Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• This screen I was referring to is the Blue Tooth screen in the car.....not the phone itself, but I can't remember which now..........but as I said my Toyota dealer knew about and suggested it and walked me through it. If your dealer is somehow unaware, then try calling Toyota of Escondido and ask for Sean Roeder.........he is the one who helped me and it does work better now.
  • I just bought a limited with everything but nav & RES for 34,300 in the Cincinnati area. Have not driven it much yet but so far I really like it.

Thanks for all the insight from this board, it really helped me get a fair deal.
  • Congrats on the new car!! I also have a Limited, since late December, and am still in love with this car. Drives very well and suits my needs almost perfectly. You will also find a lot of good help here on this board, with lots of good interaction and opinions.
  • I am experiencing this too. I can't figure out what it is or what causes it. I have had my Highlander for 1 week and I have heard the noise 2 of those 7 days. Today I heard it from the driver and passenger sides.
  • When the new Highlander first came out, and was tested by various auto publications, it was roundly criticized for its "overly light and assisted steering", which left less road feel, etc. I have heard a lot of cars have gone to electric assisted steering, mainly because it saves on fuel economy.
    I think it would be interesting to hear back from the group on what all of your feelings are about this, now that many have had their cars for several months.
    In my own experience, I mostly drive only this car, so I have gotten very used to it and think it feels just fine. In fact, when I drove my wife's 2000 Lexus GS300 awhile back, at first the steering felt "very heavy", almost truck-like at first.
    So what do you think? Is it still "too light" and an issue, or is it something that you get used to and not a problem?
  • Has anyone used the Costco auto purchase program to buy a Toyota Highlander? I am looking to purchase a Limited Hybrid Highlander? Is the price good through Costco? Close to the invoice?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,016
    Check out the Purchasing Programs (AAA, Costco, BJ's, etc.) discussion too.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I never minded it. Although, coming from a 2-door sports car, the whole experience was new. I do really like the ride and the little bit of luxury of the HL Ltd.
  • vtgk7vtgk7 Posts: 17
    For the past day I have been getting a 5 note chime every 2 minutes from my 08 Highlander Ltd. No doors open, no weight on seats, I have my seat belt buckled, and I keep getting this 5 note chime even when the vehicle is stopped and the engine running. I haven't had time to have the local dealer look at it. Just wondered if anyone else had this unique problem?
  • I received Costco pricing info., but I was able to purchase a vehicle lower than the Costco price. It's good info. to have though. The Costco dealer I received pricing from added wholesale financial reserve and the holdback onto the invoice which added almost $1000. The internet manager stated that it was the maximum price Costco allowed. I said that, "It may be the maximum, but it doesn't mean it's their minimum." I don't think he appreciated my comment.
  • brian62brian62 Posts: 30
    I started by contacting my dealer through Costco. They quoted me $1,000 over invoice on HL Limited 2WD. She ended up selling it to me at invoice +$369 doc fee.
    I have done this with my last two car purchases and I think using Costco lets them know you are serious about price and you will give your business to the dealer with the lowest price.
  • brian62brian62 Posts: 30
    I would have to say that my HL Limited 2WD does have a very light touch on the steering wheel. I would compare it to a car that has a good 10-15k miles on it and is well broken in.
    I don't mind the light touch, I prefer it to the truck feel.
  • In the interest of preventing poor Sean from being innundated with calls ...I was finally able to research this. Here's how to access the menu and increase the bluetooth microphone volume on your '08 Highlander.

Note that I've been successful doing this with my '08 HL Sport with nav; also note that there are plenty of other buttons in these setup screens, some of which can really screw things up, so resist the temptation to "play around."

1) Foot off brake, all doors closed

2) Set headlight switch to off/DRL

3) Turn ignition to "on" position - do not start the car. Wait for the nav disclaimer screen to appear.

4) Press and hold the "info" button, which is one of the nav buttons next to "disp."

5) While holding the "info" button, click the headlight switch back and forth from AUTO to OFF/DRL three times, about one movement per second. The sequence starts with the switch in the OFF position (step 2), and goes AUTO, OFF, AUTO, OFF, AUTO, OFF.

6) If you've been a very good boy or girl, your nav screen will change from the disclaimer screen to a "System Check Mode" screen. Press MENU in the upper right hand corner.

7) From the Diagnosis Menu screen, press "Bluetooth TEL Check."

8) From the Bluetooth Handsfree Check Menu, press "Handsfree Voice Quality Set."

9) Now press the up arrows at "Send Voice Level" to adjust up from zero. I'm going to try a setting of 2 - I've heard that any higher settings than this and your voice will be louder but distorted.

10) Press "Set."

11) Back out of the menus as far as you can, then turn off the car.

12) Try out your new volume setting for the microphone!
  • toyseekertoyseeker Posts: 81
    Wonder how to do this if you have BT but not Nav ?

Hrmm...
  • ronnronn Posts: 398
    Wow deverbrian.....thanks for the info. Who would have ever fiqured this one out without help. I noticed yesterday that my system was too loud, so this is a big help to me also.
    It is interesting that you would have to use the lights to get through to this screen.
    Have a great day!
  • Funny you should ask. Here are the steps:

1) Hit yourself severely about the head and shoulders for making such a high dollar purchase as a Highlander without nav.

2) Ask your dealer for help, as they have to plug in their "intelligent tester" to make the change for you.
  • Now if your system is simply too loud for YOU, you can actually adjust that without going into the special screens. That's an adjustment off the "settings" part of the Bluetooth. My instructions are specifically to change the volume of the MICROPHONE as heard by the person you're CALLING.
  • ronnronn Posts: 398
    Thanks for that ! I forgot that I can adjust the volume under settings, however, I will find out if the microphone needs to be adjusted.
    As to your reply to another post, I almost didn't get the Nav., but I sure am glad I did. I felt for future resale I would be better off. I really love this Highlander, and plan to keep it awhile !
  • toyseekertoyseeker Posts: 81
    Now that was uncalled for....

In my state you can not buy a HL Ltd with Nav and without DVD Entertainment.

Since I have absolutely zero use for a DVD entertainment system, shelling out over $4k for both just does not make sense. However, if you'd like to send me a check for the above amount, I'll gladly go ask them to make the switch for me.

PS: I blasted Toyota on the last [non-dealer] survey for not offering NAV without DVD in my area. Before buying in NY, I had locates out for 3 weeks in Maryland and Virgina but to no avail...that would have meant a 600 mile round trip drive for delivery!

PSS: In hindsight, my $400 Nuvi w/ traffic and TTS (Black Friday deal) is FAR more useful than the HL Nav system.
  • qs933qs933 Posts: 302
    Hit yourself severely about the head and shoulders for making such a high dollar purchase as a Highlander without nav.

Well...not exactly. If you're going to use it, fine. If the advantages of having the integrated unit (larger screen for the backup camera, touchscreen interface to the radio, integration with the steering wheel controls, voice recognition, etc.) outweigh the cost of a handheld unit, fine.

Getting it just because the Highlander is a high dollar purchase? That's absurd.

Besides, take a look at this article about navigation systems and resale value:
    "Navigation Systems Hurt Resale Values"

All of this is moot for me; in my state (Hawaii), navigation is not an option. Our distributor just started bringing in navigation-equipped units in the Lexus lineup, but nothing on the Toyota side yet. I heard it had something to do with licensing fees.