Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MX-Flexa / Mazda5

Comments

• charlotte7charlotte7 Posts: 144
    The 5 I drove was not a Touring edition--I wonder if that climate control helps cool more efficiently?

29 or 30 mpg is really good mileage! What are other 5 drivers getting?

I actually took measurements of my bike with me to everything we test drove, and I think I could fit the entire bike in there without removing the wheel. (We measured the 5, too.) I've also decided I may just have to learn to love mostly deflating the tire and taking the front wheel off that way if it comes to it. Ugh.
  • smariasmaria Posts: 279
    It wasn't just that the vents were small and poorly-positioned, the AC just wasn't cold.

Hmm...sounds like maybe the test-drive car had a defective AC unit? My AC works great, never blows warm/hot air. If you do buy a Mazda5, just make sure you don't buy the one you test-drove ;)

I know I could get a minimally-equipped MPV for about the same price as a 5 here, and it looked like their gas mileage was pretty similar, too.

Careful here. The EPA ratings don't look hugely different between the Mazda5 and the MPV. But, on full tanks, many new Mazda5 owners are reporting at least 25 MPG. In real-world driving, Consumer Reports gets (at best) 19 MPG on all of the minivans it tests (Odyssey, Sienna, etc.). It only gets 18 MPG on the MPV.

As an aside: 30 MPG in the Mazda5 sounds very high to me...not sure how that was achieved (I've gotten 23-25 MPG).
  • As an aside: 30 MPG in the Mazda5 sounds very high to me...not sure how that was achieved (I've gotten 23-25 MPG).

smaria,

What can I say, I guess I am just very talented or lucky :-)

Here's my log of fill ups. My usual MO is to fill the tank when the meter hits the halfway mark. (I apologize if it's a bit difficult to read - it looks fine in compose mode)

Miles Gal MPG
    196.5 6.949 28.3
    193.6 6.906 28.0
    231.6 7.912 29.3
    205.2 6.829 30.0
    276.5 9.875 28.0
    227.9 7.422 30.7
    1331.3 45.893 29.0

PS - Just so there's no confusion, I am in the LA/OC/IE area so the mileage is calculated using US gallons.
  • smariasmaria Posts: 279
    I believe you, I just wish that my AT wasn't doing so much worse than your MT (5.5 MPG worse than your numbers so far on average). I know that the AT is EPA-rated 1 MPG worse than the MT, but a real-world 5.5 MPG difference is a huge difference...$350 per year in gas! (assuming 15k per year, $3.00 per gallon).

Steve
  • Well, if there's any consolation, most of my trips tend to be at least 10 miles one way and I am either driving on the freeway or on high speed boulevards (don't believe the hype, LA traffic moves better than you might think).
  • jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    don't believe the hype, LA traffic moves better than you might think
    yea Right! Depends on when and where you are dirving! If you are in a Mazda, and zoom zooming, perhaps the time just flys by? ;-)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That's impressive, and the engine isn't even fully broken in.

-juice
  • perfectofcperfectofc Posts: 155
    I'm getting very very similar numbers, and I'm around 5,000km on my 5.
  • bjerrybjerry Posts: 59
    I have a 5 speed MT and to date most of my driving has been in the city, lots of stop and go, so I haven't seen anything close to 30 mpg.

Recently, I had a chance to drive a Mazda 6 wagon automatic for a day while my car was in the shop. I noticed it kept getting up to 5th gear under 40 mph. Normally I don't shift to 5th until i'm above 45mph, so I've been trying to shift up to 5th whenever I get to close to 40mph, but I haven't filled the tank since then to see if my around town mileage has improved.

What are others doing to get better mileage?
  • Not sure if anybody has brought this up or not, but the Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) is only available with the navigation system. Was at the dealer today and it isn't listed in any of the brochures or on the window sticker, but there was a demo on the showroom floor with little feature stickers on it and one of them said Navigation and TPMS package. New spotters' trick for knowing if it has Navi when walking the lot or seeing one in the wild: look for silver valve stems and caps instead of the black ones. I, like my salesman, had thought all of the Touring models had it, but alas, no.
  • isda65isda65 Posts: 74
    99% city driving here with an AT. Average of 15kms/day with stop-and-go situations between 23-43 times. I drive mostly at 50kph at times up to 70kph. With this type of driving, I get 11.2l/100kms or 21mpg which is Mazda's stated rating. I did a tankful of highway driving in July and I got 7.5l/100km or 31.36mpg. Pretty amazing considering that it's only supposed to get 8.3l/100km or 28.34mpg. Average highway speed was 90kph. I also made sure that the tire was properly inflated at 34psi.
  • dapontdapont Posts: 21
    Here's the Mazda British site. Check the videos in the lower right, especially the first one which is long but which shows the power door and fold-up center seat. Why can't we get stuff like that?

http://4a.mazda.com/product/mazda5/
  • bjerrybjerry Posts: 59
    Why can't we get stuff like that?

Where could we find the numbers on what Mazda plans to sell in Europe and Japan versus North America? I believe the European market for this size of vehicle is much stronger (more competitive) than in the US and Canada, and Mazda already has an idea of what the market is like, whereas here they're just dipping their toe in the water, so to speak.
  • The power door will probably be added when they add leather and decide to offer a 25,000 USD version. The "+1" seat is probably not coming because of the lack of a three point harness anchor point and the fact that 6 + 1 Americans would probably excede the weight rating. :D
  • Some one please tell if the window for the second row, the one attached to the sliding door, goes up and down?
  • Yes they do. All the way down, not half way like most 2nd row automobiles.
  • perfectofcperfectofc Posts: 155
    I do wish the third row windows would "pop out" though... that would have been nice.
  • charlotte7charlotte7 Posts: 144
    Does anyone (audia8q?) know the S-plan pricing for the 5? I have a coworker who's interested in one, and while we have our Ford Partner Recognition PINs, Mazda doesn't list the 5 yet on their S-plan pricing site. My coworker is interested in just a plain Sport model with auto transmission.
  • Hey, folks, thanks for the feedback on my questions - looks like Charlotte7 had much the same experience.

Frank4cars - you said it should be as durable as the Subaru... did you mean mechanically, or the interior? Mechanically I could see, but I just don't know about the interior.

That being said... we're still leaning toward getting one, mainly because my wife doesn't want to drive an automatic, which pretty much rules out the entire minivan segment. Plus, it does still fit our needs pretty well. Might try another test drive this weekend, see if the AC on a different car works any better. Since some folks haven't noticed anything, but others think it's weak, I'm wondering if it depends on the individual car for some reason...?
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Yes they do. All the way down, not half way like most 2nd row automobiles.

... Another nice carryover from the Mazda3 ... I was very impressed to see its rear windows go all the way down! First car I've ever had that does it.

Meade
This discussion has been closed.