Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MX-Flexa / Mazda5

libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
edited March 18 in Mazda
I hope the new MPV keeps its current features and adds AWD, more wood trim, power liftgate, and forward and backward moving second row seats. Oh, and more room than the new Sienna, Odyssey, and Grand Caravan/T&C. The MPV for 2004 is my second favorite minivan after the new Sienna. It has so many of the features I need, but the Sienna has them ALL. Every little one.

Comments

• ajacat1ajacat1 Posts: 87
    The thing that's at the mazda site? Is that what is going to be the new minivan? On one of the MPV boards someone said that the redesign won't be named MPV anymore.

(Oh, and what's different for 2004 with the MPV? Thanks in advance--we may buy an older one if there's not that much difference)
  • libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
    Would you buy a 2003? Or are you looking at used ones? I think wood trim was only available 2000-2002 and that is necessary for me. I hope the replacement has wood trim and more than the 2000-2002s had. I better run over to Mazda to look at the Washu. It won't be called that in the U.S. It might have a different name than the MPV, I'm not sure. If you can afford an '04 Sienna, spring for that, but if you think the MPV has enough room and features for you, definitely grab one below sticker price. I reccomend the ES model with leather, wood trim, and the 6-disc cd changer. Please post about what you decide to do and i would LOVE to answer any furthur questions of yours and advise you furthur.
    Looked at the Washu. It would look a LOT different in production and the new MPV will be a seven or eight seater not a six like the Washu. The styling inside and out is extravagant. It would have normal seats, styling, etc. But that could be the base for the next MPV.
  • 91mx591mx5 Posts: 3
    I just spent the last couple of weeks looking at and driving '00-'02 MPV's and finally decided to go for an '03. There is a big difference between the 2.5L/4 speed a/t and the 3.0L/5 speed a/t. I bought a loaded LX at invoice with the $2000 rebate. Great deal I couldn't pass up. I thought about the ES but couldn't see spending $2500 more for leather, power seat, stereo and 17" wheels. Drives great and has a quiet ride. Looked at the '04 Sienna but to get it equipped like my MPV it would have been about $5k more. I couldn't be happier with my choice. Also the ES does not come with wood grain...it has carbon fibre (which I hate).
    Also, a 2002.5 model has the 3.0V6.
  • ajacat1ajacat1 Posts: 87
    And comparing it to, believe it or not, a used Toyota Avalon...gets better mileage, more luxury items, traction control/vsc (very useful up here in the PNW if you've only got FWD)...

The only reason I can see now to go with an MPV is the vertical height, for taking big things every so often...which *would* help in taking things home from tag sales :) etc...

Maybe I'll wait until the end of July and get an '03 MPV...I *don't* want the Sienna--seems too big. I was asking about the 04 MPV...if any changes are on the horizon. I can't find any.

If you hear of any, please post!
    thanks again--
    Mazda needs to bring wood trim back. Carbon fiber is NOT sporty and everyone I have met thinks it is darn ugly. The old wood trim wasn't that nice, so they could have nicer wood trim like the new Sienna's yummy trim or even the Daimler Chryslers or Kias which aren't bad.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    I remember when the MPV came out for the 2000 model year in 99. I looked at it and I never saw a Mini-van look so good exterior wise. The only min-van that comes closest was the last generation Dodge Caravan but the 2000 MPV has the last generation Caravan beat on looks. My wishes for the new MPV: put more scare into competitors from Honda, Toyota, and Chrysler.
  • lsinclsinc Posts: 270
    My one wish is that they don't make the MPV bigger. A few changes: Split tumble under third row seat; shorter shifter; move rear air controls to either the second row seats or place them in the ceiling next to the vents. That's it. :)

Leslie
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    KEEP THE CURRENT SIZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, maybe move the climate controls to the second row seats. And make the fold n' tumble seats 60/40.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Posts: 569
    I'm actually in favour of Mazda growing the next gen MPV so it will be more competitive with the Odyssey, new Sienna and Quest etc. but only if they also bring us the Mazda4 (a Mazda3-based mini MPV.....will share a platform with the Focus CMAX). The current size is ok except for the fact that it's almost as pricey as the big boys and gets no better mileage......in fact it's worse than the Sienna and Odyssey. That's why I'd rather see them grow it and then bring us the smaller, more efficient, more economical Mazda4 too.
  • bob57bob57 Posts: 302
    The selling point (IMHO) is the current size and manuverability of the MPV. Making it "grow" is not in it's best interest.
    Two other points, price and mileage. My '00 Sienna MPG is about the same as my '01 MPV and selling price of the Ody & Sienna is well (choke) above the current MPV - at least where I live.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Posts: 569
    I'm being a bit selfish, for my main reason in wanting Mazda to grow the MPV is so that they'll have more incentive to bring us the Mazda4 (a vehicle I'd REALLY be interested in). I do agree, however, that out of the current crop of so-called "mini"vans, the current MPV is the most attractive to me as it's not TOO big. However, the current crop of "sport vans" all of which we don't or probably won't get here) including the upcoming Mazda4, the Mitsubishi Grandis, the Toyota Wish, the Honda Latitude/Stream, the VW Touran etc. etc. all suit my needs better, as I only occasionally need to carry six passenger and am interested in an economical (to buy and run) but practical vehicle that's not too "vanny"
    I don't think so. The Sienna you probably have to pay close to invoice. The Odessy is definite MSRP out the door. The MPV you could probably get 2,000 off invoice figuring most Mazda's are discounted with the exception of the Mazda 6 with the sport package. The MPV is a great deal. I do not like the way Toyota went with the styling of the current Sienna. The interior is really beautiful but the exterior styling is a little cartoon-ish especially the front end.
  • clarkebdclarkebd Posts: 7
    I read through all the messages above and still am confused.

Does anyone know when a 'new' redesigned MPV is coming out? is it 2006 estimate?
  • tbcreativetbcreative Posts: 357
    A year ago, my wife and I saw a black 2002 MPV, and, for the first time, got excited about a minivan. After a lot of research and debate about cargo capacity, my wife and I ordered a Sunlight Silver '03 MPV ES, back in February, pretty much fully loaded, including a moonroof, 6 disc/cassette stereo, DVD, luggage rack, all-weather package, and security package. We took delivery of it in April, just in time for my wife's birthday, and have been THRILLED ever since! We couldn't be happier with every aspect of the best darned minivan on the market. And to top it all off, we had the best experience with Vicki, the fleet manager at Showcase Mazda, in Phoenix. Getting dealer invoice, plus some extras thrown in, made this the "best bang for the buck," for sure!

I saw the spy shots and auto show pics of the new Sienna just before we ordered the MPV, which clinched the deal. Once again, Toyota has "uglied-up" another one of their models (the 4Runner and Landcruiser being the trend-setters). I think the new Sienna is ugly and not at all aggressive-looking like the MPV or Town & Country/Caravan. Also, it's wheels and tires are too small, making it look goofy and out of proportion. Sure it has a lot of goodies, and is the first to copy Mazda by enabling the sliding door windows to go down, but for the price, it had better look cool too. It doesn't.

I'm not quite sure of the age of most of you who post here, but I grew up with wood grain interiors, and I'm sick of them. They can be tastefully applied to luxury sedans, but in my opinion, wood grain is not at all sporty. Carbon Fiber is very sporty. What do you see adorning a lot of great sports cars today? Wood grain? No. My wife and I prefer the modern and sporty look of carbon fiber, and I'm glad Mazda got with the times.

Now, for those of you who would prefer the old-fashioned wood look, I do sympathize, because I hate when manufacturers don't offer things as options or give more choices. I like to have my hard-earned $ buy exactly what I want, so I understand all of your frustrations. This is such a great van, though, that that shouldn't deter anyone from purchasing one. I hate to go down this road, but maybe anyone that can't live without wood trim should get an after-market kit to apply. There's a lot of them out there.

Anyway, I'm anxious to see what the next generation MPV will bring, because if Mazda keeps heading in the same direction, and offering such great cars as the MPV, Mazda 6, and RX-8, when we're ready to trade our '03, you can bet it will be the next generation MPV!
  • I hope Mazda makes the next generation MPV in both short wheelbase and extended...that way, current non-MPV owners never have to settle again for competitor's vehicles : ). Also, while reading the threads of a different board, I noticed a while back a wish list was started on what we MPV owners would like Mazda to include, std or opt, on next model yr MPV..i'd like to get the ball rolling on that discussion again..maybe we can get a comprehensive list and submit it to Mazda somehow..anyway, here goes:

pwr/remote liftgate
    keyless remote starter
    remote window feature (up/down w/ fob 4 hot days!)
    passenger-side door lock control
    more power (WASHU engine plz..would even settle
      for MAZDA6 engine 4 right now)
    rvw mirror w/ compass/temperature reading (sorry..
      used to it now since buying my camry)
    split-folding 3rd row (now standard 4 MV category)
    stability control (in absence/instead of AWD 4
      now)
    optional step bars (makes access easier for small
      children/elderly despite currently low step-in
      height)
    navigation (at least an option..dashboard sure is
      big enuff)
    REDESIGN THE FRIGGIN' SHIFTER NOW! (also make the shift detents firmer..currently too easy to shift out of gear)
    trip computer, mpg reading, tire pressure monitor
    panoramic-view interior mirror (a la Windstar/new Sienna..to C who is
      telling the truth about who hit whom 1st!)
    tracks on bottom of 3rd row seat (so that when its folded in the floor
      2nd row seats can be adjusted fore/aft as needed.
    power liftgate window (Toyota started it 1st by stealing roll down
      side windows..[non-permissible content removed] for tat..'sides, Mazda started with front/side
      windows..may as well finish the rest of the windows).
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Here we go:
    Split Fold 3rd seat
    Fore/Aft adjustable 2nd row seats
    backseats that recline more. (My Odyssey reclines less than my neighbor's 94' Previa and my friend's 04 Sienna has less recline than my Odyssey)
    Power Liftgate
    Roll-Down windows-all rows!!!!
    Nav System (enough room for that)
    Good Fuel Economy
    I'm fine with the shifter
    Move the back climate controls to the second row. (They're in the 3rd row now)
    Keep the tailgate seat thing. I love it in my Odyssey.
    "Value Van" model for $20K with the basics. (No NAV, no Power Liftgate, just one power door and a CD player)
    All this for under $33K, Mazda. Don't go overboard like the Sienna. My friend payed $33K for his Sienna XLE FWD.
    I have heard the 06 MPV will be based on the Mazda 6 platform. Is this true? If it's true does that mean because the 6 is built in Flat Rock, Michigan and the 6 platform is there too the MPV wil be built there or will the MPV still be built in Japan?

I know Nissan did a similar thing since the 04 Maxima is based on the Altima platform Nissan decided to move Maxima production to America since the Altima is built in Tennesee. 85-03 Maxima's were built in Japan. So is Mazda pulling a Nissan(Maxima) with the MPV?
This discussion has been closed.