Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MX-Flexa / Mazda5

Comments

• Options
    perfectofcperfectofc Member Posts: 155
    Finally picked mine up on Sunday and shot a bunch of pictures. The 5-speed does rev a bit higher than the auto on the freeway (around 2900 rpm at 100km/h/60mph)... but man is it FUN to drive. You seriously hardly notice you have all this "vanlet" behind you, it feels like a Mazda3.

Pictures of my baby at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mazda5
  • Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    I finally got an up-close look a Mazda5 yesterday. It reminds me of my old VW bus. Can I get one in Olive Green, with curtains on the windows?
  • Options
    smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    Not bad for a first tank! I'm definitely curious to know how your second tank does too...

A "real-world" number of 19MPG for the first tank, engine not broken in yet, mostly city driving with the AC on and 3-5 passengers sounds pretty decent to me. For city driving, the bigger minivans (MPV, Sienna, Odyssey) get Consumer Reports "real-world" numbers of only 12-13 MPG. Even the Mazda 3i only gets 21 "real-world" MPG city according to CR.

It'll be interesting to see a "real-world" number for the Mazda5 with mostly highway driving...
  • Options
    When I registered my 5, they insured it as a "Station Wagon". It's not a mini van! :-)
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Hey, we all know a station wagon is a lot cooler than a mini-van! Are you going to put the woodgrain applique on the sides? ;)
  • Options
    newowner1newowner1 Member Posts: 19
    I'm a bit disappointed that Canada gets Indigo Blue, while the USA gets turquoise. What's up with that? Does Mazda think that Americans are afraid of being perceived as girly men? Oh wait, I guess that's true. :mad:
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    2,900 at 60mph is pretty much Miata territory, and almost makes my tC seemed relaxed. 3,500prm might get tiring at 70mph, and that puts you close to 4K to do 80.

For relaxed cruising (and better economy) you can't beat a big engine loafing along. My 'ody only does about 2,400rpm@75, and that's running on 3 cylinders!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure that the US and Canadian markets get the same colors.

Both markets get the "Phantom Blue", which is what you're calling a "turquoise". Also, both markets get the darker blue, but in Canada it's called "Indigo Blue" and in the US it's called "Strato Blue".

Anyone know why the names are different? The Indigo/Strato Blues are exactly the same colors, aren't they?
  • Options
    Yep, Indigo and Strato Blue are the same colour.
  • Options
    mactavish1mactavish1 Member Posts: 19
    I sat in one at the dealers this past weekend.

He said that air con was standard but the climate control was the extra 1000$ (cad)

I can't see anywhere that shows air con as standard, is it ?

Also, anyone have a picture of the GS yet, I'd like to see what the back black bumper looks like.

I don't see the 3 grand value in the GT package, I'd like the extra safety features and that's all !
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    sees about 25 MPG in a mix of highway/city. The 3.5L is a hoot to drive though which probably does absolutely nothing to improve our MPG.

I was kind of disappointed to see the 5 only gets 21/26 MPG with an automatic. How much does the manual transmission improve MPG?
  • Options
    newowner1newowner1 Member Posts: 19
    ok, i just went to each country's website. the us version of phantom blue is definitely more turquoisish, while the canadian version has less green mixed in. is this just a function of poor website design, or are the colors really different?
  • Options
    It's a website difference, not an actual colour of vehicle difference. :)
  • Options
    twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    tcw2: Now that I've had my Mazda5 for a week I thought I'd report back about gas mileage. We got about 19 MPG on our first tank.

Ok, I think it's your duty as a loyal M5 owner to take it on a 300 mile highway trip and report the mileage. ;)

It's probably too new to get over 25 but I'd love to see 30.
  • Options
    perfectofc: Finally picked mine up on Sunday and shot a bunch of pictures.

Congrats, you made a great choice.

In one of your pics, I really noticed the similarity to a Matrix. A stretched Matrix with sliders. I don't think that's a bad thing, I like the looks of the Matrix. The M5 is an improved Matrix. ;) A bigger engine (which the Matrix needs), sliding doors (can't get more practical) and more room (for those who need it.)

When the M5 offers an optional engine and optional interior, it will be darn near perfect.
  • Options
    You've got it about right, twain - it's a stretched Matrix with room for 6, sliding doors, and a bigger engine. It's also the only non-van out there capable of seating 6 without bench seats and three in the front row. :-)
  • Options
    Another way to look at it is it's the only minivan on the market that can't seat at least 7 people. ;)

Isn't the rear seat in the 5 a bench, with a 50-50 fold-down backrest? Actually the 5's configuration isn't much different from the Pacifica's, and that isn't a van.
  • Options
    True enough, I should have been more specific then! :P
  • Options
    tcw2tcw2 Member Posts: 9
    I was doing some highway driving this weekend in the Mazda5 (automatic transmission) and thought I'd report on the RPM's I saw at highway speeds. At 70 MPH it was basically at 3,000 RPM. At 65 MPH it was at 2,750. At 60 MPH it was at 2,500.

That's with the AC on, BTW.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    I could probably live with that. My tC is at ~66 with 3K on the clock. It would matter less if it was my car 9around town and short local trips mostly) vs. the wifes car (family duty and the long haul trips, often doing 75-80 for long highway stretches).

I believe that the manual is geared slightly shorter though.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    "I believe that the manual is geared slightly shorter though."

It certainly is - the revs are slightly higher at 60mph (As I indicated earlier) than in the Auto.
  • Options
    gshockgshock Member Posts: 3
    how did the 5 compare in your expereince to the Maxx and the 6 Sportwagon?
  • Options
    tcw2: At 70 MPH it was basically at 3,000 RPM.

I think the Mazda _5_ should have a 5 speed auto. The option of a 5 speed stick is great but it needs the 5 speed auto. Lower those rpms and improve mpg and performance.
  • Options
    coastercoaster Member Posts: 46
    In reviewing the Mazda USA site I noticed that both the 6 and the 3 offer some accessories that are probably dealer installed. The list for the 5 has yet to be released and if the list includes the auto-dimming mirror with home link it will help to persuade me to buy a Mazda 5. It seems that Mazda is behind schedule with this car on its USA site - still listed as a future vehicle - and in releasing an accessory list since the car is already being sold to customers. I am also waiting for the car magazine reports. They usually precede the release of the automobile but in this case the reviews are delayed.
  • Options
    afticaaftica Member Posts: 14
    Thanks to all who have provided a great insight into this vehicle. Test drove the M5 yesterday and was very impressed. We will be moving on from a 95 Odyssey which has served us well since new. I will be finalizing the deal in the next two days and was looking for pricing feedback from anyone who has bought one in Canada. I don't anticipate that they will move much on the MSRP but what about accessories. We were looking to add the roof rack system carrier base, floor mats and bumper guard, for a total of 588.24, would covering this be a reasonable starting point to look at a for deal. In the past I have been very aggressive when purchasing new, OK yes its been ten years but I was surprised at how far one could go to swing the deal. Unfortunately this is a new vehicle with limited availability and I was wondering if anyone who has purchased can lend some direction.

Of interest I measured my 95 Odyssey with the third row of seats down and came up with 31.5 cu/ft of space. This was arrived at by measuring across the back interior side to side, from the back of the second row seat cushions to the tailgate and from the floor to the top of the second row seats not including the headrest. I measured the M5 and came up with 21.5 cu/ft.

Perfectofc, thanks so much for your posts and pictures, very helpful. Have you seen the Snowflake White Pearl, this is what we are looking at. :)
  • Options
    I don't know if you'll be able to get the roof rack thrown in, but go for it. The dealer I dealt with would not (and I repeat this for emphasis) NOT move from MSRP. He did give me good value on my trade, however, which was good enough for me to make the deal.

I wonder if anyone has stock of the roof racks yet, because my dealer did not? If you do get one, please take some pictures of it so I can see it.

As for Snowflake White Pearl, no I have not seen that one yet ... haven't seen Black OR White! :)
  • Options
    spidermazda5spidermazda5 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased one last week.

Perfecto is right, pricewise it is difficult to move, with so limited availability. They are making about ~1500 profit at MSRP.

I started from a few hundreds down the MSRP, and at the end got about 200 off the MSRP.

REmember, Floor mat and a full tank of gas are compliments of Mazda. You can see it on the web site.

Still haven't seen the roof rack yet, but my dealer suggest I can go after market, as long as you like the look.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Options
    coastercoaster Member Posts: 46
    I think in US the same color is called Whitewater Pearl. I have been trying to find that color in a Mazda 5 to no avail (It's a $200. option). However, the RX8 has the same color if you can find one of those.
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    are sometimes really clueless. I called today to inquire about the 5. The sales person informed me that they will not go on sale for a month or two. Ummm yeah.

So. I don't know how some of you got them so early ;)
  • Options
    I'm working out a deal with Airport Mazda in Toronto.

I'm not sure if it's the done thing but I have the carcost canada info for the Mazda 5 and there is certainly some space to move on the price. The invoice price is 18,600 so use it to your advantage.

There's not much on the extra's etc.
  • Options
    yellowperilyellowperil Member Posts: 22
    Not all Mazda dealers are getting the Mz5 immediately. The truck delivering new Mazdas to my local dealer had a 5 on board, but it was going to another dealer. Are some dealers are rewarded for better sales?
  • Options
    "Are some dealers are rewarded for better sales?"

You bet - initial distribution of the 5 was based on sales of MPV's and 3's at the dealerships in question.
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    That may be, but, he implied that the 5 was not on sale as of yet.
  • Options
    bigdaddycoats: The sales person informed me that they will not go on sale for a month or two.

I stopped by my local dealer Saturday and they said no 5s til the end of the month.
  • Options
    This explains why the largest volume Mazda dealer in my town was advertising Mazda5s last weekend while other dealers were not.
  • Options
    whipped95whipped95 Member Posts: 46
    With another child on the way we're planning to trade in our '03 Mazda 6 for something larger. So far we have test driven the Ford Explorer, Mercury Moutaineer and Mazda 5. The Mazda 5 has great looks,drive and flexibility, but unfortanately I feel that we would sooner than later outgrow the vehicle. While it is essentially a scaled down version of an MPV or stretched Mazda 3, I feel it cannot replace what the larger SUV and minivans can offer and that would be the extra SPACE. However this would be a great vehicle for a family of 3 and a dog but not for 4+. Fit and finish seemed nice but the plastic materials used for the dash and consoles was a bit dissapointing and the NAV system was having display driver issues. Perhaps the worst thing we found was that there wasn't any rear AC vents and its 100+F here in Texas, so it took some time to cool the rear seating area (=kids wont be happy). I really liked the 5, but we're going to need something larger. The Mercury Mountaineer was really nice inside and out. It had the third row seating which was actually comfortably. Interior had an upscale feel with nice trim and full leather seating. For a large SUV it did handle well, still nothing close the the 5s agility. The only thing that may keep me from buying it is the fuel economy, 16/21. Ouch! Finding the right vehicle is beginning to become a real headache rather than an enjoyable experience. Anyhow good luck with the 5, go and drive it for yourself, it might be for you.
  • Options
    mrgarymrgary Member Posts: 33
    Well The Max and the 6 Sportwagon were both very good cars. I liked the features on both Cars MAXX. Had the Sport wagon been less expensive I most likely would have gone that way.
    The back seat lays flight in it. The Max for the price would have been my car except but it just didn't grab my attention like the Mazda. I mean the feel when driving it. I think because i was looking for a manual instead of an auto. The Mazda5 is easy to get in and out of, plus load things in. I haul sports equipment alot and dogs. The sliding rear doors are nice because you don't have to swing them out. One thing my wife wishes we had is the arm rest for the passenger side front seat. Oh and the Mazda 5 is the best one for insurance, in my case. This saves a few bucks each year.
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Ford Freestyle 19/27MPG, 6 or 7 pass, rear a/c, around $24-$30K depending on what you get on it and you won't outgrow it.
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Ford Freestyle station wagon version of Ford 500, 19/27MPG, 6 or 7 pass, rear a/c, around $24-$30K depending on what you get on it and you won't outgrow it.
  • Options
    jc9799jc9799 Member Posts: 70
    I feel it cannot replace what the larger SUV and minivans can offer and that would be the extra SPACE

I know that many in this forum would disagree with that statement, but to each his own. After all, only you can decide how much space is enough space for you. Since it's mentioned in you post, did you consider the MPV? More space than the 5 and more nimble than bigger minivans or SUV's. (although not nearly as nimble as the 5)

Just another thought to complicate your car shopping experience. ;)
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I'm curious whether the 5's dome light turns on when you pull the key out of the ignition? This is a nice feature that I would definitely miss.
  • Options
    I don't believe the back bumper on the GS is black. It's still body coloured. The mirrors are, however, black. And of course there is no spoiler. (good way to tell the difference)
  • Options
    whipped95whipped95 Member Posts: 46
    MPV is next on the list as well as the Tribute. I just happened to test drive the larger Ford products becuase I have an in-law that works for a Lincoln/Mercury dealership. However the lincoln/mercury dealership he works for did aquire Mazda,Suzuki,Lexus and Suburu dealerships as well. So he is able to pull a new/used vehicle for me from any lot at his cost. It's hard trying to decide what the best vehicle under 25K would be. As far as the 5 is concerned I really do like it. The wife on the other hand was nit picking at it the whole drive. F-I-L will call me with a price on an '05 Mountaineer tomorrow, which should be somewhere around 23k after heavy discounts/ incentives. 33K with 10K off the sticker brand new is hard to pass up, but I do plan to wait until I finish driving the MPV and tribute. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • Options
    dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    MPV has the highest rate of "LEMON LAW" complains in the minivan segment.
  • Options
    Thanks, perfect.

I think I'm going with the GS, still to decide if it's the Plat Silver or the Black. The pic's I've seen of the Plat silver make it look slightly gold. Can't understand why Mazda didn't release it in base Silver as well. Would have made my choice a lot simpler.
  • Options
    jc9799jc9799 Member Posts: 70
    dan,
    Thanks. Where were you 1 month ago? ;)
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Where did you get that info on Lemon Law complaints?

Meade
  • Options
    I love the Platinum Silver, haven't regretted that colour for one second. :-) Also, I think the GT is worth it, but I really wanted a sunroof and cruise.
  • Options
    Perfectofc

Is it slighty gold then ? Any pictures, I've only seen the blue and the other silver and they both look so different from photo's or swatches.

Also where did you buy yours from ?

Thanks. So looking forward to getting rid of my explorer and back into something sporty-ish!
  • Options
    My wife and I ordered a Platinum Silver Mazda5 after seeing one at a dealer in NJ. Yup, it's got a hint of gold/brown in it, definitely not a "pure" silver/gray.

Perfectofc's pictures are here (hope he doesn't mind me reposting the link). I think that his daytime photos are pretty representative of what ithe Platinum Silver actually looks like in person:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mazda5

There are also some good pictures of the Platinum Silver Mazda5, along with other colors, on this web site (image IMG_6959 is Platinum Silver):

http://homepage.mac.com/trancefusion/Mazda3/PhotoAlbum46.html

Steve
This discussion has been closed.