Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion tC

Comments

• rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    Looks good! Engine and specs remind me of the Japanese Corolla Levin/Sprinter Trueno twins. With all the TRD mods, this could be one hot seller!! Crisp, sharp lines too!! :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'll get to see it on the 7th at Detroit. Will report back here.

-juice
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    Looks plain up front and just like a Celica in back. May be the sportiest Scion, but to me the least appealing. Looks too much like every Celica since the late 80s.
  • gambit293gambit293 Posts: 406
    The bigger engine leaves more potential for aftermarket tinkering.

And the conservative looks also leave a lot of room for aftermarket add-ons.

Who knows... could be a winner.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Blurb was very favorable. The styling is agreeable to me, and if they can price it well with all those standard features, the punchy (even when normally aspirated) and efficient 2.4L, I'm going to be taking a serious look at it. Love the trick rear seat and hidden hatch functionality.

~alpha
  • fdannafdanna Posts: 263
    I like everything about the car from what I've seen ... except.... I drive 70 miles a day and I value fuel economy more than engine size. 22city /29highway isn't going to cut it for me and gas isn't getting any cheaper.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd rather have a smaller engine... a 1.7 @ 130hp would be fine for me.
  • gambit293gambit293 Posts: 406
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a hybrid version of the tc out very soon.

Now Honda and Toyota are already talking about hybrids that not only have better fuel mileage, but also have more POWER (hp) than the conventional trim versions. The best of both worlds in one neat package!
  • Toyota isn't just talking about more power, they are going to deliver it. The RX 400H and the Highlander hybrid will have about 40 more HP than their normal counterparts.
    The Scion is rated at 22/29? Where are you getting that info? The 2.4L Camry with auto is rated at 23/32.....with manual, 24/33, Im pretty sure.

~alpha
    I do see where the 22/29 came from... I assume youre looking at the PDF on the scion.com website. I wonder if those figures will change once the vehicle is officially rated by the EPA...I find it hard to believe that Toyota would market a small coupe with marginal numbers, below its mainstream family sedan. However, the tC is weighty... 2925 with a manual? Thats very close to a Solara coupe 2.4L 5M.... I'm wondering how much of this info has been printed properly. For example, if you look, the Passenger Volume is listed at 34.7 cubic feet, which is NOT EVEN POSSIBLE. Also, all accounts I have read, including the press release on toyota.com, put this version of the 2.4L at 160hp and 163 torque. Why is it different in the PDF?

Toyota needs to sweat the details in its promotional literature.

~alpha
    Looks good, better in person than in photos, like many cars. Clean styling drew lots of attention. Scion staff were giving away freebies, but that meant there were lines of people.

The marketing was 2nd only to the Mini Cooper booth, which was awesome, but that's another story.

I like the tC. Looks like what a handsome Corolla SR5 coupe would look like if they still built it today. Remember those? Small and sporty, but more practical than a Celica.

I was at NAIAS during the industry preview days, it opens to the public on the 10th. They were out of brochures, all over the place they were out. Press kits were hard to come by also. Bummer.

Scion had a good show, though. Compared to Kia and Suzuki, which failed to grab any attention at all.

-juice
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,138
    Wish they'd bring over the five-door version from Europe! Isn't there a four-door also?
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Posts: 569
    The tc looks like a 2+2 successor to Honda's CRX.
    It makes me wish we had Scion up here in the great white north!
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    The tC is based on the Toyota Avensis, which is a 4-door sedan and wagon. Yea, I'd like to see them here too! :)
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    I can't wait til they get one down here in Ga. I used to be a Toyota guy but Honda won me over. If they do this right I'm getting out of my SI and into a Scion.
  • This little baby warrants its own board. so no one will have to use a search.

Anyway Does anyone else see some similar lines to the Audi TT on the tC? Especially from the side?

Also there are a ton of standard features on this puppy. For a company all about adding options there doesn't seem like much I'd want.

And whoever said they wanted 130 hp for better mileage needs to check what he's smoking.
    It's smarter to do it that way. Even if you alienate the "strippo" buyer, you still add value to the car for less out-the-door price. And it helps resale since they are all loaded.
    Anyone have any guesses as to when Toyota will release pricing info on the tC, given that this vehicle should be launching in June?

Also, any thoughts on whether this car will kill the Celica off for good? The tC has more torque, more innovative features (tilting rear seatback, panorama roof), more room, better styling inside and out (subjective, yes), and offers a supercharger. The Celica is waxing geriatric, and in light of the expectations for this car, overpriced. I want this kick-butt new Scion to steal sales from the overrated Acura RSX, but if so, it will likely be stealing sales from the stale-ish Celica as well.

~alpha
  • pzevpzev Posts: 807
    re: price

I don't know if it's all that smart. This car will probably come in around $18k. I thought Scion was about the younger buyers. Can many of these younger buyers even afford $18k cars? Then you have a big percentage of them that are going to want the supercharger option which will bump the price even higher.

I think there would have been enough demand to have a non-sunroof, no 17-inch alloy wheel, etc. version. A lot of the kids want to change the wheels anyway but they already paid for nice 17-inch ones. Some don't care about a hole in the roof. These things are only pushing the price of the car higher.

Any word on where the car is being built? If it's in Japan then I can't see how the car will be under 18k, if it is it'll be just barely. And with Scion's no-haggle pricing like Saturn this is going to be an expensive car for a lot of younger people.

And don't forget the $500 SE regional fees that toyota dealers charge in the southeast US. This car is going to be out of my price range, I won't be looking at it. I can't imagine a lot of younger buyers, especially in this economy, that can afford $18k cars.
    All the info I've seen from supposed "insiders" (take this with a grain of salt) the car will be around 18k. Notice how Toyota only says it'll be under 20k. If by some miracle they can charge 17k or less for this car then they need to make a sedan version and they would sell like hotcakes. of course that would hurt Camry sales so I doubt we'll see that happen.

If the Celica goes away then this coupe won't be hurting other cars in the Toyota line-up except maybe the Solara. This car should help Toyota's image with younger buyers but I'm wondering how many can really afford the car if it really does turn out to be 18k or more.

Actually 18k is pretty good if you can haggle and knock it down a $1,000 and/or get rebates. I don't think this car is going to be made in high volumes (I think I read about 30,000 will be made a year) and include the no-haggle Scion pricing and being 18k or more is simply too high, at least for me.
    The economy (market/portfolio wise) is in better shape than in many recent years. Compared to competing products, the tC will undercut, if priced at $18,000 with all the standard features (optional on other cars) by thousands. I'm not just talking higher echelon cars, I'm also talking cars like they Hyundai Tiburon GT V6, Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, etc. Even at $18,000, the tC would barely be more expensive than a Civic EX coupe.

~alpha
    I guess I'm a bit biased because the two major standard equipment included with the Scion, the panorama sunroof and 17-inch alloys, I don't care about. The only other thing this car really has is the better sound system but beyond that the standard equipment is pretty typical of other cars.

Also there's no sign of side airbags being standard, and I'm curious if it's even an option. That matters much more to me than the sunroof and I would prefer 16-inch alloys versus 17-inch. Also the car is going to be about 3,000 pounds so not sure how fast it'll be.

Add in the cost of 17-inch tires which are more expensive to replace versus 16-inch, higher insurance for coupes, and the possibility of the car being a hot item for thieves (if the sound system is any good it may prove to be a popular item for thieves) then I just can't see myself getting this car.

This is just me personally though. It just forces a lot of stuff I don't want, and doesn't have things I do want. I don't like Hondas for this reason as well, it's either take it or leave it.
    It takes the difficulty out of finding the car that you want. You choose the color and drive away. With all that content, a sub $20k price, and Toyota quality, the car is a steal. Even if 18 year olds can't afford it, there are a lot of older folk looking for a car like this. For us this car is almost free.
    "With all that content, a sub $20k price, and Toyota quality, the car is a steal. Even if 18 year olds can't afford it, there are a lot of older folk looking for a car like this. For us this car is almost free."

Which begs the question, are more older people going to buy this car than the younger crowd and destroy the point of what Scion is about?

They go to the trouble of making the Scion brand to seperate itself from Toyota to be more youth-oriented, but then you see 30+ year olds driving around in the tC. This could take effect on the brand as a whole.

They should cheapen down the price and cut out some of the content so the person can spend their money elsewhere like on 18" wheels or the supercharger or whatever. The supercharger is going to be dealer-installed so they have to pay for labor costs as well and it's only going to make around 200hp. I think I heard it'll end up costing 3k-4k, but no confirmation yet.

For that price they could have made a coupe version of the MR2 with RWD. Have the coupe with at least a bit of luggage space, drop in the Celica engine and you might have a car that the youth would crave for. It'll be too expensive but not sure the tC is a car they'll be craving for.

In my opinion the tC is a conservative attempt at winning the youth crowd but at the same time guaranteeing sucess. This car is more about features and equipment for the price, and bland styling to appeal to as many people as possible, including the 30+ year olds.

This seems like a completely different story from the xB, which is cheaper and at least while the "coolness" factor is there, is getting the kids in the showroom.

The Echo and Corolla are too blobby to stir any excitement, and dropping the Celica engine in the Corolla just doesn't make much sense. They need to do like Honda and at least have a coupe version of the Corolla.

Now Wards auto is reporting after talking to a guy from Toyota USA that the Supra isn't coming to compete with the 350Z, RX-8, etc. The Celica looks as if it'll be dropped altogether, the MR2 will be dropped, so what do you have left? A souped up Corolla and the Camry Solara?

This is why Honda even has the S2000 and NSX. I'm sure these cars aren't exactly huge profit makers for them, especially in the limited numbers they're sold, but people talk about these cars, this is something the youth can crave for.

The tC may end up appealing to the older crowd looking for a good deal rather than the youth crowd that's looking for something cool and with power. Of course this is speculation at this point.
    Forgot to mention the article says they're going to make the FJ Cruiser concept, but no Supra. This is basically a small SUV on a truck platform. Just what Toyota needs, yet another SUV.
    My opinion is that you're pretty far off. Speaking from my personal situation, once I start working full time, I WILL be in a position to buy a $20,000 sporty-type car. I dont need rip-roaring V8 power, just enough to facilitate some smiles, and attack some back roads. I'm 22, and a Scion tC- especially a supercharged model- might be just the ticket for me-interesting shape, strong engine, available manual transmission, Toyota reputation for dependability, no-haggle/ no hassle sales experience, good price/value/features equation, room for 3 friends and luggage.....

Comparing a $20K Scion tC (supercharged) to a RSX Type S, a Celica GT-S, an Eclipse GT-S... its going to be 4 to 5 grand cheaper. Against similarly priced vehicles like the Tiburon GT V6, Corolla XRS, Sentra SE-Spec V, Civic Si... its going to have more power and torque, a more unique image, more interesting interior....

I feel this car is going to be a winner.
    ~alpha
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,634
    but not a small one to compete with the Wrangler and Defender. A new FJ40 roughly the size and off-road capability of the original would be way cool and I'm not even a truck lover.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

I think this will appeal to first-time car buyers, sure. Scion has been successful so far, and this is its most conventional car by far.

-juice
  • This is an excellent car: finally, Toyota is comming out with something fast! Sorry guys, the newer Celica doesnt count, although this wont render the Celica dead: they'd had it since the beginning I believe. A TRD supercharger on the Camry engine is a great place to start for younger, first time buyers. It'll be under $20k, yes, but how much? We wont know, but it'll obviously be worth it for the quality and overall feel for these. Has anyone been inside an xA or xB? Incredibly roomy and comfortable. If I could, I'd deffinetly buy one of these.

Earlier I saw someone mention the Supra. I highly doubt there will be another one: all the ones you people claim to have seen are just artist renderings. Toyota said so themselves: "Only 2% of the people in the market are looking for a sports car." As much as I'd love it's return (I'm a Supra fanboy myself) I actually hope it doesnt. It's already perfect: anything more might accidentally ruin it, and even if it was released, it'd be an almost overpriced Lexus. What they SHOULD do is take the old body, modify it just a LITTLE bit, get a bit smaller chassis, a much weaker engine, and sell it as a Scion. The sales will skyrocket for Toyota, and I dont know if any of you have noticed, but Toyota is the 2nd largest car company: it recently beat out Ford. I believe they still make the infamous 2JZ-GTE engine (the one in the oh-so-popular Toyota Supra) so you can buy them new, although they stopped the Supra production in Japan in 2001, so who knows. The Supra's price nowadays is still a steady $20k, so Toyota definetly did something right.
    Toyota is looking for younger buyers. But they also are looking for buyers with money. This car looks like a $25000 car for $19000. I think it's a steal. If they make them all loaded the 18 year olds will just have to wait for a used ones.

But then again, all these 18 year olds with GS-R Turbos and fully tricked out new Civics and other imports show that there is SOME money around the youth of America. I don't think Scion is gonna have too much problem meeting sales goals.
This discussion has been closed.