Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion tC

Comments

• 06tcer06tcer Posts: 2
    and am in LOVE LOVE LOVE. The steering wheel controls, iPod, dual sunroofs, cool wheels are all new to me. I totally don't fit the demographic as I'm a 40 yr old emptynester but dang I look so cute in it (jk).

I got all the extras on the car including ground effects kit and spoiler. The spoiler does block your rear view a bit - but I'll adjust. I love the quik get up & go even with the air running full blast. It has a bit of a hesitation but finds its power pretty darn quick.

Check it out & tell me what you think. TFL.

http://groups.msn.com/HeresYourFriends/mynewscion.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=870
  • aeroluvraeroluvr Posts: 42
    Thanks again for posting info...especially about the spoiler in this thread. I am very short and I know when I test drove a Mitsu Eclipse the spoiler on that thing blocked a substantial part of my view so I will go with the lip spoiler only on the TC.

I wonder what others feel about the gauges on the dash..to me they seem very drab (as did Mitsubishi ones)...compared to several other cars I looked at. Do you all agree? Talking about the speedometer, etc.

Looked at a friend's new Civic today...yes a lot less engine but it sure looked sharp but didn't have some of the goodies the TC does on either side of the hood LOL.

About the ground effects..does that give the car less ground clearance? I have a steep driveway as I posted before and my 240SX bites it often, my Z3 sometimes so just wondering.

To me my Nissan 240SX had it all...but alas after 13 years I gotta move on....
    Hi just wondering if anyone had a good experience with a particular Scion dealer in Orange County CA (North OC if possible or Central)? I will be ordering a 2006 with lots of options, yes I'm picky and I want to deal with competent, friendly folks. Any input would be greatly appreciated. So far have heard of a few GREAT AZ ones but that's a bit too far LOL. Also will want to use for service as well.
    Also..does anyone know what the paint cutout looking circles are on the front bumper just above where the fog lights go in below on the grille? They are VERY CLEAR on pics on scion.com page and you can see one on Kelly's pics in picture 6. I thought those were pre-cutouts for fog lights but then saw on the pics above and on the site the fog lights are put down below on the grille sides? Seems weird to me...anyone know what those are? Are they "stamped" with something?
    Ooops hit enter too soon..on Kelly's it seems only visible on the driver's side but if you go to Scion.com and go through the build a car photos there are clearly TWO circle cutouts on the front bumper....if they are intentional what are they and why is there seemingly only one on Kelly's?
  • My '06 has the "cutout" only on the drivers side. It is actually a snap on cap that covers a tie-down point for shipping the cars. With the cap removed a screw-in eyebolt is used as a tie-down point during shipment. The rear is secured via the bracket welded to the rear crossmember. This cap is fairly common on Japanese and German cars ie. the New Beetle and Mazda RX8 to name just two.
    Wonder why the scion.com site shows one on each side. I also wonder why they have to tie down during shipment in a manner that involves messing with the integrity/appearance/surface of the car. I've owned German/Japanese cars all my life and never had the "circle" before...looks kinda silly in my opinion. One would THINK they could figure out another way to secure the vehicle for shipment! Anyway, thanks for the response....
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    Really. Nor is it rare. As said before those knockouts are on much more expensive cars. Just another way of doing something. Hardly noticeable.
  • I suspect that Scion being as bright as they seem to be, may have tested the left vs. right placement of the " shipping hook " and that was the pic you viewed on scion.com....probably a prototype. Keep in mind; the height-off-ground of a vehicle would influence how it can be secured during transatlantic shipment...too...if vehicles are being shipped West to East on the Pacific vs. East to West in the Atlantic, then a entirely new equation exits (ie. which side gets the hole for load shift and currents?)... any vehicle being tranported via ship that does not have the "circle" will have an undercarriage attachment point. A good body shop can fill-in the "circle"....or buy U.S. junk and not worry about it.
    My Nissan has a much less obvious undercarriage "hook"...it in no way involves the painted surface of the vehicle. Had three Nissans..all had the same..VW before that..not sure but it didn't have any cutouts.

The pics on scion.com per their email to me are actual shots of 2006 TC model (only TC has updated 2006 pics) - this is in both the "build your own" section and the gallery.

Anyway..thanks again for the info!
    In 2001 I almost bought a fully loaded Mitsu Spyder but for less than two grand more I got a very loaded BWW Z3 so that is my "fun" car.

My other/practical car is a Nissan 240SX 1993 which I LOVE. I've had it this long because I've never had any problems with it and I've never found a car I liked as much.

That being said...age is catching up with 'er and while I love the convertible BMW for long trips and "fun" I need a more practical/affordable everyday car now.

As most have seen here, I am very interested in the Scion TC but just saw the new 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS which is comparable in many ways now including engine size, horsepower, tire size (Mit a bit wider?) and even audio on the steering wheel..with the incredible option package that includes a 650 watt stereo that is.

So...I'd love any input or discussion on this comparison. Compared to the 2005 Eclipse..the TC was for sure the winner...the 2006 not so sure now..mainly because now they really are much more comparable, at least when I "build" them each with everything I want. And yeah I'm a sucker for powerful stereo systems.

The TC wins though for being a bit more roomy in the back seat AND for cargo hauling with my favorite...HATCHBACK. And if I get that stereo and other upgrades package in the Mitsu...it includes a huge component that goes in the trunk..one reason I wasn't gonna get the subwoofer in the TC.

I priced them both out with ALL options I would want. My TC gets to about $20K, the Eclipse GS right at $22K. Both have MP3 player, steering wheel audio controls, etc. I don't own an IPOD so no concern there.

A couple of questions I hope folks can answer here for me. I am very short...and in test drives of Eclipse's / Spyders before..I noticed a huge problem with lack of visibility out of the rear window due to the curve and what used to be a way too tall spoiler...like the pedastal one offered for the TC. The 2006 Eclipse GS still has the odd curve/shaped windown but the huge spoiler looks to be gone and replaced by a lip one similar to what is available also for the TC.

Would LOVE to hear from other SHORT women re: the TC (and/or 2006 Eclipse if they've tested one out). And from anyone who has reviewed the 2006 models for both vehicles. THANKS!
  • axiomowneraxiomowner Posts: 76
    The cutout is also for towing the vehicle in the event that you need such a service. I.e. It gets pulled onto a flat-bed via this point. It's explained quite well in the owners manual.
  • Hey guys I was wondering how much extra horse power average does the trd exhuast give my Scion tC, thanks
    In addition to comparing to Mitsubishi Eclipse GS, also would like to hear thoughts comparing 2006 Mustang to TC....and I too wonder about the exhaust option...price seems high to be just cosmetic. The above person might be asking about another exhaust but I'd like to know about the Scion option..is it just "pretty"?
  • got_vtecgot_vtec Posts: 22
    It is probably worth looking at those two cars (Eclipse and Mustang), but I don't think I can do it. The Scion should be a lot more reliable. I can't decide if I even like the new Mustang styling either.

As for powerful stereo systems, I like wiring custom systems. (I wonder how hard it would be to integrate an aftermarket amp into, for example, the base system? That way, you'd still have the controls on the wheel....) If you like bass, you can pretty easily add a subwoofer onto an existing system too... but I have to admit, I like the "hidden" subwoofer design for the Scion. Less mess.

I think that the tC is a neat car. I've just about convinced myself that it has enough passenger room in the back seat (though I want to look at that again), but as others have said earlier in the topic, I wish it had a bit more performance. I would like to try a manual shift model, though. In the smaller cars, sometimes manual makes a big difference. (Unfortunately, the local dealer has virtually nothing to look at, much less a manual...)

I think if I were stuck with a <$20k price, this would be my top pick, but I can afford something more as well. I just have a problem spending a lot of money on a car. :-) Ah, decisions, decisions....
    Got vtec..sounds like we are in the same boat..I could go the extra few thousand but don't really want to..especially since I bought the Z3 for my "fun" splurge in 2001. So this car needs to be practical.

I still wonder WHY OH WHY Nissan quit the 240SX hatchback line..the reliability factor and resale value alone justifies it. I waited for YEARS to see what they would come up with only to be hugely disappointed with the 350...too much money, too little car (as is space, etc).

Neither of the other two have the hatchback which I don't know if I could "live" without...the cargo abilitiy with it is truly amazing...even though trunks have seats that fold down too there is usually a "hard top" that limits the true vertical cargo space.
  • I too have the means to buy just about any car I want under 50K... but I don't place that much importance on a car... got a mortgage you know... but I traded in my full size dodge 1500 extended cab super truck for a 5 speed manual tC (autos IMO in a sports car are for gilrs)... I did this because of gas prices and the distance to and from work... 70miles round trip every day... To answer your question about roominess... I have 3 children 12years, 10 years and 2 years plus my wife... we were all able to pack into the tC for a 1200 mile trip from the twin cities to austin tx... the rear is better for 2 when your dealing with full size people but it has the most leg room i've ever seen in a small car... the back seat is lacking abit in head room for people taller than 6' though... with the caviat that the back seats recline to kinda deal with that... The front seat is very roomy for the legs... again you have to lean the seat back to gain head room...I'm 6'2" and this is the first car that I have ever owned where i had to move the seat up to reach the peddles...as far as power... well if you understand that this is a compact... not to be compaired with eclipsis or mustangs... it has 160hp in a small body... I am somewhat of a speed deamon and i have raced a few punk kids in mini cooper S's and smoked em', civic Si and smoked em', acura rsx beat me by a bit... not as bad as i thought he would though.... what i'm getting at is for the price I can smoke the tires in 1st and second gear with a respectible 3 gear scratch... I'm gonna need new tires soon... but sense I saved soooo much money on this car I can afford it... I suggest that you really shop around... only then will you see the value of the tC... Lots of cars to choose from in this class but bigger sticker prices for less creature comforts... :)
  • If you talk to the dealer he told me that it doesn't add any extra horse power... its for looks and sound... i have tried alot of little things to increase hp such as cold air intake, super spark plugs... nothing is noticable... if you want more hp get a different car or go for a supercharger or turbo system.... thats really the only way you will feel a real difference... you can also tub out your car... make it much lighter... :shades:
    Does the exhaust option create a very loud exhaust sound? Just wondering as in CA they frown on that and besides..I'm a bit too old to put out the "racer" signal LOL. That being said I liked the LOOK of it...and other cars offer a chrome exhaust but for a lot less which is why I wondered what else this exhaust offered...well if anyone on here gets it...let us know how LOUD is LOUD OK?
  • just wondering if anyone knows what'll be new with the '07 Tc, and when it will be released. I'm planning to buy a Tc in a month or two, and am debating whether I sould wait 10 months or so for the 07 to come out.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    Expect '07 models of the Tc to come out around July or August of 2006.

Ken
  • I If you do end up buying from Az. Steer clear of Right Toyota!!!!! I live in Scottsdale and just bought a Tc from there. Great car, I love it. Unfortunately, can't say the same about the service. Awful, Awful experience!!!! Good Luck, hopefully better than mine!! :)
  • lelandleland Posts: 2
    I just got an '06 tC, and I'm obsessed. I want to make some major modifications, but I had a whole bunch of particular questions. I'm a new member here, so I'm not sure what the accepted level of detail in questions is, but first off I wanted to add some major horsepower to the car, and I have been told by several people that a supercharger (I would assume the TRD one that is coming out) or a turbocharger (from an independent manufacturer, do any even exist?) is the way to go if I want a big jump in HP.

I also want the car to be LOUD, and the current variable-valve muffler doesnt nearly cut it. I used to have an old '98 eclipse that I put a 2.5" cat-back exhaust with Magnaflow double-walled muffler, but it always sounded a little tinny and not quite as powerful as I wanted. I know its a small engine, but would putting straight-pipes (no muffler at all) on the car either improve the sound quality/volume or kill the horsepower by removing backpressure on the engine? Or maybe an unforseen benefit/drawback that I don't know about? I hope I put that simply enough.

I'm also brimming with questions about installing a body kit (and recommendations/opinions on which ones are alright), interior and undercarriage lighting and wiring that I already own and just need to install in some sort of custom switch panel that I would want to build (and the possibility of putting it on an independent power system somehow), installing an existing 2-amp/2-sub/capacitor stereo system that I already own, while keeping the stock head unit (which kicks [non-permissible content removed]), maximum rim size (I was looking at some 19" white motegis to put on the black car...will they fit or rub? what if I lower 1.2"?) tinting the windows, putting on lambo doors, and all sorts of other annoying questions.

Let me know if any of you want to get very in depth with this car for the next year or so. I've got enough cash to do this car right, and I want to do most, if not all, of the work myself, and I want to try and innovate in as many areas as possible.

Looking forward to your feedback and hoping somebody else is as pumped about tuning their tC as I am. ;)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,707
    this is a cool looking bodykit for the tC IMO. What'd'ya think?

http://groups.msn.com/HeresYourFriends/mynewscion.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=870

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• lelandleland Posts: 2
    Thats the standard ground effects kit that comes as an option to be installed when you buy your tC...I was looking to get either the Kaminari kit or the wider bodied grand touring kit (probably polyurethane). The standard is nice, but I want to be a bit closer to the ground haha. Anybody see anything really sweet out there?
  • mononeomononeo Posts: 89
    I WAS a Hyundai guy all the way... All of my family drives them or Hondas (and they are more reliable than Hondas, just to let you know). I used to get everyone looking for cars to get one. Then I discovered Hyundai/Kias corporate policies that are unfair to workers, as are Hondas. For example, Hyundai and Honda do not extend domestic partner benefits to gay workers' families.... SORRY! I am not going to spend $20000 on a car from a corporation that treats certain people as second class citizens. Upon looking into things, there were three main car companies that treat their workers the best.

FORD, GM, and TOYOTA are the best car companies in terms of how they treat their workers and customers. This is the conclusion I came to through my research.

So while I was going to buy either a 2006 Hyundai Sonata V6 or 2006 Honda Accord EX-V6, I found it immoral to support such immoral companies. There's nothing GM or Ford have right now, however, that interests me in the slightest, so I looked at Toyota's portfolio. SCION! After really laying my eyes on the tC and experiencing it, I have fallen in love. I am going to order one next week. 2006 Scion tC manual w/ airbags, iPod connectivity, and XM sattelite radio. I couldn't be more excited.

I can't see throwing $20,000 at a car company that denies workers basic rights. Honda and Hyundai can have their cars! Toyota is going to have my business for a long time.

MORAL OF THE STORY: You can't just make good cars. You have to be a good corporation, or nothing you do means anything to some people.

GO TOYOTA!
  • mononeomononeo Posts: 89
    Does anyone have the TYC LED lights for the tC yet? I have seen them online but not in person. What are they like? Does anyone have pictures?
  • I want to upgrade my stereo but I don't even know where to start. I have an iPod that transmits wirelessly over the radio, so volume is cut down by about 25%. Therefore I want some pretty loud speakers, ones that are definitely louder than what's stock, and ones that are exceptionally clear.

Stopped by at Circuit City and they showed me some Infinity's that weren't too bad and were about $120. I'm looking for something in that range plus a good sub for the back. Sub = No more than $160, Speakers = No more than $180.

Anyone have ideas for me and what's worked on your tC?

tccowboy :mad: :confuse:
  • sean1sean1 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the post!! I already knew that about Honda, but Hyundai wasn't on my radar.....I too want to buy a reliable, safe, good-bang-for-the-buck, decent handling car from a company I hope treats all with respect. Your post has been a big help to me!!!! Sean
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,638
    just did a round trip from Phila. to NY (the Mets game) today. Got about 31.25. For a change, hardly spent any time in traffic, so a large part was actually moving at speed!

Ran about 70-75 much of the way, with a fair bit of time at 75-78, so was not trying to eek out the best mileage.

Just out of curiosity, I took a quick run to 85. Pulled real well from 75-85, and felt nice and stable. You did hear the engine working pretty hard, since it was up close to 4K at that point.

IMO, 75 is about the highest comfortable cruising speed, and even that feels a bit busy. It really seems to like to settle in at 65-68, and feels like work to go faster.

I guess the same short gearing that lets it pull quick from 75-85 w/o a downshift is responsible for the rest of the symptoms. I really think they could drop top gear RPMs by 10%-20% and still have plenty of performance on the highway with this engine.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

This discussion has been closed.