Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion tC

Comments

• JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    Tony, I'd be interested in hearing, as a Tc owner, your impressions of the Civic Coupe, and if you have any interest in driving one to see how they compare.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,434
    one nice thing about the tC is that it has very convenient levers to slide the front seats up and back. The driver's also has memory. From what I saw of the Honda coupe, it didn't have this.

Something to consider if you ever plan to use the back seat.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• I've owned my tc for a little over a year and am very happy with it. I would buy it again. Having said that, I think Honda has done a great job on the '06 civic. I think anyone would be as happy with either of them. Out of curiosity, I do intend to get a close look at the civic when the car show comes to town.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    Thanks for your impressions. I'm in no big hurry but I was starting to look around at a higher mileage but sporty type of car that's fun to drive. This would primarily be used for commuting and errands around town. My daughter is also a little over a year away from being able to drive on her own, and I told her if her grades are at least an A- I would buy a third car she could have primary use of. Otherwise it's an older one - or nothing, depending on her grades. Anyway the Tc and now the Civic Coupe caught my eye as good possibilities. Both have nice styling and even more importantly are about as safe as you could expect for the size (Civic's ratings are not out yet, but I would expect them to be good too). Both appear plenty peppy but are not too high performance where a very young driver wouldn't know how to handle the power. They are pretty closely matched overall, I think.

Not too steal the Tc thunder here, but I did add a Tc vs. Civic Coupe thread in the Comparison area, but it hasn't received too much action.
  • I try to stay on top of the market so yes, I will be checking out the new civic.

There are some really nice touches in the tC that really didn't have to be there considering the class & price of the car. i.e., memory seat, tire pressure monitor, dual height adjustments on seat, 2 one-touch up & down windows, & yeah, even the radio cover (which isn't all that functional but I like it for the way it changes the look of the dash).

When you look at other cars in this class & price range there can be found some real obvious "short cuts" taken to remind you of why the price is so low. I don't feel that way where anything is concerned in the tC.

I'm expecting a lot from the new Civic, hope it delivers.
  • c2rosac2rosa Posts: 76
    Toyota said it will notify 72,000 owners of Scion tC sport coupes that the wind deflector on the sunroof of the vehicle may shatter if hit by road debris at highway speeds. This service action includes vehicles manufactured in the 2005-6 model years.
    nice of them to let us know, but what do they plan to do about it? Issue hardhats?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    I'm trying to remember the last time I had a problem with road debris flying over the TOP of my car.......
  • Great question! I'm one of the complaints filed with the Nat. Safety Board.

The deflector needs to be made of a composite material - not glass. I will certainly be watching for the fix.

As for "debris flying over the top of the car", I'm not certain that anything actually hit the deflector when it broke. Besides, it isn't at all far-fetched to consider debris striking anywhere on the car.

Does anyone at Scion read this stuff?
  • godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    Great! Just when I'm considering buying a Tc - guess I'll but on the back-burner for a while. Don't really like sunroofs anyway - so don't need this "aggro".

Stickguy- nice comment re: hardhats.... :)
  • Unless you have other issues with the car, I sure wouldn't let the deflector thing stop you from getting one. The statement I heard was that there were 3 complaints lodged with the safety board. That isn't real indicative of an epidemic. Although it was not a pleasant experience, it was handled at no cost by my dealership.

As pleased as I am with the car, that is one item that they goofed on. After all, it shouldn't take a genius to figure out that designing a part out of glass that stands nearly perpendicular to the road isn't such a great idea.

Of course, if you want to play hardball, there are other cars out there that would not have that worry. I for one would not want a car without a sunroof, but to each his own. I always thought that having it as standard equipment (not to mention the panoramic feature) was a great part of what helped set the car apart from some of its pricier competition.

I now have noticed other cars with similar features and wonder what material the deflectors or higher profile pieces of roof are made of or if the same potential exists.
    "After all, it shouldn't take a genius to figure out that designing a part out of glass that stands nearly perpendicular to the road isn't such a great idea."

I wasn't aware the sunroof deflectors were made of glass? Where did that info come from? :confuse:

The original post on this subthread just said that some deflectors had shattered from hitting road debris; it didn't say anything about the material.......for all we know, Toyota got a bad batch of plastic deflectors from their supplier.
    it is glass (the whole roof is).

I stand (sit) corrected.

I just checked the Scion site; obviously I was wrong regarding the type of sunroof and pop-up deflector the tC uses. I was thinking of the little tack-on deflector usually added as an accesory to cars with sunroofs rather than a full-width-of-the-windshield pop-up panel.

The Scion site does show a full profile of the car with the sunroof open and the deflector up; it is hardly 'vertical' as posted previously. It look like it is raked back at an angle similar to the windshield. It also looks as though the pop-up deflector is 'frameless' so it fits better (flush) with the sunroof when closed. I wonder if this design contributes to the breakage problem with road debris?
  • I haven't had a problem w/mine. However, I'll gladly take whatever fix they have to prevent it from happening.
  • I just recently purchased a TC. All I can say is WOW! For the price you cant go wrong. I bought the TC in August after waiting 3months to receive it. I got it with 0 miles on it and now I have 3700. The car looks sporty and is definitely built for my personality. The sunroofs are unbelievable. I added all the goodies as well. Just waiting on the intake to come back, and also the supercharger which will be out next year (2006). Toyota kinda screwed me over, but the car is built for casual luxury.
  • mark19mark19 Posts: 123
    glad you like your car..

the supercharger is ALREADY out now available from your dealer (TRD parts).. was released a couple weeks ago..
  • I hope one of the car mags does a full test of a supercharger-equiped tC. It would be interesting to see how it would match up against a production Civic Si when it is released in December.
  • I am looking to purchase a new 2006 scion tc. My only concern is that i live in the notheast. we get lots of snow. being in the sales business i drive between 500-1000 miles a week. does anyone know how these cars handle in the winter. any comments are greatly appreciated!!!
  • Has anyone had any problems with the wheels/rotors/disks/brakes on their Scion tc? Specifically, anything that has caused part(s) to fall off of the vehicle leading to control/brake problems?

Thanks in advance.
    if you have good/decent tires the car is fine in snow.. I know what you mean, some cars even if they have snow tires just aren't good in snow.. the tC is fine in snow, no problems at all..

if you're going to get good lake effect snow depths, definitely get some good snow tires.. Blizzaks come to mind (bridgestone makes them)
    Brakes have held up fine, better than the Honda's I've had in the past.. No warping or run-out problems.. No vibration.. I have found that the discs have a little rust on them when parked for a few days, but that's normal for a car..

Brakes have been good, and the ABS isn't overly sensitive either like on some cars.. I do admit I wish the brakes stopped quicker, but the stock pads are doing a good job and stopping in a very good distance.. maybe someday i'll update the pads, but at this rate the stock pads might just last 40k-50k miles!!
  • Hi,

I bought my scion 06 two months ago. And I have now got a job in california. I currently live in ny. So my question is should i drive to CA or to fly ?
    Here are the facts that will help you help me ...
    1) I dont know much about cars at all. Best I can do is to replace a flat tire.
    2) If I fly the new company will pay for my flight but then i have to spend around $1000 to ship the car and my bags. If I drive company pays for the gas. But I pay for hotel and stuff. So basically if I drive I will put 3k miles on my car, burn tires and take the chance that something might go wrong on the way. But I save around $800 in cash given everything goes smooth. Also I have heard that people who ship cars mostly get them back with dents.

What should I do ?

please advise.
  • I dont have any scientific info for you, but I think you should take the opportunity to see the country. You have 1000 to spend if you were going to ship it, so use that money and take 3-5 days to drive across the country and stop along the way at any place of interest to you. Chances are you wont get the time or desire to do this on your own, so hop on I-80 and go. Youll go thru a bunch of cool places. I think a few years ago a guy on espn.com did an article about a road trip on I-80, lots of cool places.

The drive should not hurt yoru car as it is past its break in period. Maybe get a fresh oil change before you go, maybe even put synthetic in it since the drive will be harder on the engine than normal. Burn a bunch of cds and go crazy.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    Highway miles are the easiest miles you can put on your car. Stop and go along with cold starts are the hardest on the engine. Additionally, the worst time for an engine is right after an oil change. Something to do with the oil pressure while filling the oil filter.

I too would take the chance to see the country though. Drive it.
  • I agree 100% that highway miles are the easiest on the car. I am just thinking in terms of the sheer number of miles driven will put more of a strain on the engine and any moving parts. Driving several hundred miles per day for several days straight will be harder on the car than driving 50 highway miles a day to and from work.

That would be a great drive, that's for sure.
  • "Driving several hundred miles per day for several days straight will be harder on the car than driving 50 highway miles a day to and from work."

Given the same total number of miles driven, a longer trip with highway miles will actually be easier on your car than lots of shorter trips. It's lots of cold engine starts, and stop and go driving, that's hardest on a car. With your long trip you would just be adding on more miles, more quickly, than if you didn't take the trip at all.
  • Ok Guys. That really helps. Knowing not much about cars it convinces that I should not have any problems in theory to drive down to CA. I am gonna use AAA to plan my itinery and stop at some scenic places on the way. If you know some places I must check out on I-80 pls let me know.
    thanks again guys.
    Gaurav
  • These two links have some places to see in the Ohio/Indiana area.
    http://espn.go.com/page2/s/caple/020815.html
    http://espn.go.com/page2/s/caple/020816.html

Rock n Roll Hall of Fame - Cleveland
    Notre Dame - South Bend
  • do you know the offset and weight of your wheels?
This discussion has been closed.