Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion tC

Comments

• wongpreswongpres Posts: 422
    "3)only 1/3 of the third brake light works"

That's normal, all are like that.
  • exzurexzur Posts: 166
    After four weeks wait, tomorrow I am picking up my brand new silver 2005 Scion tC with manual transmission. It costs me $16,465 plus the 8.25% tax , etc., the outdoor price is $17,890.

The toyota finance guy has offered extending the bumper to bumper warranty from 3 to 6 years, and the 36,000 to 75,000 miles for $925. The extended warranty is provided by Toyota. Is it a good deal? Has anybody taken or offered the same warranty? I need your opinion, please.

Thanks.
  • WeazellWeazell Posts: 15
    I snagged my tC a couple of weeks ago from our local dealership here in fabulous Bend, OR. I have a silver tC with A/T. So far I have about 1200 miles on it - including a trip to Seattle last week (about 700 miles round trip). Here are a few thoughts:

1. The tC is dang fun to drive. My daughter is certain tht her old man is going to be getting a ticket someday soon.

2. The gas mileage is good as well. 30 - 32 MPG on my Seattle trip.

3. It's quiet! With everything closed up, it is suprisingly quiet. Even with the sunroof open a bit it ain't bad.

4. The panorama sunroof really makes sitting in the back seat not really so bad. It fees very open for such a confined space.

5. I love being able to check the outside temperature!

6. The sound system is the best stock system I have ever had. It is at it's best at higher volumes and not as strong at low volume. I have the single disc player with the Bazooka subwoofer and XM Radio, by the way.

7. The placement of the subwoofer makes getting to the spare tire a pain in the rear. I can't begin to describe what you have to go through but it definitely isn't convenient. Thankfully I don't expect to have to change all that many spare tires.

8. I opted for one of the optional gear shift knobs. I'm glad I did because the standard shift nob felt a bit sticky in hot weather.

9. I love the auto dimming mirror but only because of the "Homelink" feature. It memorized my garage door opener pretty easily and it's nice to not have the extra piece of paraphernalia hanging around. (i.e. my garage door opener)

10. I got the lip spoiler. No big deal but I do like the look of it - even if it is small.

11. Who in their right mind would pass on MX Radio? I love it - even if I have had to avoid all the news channels so that I don't have any of the Olympic results ruined for me during the day.

12. I love playing CDs with mp3s! Not only can you cram a ton more on them but the ID tag information is nice.

13. I get some good looks around town. I still haven't seen another one except for on a Toyota lot. I feel like I have something pretty unique.

Some things I worry about:

1. The seats look and feel kinda cheap. I feel like I am forever brushing lint off them AND I wonder how long it will be before they fray around the seams. I wish leather had been an option.

2. The popping in the sunroof is annoying. I understand a fix has been figured out. Someday soon I'll take it in to get it corrected.

3. The shift knob isn't completely tight. If I turned it completly tight it would be cockeyed. Not too annoying - just something I've noticed.

4. While I like the idea of the cover over the Radio / CD head, I have to punch it 2-3 times to get it to open.

5. This is petty but why isn't the XM Radio antenna the same color as the car? How hard would that have been?

Options I couldn't live with out:

1. Floor mats
    2. XM Radio
    3. Auto dimming mirror (mostly because of the garage door opener feature.)
    4. Subwoofer
    5. Shift knob.

One more thing. If you're thinking about the alarm, look closely at what you're getting. It seemed like a total waste to me.

Okay, enough rambling. Hope this helps those of you still considering a tC. This was definitely the right choice for me. And the whole thing under 20K. How could you go wrong!

Peter
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,455
    I opened mine the first day, and haven't closed it since. I suppose some day if I park in the city I might do it, but normally it will stay open.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• geneegenee Posts: 170
    1. The seats look and feel kinda cheap. I feel like I am forever brushing lint off them AND I wonder how long it will be before they fray around the seams. I wish leather had been an option.

If you are in Bend the closest Classic Soft Trim installer is in Beaverton. Their quote for leather (more and better than factory packages)was considerably less than quoted by the dealer (who has CST do their leather!). They have to have the car for two days and it usually takes three working days to get the leather from their factory in CA. For those cold Bend winters, I would also suggest you look into heated seats.
  • ericyanericyan Posts: 1
    after 2 weeks' wait
    finally got the azure pearl color
    check it out:
    www.pbase.com/sciontc
  • pdm72pdm72 Posts: 11
    7. The placement of the subwoofer makes getting to the spare tire a pain in the rear. I can't begin to describe what you have to go through but it definitely isn't convenient. Thankfully I don't expect to have to change all that many spare tires.

---

Is this something specific to the installed Bazooka, or is it likely to be an issue with anything installed in its place? I've been leaning towards getting that option, rather than getting something aftermarket, mostly because I really don't know enough about these things to go out and get something, and because the fit just seems convenient, but if I can avoid this problem, I might reconsider it. Granted, one doesn't get flat tires every day, but I can envision myself inadvertently destroying things in frustration trying to get to the tire, if it's complicated.
    7. The placement of the subwoofer makes getting to the spare tire a pain in the rear.

The sub for the tC mounts in the rear quarter panel and takes very little - if anything - out of the the trunk. It sounds like the people in Bend installed the xB Bazooka TUBE rather than the Vehicle Specific tC sub. Do you have a tube in your trunk? If so, you have the wrong equipment and they need to swap it out for you.
    I had some time to kill while waiting for a Portland dealership to discover that ALL tCs have only the centre portion of the third brake light that works. Weazell is right-on about the subwoofer making it nigh onto impossible to easily get to the spare. It - the sub - covers a big end of the cargo floor with little wiggle room for extraction.

Now, we need to find an effective way to get to Toyota/Scion about these engineering oversights: a) subwoofer destroying the ease of getting to the spare; b) a seat that won't slide back far enough for a real person to drive it (Highlander is the same way); and c) a light that makes anyone following you think, "Here is a brand new car with defective lights." ... Ooops! I forgot the infamous works-sometimes lid on the radio compartment.
  • dat2dat2 Posts: 242
    There is plenty of seat travel, at least for the driver (I've never been a passenger). I had my tC for a month now. Most other cars I've pushed the seat almost to the end of the travel to have my legs fairly streched out. In the tc there is PLENTY of seat travel...several clicks left
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "...a seat that won't slide back far enough for a real person to drive it..."

I've got a Celica that was in today for an oil change. While I was in the showroom, I tried on a tC for size (I've got a 36" inseam) and, at first, I was dismayed to find out that the available front seat legroom was pretty stingy. My knees were really bent and the salesman checked twice to see that the seat was all the way back. It was.

But then the salesman noted that the seat was too high (seperate lever on side of seat). It was all the way up. He ratcheted the seat down WHICH ALSO MOVED IT BACK. I then got back in the car.

It was like night and day. I found that I fit just fine.
  • 05tc05tc Posts: 4
    I've read that the center third of the brake lights has been working. Does anyone know if there is a service bulletin on fixing the problem. Otherwise, I think having a new car with a broken center light would look tacky and I would be inclined to wait until Scion fixed the problem in production before purchasing one (if there is not a service bulletin)
    It seems that having just 1/3 of this light is "the way it is." It DOES look more than tacky. I was really amused when the service manager said, "that can't be right." It is the same with the left side of the cargo cover on all the tCs I have looked at. The right side pulls tight and the left has a bad case of the droops. The brightness of the light in the little cubby at the bottom of the "waterfall" section of the dash is quite distracting at night - yes, I have the dash lights turned down. I love the car but it has several little things that scream CHEAP louder than quality. Those of who have this first generation will just have to live with its faults.
  • bigkidbigkid Posts: 5
    For those of you that live in Dallas,Tx. I have a question for those of you that have already taken delivery of your tC.

Looking at my copy of the sales invoice, I notice that they were going to charge me several fees, that I didn't find reasonable?

1) CARFAX fee for my Trade-in $25.00
    2) Value Package Fee $189.00
    3) Deputy Service Fee $ 5.00

Besides the pre-printed Doc fee the Value Pack. fee has also been pre-printed.

Of all the fees I mentioned upon... are any of those disputable charges that I can have removed?

Thanks everyone!

I taking delivery of my new Flint Mica 5spd hopefully in about a week!

-BigKid
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    I though dealerships have a membership for unlimited searches.
  • bigkidbigkid Posts: 5
    For those of you that live in Dallas,Tx. I have a question for those of you that have already taken delivery of your tC.

Looking at my copy of the sales invoice, I notice that they were going to charge me several fees, that I didn't find reasonable?

1) CARFAX fee for my Trade-in $25.00
    2) Value Package Fee $189.00
    3) Deputy Service Fee $ 5.00

Besides the pre-printed Doc fee the Value Pack. fee has also been pre-printed.

Of all the fees I mentioned upon... are any of those disputable charges that I can have removed?

Thanks everyone!

I taking delivery of my new Flint Mica 5spd hopefully in about a week!

-BigKid
  • The only fee that I am being asked to pay is $95.00 doc fee. Pretty cheap. I'm in Mass.
  • markg4markg4 Posts: 44
    they reviewed the tc in this sundy's chicago tribune. it was an auto but it was made out to sound more like a non si civic than a sporty coupe imo. not much kick under 30 mph, doesn't handle like a sports car despite the 17" wheels, is made to be an economy car not a sports coupe. not a very glowing assement.
  • 05tc05tc Posts: 4
    Does anyone know how man tCs will be produced per year? And if so, how that number compares to other Toyota vehicle production rates (High, low, medium). I want a car that is different and will not be seen on every street corner like the camry.
    Do the math. My VIN indicates that my tC is number 12,145. They started selling them in late June. That looks like 7000+ per month. If they prove reliable, we're going to see as many of them as New Beetles.
  • WeazellWeazell Posts: 15
    The sub for the tC mounts in the rear quarter panel and takes very little - if anything - out of the the trunk. It sounds like the people in Bend installed the xB Bazooka TUBE rather than the Vehicle Specific tC sub. Do you have a tube in your trunk? If so, you have the wrong equipment and they need to swap it out for you.

-------------------------------------------------

Just to follow up . . .
    I do have the Bazooka sub but it is in the tC enclosure. It's the enclosure that is keeping me from being able to access the spare tire compartment.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,455
    MPG seems to be going up as the tC gets broken in (I'm up to about 1,500 miles now. Last 2 tanks were about 24 with very local driving (doubt I ever got more than 10 miles from my house). And just took a quick trip, and got 31.4 in a mix of highway (65-75 MPH), stopped on the highway (love that NJ Turnpike), back highways with lights (trying to avoid the NJT), and about 50 miles of local driving.

Someday I may even find out what a real highway trip will produce, but not on Sunday night in August on the NJT and GSP.

I have a 5 speed. No issues with the clutch in a traffic jam, nice and light.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• charchar Posts: 18
    I bought my tC 8/4 in FW, TX. No such fees. Only cost was T/T/L, inspection, and doc fee.

What is the "Value Package"?
  • carguy79carguy79 Posts: 23
    I work for the SOutheast Toyota affiliate and we were told that all Scions were going to be produced in far less numbers than their Toyota counterparts. They did not tell exactly how many. However, with the apparent success of the tC, I expect them to raise their number for 2006. Also we were told that Scion will not do many redesigns of current models, they will make all new vehicles.
  • katandokatando Posts: 4
    anyone have any idea about the availability of the tC now, as opposed to when they first arrived? after some long waiting, i've finally got the cash to go buy one, but i'm a little dismayed that i'll have to wait another 4-6 weeks.
    I just talked to someone at Scion and (their claim) it was the first he had heard about the lid on the radio seeming to have a mind of its own. So, if we want some of these pesky little problems addressed, we ALL need to start folders at Scion. (They seemed to think that the high brake light should ALL light but I was the first to question it.)
  • phxladyphxlady Posts: 3
    I'm one of those strange women who likes to drive a car with a manual transmission. Today I went into a Toyota dealer in Phoenix, AZ for a test drive. They only had 4 tc's on the lot; none of them were 5-speeds.

I did not drive any of the cars, but looked them over. They look great except for the black interior. If you live in Phoenix, you realize that a light colored upholstery is more important than the exterior color. Other than that, I really liked what I saw. Does anyone have any suggestions about seat covers or cushions that will lighten the inside. This is a huge concern for me. It was north of 110 degrees today, and I can't imagine driving a car with a black interior.

I may go back to looking at the Mazda3.

Also, has anyone purchased a Scion tc in Phoenix? What were your experiences with the dealerships? What did you pay?
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Projected build first year is 60,000 units which is about the same as the Toyota Solara. If enough customers take their tC's in to get the faults corrected at the dealership level,,..i.e.. stereo cover, then it will be documented and probably a new and improved cover will be used on the 2006 model. The third brake light was designed to work as it is working now with only the center leds lighting up. If you notice the design of the license plate area and where the light ends on either side, there is a design line that goes down from the end of the third light to the license plate area and the bumper. These cars are selling as soon as they hit the dealerships. Most are pre-sold especially the 5spds. The ones that aren't pre-sold are moving in 5 days or less.
                           : )
                         Mackabee
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    End of the month closeout. Still at work.
                     : )
                     Mackabee
    Does anyone have any suggestions about seat covers or cushions that will lighten the inside.

Go to Classic Soft Trim on line and find a dealer in your area. I had them install leather (very light grey - opal to them). They did the seats, console, side panels for $995. In Phoenix I would go for perforated leather in the centers for an extra $50.
This discussion has been closed.