Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Sport Trac (pre-2007)

libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
I love the style and roominess of these vehicles. I see them all the time, so why isn't there an active discussion about them? And yes, they have a bed so they are crew cab short bed pickups NOT SUVs.

Comments

• lennxlennx Posts: 73
    There was a group once but discussions died out.

This is an interesting vehicle. I just took one for a ride yesterday along with a crew cab F150. Both had a good ride for trucks.

I liked the power back window and lower step in height of the Sport Trac.

I am thinking of waiting for the new GMC 4 dr Canyon to come out before I make a final choice.
  • libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
    If i were u, I would just take the Sport Trac. The Canyon will likely be more expensive and unless u need a longer bed, the Sport Trac will serve u well.
    saddaddy, have you ever heard of a crew cab pickup? If not, this is exactly what the Sport Trac is. SUVs by defintion do not have beds.
  • campoutcampout Posts: 22
    Hello to everyone on the list. I personnally the Sport Trac is a great all around vehicle. My wife and I currently own a '97 F-150, but we just don't need that big of a truck for the things we do. Yes it is a pickup truck, it has a bed. But here in Illinois you can get either truck plates or passenger car plates, they can't make up there minds. I agree with Lennx that I may wait to see how that GMC Canyon might be, dealers should have them by Nov. That is a nice looking truck and should be decent competion for the Dodge Dakota. I definitly want to take a Sport Trac for a test drive, I am sure it would fit all our needs, but don't know if the bed is big enough for what we want to use it for, coming down from a full size truck don't want to go too small. Any input appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Paul
    The interior is as big as your F150 probably. Try to get the leather option and u'll have a beautiful interior without too much excess cost. You'll just have to see about the small bed, remember however there is a bed extender.
  • mastersonmasterson Posts: 1
    Well all, I had excitedly waited a long time for the Chevy/GMC S-10 replacement, but ended up buying an '03 ST and here's why; and it came during the long wait. First the explorer's engine has been around, while the GM inline engine might be better, it is virtually untested in the marketplace (timewise); anyone can research the Ford's issues and know what they are getting. Second, the Sport Trac has and will have the most interior room, granted it will also have the smallest bed. However, think about what you need the bed for, I can still bring home 8' lumber with no problem. The only lose with the bed is volume (i.e. dirt, stone, sand, mulch)otherwise I didn't see the difference between a 4' bed and a 6' foot bed, especially while sacrificing interior room (kids). Third with the economy, it was a great time to take advantage of low financing and rebates. I would be very surprised if a brand new model from GM that has a market eagerness will need rebates to sell the first year.
    Maybe this should be listed in pickups and SUVs.

What are people who have the Sport Trac getting for real world MPG?

If the Canyon pricing is similar to the Sonoma, I think it will be compettive with the Sport Trac. In the north east, I see adds for the Sport Trac for $22K - 23K. Sticker on a Sonoma 4 dr is in the $25 to $26K range.
    Wow the bed is short.

My bike is about 64" long. It fits in the F150 Supercrew bed fine. Not even close in the Sport Trac. I am not fond of the bed extender since it open.
  • mosseymossey Posts: 4
    REVIEWS STATE THAT THE SPORTS TRAC IS POOR FOR OFF ROAD DRIVING. THE OFF ROAD FOR ME DRIVING IS ON THE BEACH OR TAKING SIDE ROADS IN THE MOUNTAINS. NO SERIOUS OFF ROAD STUFF. NEED TO KNOW DEFINITION OF "POOR" IN THIS REGARD AND WHAT CAN I EXPECT WITH THE BEACH AND REGULAR MOUNTAIN OFF ROAD DRIVING. THANKS
    It has a bed. It is just a crew cab pickup. Nobody calls the Nissan Frontier, Ford F150, Dodge Ram, Dodge Dakota, Toyota Tacoma, GMC Sonoma/Chevy S10, Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra crew cabs an SUV yet they all have as much room in the cabs as SUVs.
    As I recall Ford chose to call it an SUV with Explorer name in the hopes that they could charge more $ for it. However the bed (even one as short as this) in my mind makes it a pickup truck.

Hoever I would still like to see this croiss posted in the SUV section too. I am sure some owners bought into the "its an SUV".

Are there any owners out there reading this?
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    The reason Ford chose to call it the Explorer Sport Trac, was because they wanted people to pay a bit more money for it, considering it has the Explorer name, plus they tally the sales onto it's Explorer nameplate. Just as Camry has the Camry-Solara, just as Matrix gets grouped into Corolla sales.

The previous Explorer was based on the Ranger platform, the Ranger is a pick-up truck. This vehicle is closer to being a Crew-Cab Ranger, than Explorer with it's cargo area open. The future of this vehicle depends on the next generation Ranger debuting 2006. Ironically Ford DOES have a Crew-Cab Ranger being sold in other markets around the world.
    No, but the Ranger Crew-cab, is. Just take a look at some of the Ford global websites.
    The Ranger is UGLY in United Kingdom. The double cab looks VERY small and has no available leather like the Sport Trac. We are lucky. Is the U.K. Ranger based on the same platform as U.S. Ranger?
  • hersheytxhersheytx Posts: 3
    I bought my Sports Trac last year. 02 model year. I had a 98 Explorer, Eddie B. model. The Sport-Trac gives me an exact copy of the interior of my Explorer. Even the leather and option package was the same. Only difference was the back window goes down. Which I love. My wife is happy because she has space for friends. I get the extra bed for our business.
    It drives great. Feels solid. Only wish I could get a V-8 with it. But I must admit the V-6 has got plenty of punch.
    This is my fourth Ford in 8 years. So far I have not had any problems with any of them. I also have owned 2 honda's, New Beetle, 2 Grand Cherokees, and a GMC Sonoma. I like cars. Hehe.
    If you are on the fence about this vehicle, only thing I can tell you is Ford will deal to get you to buy one. I told them I was thinking about buying another Jeep and they bent over backwards to get me in it.
    Jeff Heiss
    Dallas, Tx
    Is the U.K. Ranger based on the U.S. Ranger???
    Yes, it's roughly based on it, maybe not as updated, but same thing practically.
    I have a big led foot. So I will be honest. 15 miles to the gallon at best. I know that if I was a bit more conservative I could up that to 18 to 20. I have only been on one long trip with S-T. Most of my driving is in Dallas proper.
    Hope that helps.
    Gas milage sounds like only 1 to 2 mpg better than a full size truck. Since I do not drive much, a full size truck may be better.

I took a Tacoma and a Tundra out for a ride. The Tacoma was terrible. It was jittery on flat roads. Did not even complete the loop with it. Tundra was much nicer. I think the Sport Trac had a slightly better ride but the Tundra was quieter.
    I have a big led foot. So I will be honest. 15 miles to the gallon at best. I know that if I was a bit more conservative I could up that to 18 to 20. I have only been on one long trip with S-T. Most of my driving is in Dallas proper.
    Hope that helps.
  • if you need ot done right it will not be done their
  • cookie01cookie01 Posts: 369
    This has to be the most quiet board on Edmunds.
    That's a shame.

The hubby just bought an Exporer ST this weekend. We really like the vehicle. It's perfect for us. With the bed extender we were able to take the bikes and do a nice bridge tour of our city. One bike is a tandem... but it fit nicely.

Looking forward to camping trips, and a trip to Montana next summer. This is just the vehicle we needed. Plenty of room in the back for friends, kids, stuff and the bed holds what we need it to hold.

Thanks Ford.
    Sometimes, not news, is good news :) Much better than having a forum where everyone is complaining about the bad quality and horrible reliability of their vehicle... SO at times, quiet is good :)
  • cookie01cookie01 Posts: 369
    That's a great point! But see, I drive a Mazda6 and it's one of the most active boards on the site... So I'm not used to the quiet.. heheheh.

So far (only about 70 miles) we really love this truck and the deal was TOP NOtch! There's a place on the rear wheel well where if you turn left the tire sort of rubs. We'll get that fixed next week when the dealer replaces the rear bumper. There was a hole in it from "lot damage" the dealer is ordering a replacement.

other than that... I think we'll be happy campers.
    True, the Mazda6 board has been extremly active because the vehicle itself is a fresh new product that has delighted and amazed many as well as received numerous positive press about it.
  • ldean4ldean4 Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Sport Trac. Love it EXCEPT that I commute up and down the Colorado foothills every day and find that the engine power going uphill is exceeding lacking. Does anyone know if Ford ever plans to offere a V8 or something with more umph?