Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    We have had DRL's for almost 20 years. I live in Southern Ontario well below the 49th parallel and south of many continental US states. When DRL's were first introduced I thought they were unnecessary. However, I have changed my mind over the years. You can identify a vehicle with DRL's, even is sunlight much easier than ones without DRL's. As Mr. West stated they are meant for YOUR vehicle to be seen. Bottom line--they work. I think legislation should be passed that older vehicles that don't have DRL's should have to turn their headlights on so they can be seen as easily.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    older vehicles that don't have DRL's should have to turn their headlights on so they can be seen as easily.

I tried it when driving in Canada and experienced forgot to turn the headlight off that required jump start from CAA.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    And just who's fault was that..??

You are required to use your headlights upon entering tunnels in many places in the US, how does that differ from having headlights on for/as DRLs and forgetting to turn them off...??
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    The highbeam assembly/reflector is the preferred method of implementing DRLs because they are designed, by default, to be seen at a greater distance than low beams, fog, or parking/turn/street lights.

And if you want to complain about oncoming light brightness bothering your eyes or being a danger let's get some laws passed that regulate this matter and be sure they are enforced.

1. NO front/front facing auxiliary lights whatsoever to be energized along with the low beam headlights.

2. Fog lights only allowed to be used during normal daylight hours and NEVER in combination with headlights.

3. All off-road lighting capability must be disabled when traveling on our public streets and highways and can ONLY be enabled/disabled from OUTSIDE the vehicle. Anyone stopped for other reasons and found to have off-road lights enabled would be cited for the violation

And finally...

All aftermarket HID/Xenon upgrades that do NOT self level and have SHARP distance illumination cutoff designs should be OUTLAWED.

I note that some folks are even installing HID kits to power fog lights...NOW JUST HOW STUPID IS THAT...???!!!
  • nimrod99nimrod99 Posts: 343
    I am fully aware that DRL's make you more visible (in places like Scandinavia, or Northern Canada), but there are studies (by the Europeans and other agencies) that show an increase in pedestian and motorcycle accidents (deaths) due to DRLs'. DRL's increase visibility of the vehicle that has them, but has the tendancy to make things around less visible.

Also - the main point of the argument is that DRL's are effective in twilight conditions, so why not put a light sensitive switch on the DRL's. It will save gas.

In the USA where ambient light is much brighter during the day, DRL intensity has to be increased.

Anyway, I have turned mine off. I will do my part to cut my CO2 emissions and potentially save the lives of pedestrians and motorcyclists
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 371
    I don't understand why so much space is being wasted discussing Daytime Running Lights. I wish I had them on my Mountaineer. Anytime I'm traveling on highway or especially two lane country roads I turn on my lights. I don't care what these studies say. To me I can see an oncoming car much better and others can see me much better when lights are on. I definitely don't think it reduces MPG or maybe I've misunderstood this part. That's getting a little Enviro-Wacko out there IMO.
    DRL's consume upto 0.25 mpg.
    0.25 mpg x 100 million cars = loads of gas.

Jeez, if you can't see a 5000 lb SUV in broad daylight, you need to have your eyes checked?.

" Fuel consumption will increase and, although it's not much per car, it is an astronomical dollar figure when multiplied by the millions of vehicles in this country. Conservative estimates place the figure at 604 million gallons of fuel per year, resulting in 8 billion pounds of CO2 being exhausted into the atmosphere. What's even worse, in testing vehicles for fuel efficiency, GM has requested -- and received -- permission from the federal government to disconnect DRLs so as not to be penalized for poorer fuel efficiency"
    There is no way DRL's consume 0.25 mpg. If that is the case what does AC
    consume-- 10mpg? There is simply no convincing you of the advantages of DRL's, therefore on to better things.
  • ronnronn Posts: 398
    I agree mtnman1. I think DRL's are very important. It is much easier to see a car with them turned on, especially cloudy days etc.
    I think all cars should have them. I also agree that the MPG thing is a little rediculous! We can go "green" while not being too overboard.
    While people can post anything here, I do believe alot of wasted time has been on this forum recently, between the Navigation issues and DRL issues. I would really like to get back to reading some great stories about folks who love their Highlanders and things that can be beneficial.
    I posted needing help with a Navigation issue the other day, and got my response and got the help I needed. That's when I really appreciate this forum.

Everyone have a great day!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    There is no way DRL's consume 0.25 mpg.

I think it's an oversimplification to look for a gas mileage equivalent for either DRLs or AC. Yes, they both use gasoline as their energy source but there are other overriding variables in the mix. Both DRLs and AC use energy at a rate that is pretty much independent of driving speed whereas the rate of gasoline consumption by the vehicle depends very strongly on driving speed.

The proper metric is actual energy usage. For example, AC uses energy at a rate of about 4 kW. A gallon of gasoline contains about 130 Megajoules of usable energy. This tells us that AC would take about 9 hours to use up the energy equivalent of 1 gallon of gasoline. But even that is not the whole picture. The conversion of the gasoline's thermal energy into electricity to power the AC is itself wasteful. If one third of the thermal energy actually makes it into electrical energy then the AC will expend the energy equivalent of a gallon of gasoline in about 3 hours. DRLs use energy at about one tenth the AC rate.

How that gallon of gasoline translates into mpg is another matter entirely. There would be a huge difference in the mpg equivalent depending on whether you're moving along at 30 mph in town or barreling along at 80 mph on the freeway.
  • ronnronn Posts: 398
    I find it very disturbing that the Highlander has not been rated by the editors of Edmunds, nor have they mentioned it in the SUV's anywhere.
    As I look through, the Highlander is not mentioned in any category. Since it has the highest reviews 105 at this point by consumers, I think that says alot about how much people love the Highlander, and have bought one.
    Why not test drive and rate this fine SUV before you move on to others such as the 09 Honda Pilot.
    The Highlander is one of the most economical SUV's in it's class, in addition to looks , dependability, and popularity I do hope Edmunds will get with it, and give us a great review on this fine SUV. I do not understand why it is continually left out. Tidester and Steve...how about some answers?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,921
    We aren't editorial - in fact, we aren't even close to the home office. So I don't know what plans they have for reviewing or comparing the Highlander. You can ask them yourself by using the Contact Us form in the Help link.

Meanwhile, maybe these links will hold you over:

2008 Toyota Highlander Review

Full Test: 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

2008 Toyota Highlander - Chicago auto show

Toyota Highlander Review

2008 Toyota Highlander: The Quintessential Family Car
  • I am pretty sure that you need a working remote to activate your Homelink. It is possible to buy new remotes and re-code to your existing opener...I had to do that this past year.
    Well, there are far more studies indicating the positive aspects of DRL's. Interesting that there are complaints noted of glare in the daytime from DRL's. If this is the case, which I have never noticed, I guess we had all better drive with our lights out at night. Sure a lot more glare on a wet road at night.
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Posts: 205
    It would be much better to move DRL discussion under it's own separate thread.
    I agree. Lets drop the subject and discuss other Highlander concerns. I believe DRL's have more advantages than disadvantages, another member disagrees. 'Lets leave it at that.
  • Sorry I did not see your reply quicker.....my 2008 Highlander Limited is 2WD, which perobably helps mileage by about 1-2 mpg depending on driving. I was also pretty careful with my driving and not stepping on the gas aggressively. I have also found that the car seems to have a real "sweet spot"for mileage. Mine appears to get better mileage shown on the instant mpg at about 75 mph vs 60.
    Ditto, lets drop it
    PS - It's not me that disagrees with you, it's the European Union (who originated the idea in the first place)
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 371
    Not surprising to anyone in this thread that you would have to get in the last word concerning this beaten to death subject.