Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus GS 300/GS 430

Comments

• rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    I've got the standard audio system in my LS430 and the ML in my LX470. The ML doesn't sound any better to me.
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    Well, if that's the case, what's the point of the ML then, especially if you don't have any 5.1 DVD-audio discs.
  • danldanl Posts: 6
    Drove a new GS300 today, I really wanted to like the car but did not have the same enthusiasm as when I first saw a 1998 GS. compared to my 2002 GS the interior and options are quite nice but it feels somewhat cramped inside. Driver,s seat sits lower so thigh support and comfort is not as good. Tires are wider now so rwd model will be even worse in winter, that is my only complaint about my current GS. Looks like I,m going to pass on this one, and I really wanted to buy just not enthused enough.
  • danl,

What a coincidence.... I also drove a new 2006 GS300 today. This is one nice automobile!

Will have to agree with you that the interior seems a little cramped. Also found the seats to be quite firm with little thigh support. Was a bit disappointed in that area.

Drivability was very good and the new V6 engine and 6-speed tranny work well together. The suspension is set up on the firm side which I prefer. Trunk size is limited.... even smaller than my wife's '98 ES300.

It is obvious that Lexus is seriously going after the 530i and E320 market with the new GS300.

Martin T.
  • ckelly14ckelly14 Posts: 105
    THe ML stereo will be available with the RWD GS300, but will be packaged with the Nav system. I believe this is a 4K option.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Posts: 326
    Surprised that Lexus is going on the cheap with its tire pressure monitor. The RL and I believe the M35/45, as well as other cars, have a dashboard readout giving the exact pressure in each tire.

Lexus has gone with just a warning system, advising driver when a tire has low pressure, but without providing visual pressure reading for each tire.

Also, what's with their XM radio antenna? Instead of the shark fin on the roof, apparently they are just fastening some kind of black box to the trunk lid. Looks weird and tacky.
  • Surprisingly to me it looked like an Audi a6
  • kmg68kmg68 Posts: 108
    Any idea when Edmund's will have invoice pricing for the new GS?
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Posts: 692
    Invoice pricing? Probably when the car is officially "introduced": March 1.
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    As a Lexus-ophile, I had to check out the GS300 and its newest competitor, the M35. You can read my findings in the link below:

oac, "Luxury Performance Sedans" #801, 19 Feb 2005 9:18 pm
  • boomsamaboomsama Posts: 362
    Since many people have sat in the GS already, and since it has yet to reach Australia yet (well where I live anyway), how does the interior space compare to a camry? or a volvo S60?
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Bigger, and a lot bigger. The S60 is teeny tiny.
  • kfhmailkfhmail Posts: 199
    Do the headrest for the rear seats fold back/down out of the way when no one is in the back seat?

The Acura RL has this feature and it really improves visibility through the rear window/rear view mirror.
  • I saw both of them today. While my wife is not a car fanatic like me, when she saw the Lexus GS she flipped upon first impression. I did like the outside, like I said, looks more like an Audi crossover to me, and much better than its pictures on the website. However, the interior was about the same as its predecessor. And that little mini spoiler on the deck-lid cheapened it.
    Of course the GS430 had the nicer alloys which finished it off.

The M35 - When we pulled into the lot, she said, surely you're kidding; this looks about as good as a Camry. But to me, when I opened the door, I was home. The M35 interior beat the Lexus hands down. This one had a black interior piqued in gray. Simply elegant. The outside is somewhat unassuming, but with the upgraded alloys (i'm a wheels man), makes all the difference. The silver V8 I saw was sold but the car can't pick it up till March 1.

The perfect combination would be the Lexus exterior, with the M35 interior.

On another note: Have you guys noticed how blank overall these next generation Japanese cars look. The RL, GS (albeit sleeker) and the M35 seem to just blend in with the rest of the pack. The RL looks about as nice as the old generation to me. As far as sheer innovation and bling go, I think the BMW 5 series - love it or hate it, and the TL are far more attractive, with the head turning appeal.

My 97 LS400 and my 95 Volvo 960 look just about as good as the new stuff rolling out, relative to the dollars you have to shell out.

I'll probably get one of these rockets in a few years once they make it to the used market, but they don't move me enough to part with $60K present day.
  • Maybe your commentary would be more positive with the "future" GS350.

Maybe the GS430 would be a better match for the M35/45?

I'm know it is prettier than the M.

The interior is very safe, even more so than the last GS (I like green gauges).

Comparing the 280HP M to the 245HP GS maybe unfair at this point, as far as driving impressions go.

The Infiniti seems to have do better inside, Lexus better outside.

DrFill
    I like the styling of both cars. If the 5 series is an example of how to "do" styling, then please Infiniti and Lexus, continue to NOT do it. The one that continues to dissapoint me is RL. Priced 5 grand less or weighing 500lbs less it could've been the value king, much the way that the TL and the rest of Acura's products, except the NSX, are. If the car weighed 5 or 600 lbs less it could've at least knocked on the door of the V8 club, instead of being a barely average V6 in terms of performance.
  • I'd need more torque, or more interior room.

I like the 5-series styling, compared to what's out there. The E and 5 are the best styled cars out in this class.

HATE the head and taillights on the M.

DrFill
  • I think that the M doesn't look nearly as good as the Lexus, and I would pick exterior over interior any day. It's what people are seeing me in, and the M just doesn't look right, especially in the back. To be fair, though, the GS is a little big looking.
  • pearlpearl Posts: 336
    I had a chance to sit in and drive both the M and the GS today (M35 and GS300). Both are very nice cars, but are clearly different from each other. To me, the GS was more of a cruiser while the M was more of a sports sedan. Re styling: in my opinion the GS is better both inside and out (but styling is subjective). The GS was quieter to drive too. The M has notably more room inside, especially head room. I did not like the instrument cluster in the GS: fairly big analog clock, bigger speedo in the middle, and small tach on the right - lighting of the instruments was excellent. Trunk space about a wash, but neither has a fold-down rear seat option which is too bad in my opinion. Driving: the M blows the GS away in power and also handles better, but feels heavier and both suffer from overly light steering. Gas mileage (EPA sticker) was 18/25 for the M and 22/30 for the GS. I found it interesting that the GS had a sticker on the window re the tires - something to the effect that the tires are "high performance" and may not last past 20K miles. That was interesting to me, since I have a 97 BMW 528 with Michelin "Energy" tires (225X60X15) which have been replaced twice after about 45K miles each time, and this new GS couldn't touch the handling of my old bimmer, "performance tires" or not. Price for nav equipped versions of these cars favors the M by about 4K. For anyone in the market for this type of car, I don't think you could go wrong with either. While I think that after today's drives I might favor the M a little more, each has its own virtues and individuals will weigh various things differently. If the GS had shown up with a 3.5L engine and a little firmer suspension (at least as an option), I think it would have "won" today's comparison.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,597
    All I can do is agree with previous poster's impressions of the car. What stood out to me was the quietness of the cabin, the buttery soft leather seats and the lack of both headroom (especially in the back seat) and trunk room. Having owned the previous genre(2000) GS300, I found the interior of the new one evolutionary not revolutionary. The quality of the vinyl on the 06's dash and the top of the door panels seemed surprisingly cheap and inferior. The car felt sluggish compared to the '06 M35 and especially for this highly competitive $50K pricepoint. The outside of the car was nicer than expected and than my first impression at a Dec. autoshow. Overall, a nice car, although somewhat lacking.
    If the GS had shown up with a 3.5L engine and a little firmer suspension (at least as an option), I think it would have "won" today's comparison

Absolutely agree with you. Why-o-why did Lexus not bring the GS350 here this year ? They may well rue that day they decided the US market deserves a 3L motor while Japan gets the 3.5L motor!
    Ironically, the new GS is bigger on the outside but smaller on the inside. To wit:

Length increases marginally from 189.2 to 190, and width grows from 70.9 to 71.7. Meanwhile front shoulder room shrinks from 57.7 to 56.3. Likewise for rear shoulder room.

And the trunk shrinks from 14.8 cu. ft. to 12.7.

What are they thinking? Why are they doing this?
  • Call me old fashioned but I like the feel of roominess in a car, and especially like a functional trunk for golf and travel. But many mfrs. are reducing the trunk size. As examples off the top my head, the RL, STS, GS, Avalon, etc. have all lost 1.5-3 cu ft.

Much to my chagrin car mfrs are going back to form over function with the chopped back end look.
    Maybe your commentary would be more positive with the "future" GS350

Maybe. But there ain't no GS350 here to test.

Maybe the GS430 would be a better match for the M35/45?

I could not get a GS430 tester. The dealership told me they will be scarce to find, and may not be provided as a tester. But I would love to run the M45 against the GS430. That should be a closer match, I agree.

Comparing the 280HP M to the 245HP GS maybe unfair at this point, as far as driving impressions go

But I can only test what are put out. If Lexus does want to compete against the M, they better get the 350 over here quick, otherwise its lights out, goodnight GS.

Lexus need to play the HP game; that's what the market demands today, and the earlier they recognize that the better for us fans. I certainly wasn't happy to see my favorite company not step up with a competitive car in the GS300. Sure there are a lot of great things about the new GS, but Lexus skimped where it matters most - sportiness, and speed. The 6.8s for the GS300 is nothing to stand against the 6.3s for the M35, plus the M has a Sport package, while the GS has NO sport package. What gives ?

The mild upgrade in MY2007 should make things more interesting. On a good note, two GS300 were SOLD between the time I took the tester out and came back. Both retailed well over $50K. So they may sell these cars but for all the noise made by Denny Clements, methinks the car falls short of the mark.
    The SC300, the original '93 GS and the '98 version all did well originally. The test isnt if Lexus can sell any GS300s one month after it came out, its how many can they continue to sell in 2008 and beyond.
  • I think this is in the Lexus plan, to hold that round in the chamber until after the initial sales burst wears off.

They want to have something to offer in a facelift for 2007, I guess.

They'd be smart to offer a sports pkg. as well.

The word from the company is they want to sell more V8 GS, so I don't see why it's so hard to find them when people want to see them?

Seems like same old, same old to me. Very curious behavior from Lexus.

DrFill
  • Drove the '06 GS300 this weekend. Loved the drive and feel. I found the interior impressive-except for the puzzling gap in front of the console glove compartment (what’s that all about?). It has great gauges and comfortable seats, which gave me an impression of both sport and luxury. Unfortunately, the sport impression was shattered when I stepped on the gas pedal. But fortunately, I'll be draining my bank account later, rather than sooner when Lexus (hopefully) addresses this issue.....guess I'm spoiled by my wife's '05 Maxima.
  • I Have Test Driven All of the following: GS300AWD, A6, RL, STS, M-35AWD. The problem that I have noticed with the GS is that the driver's footwell is small, and there is a bump in the floor on the side of the transmission housing, that rubs up aganist my calf when you hit the gas pedal, has anyone else noticed this? I have deposits down on both the m-35 & the gs300, and I'm favoring the m-35 because of this tranmission bump. any comments?
    After test driving the GS300, I doubt those acceleration figures from Lexus. Doesn't feel that fast at all (unless the traditional Lexus silence is masking the acceleration).