Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion tC

Comments

• gambit293gambit293 Posts: 406
    I saw a TC "video game" commercial on Sunday. I have to admit, it DID catch my attention, dorky gen-Yer that I am.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Posts: 292
    After reviewing the standard features for the Tc with an automatic transmission for $17,200, this car will be a smash hit.

My celica with less options had an MSRP of $19,600 and the Tc is more expensive looking with a better sound system and 17 inch wheels.

You have to love the free market and competition. The consumer wins big time with this new Tc. Cant wait to see one in person.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Posts: 417
    This car is gonna really hurt Civic coupe sales.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    The Tc is built in Japan. With import quotas and profit margins the way they are, Toyota can only afford to send coparably few Scions to the U.S. Availability will keep the Scions from overtaking the Civic. It also will keep demand high.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Posts: 417
    Do you know how many they plan on selling per year?
  • pzevpzev Posts: 807
    Yeah but why spend $16k on a Civic when the tC is so much better of a value it's not even funny. If the person can't get a tC because of availability and buys the Civic then they just spent a ton of money on a second choice, not good. When the 2001 Civic came out I honestly didn't see what the big deal was. It wasn't a good value then and still isn't.

And they better scrape together a decent amount of cars because a bunch of 35-50 year olds will be standing in line wanting one and the young kids will be waiting an eternity for one or never get one at all. This isn't a Lamborghini and they aren't going to put posters of the tC on their wall. They'll just move on to something else. Toyota wants the kids IN the car and want them to own one so they'll come back to Toyota for their next car. (brand loyalty)
    I thought I read somewhere that they would make around 30,000 a year. Can't remember where or if that's even accurate. No doubt demand will be greater than supply for the first year or two, but if Honda can make a competitve Civic or Nissan makes a powerful Sentra sedan/coupe that's competitive then in a couple of years supply might be enough.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,990
    Have you all seen the latest Edmunds Scion Tc Road Test?

Host

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• jsvhjsvh Posts: 14
    "This isn't a Lamborghini and they aren't going to put posters of the tC on their wall."

Hehe, so is it a bad thing if I have a tC poster on my wall?

I heard that the tC will be hard to get a hold of till August. Then the factories should be in full swing. By the second year they have plans to produce almost as many tCs as Honda does Civics. I looked, but I dont remember where I read this. Still, Toyota should be producing enough tCs to keep up with a reasonable amount of demand.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Just keep in mind the tC will have to sell at MSRP vs. the Civic/Celica at invoice minus rebates. You should compare those prices, not list to list.

fitzmall.com sells Celicas at no-haggle prices and those prices are at about $2k less than MSRP right now. Just factor that in, is all I'm saying.

I do think all the Scions represent a good value and that the low fixed MSRP strategy will pay off, though. Residuals will be strong and they'll come around to buy another one in 4-5 years, watch.

-juice
    Good point about having to buy it at MSRP, but even at that this car is a solid value. $2k off a Celica? Not good enough. An $18k MSRP Celica and $20k MSRP "Action Package" Celica still have 15" steel wheels and rear drum brakes. And don't even get me started on the Civic. That 2001 Civic was such a great value. You had to step up to the overpriced EX trim just to get such luxury features as ABS, body-colored door handles and mirrors, an armrest, 15" wheels, etc. Honda at least addressed a few of these problems over the years but not all.

What gets me though is people will spend $3,000+ on the supercharger option yet they have a 2900 pound plus car on their hands which some of that weight can be credited to the glass roof. Take off the glass roof to not only save weight but save money so they can use that money towards mods. But for people wanting a sunroof and lots of standard equipment this is where the car shines, not for a performance bargain but for a solid bang for the buck. And compared to the Civic and Celica this car is just that, a good value. This will attract just as many 35-50 year olds as it will younger people. Some people simply MUST have a Toyota or Honda so this is the best choice offered.

Personally I won't be looking at the car because of the glass roof, mainly because of headroom. Just as well, if the estimates of 22/29 fuel mileage figures for the manual is correct I don't think I would want it anyway. An AWD Subaru Legacy with 350+ more pounds gets better mileage than that.
    I don't think Toyota can get close to Civic numbers with the tC. I think if demand is huge they'll be more than happy to find a way to increase supply (like the Acura TSX) but being built in Japan I'm not so sure they can produce Civic like numbers. If the Mazda3 (which is built in Japan) was as successful as the Civic you can bet a bunch of them would be built elsewhere in North America. I think some Corollas, Accords, etc. are built both in Japan and NA so I don't think huge numbers are possible for the tC. Also there may not be as many Scion dealers floating around either. Not all Toyota dealers have Scion also right?
    They still build many civics in Japan. I think Toyota is able to produce enough tCs in Japan. They have many factories over there. Of course this is just speculation, time will tell how popular the tC is and how hard they are to get a hold of. Plus you have to remember that not long ago all Hondas and Toyotas were built in Japan. I am glad that the tC is being built in Japan however. The quality of cars built in Japan is much higher, even the for the same exact car.

And you are correct, Only about 40% of Toyota Dealers are Scion dealers. The dealerships have to meet certain guidelines. But if the tC becomes as popular as the Civic I bet more will want to be Scion dealers :)
    built in Japan. The Camry and Accord have been built in the U.S. for over two decades. Nearly all high sellers for both makes are uilt in the U.S. or Canada. Hondas Civic, Accord, TL, Element, and others are built here. Toyota even started building the RX330 in Canada.

There are import restrictions that limit the number of cars that can be brought from Japan.
  • tuffyleungtuffyleung Posts: 19
    If the demand of the tc is way over the original supply, do you guys think people will be put into waiting list (like the prius) for 6 months? And the price will be increased to about $20000 ? Do you guys think people would buy the tc if the price is raised to about $20000, since high demand occurs? Would tc's "one sticker" price work for long?
    "The U.S.-market 2005 tC shares a chassis and powertrain with Avensis, a high-volume Toyota car sold in Europe. That lets Toyota spread the investment over more than the 60,000 tC coupes it plans to sell each year in the USA."
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2004-05-27-tc_- x.htm
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,757
    Basic laws of economics would suggest that if tCs are in strong demand there will be higher prices and/or waiting lists. It would take an economist to predict whether the price would go over $20k or not.

I'd suggest that the tC is not unique enough to sustain a premium price or a wait-list indefinitely. The Scion tC looks nice but it's no Prius, or even a Mini.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• noxnox Posts: 1
    I agree about the design. But the car doesn't just take styling cues from BMW. From the back, it looks like an Audi and the from the front it looks like a Volvo. If you're going to incorporate styling cues from other companies, going with arguably Europe's three most popular badges can't hurt.
  • tuffyleungtuffyleung Posts: 19
    With more than 60,000 tc each year at about $17000, will it be enough for the demand? The price is not negotiable,isn't it for sure? , according to the "no hassle, no haggle" saying at http://www.scion.com/drive/pricing/drive_tc_pricing.html ?
  • mskrismskris Posts: 1
    2005 Scion tC

• What is it? Small, front-wheel-drive two-door sold as the third model in Toyota's Scion line.

• How soon? On sale late June.

• How much? Manual transmission model starts at $16,465, including $515 destination charge. Automatic model is $17,265. Typical model will have about $1,000 in options, Scion predicts.

• Who'll buy? Twenty- and thirtysomethings, probably metro-area men. They are likely prone to reject Toyota's namesake brand for its hard-sell approach, unhip image and customer-unfriendly dealership reputation and to consider Toyota's Lexus brand just right — except for that nettlesome luxury pricing issue.

• How many? 60,000 a year, making it likely to be best-selling Scion model.
    I also have a 1994 LS400. I'm 34 too. The Scion looks like it may be my next car. I love my Si but I want factory XM radio like my wife's Accord. Plus the Civic seems a little "young" to me at times. Can't wait to give it a closer look.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    The price will stay the same wHether demand goes through the roof or not, otherwise Toyota/Scion would be defeating the purpose of this marque.
                    :)
                  Mackabee
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,677
    if the TC is like the Solara, the car is only XM capatible. You still need a receiver and antenae.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

XM is part of the package. The tuner is optional. Someone posted the accessory list upthread though.
  • atlantagirlatlantagirl Posts: 11
    My car is dead and gone and I'm in a rental now. Will it be realistic to expect that you can walk in and order/buy one of these when they come out (say, first few weeks of July)? Or is the apparent demand going to make it hard to get them?

I'm trying to figure out what to do - extend the rental contract (ouch) and wait for the tC, which looks absolutely beautiful and could be my perfect car ;-))) or continue drudging around the lots trying to find something that I like ok so I can get rid of the rental and have some transportation...

Thanks for any info (or educated guesses ;-)), I'm not really sure what to expect with these!

PS: Just going back looking at some previous posts, and see people have put deposits on them... awhile ago... Does it worry you to put a deposit on a car you haven't test driven? Just curious, if I *knew* I'd like it, I'd see if they'll let me do that too - but I worry that there'd be something inside that bothered me... thanks.
  • scootertrashscootertrash Posts: 698
    Did you ask your dealer when they'd be in stock?
    Seems like that would be the place to start.

I never test drive new cars before I buy them.
    I like the element of surprise.
  • atlantagirlatlantagirl Posts: 11
    I called one local dealer... it sounded like they wouldn't be in til July, first few weeks, but he didn't really sound sure...

You don't test drive the cars? Wow! I can't imagine... there have been a few cars that I thought for sure I would love that really didn't turn out too well on the test drive. Stuff I hadn't even thought of seems to pop up...
  • scootertrashscootertrash Posts: 698
    I bought my Scion by mail.
    I never even sat in one until I drove mine off the lot.
    Satellite Tuner/Antenna by Pioneer $695.00

I'm surprised they don't offer a navigation system and charge $3,000 for it. Did a search and you can buy a Pioneer Tuner for around $120-$150 and a Pioneer Antenna for $60-$120. Once you start adding these overpriced accessories the value of this car is out the window. And of course you have the $10 monthly fee to keep it going.
    http://info.detnews.com/autosconsumer/autoreviews/index.cfm?id=14- 819

"Another quirk in the interior design of the tC was the appreciable lack of head clearance for any driver measuring over 5 feet 6 inches. By the end of the day, I felt like a giant driving around on a big wheel, which is a ridiculous sensation, given that I am only of average height.

I would be more than willing to sacrifice the power sunroof to yield some precious extra space for the noggin. Unfortunately, the panoramic roof comes standard."
This discussion has been closed.