Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion tC

Comments

• is it me or does anyone else wish toyota would issue a top of the line tC... One with standard leather seats, without that annoying radio cover :mad: or one that works and hidden behind it would be a navigation and audio system togather. :shades:. Even if that were to be an option, wouldn't it be nice :blush: ? Honda is doing it for the top of the line 06 civic ex's. Toyota should trythis. It would give honda a run for their $$$$!! This tC is already fabulous!!1
  • Hi,

Is it true there is no buzzer working with the security on Scion tC?

I have security installed, but I don't hear any sound when I lock or unlock my tC.

Thanks.
  • Although not a Scion or Dealer installed accessory. There is a unit made by Eclipse that completes those requests while residing under the cover. It will also play dvds. I've seen one installed and it's really neat.
  • As a disgruntled tC (former) owner you may not be alone, but I think I can assure you that you are among a small minority. (I too am allowed to generalize)

Owned a Honda once and I cannot disagree that they are excellent cars. I commend you on your gumption to ditch a car you weren't happy with.

I've had my tC for 1 year and 17.5k miles and have absolutely no complaints. In fact, the car has exceeded my expectations in every way. I have found many of the "problems" asserted here to be of a personal preference nature rather than major issues with quality, engineering, etc. I do not deny that some vehicles have their legitimate problems and, of course, dealers are dealers, but, yes, you will find a degree of this with every make of car - even Honda. My experience has demonstrated that the "problems" with the tC are not of an extraordinary degree.

I shopped the Civic, but unless you're talking SI, I found the tC to be much more satisfying in performance, style and "feel". I do like what they've done to the new models but have no reason to take a closer look while still happy with the tC.

It is a shame your experience with the tC was a bad one. Best of luck with the Civic - By the way, did you read the 200+ pages of Civic "Problems and Solutions" before buying?
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    " 200+ pages of Civic "Problems and Solutions"

Since that forum is not pruduction year specific that's not bad for a car that sells the volume of the Civic. There are a few million of them on the road by now.
  • goosegoose Posts: 77
    Last night I decided to buy a 06 Civic Coupe EX. In this very forum I was sure the Civic was not a good buy. Well, once I took it on a test drive and factored in the new look (inside/outside), safety features and the MPG (30-40 MPG) I was sold. The choice was between the tC, Matrix, RSX and Civic. Everyone of theses cars has pluses and minus. It came down to my personal choice and previous experience with Honda.
  • I also got the tire rime warrenty and i did it a pothole and scraped the rim
    they wouldnt replace it because the tire needs to be not holding air for anything to be replaced under this warrenty
  • 719b719b Posts: 216
    that sure sounds strange. the warranty is for any damage on the rim. damage the rim bad enough and no tire will hold air while on the damaged rim.
    seems like you didn't read the fine print.
    i wonder if you have any recourse?
  • prosaprosa Posts: 280
    I saw the aftermath of a crash involving a tC this evening, driving past it just as the first cops were arriving on the scene and then on my way back about 15 minutes later. No injuries, as far as I could tell. Another vehicle had hit the tC squarely on the right side and pushed it onto the sidewalk. Slow traffic past the scene gave me a pretty decent look at the damage. There was a moderate amount of intrusion into the tC's passenger compartment, which however remained essentially intact. Had there been a front seat passenger, he or she probably would have sustained some injuries but nothing too severe, thanks to the vehicle's rigid structure and side-impact air bags - in fact maybe there was a passenger, and he or she was very lucky.

What is interesting is the damage to the striking vehicle. It was a late-1990's Nissan compact pickup, a 4x4 model with what seemed to be some suspension lift and a brush guard across the front. I first drove toward the scene from the rear of the Nissan, and initially was able to see the damage to the tC but not the Nissan. I figured that the Nissan would have relatively little damage, especially once I saw the edge of the brush guard. Imagine my surprise to see that the front end of the Nissan pickup was demolished! In fact, while both vehicles were obvious write-offs I'd have to say that the tC came off better than the Nissan pickup. The only downside, alas, is that given the location of the collision it was pretty obvious that the tC driver was at fault.
  • Your point is well taken. I hope mine is as well.

If you were to examine the 'problems' cited here I think you will find that we are talking about (in relative terms) a handful of people with just a few legitimate problems. (i.e., I do not consider someone's dissatisfaction with the third brake light not being wide enough a "problem")

I, for example have heard a 'roof pop' maybe 3 times in a year - no concern, I have no problem with the radio cover, and only one other intermittent rattle in the hatch area that isn't there enough to be of concern. My mileage is better than I expected and no mysterious seat stains are evident. I prefer knobs to buttons on the radio, but have adapted, the operation and sound of the stereo system is flawless. My dealer has been great from sale to service.

The biggest gripe seems to be creaks & rattles. Admittedly, they can drive you nuts if bad enough but, frankly, if that is the worse you can say about a vehicle with an inovative glass roof that is such a great value in all other respects, it aint all that bad - especially as in my case, where it isn't a problem at all.

As great as the Civic is, you would not have a problem finding a certain percentage of people that have plenty of legitimate complaints and problems (I know BMW drivers that have far more substantial problems than I with my tC). Unfortunately, the percentages mean nothing if you are the one with the problems.

All things considered, for the type of car it is, for the features it has, for the difference in 'feel' and style, and an arguably equal corporate history of quality and reliability, I'll take the tC any day.
    To each his own.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    Tony, I'd be interested in hearing, as a Tc owner, your impressions of the Civic Coupe, and if you have any interest in driving one to see how they compare.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,146
    one nice thing about the tC is that it has very convenient levers to slide the front seats up and back. The driver's also has memory. From what I saw of the Honda coupe, it didn't have this.

Something to consider if you ever plan to use the back seat.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• I've owned my tc for a little over a year and am very happy with it. I would buy it again. Having said that, I think Honda has done a great job on the '06 civic. I think anyone would be as happy with either of them. Out of curiosity, I do intend to get a close look at the civic when the car show comes to town.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    Thanks for your impressions. I'm in no big hurry but I was starting to look around at a higher mileage but sporty type of car that's fun to drive. This would primarily be used for commuting and errands around town. My daughter is also a little over a year away from being able to drive on her own, and I told her if her grades are at least an A- I would buy a third car she could have primary use of. Otherwise it's an older one - or nothing, depending on her grades. Anyway the Tc and now the Civic Coupe caught my eye as good possibilities. Both have nice styling and even more importantly are about as safe as you could expect for the size (Civic's ratings are not out yet, but I would expect them to be good too). Both appear plenty peppy but are not too high performance where a very young driver wouldn't know how to handle the power. They are pretty closely matched overall, I think.

Not too steal the Tc thunder here, but I did add a Tc vs. Civic Coupe thread in the Comparison area, but it hasn't received too much action.
  • I try to stay on top of the market so yes, I will be checking out the new civic.

There are some really nice touches in the tC that really didn't have to be there considering the class & price of the car. i.e., memory seat, tire pressure monitor, dual height adjustments on seat, 2 one-touch up & down windows, & yeah, even the radio cover (which isn't all that functional but I like it for the way it changes the look of the dash).

When you look at other cars in this class & price range there can be found some real obvious "short cuts" taken to remind you of why the price is so low. I don't feel that way where anything is concerned in the tC.

I'm expecting a lot from the new Civic, hope it delivers.
  • c2rosac2rosa Posts: 76
    Toyota said it will notify 72,000 owners of Scion tC sport coupes that the wind deflector on the sunroof of the vehicle may shatter if hit by road debris at highway speeds. This service action includes vehicles manufactured in the 2005-6 model years.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,146
    nice of them to let us know, but what do they plan to do about it? Issue hardhats?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    I'm trying to remember the last time I had a problem with road debris flying over the TOP of my car.......
  • Great question! I'm one of the complaints filed with the Nat. Safety Board.

The deflector needs to be made of a composite material - not glass. I will certainly be watching for the fix.

As for "debris flying over the top of the car", I'm not certain that anything actually hit the deflector when it broke. Besides, it isn't at all far-fetched to consider debris striking anywhere on the car.

Does anyone at Scion read this stuff?
  • godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    Great! Just when I'm considering buying a Tc - guess I'll but on the back-burner for a while. Don't really like sunroofs anyway - so don't need this "aggro".

Stickguy- nice comment re: hardhats.... :)