget the exact dimensions, but I know its got several inches of legroom over RL. Another car to look at would be Infiniti's new M35, which will price very similarly to GS. Those are my two top picks in this radically expanding segment.
  • gbeergbeer Posts: 5
    Whats' the latest update as to the availability of the '06 GS?
    My '01 GS300 lease is up in Feb and I'd like to start making plans.
    There's no exact launch date yet, but I think the current target is roughly around april or so, possibly may.