Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion tC

Comments

• Base MSRP for a base TC is $15,950.

OTD MSRP includes the Destination Charge of $515, which gives you the grand total price of $16,465.

Good luck trying to get a dealer to not charge you the destination charge.

If you want to go into details, according to Edmunds, the base invoice for a TC is $15,152

I don't have a problem with paying msrp for the car itself, only wish they would give a discount on the accessories. But then again, why would they since that's where most dealers make their money.
  • that clears it up. Thank you. The car is still a great price and I'll be getting the manual trannied one anyway, so a tad less than the automatic tranny tC.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• jcfjcf Posts: 35
    Exactly right bobotheclown - 15950 + 515 = $16465 for everyone, plus doc fee, title, registration, and tax. Darn, I like the easy questions too.

Previous discussions here complained of doc fees of up to $600. It seems to vary per state and dealer. In San Diego its fixed at $45.

Being a persistent haggler, I've never paid much over invoice for a car, so paying the MSRP on the tC hurt. But, its MSRP price just about matches the Mazda 3's invoice price, so I've accepted it.

I was seriously tempted last month to forgo my tC preference. First, Ford was running ridiculous rebates and dealer incentives on the 04 Focus, selling base models with AC for 3K UNDER invoice at $8777. I couldn't stomach the styling, but practicality and cost sure tempted me. Second, Honda's rebate program had new Civics with AC selling for $12500. Again, I couldn't accept the boring styling, but for quality, reliability, safety, and economy, that was certainly a good deal. Finally, one San Diego dealer, for one weekend, put an unprecedented sale on all Mazda 3i's. Seven of them with AC went for $12777 - about $1300 UNDER invoice. Had I not insisted on a sunroof and SAB's, I definitely would have chosen that deal over the tC.

It's always prudent to watch the sales. A good deal might come along to tempt you away from the tC. If they'd sell a Mini below MSRP, that'd be a temptation worth considering.
  • mssmss Posts: 12
    I'm curious to know how many RPMs both the manual and automatic do at highway speeds (let's say 75MPH). I currently own a 2003 Camry 4cyl with a 4 speed auto and it runs at 2,500 RPM at 75MPH. Does's the tC auto do the same? This will be my commuting vehicle and I'd like to get the 5 spd manual but I've heard that it rev's higher than the auto.
  • 719b719b Posts: 216
    i'm not doubting you only run 2500 rpm's at 75 mph, but that number seems very low to me. you sure it's not 3500 rpm's at 75 mph?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,367
    30 mph per 1000 prm in final drive for a Camry automatic sounds just about right. For the TC, with much shorter gearing, expect more like 23-25 mph per 1000 rpm - something like 3000 rpm at 75 mph, give or take...
    Thanks for the info, I'm assuming the 5 spd manual is even higher reving. Your calculation is correct, at 90mph the Camry runs at 3000rpm.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,602
    On the 5 speed, 3000 RPMs will get you about 60 MPH. Yes, given the nature of this engine (which doesn't midn being lugged, lots of torque down low), it is geared way shorter than it needs to be. It's still smooth at 3,500 RPM (about 75ish), but it would be perfectly happy and perform well at lower RPMs, not to mention getting better mileage.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• exzurexzur Posts: 166
    I drove my 5 spd tC to NYC last weekend. The tach shows 3,000 rpm when the speedo says 65 mph. At 90 mph, the tach needle pointer is almost at 4,000 rpm. Strong engine, very fast acceleration. I can feel the power.
  • 719b719b Posts: 216
    the last few posts seem to be on the money with rpm at mph. i still think there may have been an error when a post claimed a 4 cyl engine does 2500 rpm's at 75 mph. the engine would be lugging at 55 mph
    My bad. I made a typo. The tC does about 66 MPH @3000 RPM. Although my Miata was at about 60.

My wifes Quest does about 2,500 prm @75 mph. I actually think a 5 speed tC would be fine at that, but to be conservative, split the difference. 75 @3K.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

When I test drove the tC, I specifically wanted to know what the rpm's were at my normal highway cruising speed.

At 75 on the manual, the tach read 3 1/4 thousand. Given the car's low end torque, that may be higher than necessary, but its an improvement over my 91 Miata that pushes 4k at 75.

For better gas mileage, I wish they'd geared the car higher too. But, I reckon Toyota aimed to strike a balance between performance and economy. Let's hope gas doesn't move on up towards $100/brl.

I want to hear more real world gas mileage numbers from present owners.
    I get about 22 local, but I do a lot of real short-hop start/stop driving. I have gotten up to 24 local if I wander a little farther from home occassionally.

On the couple of trips I have taken, I have gotten between 30 and 33+ on different legs, not loafing when possible and a fari bit of traffic.

Overall, could be better, but not too bad. Certainly better than if it had a V6 and comparable performance, but not as good as if it was geared 10% lower.

Trust me on this one, I've been driving this car for over a year and it definitely runs at 2500rpm at 75mph. The transmission/engine in this car is awesome. I was really against buying the 4 cyl when I was looking at buying the car, but once I drove it I was sold. Good acceleration from any speed, smooth shifting and great gas mileage. That's why I am really leaning towards the tC, I'm hoping it about the same.
  • First tank of gas (AT) 25/75% city/hwy 28.3 MPH - 2nd tank, 10/90 city/hwy - 31 MPH both tanks topped off, hwy speeds varied between 55 & 85. Coming from a Jeep Liberty where I was lucky to get 17 MPH, I'm ecsatic. Just another way this car has exceeded my expectations. Time for another fill up and it's looking like the MPH is holding up.

While the city/hwy percentages are my best estimates, the MPH was calculated with precision.

I have over 700 miles on the car in 10 days and have loved every minute of it.

It's a BC auto, I waited 5 weeks and held out for only one color. When it's clean it can't be beat for looks. Great paint and it fits the vehicle well day or night.
  • I am completely new to automoblie tech. After reading xxx rpm at xx mph, is there a good or bad value of these number? ie. 5000rpm at 60mph compare to 3000rpm at 60. What it effect mpg, speed, power..etc?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,367
    All other things being equal, which they rarely are, you want the least amount of engine speed to give you the most road speed, especially in final gear.

That said, there are lots of reasons to move one way or another up or down the various possible extremes - small, higher revving engines don't like to be too lazy at highway speeds - they don't make enough power or torque to be responsive on demand. Larger, torquier engines tend to be geared higher to allow them to get good fuel consumption without sacrificing performance.

Every manufacturer has prejudices and practices that play out on individual models and drivetrains. I can assure you that no one wants to drive a road car that is doing 5000 rpm at 60 mph - the noise alone would drive you nuts, never mind the premature engine wear.

These days, 20 mph per 1000 rpm in final drive is about as short as it gets - there are some exceptions, but they are exceptions for good reason [some versions of the Miata, for example]; some larger American cars are geared as high as 33 mph (or more) per 1000 rpm. There really is no such thing as "typical" - in general, you want the least amount of engine speed that keeps the car feeling responsive, since lower engine speed translates to less noise, less wear, and less fuel used. But that leaves a lot of room for different cars to find different answers to the question...depends on how the car is intended to be used, and the intended audience.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    I do about 4000rpm and 70-72mph on my 88 MR2. Still get 30mpg combined! And this is on a daily basis.
                    : )
                    Mackabee
  • mackabee---didn't you know the car has FIVE speeds?
    Today, a 1.6 liter engine is expected to get great gas mileage, but my 91 Miata doing 4k at 75 gets only 26 mpg. I think the little horses are working too hard.

Seems like Toyota could have kept the first 4 gears low for acceleration, but allowed a higher 5th to provide lower rpms and better gas mileage. Another mystery from the engineers.

I'll be mostly satisfied with the present gearing, but if I lived in one of the lucky states without speed limits... I'd be wanting a smooth, lower reving car for obvious reasons.