Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Saturn L Series replacement

Comments

• I think GM is going to put some good effort into replacing the current car. One way of looking at it would be the other cars that are on the same platform as this one will be. GM had done some good effort in those car. I think this car is going to either help redefine the Saturn line up or just go so far as the Ion. I do know one thing. It's length is going to be the same as the Malibu's
  • GM should have dropped the L class this year and just renamed all the Opel models. Signum looks about 100 times beter then the 'Bu. Vectra Wagon will be a great styling change from the dumpy L wagon.
  • bretaabretaa Posts: 130
    Joey2brix: I agree. This is in the works (Opels as Saturns in the future), but probably will not be reality until later in the decade.

- Bret
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    they might not meet the US Safety and Emissions standards and might require some work.
  • theo2709theo2709 Posts: 476
    The UAW makes it almost impossible for GM to import volume cars.
  • bretaabretaa Posts: 130
    The Opels won't be imported. They'll be built here and badged as Saturns...

- Bret
  • theo2709theo2709 Posts: 476
    I know, I was replying to people who wanted to "bring" the Vectra here which would be almost impossible.
    would be to copy it with US parts, keep most of the interior, and build it in the states with a Saturn badge.
    any news on the Saturn L-Series replacement?
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Posts: 464
    Sales are so bad GM might pull the plug at the end of '04. The 3.0L engine plant in England is being shutdown this summer so the end of the L series is likely. This is bad news for Saturn: only ION and Vue models. I hope Opels are being rebadged as we speak.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I think its good news for Saturn. Not having the old and underwhelming L-Series (how many names did it have anyway??) around might make it easier for dealers to concentrate on selling the ION and VUE. In Saturn showrooms, the L-series is more of a distraction than anything else. If I remember correctly, the L 300 4 cyl. is Consumer Reports LOWEST ranked midsize vehicle. That cant help sales.

~alpha
  • Saturn Big1 2 and 3

or

Saturn Uranus
    Sounds good. Just bring the Opel over, remove Opel name and put on a Saturn label. The model names all sound good:
    Saturn Signum
    Saturn Vectra
    Saturn Astra

You need to keep the customer traffic up. The Olds display at the NYIS looked like a morgue. 2 cars? Why have a division with 2 cars?
    Oh, I forgot about Relay. But I think most of us will forget about the Relay.
    Um, what?

"The Olds display at the NYIS looked like a morgue. 2 cars? Why have a division with 2 cars?"

Did you meant to say "Saturn"?

If not, I hope this helps:

The Olds division is being phased out. Those vehicles at the auto-show were Cranberry in color, right? Those are the final cars being produced by Olds, some kind of special edition models, which officially ends production with the 2004 model year. The eventual phase-out method was done to mitigate long-term depreciation woes. A majority of the hit has already occured, as most people are aware of Olds' demise, and resale values, though still fairly poor, have actually improved slightly for the models that remain, the larger volume sellers for Olds, and therefore, the models that more people own, and will need to re-sell. (Obviously, this is an oversimplification, there are many factors as to why GM choose to phase out Olds instead of up-and-cancel a la DaimlerChyrsler and Plymouth, but depreciation, along with dealership and labor concerns, dictated the decision).

~alpha
    But as a display, it was pathetic to look at. I can see Saturn having just 2 models when it first started out, but hey it's over 10 yrs already. The writing on the wall for the L series was there from the 1st model yr. All the Opel talk should have started 2 years ago. GM even teases you with the Curve, that they say won't be built. Why bother when they already are building Buick, Pontiac and I'm sure Saab is next. They even seem upset that the Nomad didn't get great public attention. They're not happy unless they get 4 or 5 re-badges out each model. Is there really demand for 200K 2 seat rag tops?
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    both a hard and soft top vehicle.

The Nomad, for example, is a small four seater hatch. The Curve, which contrary to your assertion probably will be made in some form or another, is a hardtop with an admittedly small rear seat.

Straight rebadging Opels would not help Saturn. Opels are not designed to meet federal standards. It would be impossible to import Opels and profitably sell them in Saturn's price range.

The plan for Saturn and Opel is to design from the platform up a vehicle to be made and sold in Europe, North, and South America. Rushing something through to get product in will simply mean another possibly decent, but troubled vehicle as the L was.
    getting Opel's version ready for Saturn should be easy. Waiting for the next platform means another 2 or 3 yr wait min. Is GM gonna let Saturn continue to bleed? I don't think the Relay is the solution. The no haggle system doesn't work and maybe it's time for Saturn to move up the price ladder slightly if the future cheap line will be Daewoo based.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    Plymouth was down to the Neon and minivan, no real loss.
    Because where is Plymouth now? I don't think we want Saturn to suffer the same fate.
    The VUE is the cheapest AWD utility that one can buy with Honda's excellent 250 hp 3.5L V6.

Nicely equipped at $24,800, (includes side curtains), with rebates and financing available.

~alpha
    why can't Saturn and Honda partner together to make one youth division? The upside is that Honda won't need another youth division- simply give the Fit and City Saturn badges. The problem is that owners of Saturn Fits will have to decide between trading up to A Chevrolet Cobalt, Saturn ION or a Honda Civic. Wonder which one they'll pick.... Hmmmmm....
  • rdeschenerdeschene Posts: 318
    I was wondering how accurate the intellichoice.com ownership cost figures are in the experience of actual L-series owners here ?

Over the first 5 years of ownership they estimate the maintenance cost to average $458/year and repairs $132/year.

I ask because their figures for my Oldsmobile Alero are pretty far off my own experience, so I wonder if this inaccuracy is endemic or just model or case specific.

I'd ask in an ACTUAL L-series forum but they're all now read only. Not great if you're interested in seeing reports from current owners of 2-4 year old vehicles (really nice info if you're buying used). I don't understand Edmunds' logic there.
    Theres so little interest in this truly subpar vehicle that it doesnt really warrant an open discussion. Edmunds.com TH automatically archives discussion topics that have languished for a period of time. I dont think that the super rebates even justify the purchase of this car, there are just so many better cars on the market.

~alpha
    I disagree.

As far as the V6 L wagon is concerned, I think GM really had something here (a mid-priced wagon with decent handling and quite good hwy mileage) but GM "couldn't market scissors to a world trapped in a paper bag" and didn't spend the extra to make a really reliable product.

When I look at the altenatives (Subaru, Volvo, Saab, VW, Ford) they all either fail in terms of acceptable power, parts cost or mpg.
    The Legacy wagon, even the base 168hp H4, is a far superior product to the aged and umimpressive L-Series, as is the VW Passat 1.8T. Parts cost on the Legacy isnt high, but MPG is competitive with the L-Series, and the Legacy GT will trounce the L in acceleration, with the aforementioned base model not running far behind the L, whose V6 offers but 14 more hp. The other makes you mention dont really market midsize moderately priced wagons.

That said, the wagon market is a very small slice of the pie. In terms of sedans, name ONE SINGLE competitive advantage of the L-series, over say... Accord, Camry, Altima, 6, Malibu....

~alpha
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    We really need to focus on the L-series replacement due out for the 06 model year. If you want to compare vehicles, try the Wagons board for the wagon version, or the Sedans board. You can ask the host there to re-activate the L-series discussion, or post in one of the "help me choose" or "help me select" discussions. Thanks!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Well it doesn't appear there's enough activity here to assess people's actual maintenance & repair costs, so I'll try saturnfans.com

Good luck with your cars,
    Rick D.
  • this info was found on the car and driver web site during the last few days.;
    >>>
    General Motors said it plans to invest $200 million to upgrade one of its Kansas plants, where a new Saturn mid-size car will be built to replace the slow-selling L Series, Reuters reported.

Saturn decided to end L Series production this summer, a year ahead of schedule, because the car has been a sales flop since it was launched in 1999.

The new Saturn car, which will be available as a 2007 model, will be built in GM's Fairfax manufacturing site in the latter half of 2006. The plant, which employs about 3,000 people, currently builds the Chevy Malibu and Malibu Maxx. <<<

I own the Maxx and had a chance to meet the Fairfax plant manager and staff - they appeared to be a hard working bunch that wants their cars to be good
    It's been a long time since I've seen one on the road. Maybe a year.
  • setzersetzer Posts: 127
    i just saw one today. but away from that, i'm not sure if i've ever seen one.

anyway, what do you think Saturn needs to do on their L-series replacement to get sales, and what would you personally want to see?
This discussion has been closed.