Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion tC

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,699
    thanks for that information. I'll keep it in mind if I go with a Scion tC and probably switch out from the stock tires ASAP.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• bpraxisbpraxis Posts: 292
    Hello everyone and I was wondering if the new Spec Tc which has 16 inch steel wheels as opposed to the 17s on the regular Tc has the same tires? I was hoping that they would give better wear if they are a different brand or specification????

With appreciation
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Posts: 992
    Does the tC with the standard 17" use the same tires as the optional 18" enkai rims? Not really. Just expect it to be around an average profile tire instead of low. The ride may in fact get better. But i'd rather pay the extra pay the $2k for the regular model. I wouldn't want any options on it other than the automatic, pioneer radio with the knobs, and fog lights. Adding that to the spec would be more, plus i like the standard rims better.

-Cj :)
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Why still no 5-speed automatic?
    That's why the car is noisy for freeway cruising and gets lower highway gas mileage than many larger V6 cars.
    Annoying!

The only good things about it are that this old transmission probably makes the MSRP a little lower, people who do 90% in town city driving won't miss the extra gear and maybe it will have fewer typical Toyota automatic transmission problems Toyota has been having the last several years on Camrys and other Toyotas.
  • jce32jce32 Posts: 3
    I'm wondering if TC drivers miss not having a rear wiper especially if you drive in a climate that has frequent rain or snow. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

-Cj :shades:
    what do you mean miss? There never was a rear wiper. I guess the reason why the tC has no rear wiper is because none of toyotas wipers would work properly;

Prius: too small
    Matrix: too small
    Celica: not made anymore but that wiper could have worked
    4runner/gx470: to big
    highlander: May fit
    rav4/rx: to small
    sequoia/lx470: too big
    xa/xb: to small

And because of this, toyota couldn't afford to just make one since the ones in the parts bin aren't the right size. Toyota should have put the one from the celica on the tC but its to late now.

Some rani-x should help out with this problem alot. Go to your nearest auto parts store, Cvs, wallgreens, wal*mart, ect and spend that little $3 on this little bottle. image

It may not be the perfect alternative to a rear wiper but it does take away from most of that frustration. Hope it helps!!

did you buy a 2007 Scion tC Spec, per chance? If so, how is it working out?

That white one looks awesome, I just made it my background picture on my Windows background. Very nice shade, and the Metallic Silver also looks great on the Scion tC.

I like the $15,000 price and find it comical that one Internet report(a passing blog)says that Scion doesn't want to sell these Spec tC's for 2007 for just $15,000 to anybody. I mean, the report read like they are encouraging the salesmen to discourage anyone from buying just a 2007 Scion tC Spec in their favorite color. Humm...say that ain't so, Joe.

Like they (Scion salesmen) are going to go overboard trying to sell you options and care packages of all sorts, like you or not. Yikes. :surprise:

well no i didn't buy a tC. That picture came straight from edmunds :blush: . Heres are 2 important facts to note:

1, The spec tC has a panorama moonroof but it doesn't open.

2, Toyota is actually considering dropping the tC in the mid 2008 model year :cry: . I lost the link when my history was deleted but will post where i found that when i find that. Thats a dumb move for toyota because the tC is one of the best selling toyota models. Hopefully they will just do a freshening of it.

Also take note that toyota may freshen the tC next year and if enough people recommend toyota add a rear wiper to the tC, they may do it. I mean hey, even the prius has one and it is sooo tiny. How many people actually use their rear wipers often? My dad stopped after using rain-x on his 4runner.

Consumer guide says the tC will be dropped. Read the news paragraph.

-Cj :cry:
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Not likely. It is a little too popular to be dropped in a year.
    I could see them dropping/replacing the xA.
    That website says the xA and xB will be around until 2009 with minor freshenings. The xa and xb are good cars, they just need more power like the 1.5l 4cyl from the yaris insted of the one from the ECHO. Hopefully they all get freshened together. Heres a list of what i think they need as a start:

xA
    *A 1.8l 4cyl from corolla.
    *A instrument panel in front of the driver.
    *A a 5 speed auto
    *Better rear wiper
    *Better standard stereo system

xB
    *same as xA
    *A more aerodynamic cubic body so mpg can further improve
    *A separate opening rear glass window (like 4runner or like highlander).
    *The tCs reclining rear seats
    *Rear ac vents
    *signal mirrors standard

tC
    *a 5speed auto
    *a rear wiper (at least as an option; not prius sized)
    *losing some weight by changing some materials
    *the 2007 camrys 4cyl engine
    *a rear center armrest that allows for storage and skis pass-through

I guess i'm just nit picking.
    nitpicking is right, man!

All three models are pretty awesome cars, viewed individually or as a whole.

For example, if I were to go order a Polar White 2006 5-speed Scion xA tomorrow the only thing I'd probably want to add would be some of their EP-10 wheels. Either that or order some type of wheel from Tire Rack or Discount Tire. I'd do it right off the bat, too. The standard features on the Scion xA are plenty of car for this padre. I just love the look of the xA with nice wheels, though, and to see the car without nice wheels only gives me 78% of the car.

i was nit picking. I like the tC but see i don't like the performance of the Xa or Xb at high speeds. I prefer the corolla and its good MPG to boot. Thats why i said 1.8. the Xb does need signal mirrors. Think RS 1.0 with all that yellow. they're all good cars and i only have suggestions
    (like the tC keeping the alticara seats even as an option.)

have you noticed that the xA has those turn signals on the side of the car, set back from the front a bit? They're on the side and they look like side markers, but they actually turn on and off with the regular turn signals. They're orange. Pretty cool, actually. I think they are put on there by Toyota/Scion to cover the obligations of the European market, where they are required to have them installed by the manufacturer.

That brings up a question, though. Does the Scion xA have turn signals on top of it's mirrors like on the tC? I think it does but I'm not sure. I'll go to the Scion website later if I think of it or anybody just chime in that knows the answer to that one, K?

Answer your question? Also scion added the steering wheel audio controls to the xA and xB. Wow, the tC started things... The signal mirrors (tC & xa), the panorama roof (tC & es350), steering wheel audio (tC, xA, xB, Fj cruiser)

The xB relese series 2.0 had them also but not like the tC or xA.

that answers my question. I'm gonna buy an 2006 Scion xA in 5-speed form with either Polar White or Classic Metallic Silver as the colors. I do like the Black Cherry Pearl color that you have shown above on the xA, too.

Note that little orange side marker below the turnlight/headlamp cluster combo on the xA, there. That little orange marker is just a reflector. The little Japanese import carries lots of markers per square foot of automobile, doesn't it, when you add the simple reflectors to the actual lamps with operating bulbs inside them. Yikes. It's a well-lit machine!

Remind me which Scion you're thinking of getting autoboy, if you are still interested, OK?

A flint mica regular tC with optional fog lights, lip spoiler and the audio with the knobs. My local toyota dealer offers tCs with a leather interior and a bunch of other stuff.

The reason the spec isn't for me is because i often use my sunroof and i would love to have audio controls on my steeringwheel. Plus i like the standard 17" rims. My toyo.. I mean scion dealership has almost 42 tC in my preference so i'm in no rush. Good luck with the xA!! Are you going to wait a few weeks until the special edition xA comes out? I love the seats in the release tC but i'm not looking for a car now. Maybe in four years. I'd still get a used 2006/2007 tC as it gets about the same hp and mpg as my accord. My accord was worth about $5k and rose up to $7k so i'm loving the resale value (only paid $4500 because i got 1k off.)

in a few weeks, eh? Worth a look but I'll probably just get a regular 5-speed xA in Polar White or Classic Metallic Silver and go to Pep Boys to get some cheap cool wheels put on after the purchase. I'll get what I'm after for cheaper that way.

Hey whatever floats your boat. I'd wait but its your call not mine. Im not much of an xA fan mainly because it offers no sunroof. I love sunroofs because of the open air feeling without the the convertible premium. Let me know what you decide.

I will let you know what I decide. I may just hold with the Sportage 4x4 but I don't think so. It's time to take the plunge!

Good fortune on your tC purchase, too. Hey, BTW, what iteration of Release Series is the tC on, anyway, is it Scion tC RS 2.0? What color will it be?

The same as the Scion xA RS 3.0's color, sort of a metallic blue-green color?

The tC is the RS. 3.0. (technically 2.0 but called 3). The tC has a well... Check yourself! Its too much to list.

I don't blame you for the sportage. My mom had one and it had 1,000,000 problems from front badge to spare tire. Its funny how we got out of it too. We went to a used car convention at the orange bowl and were getting a bmw 328i. She saw a miata and test drove it for almost 3hours. She bought it and is happier than her sportage's problems!

in that Blue Streak Mica. The list price is $18,880 for it but it's worth every penny of it IMO. I test drove a Scion tC RS 1.0 in that Absolutely Red color. Nice driving machine and plenty of pick-up for me. Good throaty sound on acceleration and an easy coupe to drive.

• Has anyone seen the different upholstery in a Spec tc vs. a reg (base) tc?
    My husband and I are looking at a tc for him to commute in. We came across the Spec version on CarsDirect and Edmunds and the price is right for us. We've been in a regular (base) tc and really like the interior. We can do without the moonroof and the other minor changes, but are really concerned about a downgrade in the fabric. Anyone been in one? Your thoughts?
  • karportkarport Posts: 13
    I have seen the Spec and drove it. The seats are fine. The weave of the fabric is not as tight as the base model. That is not to say it is not durable, just different. I have the same thoughts as you, since I don't care for the sun roof. The other changes are minor but just to let you know. 1. No radio control on the steering wheel. (no big deal to me. 2. No cruise control (again no big deal. 3 No decorative cover over the engine (if I didn't tell you, you would have never known. 4. The wheels are 16" vs 17" which actually is a plus. The tires are actually more durable, but if you plan on taking curves at high speed you would see a difference (you should also shoot your husband if he does). 5. The wheel covers are just junky looking. If I decide on the TC spec I will buy either a decent set of wheel covers or spring for new wheels.

I drove both models and could not tell the difference in ride, comfort. Actually the spec is likely to be quieter with the fixed moon roof.

Hope this helps.
    But there is a difference on the release series tC! Those seats are the most comfortable! It also comes standard with the Side Curtain Airbags!! That last one was anonymous to me until recently. For $19k(rounded, you get a lotta car with that release series tC!! Only if they would keep those seats... Or add the auto dimming mirror with home link...

• karportkarport Posts: 13
    As I mentioned the seat fabric on the spec is different, however I did notice any difference in comfort. I am however rather slight of build.

I was not aware that side curtin airbags were standard and thought those remain an option.

The original premise of your question was if the difference in price of between the spec and the base model would leave you with a significantly different car. My assessement was intended to be as objective as I could be pointing out the major differences in the trim and equipment.

Candidly if the interior makes that big of a difference, get the spec model and get leather seats. I priced them this morning from a place that specializes in custom interior upgrades for cars. (they do that for dealerships. The price difference between the spec just about covers that cost.
    no, in answer to your question to me earlier, I'm not confused as to what Scion I'd want.

You have been known to want a Scion tC RS 3.0, right?

I would like a 2006(or 2007 if they're about out to dealer lots)Scion xA in 5-speed, Polar White form. I'd run over after getting one to Pep Boys and buy some Proline alloy wheels for it, though. Nice reflective wheels make this car the unique automobile it can be.

I would go for a 2007 Scion tC Spec in Polar White, Flint Mica or Classic Metallic Silver, too. 5-speeder, of course.

With a new xA only costing $13,320 it would seem tragic to not add the obligatory nicer wheels, IMO. It makes a plain xA look Release Series-able immediately!

Let me add to those additions an armrest if not already installed at the factory. I am an armrest kind of guy, most definitely. :D

Are an option on all tC models. However, it is Standard on the Release Series Model.

The original premise of your question was if the difference in price of between the spec and the base model would leave you with a significantly different car. My assessment was intended to be as objective as I could be pointing out the major differences in the trim and equipment.

Ok that depends on personal prefrences. I prefer the audio controls on the steering wheel as its better to need them and not have them. I require an opening sunroof as i'm kinda claustrophobic. I love driving my accord home and being able to have the sunroof and all 4 windows open and watching the sunset! Its the greatest & most unexplainable feeling ever and something i don't think I'd be comfortable without. The sound of my engine sounds good too! ;) And since going from 170hp in my accord to 160hp in a tC -eventually- won't be all that bad. The mpg is about the same also!

So IMO, the price spent on the regular model versus the spec model is worth it and the price is well justified.
    When choosing between a between a spec and regular tC remember this:
    No opening sunroof, no nice rims, no controls on the steering wheel, and not as many colors to choose from. So why not spend the extra $2.5k(automatic) for a nicer vehicle? If only toyota used a 5 speed auto to keep revs down... :cry:

I agree about the armrest! For me add a cupholder for the rear to that list! Sharing 1 1/2 cupholder between 4 people isn't fun! Do you like the stock audio system, the upgraded one or will you change altogether?

This discussion has been closed.