Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus GS 300/GS 430

Comments

• Both the rear and the front/side cameras are great! So far we feel the Nav is quite intuitive and we have no significant issues with it. Must add, however, we thought the NAVs in the RS and the M were probably even better than in the GS. Each of those had more "voice" innovations. Also, we are still struggling with the BlueTooth connects with our cell. Our sales rep at Lexus has told us she'll set-up fully the phone at our convenience when we come back to the dealership. Have no reason to believe she won't be able to help us through to fruition.

Re the interior finish/color, we really like it. Although it's less "warm" than the tan/brown combination in our '03, we prefer the slightly more "severe" black/gray in this one. It wears well, too. Our Mercedes 32 AMG has a similar color combo and we've enjoyed it for 3 years without getting bored or tired of it in any way. Absolutely LOVE the Black, Bird's-Eye, Maple Wood trim. It's just great with the Ash seats and the black dash/console. A smashing combination!
  • txagy1txagy1 Posts: 4
    Who did you work with at Bell Lexus to give you $4K off retail?

Thanks
  • I originally posted the saleman's name at Bell Lexus, but host of Edmunds emailed me that I could not put up a salesmans name...but make the offer...dont listen to any sales talk, make the offer..wait a few days..
  • anthonymanthonym Posts: 7
    I am also deciding between the 2006 330i and the 2006 gs300. The cost of the 330i with options I want will be $40,000+ and the gs300 will run around $45,000 with a higher mark up. I am test driving the gs300 next week. No need to test drive the BMW since I already own a 1999 323i. It boils down to a larger, more luxurious and reliable car vs. the "ultimate driving machine".
  • jfd1jfd1 Posts: 3
    Hey, thanks jhamilton1. I've had the AWD for over a week now and averaged over 27 MPG on a 250 mile round trip (highway). The only other (minor) problem is that you can't program the exterior rear view mirrors to fold in when stopping the car (which you CAN do in the RX, GX). You have to do it manually.
  • WOW! Outstanding MPG. We haven't been able to do any lengthy trips in ours due to some remodeling going on in our home. If you're getting that in the AWD my guess is the lighter weight RWD might do even better.

Re the mirrors, why would you want them folded when stopping? Just curious. In reading the manual about that feature I thought to myself, "Now that's something we'll never use."

Congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy!
  • rtcagertcage Posts: 9
    I did the same thing when I was shopping for my 1998 GS 300. Bought the GS, and I'm not going back to BMW. Owning a Lexus is a much better experience, and I can say this after owning two BMW's and a Mercedes.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Posts: 692
    rtcage:

Can you elaborate? I'm deciding between the GS300 and the new 330i. I'm disappointed that Lexus didn't put the 3.5L engine in this year and wondering what effect that might have on resale in the future. Plus it is underpowered compared to the competiton, as has been repeated time and again on this board.

Yet, to me, silence is golden, and there's no silence like a Lexus. The BMW is tempting, because of sheer driving pleasure, but repairs down the line are concerns, plus it lacks the creature comforts that I crave at this advanced age. What were your thoughts--and your experience with your BMWs?
  • Oh give us a break. The M has won 1 comparison and still has TONS to prove. The GS is a proven winner in the segment. If you get that excited by the M, stay away from a can of coke.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Actually the M has won several comparisons by several magazines in both M35 and M45 forms. The USA Today guy cant stop talking about it, and was thoroughly underwhelmed by the GS. C&D also was underwhelmed. "Hold the passion".
  • idoc1idoc1 Posts: 2
    Had it about a week. First tank of gas.......no highway driving. Driving it harder than I should....20.9. Absolutely love the car.........Rich
  • mariner7mariner7 Posts: 509
    Motor Trend has M45 vs GS430 comparo, agrees almost completely with USA Today guy, but with much harsher tone toward GS. Here are a few examples:

"The amount of electronic meddling is astonishing..."
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    "The M is the gold standard in the industry for interior design at this point in time."

I completely disagree. In my opinion the GS interior is far nicer than the M's and has a much better layout. The M's orange lighting in particular has got to go. And don't get me started on the tacky "Infiniti" embroidered in the seats. You may like the M interior and that may be your opinion, but you can't say it is the industry standard. Not only is the Lexus interior nicer, but so is the Audi A6.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,569
    "....you may like the M interior and that may be your opinion...."

Just as your post represents your opinion.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    I was going to say the exact same thing, but decided to let it go.
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    Thanks. What were low and high points of each vehicle? How were they equipped? What were some of the test data (0-60, 1/4 mile, etc.)?
  • rtcagertcage Posts: 9
    Certainly:

1. Where I live, BMW's and Mercedes are as common as Chevy's. Therefore the dealerships are overcrowded and the service is flat out poor.

The Lexus dealer and their service is spectacular.

2. I had far too many problems with BMW and Mercedes.

Not a single issue in over four years with my Lexus. The car still looks and runs like it did when I first bought it.

3. The BMW drive is definitely "fun," but driving in my Lexus an hour-and-a-half a day is the most pleasant driving I've experienced. It's quiet, so there are no issues with the fatigue associated with road noise. The quiet cabin is also a perfect place to listen to the Levinson sound system which is hard to beat, even after spending thousands on custom stereo work.

4. I just changed brakes for the first time in 50k miles. Now that BMW pays for brakes (at least they were a couple of years ago) this may not be an issue, but when I had my cars I was paying a pretty penny far too often for brakes.

5. In 1998, getting BMW or Mercedes to deal was impossible. I'm not sure what it's like now, but for me these two brands are far from deserving a price premium any more.
  • mariner7mariner7 Posts: 509
    I don't have the MT issue with me. Let's me summarize:

1. GS brakes are some hi tech electronic thing, but are too grabby, can't be well modulated, takes a full car length longer to stop than M from 60 mph.

2. MT feels that GS stability constrols don't let you play with the car, unlike M. This is also the point made by James Healey of usatoday. I think the quote is 'somewhere deep inside GS lies a great car.' That's the quote from a GS only article, just prior to the comparo.

3. Despite being 160 lbs heavier, M outaccelerates GS at every distance, is faster in slalom, but only fractionally. I'm surprised that future 4.6L of GS only makes 315 hp, still 20 shy of M's 4.5.

4. MT says that in every driving category (body control, brakes, steering) M outshines GS. They also note M feels smaller, eventhough it's actually bigger than GS.

I hope they do a M45 vs 545i, that'll be for the champion of the luxury world.
  • mccoskeymccoskey Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have looked at the Infiniti M35 & M45, test drove them, etc. I also have looked at the Lexus GS300 and test drove it also. In the New Orleans area all 3 of these models are doing very well and the dealerships I have visited have a hard time showing me certain models as they can't keep them in the showroom. I called my salesman at the Infiniti dealer today and he told me he just got a Black M35 with the Nav pak etc. and it sold within minutes of getting off the truck. I also called my salesman at the Lexus dealer today and he reported that the two GS300's I test drove were both sold and that was within the last 2 weeks. One of the cars the owner of the dealership was driving and it was a GS300 starter so to speak. I hope I answered your questions.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Posts: 692
    rt: Appreciated your comments on the GS and BMW. A nephew has an '03 GS300, with less power than the '06, but loves it. Black with darkened windows. Approaching, it looks very impressive, even menacing in a harmless way. Lexus original motto for the car was: "Something wicked this way comes." Definitely.

Driving a BMW is obviously fun, but being a passenger isn't anything special. Rode in the back seat of my brother's 325i last week on a 2-hour drive, and it was noisy, bouncy, and unexceptional. Blindfolded, you'd never know you were riding in a BMW. Could have been a Mazda or other small Japanese car.