Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion tC

Comments

• geneegenee Posts: 170
    I just checked out the floor mats at partznet. When you add in the shippping they want for a set of five, you are only $9 short of getting them locally. It did talk about the front mats being two layers. Take the carpet out for winter rains. First time I have heard about that feature - except for an on line site in one of the car mags. Any comments. Stickguy says the factory set is way cool but didn't mention the two-in-one thing.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,585
    I will have to take a look. If the carpet part comes out, I'm not aware of it.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• hc72hc72 Posts: 20
    Here is link to recent Car and Driver detailed review
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_- id=8288

7.4 sec 0 to 60. They also said that tC is almost just as fast as IS300 V6. Interesting...

By the way, Car & Driver posted that coefficient of drag for tc is 0.32 as compared to 0.28 for 2004 Camry. As suspected, this 14.3% drop is one of the main reasons for tC having less gas mileage when compared to Camry (even though it is smaller and weight less)
    Here are couple of Coefficient of Drag values that I found on the web for comparison.

2000 Mercedes C-Class .27
    2000 Mercedes C180 .26
    2000 Lexus LS430 .25 (dimpled chasis panels?)
    2001 Honda Insight .25
    2003 Toyota Camry SE .28
    2004 Infiniti G35 Sedan .27

Un fortunately, there is not much we can do to reduce CD. Covering the fog light holes similar to that of Subaru WRX STI might help.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat- _code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=06373196
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Those are some nifty mats! I wondered why there was a plastic section to them. I looked at a set on a tC that arrived this morning and the carpet section indeed does come off. Very ingenious. Wait till I tell my son about this feature.
                     :)
                        Mackabee
  • scootertrashscootertrash Posts: 698
    Did you miss the part of the Car and Driver review that mentioned that it's geared much lower than the Camry?
    Simple: More RPM = More gas consumption.
    Here is the quote from the article:
    "The Camry also donates to the tC its buttery five-speed manual, albeit with a revised linkage and shorter gear ratios and the optional four-speed auto."

Yes, gear ratios are shorter for 5 speed manual, but I believe that the 4 speed auto is unchanged.

Refer to the quote from this test drive: http://www.nctd.com/printversion-review.cfm?Vehicle=2005_Scion_tC- &ReviewID=1566
    "The transmission gearing in the automatic that we drove for this test is wholly unsuitable for bigtime acceleration, with an overall ratio of just over 10:1 (the first-gear ratio times the axle ratio), while the manual is almost 50 percent lower, almost 15:1, for maximum acceleration in first gear."

Camry automatic has better mileage (22/33) than TC automatic (23/30). You are right that RPM does affect the mileage but as it is not the only thing.

Mackabee,

The carpet can be removed during raining or snowing days to keep the carpet from getting soaked. It is probably not a big deal in Florida or California, where it is sunny most of the time.

However, in Northwest (Oregon) it rains all the time during fall, winter, and spring. Sunny is very dry on the other hand. That is a very neat and valuable feature here. Unfortunately, Scion only applied it to the front seat mats.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    For 2005, the Camry gets a 5-speed automatic on the 4 cylinder models. I wonder why the tC only has a 4-speed?
    The mileage gap between the tC and the Camry will likely widen even further.
    Maybe the 2006 tC will get a the new 5-speed automatic.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "I wonder why the tC only has a 4-speed?"

$$$$$$$

8^)
    Yet another reason to get the stick.

Also, I played with the carpet mats today, and darned if you can't peel the carpet piece out, leaving a rubber all-weather mat. Even has a lip (from where it holds the carpet) to drap water.

Might just have to use this feature in the winter. Should greatly extend the life of the carpet, and mayber be cheaper to replace in the future (assuming you can just buy the carpet refill).

ANother neat trick: the inside lights dim up and down. When you open the door, they don't go to full bright, instead the start low and then get brighter (like pushing a dimmer switch up). Same thing in reverse when they go out.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• ghghghgh Posts: 11
    hc72, your citation/quotation from NCTD was a little misleading -- a "however" immediately follows the quoted text in the original. The full quote reads as follows:

"The transmission gearing in the automatic that we drove for this test is wholly unsuitable for bigtime acceleration, with an overall ratio of just over 10:1 (the first-gear ratio times the axle ratio), while the manual is almost 50 percent lower, almost 15:1, for maximum acceleration in first gear. However, the automatic does move out smartly, it's obviously much easier to live with in gooey traffic, and will get significantly better highway mileage than the manual, which is saddled with a very low 4.235 axle ratio. No complaints on the powertrain. "
    Sorry, I am not trying to say that automatic is bad. As a matter of fact, I am getting a tC with automatic. It is much more convinient in the long term even though it cost $800 more. Other people in the house does not know how to drive a stick.

I was trying to show that the automatic gearing is from 2004 Camry. Ironically, as 307web noted, the 2005 Camry is now available in 5 speed automatic. This makes sense since Accord (main competitor for Camry) has the 5 speed auto. I wonder whether the new 5 speed for the Camry can be a drop-in replacement for the tC. Control chip would have to be changed though.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Not to mention a big and I mean big repair bill from your local Toyota/Scion dealer. Not worth it IMHO.
                   : D
                         Mackabee
  • I'm looking at getting a Tc. I was wondering if anyone here knew what the deal was with payments. since its a 4-6 week wait to get it, do you start paying immediatly(sp) or on Delivery? if so, can you postpone the Down Payment? i was just wondering cause if you can i can save, and drop more money down on arrival of the car. let me know. Thanks
    you don't pay until the car arrives and you do the paperwork to take ownership. If it is going to be 4-6 weeks wait, the most you will need to do is leave a deposit (normally not more than $500), although some dealers may not even require that. Of course, the deposit counts as part of your down payment.

Often, dealers will take the deposit against a credit card, and not even bother to put the charge through. It's really just done to make you feel like it is "your" car, and to keep you from shopping (or getting on the waiting list) at other dealers.

with the tC, you shouldn't have to worry about getting the deposit back if for some reason you can't take the car, since they should have no problem selling it to someone else.

• So pretty much i can go and order it today, and they wont ask for a Deposit untill Delivery? I would go ask, but i work all weekend, and wont have a chance to drop in till Monday. What do the actual owners think of the car? i loved it the second i saw it, and am going to test drive it on monday. Let me know what you think, Pros and Cons. It would be awesome to buy now and pay later, that way i'll be able to drop more down to pay less each month.

Doesnt anyone think its odd that the floor mats are a Standard Option? kind of an oxymoron. i was told that i was going to have to pay the $145 for the mats as an option, but i had to get it with the car. Very Odd. if there is a way to avoid them, i wouldnt mind going to Costco and getting a pair for $20
    scroll back in this thread. There are quite a few posts from owners, but if you still have specific questions, post them.

Go and test drive, and if you want one, the dealer wil work out the details, but pretty much you won't have to come up with any real $$ until it arrives.

The mats are not required. They actually come in a bag, and the dealer installs them when they prep the car. SO, if you really don't want them, just tell the dealer yo don't want them. But, they are really nice mats, custom fit to the car (including a trunk rug), and even have removable carpet sections in the front mats.

• I am going to be buying the tC and wanted to thank all of you for an excellent posting site! Your advice has been invaluable and I am confident this car is for me. While there has been much discussion about manuals, and only recently talk of automatics, I wanted to know how they have faired? I live in Southern California and have awful traffic to deal with so an automatic is my best choice - is it advisable to wait till next years models come out? Also, on a side note, I don't think anyone has mentioned the tC's likeness to the Infinity G35 - it's another way it looks ultra-stylish. Thanks again for all of the tips...
  • Is the Factory Deck (pioneer) powerfull enough, and even equipped to run an aftermarket sub? i have my own sub and amp, i would just have to do all the wiring. i know some stock radios arent adequate enough to handle the Amp and Sub, so the sounds get muffled. anyone have a System in their tC? or have heard one? let me know.
    auto: I didn't drive one, but from what I have heard, it is perfectly fine. Just drive it, and if you like it, no reason to wait until next year due to the tranny.

Radio: I just have the stock system, but it sounds plenty powerful to me. I believe that there is a sub option available from the dealer, so I imagine that it must be set up for easy plug and play. But, I'm not an audio expert, and it's been a long time since I had anything but stock.