Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion tC

Comments

• Thanks axiom. I did go to that site. They listed the destination charge under a diff name and that confused me. :)
  • 6020160201 Posts: 6
    I bought my tC Friday. Black, 5 speed, dealer options included- floor mats, autodimming mirror, and mud guards - total 17,062, plus taxes etc= 18,350. Note: dealer didn't have options in stock, but should be in soon. I wrote a check out, although they asked, no pressure to buy other options, extended warranty, or financing, etc. I was lucky to find a car in stock. Often dealers I called would tell me they have a tC in but when I would go there, they would say, sorry, its sold, but would be happy to order on for 10 week delivery. One dealer showed me a tC with $5,000 worth of options.
    Dealer in Park Ridge IL, was more straight forward on the phone. I went down there and drove off with it in just a few hours.
    So far I love my tC and I'd recommend it anyone,but its not easy to find them out there.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,272
    At least one error (gotta read that owners manual folks!). The drivers seat does have a memory, and it works fine. You just have to use the upper lever correctly.

The passenger seat will return to the same for-aft position, but you have to hold the lever to get the backrest angle where it was.

In any case, if you constantly have rear seat passengers, you most likely will have a 4 door. I take my kids quite often, and really have no problems with getting them in/out, although it is a little different having to hold the door open, but that's the price you pay for the "sporty" 2 door styling.

I also don't notice all these buttons (although I agree about the radio ones). There are only a few, all logical and easy to use (except the radio).

I also can't imagine getting less than 15 on a tankful. That must have been nothing but creeping along and idling. I get about 21-22 in strictly around town, which does include a fair amount of stop and go (local road, not highway) and no long stretches.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• jl637jl637 Posts: 4
    I went to test drive a tc and was given one w/ the added exhaust and it was lowered w/ the body effects. It was fun to drive, but that won't be the car I'm getting. I asked if they would have "regular" ones for test drive, and they said no. Is this common? I've gone to 2 dealers already and haven't had the chance to test drive an automatic w/o all the frills.
  • Here's a quick poll that probably isn't deserving of its own board...

If you had about $22k to drop on a car which would you buy, the supercharged tC or the Cobalt SS Supercharged and why? These are the two cars at the top of my list for this spring.
    probably neither. I don't think that much power will work real well through the front wheels. If pushed, take the tC, since it is a superior car in base form.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• tlcmantlcman Posts: 220
    saabs been making it work 250 plus.. tC is 200 with supercharger
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,284
    Overall I liked it. To owners, I have a practical question: Does the lack of a rear window wiper causes any issues in everyday use e.g. in the rain?
  • I don't think it's a problem at all. I've driven my tC in the rain several times and in the snow once, and never wished I had a rear window wiper. The defroster on the rear window worked well, too.
    I would prefer to have a wiper, but it hasn't been too bad yet. The defroster does work well, but I haven't been in snow yet.

The tC has more of a coupe/sedan window angle anyway, but I think all cars should have a rear wiper, not just hatchs/wagons!

• Well, I've been driving my tC for about 7 weeks now and love it, indigo, side air bags, stick, and have finally come upon one very, very unique and strange quirk about this model. Everyone knows about the one-touch power windows(up and down). They have the new safety feature of not closing if they is something impeding the progress of the window as it goes up. This is a very nice feature, unless you are going 80+ mph. YOU CANNOT CLOSE YOUR WINDOWS COMPLETELY ABOVE 80 mph, its impossible, tried it numerous times at different speeds, 80 is the magic #. The windows will go nearly 98% of the way up, and then go right back down. My guess is it has something to do with the wind pressure on the windows at that speed. Anyway, thought it would be a neat conversation piece, those of you that own one, hop on the interstate and try to prove me wrong...I bet you won't. Enjoy your tC, I do.
  • ones like that one. That's a good sign! I still have my far-reaching eyes on a 5-speed Black Cherry Pearl tC. If Scion makes the stereo controls larger while I'm getting ready to pull the trigger that would be all right, eh? Great looking coupe, I'm gonna call it a sports coupe, too.

The tC does what the original Celica introduced in America did to my eyes. It invites a closer look, and when you look, you like what you see. 0-60 in 7.4 seconds? Is that really true, dudes? Anybody checked that out in their tC?

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• dat2dat2 Posts: 242
    Yes mid 7s in the 0-60 race seems about right. It is a quick car, mainly because of the short gearing and healthy output from 2.4. I went from a '96 Nissan 240sx and the tC feels slightly quicker overall. Sadly the handling still can't match the rear-drive fancy of the 240!! I didn't think I would miss it that much. Otherwise the tC is an amazing car, an absolute bargain all things considered. The TRD exhaust is nice and the cold air intake will be nice when it comes out.
  • how much was the TRD exhaust? Did it come as a factory installed option or did you take it somewhere and have it installed?

I agree, this tC has me watching it close because of it's build quality, great looks and driving excitement quotient. Add to that great initial price-pointing along with the fact that I don't really need any options added to the already impressive standard features list.

I also like this xA RS 1.0 car they're currently selling. In Absolutely Red it looks great with the trim sport profile tires and nice wheels. I have learned that when they sell all 1,550 of those red ones that's it and next year they will release the xA RS 2.0 in Blue color. Some early complaints with the xA are lack of power(it has the 105 horse 4 cyl)and kind of a bumpy ride because of the Sport tires and stiff suspension. Usually those complaints are buffered with more postive comments than total negative ones and the car retails for only $15,500 with the extra goodies already on it from the factory. The tC and xA 2.0 have my full attention. Almost. The 2005 Kia Sportage will be fighting against them for becoming my next baby.

• Cobalt SS -

Factory tuned handling (I'm guessing it will be better, I haven't driven one yet)

Faster

more sales = more aftermarket support

Better looking (personal preference)

tC Supercharged -

Resale

TRD support (which has the negative of being extremely expensive)

I think the SS will be the higher performance vehicle, and the car I would rather own. (having not driven either)
    aftermarket tuners have really gon after the tC there are alot of people out there developing turbo systems (already avalible) and most anything else for the tC.

This might be true for the cobalt to but in my opinion the styling has an old honda Civic look to it and im not sure about the options but loading the chevy with options to equal the tC in price and feel is going to be pretty tough.
    sephia1...TRD exhaust was purchased after the initial car purchase...at mcgeorge toyota in virginia (www.mcgeorgetoyota.com), because they were selling the part for almost half the dealer i purchased it from (oxmoor toyota in louisville), for like $355, plus mcgeorge installed it for only $30, it would have cost $200 to install at oxmoor (they are a big time rip off)...
  • reports the last coupla days in your Scion tC? How are yours holding up?

I live in Louisville and we have had it the last few days. Overall, the tC is very good in the snow/ice. It is stable and has decent grip and doesn't get bogged down real easily. It is impressive really considering the clearance and tires/wheels!
  • I know of a person in Pocatello, Idaho who owns a Camry and a tC. He says the tC does an admirable job in the snow, much better than the Camry does. He's going to park the Camry for a while.

• Right now I have a 2001 Maxima which I am not trading in. Can anybody give me their buying experience with the tC? I'll have two payments to deal with, but I want to have some info before I go into this. I think this would make a great second car for gas purposes. Did you get a good price? I don't want any options as of yet because it comes with so much. Just wheel locks.

Thanks,
    "a great second car for gas purposes"

A tC is not going to impress you with gas milage, but if you mean like the power you get from it you will get a grin on your face. 20Mpg Rough average, but will dip into the teens
  • gtwgtw Posts: 46
    My wife has the 04 Maxima and the daughter has the 05 tC. Both are great cars. tC is a nice little play toy. I enjoy driving it from time to time. Gas mileage is not that good. 23 in the city is good if you are getting that.
  • I just put a deposit down on a maroon tc with the side air bags, manual transmission. I did really like the Saturn-like pricing, I've never been a good negotiator. I also liked having the option of adding on things later on when I have more cash and not adding it to the purchase price right away. The aftermarket thing I think is a good idea for Toyota.

Like someone said above it definitely does remind me of the old Celicas. My mom had a 1980 celica and it had a similar rounded rear and back window. I think that car was longer though, I remember being able to get actually human beings in the back. I drove that car when I was in high school 10 years later. I'm replacing my '00 celica which became flooded and died an premature death.

I drove one yesterday, it was the mechanic's car, no one had any tC's on their lots, they don't sit for very long. The only thing I didn't like was the quality of the materials on the dashboard, it looked a little cheap and that little radio cover is cute, but I didn't think too necessary. But for the price I think it's a good deal. Hopefully I won't regret the mediorce gas mileage.
  • Thanks for the feedback. Right now I'm putting premium in the Maxima and I drive a little over 50 miles to work. ONE WAY. So I'm trying to investigate different cost saving measures, including a new job.:) It would seem the tC should get the same or better mileage. I would like to only have to get gas twice a week instead of three times a week. By the way, I try not to get below half a tank.

But I still like that tC.
    if you run the tank closer to empty you will get batter gas milage due to your car being lighter.

and in the winter run with half to a full tanke for added traction

just a thought.
  • I am purchasing a Scion TC, which comes with 17" alloy wheels. I am considering upgrading to 18" wheels with low-profile tires. What are the advanteges and disadvantages of doing so with respect to ride quality, durability and handling (dry, wet, snowy conditions)?

Thanks so much!
  • After the February Motor Trend, looks like the Cobalt SS is definitely the more sporting of the two cars - and possibly the most sporting FWD car you can buy.

I think the tC is a good buy if it is exactly what you want.
  • pcrpcr Posts: 15
    After owning a Chevy truck and a Cavalier, Chevrolet is going to have to bring quality up a whole lot higher than just "greatly improved" before I'd buy from them again. They've got lots to make up for.

I remember when a college buddy bought a Renault Alliance, partly because Motor Trend gave it "Car of the Year." Bwa ha ha ha ha.

For most of the time that he owned it, the Alliance featured "No Wheel Drive." The transmission's electronic "brain" would refuse to provide power to any of the wheels, thereby ensuring 100% traction, even at the vehicle's top speed (zero).