Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion tC

Comments

• andeetandeet Posts: 142
    My transmission is holding quite well even at 96k.

Perfect quiet exhaust would be TRD. Try buying online through trdsparks.com (they are Toyota dealership based in S.C. they sell TRD parts alot less than your dealer.)

If people freak out about adding performance parts thinking it could void warranty? Go with TRD. I installed my TRD CAI (aka Cold Air Intake) at 25k; my dealer didn't say anything at all. In fact, service consultant stated "TRD is still Toyota part." Alot of people say "aftermarket" is okay.

Couldn't tell you anything about warranty and header. I'm guessing it will and that's why I waited this long for one. I'm buying DC Sports since its 50 state legal and its ceramic coated. I'm getting it for 310.00. You can get headers at any aftermarket online sites. Weapon R is the most expensive, all steel going for 800.00 but the rasp is unbearable. There's going to be rasping but DC Sports isn't that bad compared to Weapon R. I hope you know about the Check Engine Light problem? It will be on and won't come off.

If you ever want to hear what these exhausts or headers sound like go onto youtube and play all of them. It helps.
  • cdmuilecdmuile Posts: 152
    Andeet,You're absolutely right about the TRD axle back exhaust. Mine has been on for a week and I love it! Muted but definitely there. It really helps me get reacquainted with a manual. Now if my neck would just hold out. WRC driver I ain't......yet. Thanks for your input.
  • goodstargoodstar Posts: 27
    I just purchased a used Scion Front End Mask Bra that is missing the male end of the snaps that hold the corner of the bra at the wheel wells. My local dealer checked and said they do not list just the snap pieces that attach to the car. Has anyone else tried to find the snaps from another source? Would appreciate any help.
    I have never been used mask bra. Couldn't work with the Ground Effects kit. It's in the same box sitting with the rest of my parts.
  • goodstargoodstar Posts: 27
    Would it be possible to take a picture of the male end of the snap that fastens to the car and post here so I could see what they look like? (I'm not sure how or if you can post pictures here) The bra I have is in perfect condition but I need those snaps. Would you be willing to part with those snaps?
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Very easy to post pics. Upload the pic to your CarSpace or photo bucket. On the bottom of your post you see the buttons above the Emoticons. Click on the "Img" then paste the url where your picture is stored. Click on "Img" again and Voila! pic in post.
    Like this:

I went to Carspace photo section and picked any photo. I right click on the photo and scroll to "properties", click on properties and highlight the url and copy it then paste to my post after clicking on Img, once the url is pasted click on Img again.
  • Hi andeet. Is it a good idea to run Sythentic 5-20 Mobil 1 in a brand new car??? Is the quality/reliability of a Scion as good as the Honda Civic? I have heard that there are quality problems with the Scion tC. You wouldn't think so since Toyota makes the car! However, I do NOT see many Corollas on the road that are more than 2 years old. You have said that it is a good idea to order online vs the dealer as far as performance, i.e., a TRD CAI and axel back exhaust. Where would be the best online store to order? tyvm :shades:
  • I have to have a tC that has tires that will handle rain and snow. I know the tC comes with 17" wheels with touring tires that can't be used in the snow and are probably not that great on wet/rain roads. If this problem can't be solved, I may have to go to the Honda Civic. I wish 16" wheels with all season tires could be ordered but I do not think that is possible. tyvm :shades:
    I use Mobil 1 5-20 but last Tuesday doing my oil change. I've found two small clumps while draining out oil. So..I'm thinking of forking the extra $$$ and order Amsoil in bulk. Amsoil is the true Sythentic oil. $10.00s for a guart; thats how good it is.

Quality-Civic versus tC? I never owned nor want to own Civic. So the only thing I can say is Civic (I'm going to say) doesn't have the tC's rattles. But does have the same paint issue I was reading reviews. Being complete honest, if you want more performance don't want to spend the $30k price tag for Si. I would go with the tC. Also being a Scion owner who puts in $3k performance parts during warranty mileage including a Cold Air Intake. I never had problems with my dealer threating me to void my warranty with all the aftermarket. Remember that's why Toyota bought out Scion in the first place.

Here in Wisconsin- We see Corollas everyday including those 1980s Corollas that might look like rusted beer can least they are still running. I see more 2000's and '08 Corollas than new Civics.

http://www.trdsparks.com/displayparts.php?Mdl_dtl=545&Part_cat=2&parts_id=402

For the muffler, unless you're planning on having the dealer to installation?
    --------------

For 16 inch tires. I guess you never heard about the Special Package level? With tire size 205/55R16 that including plain looking steelies and wheel covers? Toyota offered for customizing. Cheaper price tag without 17 alloy wheels, sunroof (But you still get the glass roof), without audio controls on steering wheel. Also remember there are such thing as Winter tires? But I also know a hidden trick with our tires and wheels? That drove the service department crazy. LOL
  • tyvm for your responce, Scion Diva (andeet)! We greatly appreciate the info. Can you start using the Amsoil at your first oil change? Again, tyvm :shades:
    I think you can???? Because they recommend for you to start the oil when your car is fully functioning. They stated cars with leakage and use large amounts shouldn't change to Amsoil. There are shops that will do Amsoil but I couldn't tell you how much it is. Might be more since they say you can drive 7,500 miles on a oil change with Amsoil.

Remember tCs are okay to drive in snow. I just don't recommend to buy one during a snow storm. LOL You'll have to learn how to drive it first before taking on snow. I have tricks to drive in the snow with my car and get by.

My hidden trick with all season tires to keep traction on the snow is....rotating tires every month during the winter.
    Why not buy the tC and then get a set of all seasons with 16 alloys at TireRack?
    :shades:
    Trust me do what he said....

If you look closer at my wheels, you'll see wheel damage caused by driving on this everyday!

Stupid city has to plow my neighborhood LAST in the whole city! :mad:

That's okay, cause I get paid three times during October. So I'm taking that money and going to a tire shop and buying myself some 17 inch winter tires for my OEMs. Then next Spring, I will go back and buy myself 18 inch all seasons with sport wheels. Maybe if I get bored with them, I'll go with 18 inch chrome wheels with Summer tires then when I want to go to the drag strip... I'll switch them out with the sport wheels.

Trust me if I do have three sets of wheels.... I'll use all sets during the year. Since I'll be saving tread throughout the whole year.
  • I agree with andeet: Good point mack! tyvm greatly appreciated :shades:
    Better yet, stay with a 17in wheel or even go up to an 18 with a wider thread. Check this out:
    link title

Here's another wheel, 18in.
    link title

You can get a wheel and tire package for less than a wheel package will cost you at the dealership. Plus they are ready to mount when you get them or you can have them drop shipped at a recommended installer and have them installed for a nominal charge. I've been doing business with them for over 10 years. They are the best.!
    :shades:
    I've been doing alot of research within the past twenty minutes. I've noticed how many p*ssed off Toyota owners are there in the World. I think I might "spy" at my valves and see if they are "oil clean" or they are "sludge clean" then go from there. If my valves are clean then I'm very lucky to find it this soon and stop by the dealer's service shop see what they recommend.

I'm praying its something minor like me changing the oil twice prior to 5k like 4,5-4,6k. I didn't do it this time? Or next time I wait to competely drain out the oil and wait for an hour not fifteen minutes.

Some people on Scionlife are telling me to change grade of 5-30?
  • I'm really concerned about the quality of Toyota as of late. Yes, there are a lot of P'od Corolla/Scion owners out there! I'm really seriously thinking about going to Honda Civic...getting an EX with 140 horses; and enjoy the reliability, and gas milage. I simply don't see these problems on the Honda Civic forum. God bless all, :shades:
  • P.S. I might even go with the '09 Mazda3 or the '09 Mazda6! Man, they look awesome! :D
    They are all nice. With the exception of the OZ Leggera's, the others look like the wheels you can get from Scion as an "upgrade". Stay with the aftermarket, OZ, G-games, Borbet, ASA, etc..They are high quality wheels and cost less than the ones offered by the dealers.

broder, ignore the comments you're hearing about engine sludge. Toyota did have a sludge problem with their V6 engines in the Toyota Sienna, Avalon, Lexus ES300, and Camry. This however, was on the 1997-2003 model years for some of the cars and it did not include all years. Also, you may like to know that a lot of these "affected sludged mobiles" were the fault of their owners. I personally saw quite a few sludged engines at our shop where the oil and filter had never been changed. Just imagine a 98 Toyota Avalon without the valve cover and instead of oil what you see is sludge that looks like chocolate pudding and has the consistency of hair gel. The oil filters are marked at the factory and some of these vehicles still had the same oil filters on them. A lot of owners denied their lack of maintenance and Toyota being the pro-active company that it is decided to repair and replace these engines at no cost to the consumer and extended their warranties.
    Any engine no matter who makes it will sludge if you don't change the oil at the recommended intervals. Make sure you use the right type and weight for your driving conditions.
    Andeet, since you live in very brutal cold weather I suggest you use a thin oil like the 5w-30 or even 5w-40. Look in your owner's manual and see what's the lowest temperature requirement.
    Mack