Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion tC

Comments

• goosegoose Posts: 77
    I rented the new Mustang V6 today and took it on a 2.5 hour trip. Heres what I noticed. The car feels solid and doesn't suffer from body flex. It handles like a entry level sport car. The seats look top notch and are very comfortable. The inside is retro in appearance and livable. During my trip the engine felt like a 3.? liter. Not until I got on my computer and did some research did I find out it's a 4.0 liter. The vehicle does not suffer from wind noise. Now for the bad points.

The drivetrain is not refined, its not in the same league as the Japanese brands. The back seat suffers from lack of leg room, unlike the tC which has lots of leg room. The stang also lets in lots of road noise. I was very surprised to find so much road noise in an American brand. The light colored interior is easy to dirty.

Overall it was a positive experience. Things I would like improved. The drive train (smoothness). They need to fix the fan issue. You can't turn off the ventilation fan. It will only go to the lowest setting. Ford also needs to address the road noise and color of the light colored interior. Fix these issues and the Mustang will be a very good coupe. Also, stop selling it to the rental companies. It cheapens the vehicle.

So far the tC has nothing to fear from the V6 Mustang. They are two very different vehicles, for very different customers.
    I had to retest the RSX after driving the new V6 Mustang and seeing a problem on the tC. It was a hazy overcast morning, with temps expected into the mid 90's (Tucson, AZ). So, I decided to visit the dealer. I went and sat in a tC. When I closed the door it started to come apart. What! Yes my friends, it seems that on this one tC when you pull on the door handle it causes some flexing of the handle. The flexing made the roundish looking, plastic piece on the handle come off. Very alarming and disappointing. This started to make the Mustang look like a good buy. Anyway, I went to the Acura dealer and got a spin on a 2005 RSX none type S. First, I pulled on the door handle. One word, solid. We then went on a test drive. The engine loves to make its way into the 4500-5000 RPM range and I enjoyed seeing how painlessly the engine achieve it. Almost zero wind noise but lots, lots of road noise. I don't know if different tires would fix that. Also, the 17" are not standard. The stereo, if you could upgrade it, would only get a 6" sub enclosure and its not MP3 friendly. Yes, you can replace the stereo but in this price range and in 2005? Basically, it turned me off.

I decided to go back to the Scion dealer for a longer drive on a different tC, not the one with the door issue. Unfortunately, the sales rep got the keys to the defective tC. Oh well, we got on a road similar to the one used for the RSX test drive. It had a very quit ride and on one 45 MPH stretch of road I got to 60 MPH. I noticed my speed after looking in my rear view mirror and seeing the other traffic way in the distance. I commented to the sales guy, "Oh s..t, I'm doing 60 MPH. We said, "What! It feels like we're doing 30 MPH". Needless to say, we were both surprised. In short, the tC retest removed the doubt I was having. Even though I test drove a tC with a known hardware issue the car felt solid. My tC deliver date is in early June. Once I purchase it I'll keep my eye out for that door handle flex issue. :surprise:
  • osu1298gradosu1298grad Posts: 22
    Congrats on your decision goose! :)

I too ordered a tC, exactly three weeks ago... the wait time was 3-5 weeks then, we shall see. Thanks for the forewarning on a possible door handle defect, I will keep an eye out for that.

BTW... what color did you opt for?
    Its silver with side air bags. :shades:
  • jasonj734jasonj734 Posts: 35
    NHTSA said on its Web site it was opening an investigation into the Scion tC coupe. The agency has received reports the coupe's moonroof wind deflector can shatter at highway speeds. I would say if anyone has this happen to go fill out the survey and let them know.NHTSA Web site vehicle complaint form
  • tonylexustonylexus Posts: 94
    I had this happen to me and did report it to NHTSA. My dealer replaced it under warrenty without blinking and eye, which impressed me. Not fun getting pelted with broken glass at 70 MPH!

The deflector really does need to be addressed. It should be an unbreakable material rather than glass. Have not heard anything from Scion yet. Will write them again. Even if it hasn't happened to you - yet - tC owners should begin a campaign to have this fixed, because it will get you sooner or later.

I hold my breath now every time I have that open and I am trying to avoid opening it on the expressway - shouldn't have to do that! Fortunately (or unfortunately) it hasn't been much of an issue yet as the weather here in Michigan has not been condusive to open-top cruising - typical crappy Michigan weather!

Hope this leads to a fix.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Posts: 729
    What will happen to the 2005's left when the 2006 arrives (or is in transit)?

Scion doesn't dicount or offer any incentives, that I've heard of.

What will happen in October to unloved Scions? Buying a 2005 so late in the year, without incentives is not fiscally responsible.

DrFill
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,584
    Not true that dealers (that set the actual price) van't discount. They can sell for any price they want, they just have to post it up front, and give anyone that walks in the same deal.

Toyota can also support the leftovers, maybe a free option, or cheap financing or lease deals?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    To answer your question Doc, Scion and Toyota don't really have to worry about left over vehicles. Most are gone by the time the new model year vehicles begin to arrive. That's the beauty of the Toyota Production System and the Just in Time system. Toyota and Scion take care of their customers which also includes dealers.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • geneegenee Posts: 170
    My tC is rather thirsty for a small rig. My overall mpg for 6000 miles of usually gentle driving is 24.9. My Sienna does as well if not better. I take all these posts of 30 on the road as wishful thinking and not filling the tank completely. :P
    genee, have you checked your right foot for lead lately?
    :blush:
    Mackabee
    Mackabee, my family all says that if we want to get somewhere ... let Mom drive. I will admit that 90% of my driving has been in town but all freeway driving is done between 65 and 75. ;) The little guy has never been on a road trip of more than 60 miles each way. I just was curious and added up all the gas put into him and found my overall average a bit short of expectations. ... I guess I should have opted for the Corolla :shades:
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,584
    I'm at about 6K too now. Since spring hit, I have been getting about 24-25 per tank. I do all around town (probably never get more than 10 miles from the house), witha fair amount of stop/go on my 3 mile commute. Rest is suburban driving, with shor thighway bursts (usually about 5 miles at a time).

On my few highway trips, I have gotten about 30-32, running +/-70.

Yes, the tC doesn't get quite the mileage it could (or should). Blame the gearing, and the curb weight.

Still, 25 overall local driving isn't bad, considering the performance it offers. If you want better, trade it in on a Putt Putt Corolla CE, and maybe you will get 30-32 overall instead.

Just do the math to see if the $5-10/month you save will be worth the trade off!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

Hey, stickguy! My kids had fits when I told them I was thinking about a Corolla. They gave me this song-and-dance about having to keep up my image. I told them that at 65 I wasn't too worried about image. But, the tC does turn a lot more heads than the Corolla. Especially since I detail the Black Cherry guy a couple of times a month. (It IS nice to have nothing but time...) :blush:
  • 94gp94gp Posts: 2
    Details about the 2006 tCs were released by Toyota yesterday: http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/05-25-2005/00036895- 67&EDATE=

Numerous audio upgrades/improvements are mentioned, and the cars are supposed to begin arriving in dealers next week (according to the Car Connection). Wow!
  • oozazoozaz Posts: 6
    I was disappointed to find out from Scion that they have nothing planned to accomodate 2005 tC owners with the iPod compatibility that the 2006 will have.. I thought the tC was meant to be modified, and Scion was looking for that added business? I don't see why they wouldn't be looking into providing owners with the availability of this mod..
    I'm still bummed that they were unable to install my auto dimming mirror in combination with my side curtain airbags..
  • Thanks 94gp...I was told of the June delivery date but your post gives all the details. My '02 RSX goes away the end of next month...thank God...and the '06 tc will be its replacement. I am glad I waited a month as I was about ready to commit on a White ( I'm in AZ) '05 but the changes are definitely worth the extra money...plus less depreciation. I am new to Toyota products after 200 or so automobiles in my lifetime. Just purchased an '05 Tacoma Double Cab that is the best truck I've ever owned...traded a '03 Honda Pilot. No more Honda products!!!
    The tc is a great value and a great driver...plus I want to screw up Toyota's age demographics for the Scion brand.
    65!!! Well there goes our demographics! :) I knew this car would appeal to all age groups. I'm waiting to see what changes are coming up for 2006 before I get mine. All I know so far is upgraded stereos, a couple of new colors, and maybe. Don't tell anyone yet since it's still in the 'planning stages" a Luxury Edition tC!! I filled out a questionaire for our dealership regarding future plans for Scion and the one on the tC asked if there was a luxury edition would customers prefer leather or suede such as on the Lexus IS300. I chose the suede material as it would probably keep cost down. I told them to keep the car affordable as it is now and not to make the mistake(s) they made with the Celica and Tercel. Those two started reasonably priced and by the end of their existence were way overpriced for what you got, (IMHO)./
    :shades:
    Mackabee
  • tonylexustonylexus Posts: 94
    I have 11.5k miles on my tC, check nearly every tank full and consistantly get 28.5 MPG. The lowest I ever recorded (once) was 28, the best 33.5. There is a good deal of in-town highway (not expressway) driving at 55 - 70 MPH but also a very healthy dose of normal suburban traffic. I do not make any extra effort to nurse the gas thru and enjoy playing with the performance of the car.

I've seen reports of people claiming to get in the low 20's and think they must be driving at full throttle on a 45 degree grade at all times. Maybe I have a freak, but I could not be more pleased with my mileage. Heck, I would have been happy with the sticker 23 MPG after 2 years in a Jeep that got 15.

What gives? I've never seen such a disparity in reported fuel economy on a car. The car mags seemed to have trouble getting the 23 MPG. Based on my experience thus far, if I got 23 I would be looking for a hole in the gas tank.
  • osu1298gradosu1298grad Posts: 22
    Hi there.

Okay, my question requires brutal honesty, so fire away for those interested.

I ordered an '05 in late April and received a call yesterday that it will be in early next week. However, I will be on vacation then and I was told they can hold it until I get back. I recently caught wind of the '06 changes and I am starting to have my doubts about the '05. A security deposit was not required, so I have nothing "down" on the car right now.

Here's where I need your honesty... would it be unethical for me to not take delivery on the '05 and have them put in another order for me on the '06? My guilty conscious has my paranoid, but I don't want to lose money on new additions that could add to the resale value down the line, plus depreciation I would be losing on the '05 since there is no "discount" for older models. I know I'm showing up late in the game with these realizations, I was just wondering if you were in my shoes, what would you do?

As a side note, these cars are selling like hotcakes at this dealer... I've never seen a tC sit on their lot more than a couple of days.

Thanks in advance!