Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Toyota Highlander

1139140141142143145»

Comments

• luckysevenluckyseven Posts: 134
    edited May 2011
    Hill assist needs to be activated by the driver RTFM. If you spend 3 minutes to learn how to use hill assist then there is no surprises in it's operation.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "..spend 3 minutes.."

Historically almost nobody reads the owners manual, and now that it's 300-500 pages....

Plus you have to know a function even exists before expending the time discovering how it works. I'd bet most salespersons don't even know "hill-hold" is now a standard feature on other than "off-road" vehicles.

"..needs to be activated by the driver..."

But apparently can be activated unknowingly or unintentionally.

And who is to say that some modern day vehicles don't automatically activate hill-start when/if conditions warrant...? There are numerous areas around here wherein automatic hill-start activation would be a welcome function.

Fewer "smoked"/smelly clutch drive-aways even for stick shifts were they to somehow have this feature implemented.
  • luckysevenluckyseven Posts: 134
    what is the point of your post?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    There wasn't one.
  • cbuyer5cbuyer5 Posts: 1
    Anyone know any differences in 2 models. Looks like some Sports were ordered with Leather,Nav,heated seats etc.
    Thanks
  • Not sure if this post is still active, but I have the same problem. Toyota told me it was dust as well, and repainted the hatch two years ago. I had the same problem the following spring after which they replaced and repainted the hatch, only to have the problems come back. My car is black, and rust can be seen and is certainly visable this is some sort of manufacturers defect with the type of metal used on the hatch or whatever. It's only on the hatch, and nowhere else on the body of the car. Please let me know how you made out.
  • Hi knwpsk, is your solution to the alarm problem still valid? We're having the same issue on our 08 hybrid limited. Many owners have replaced the hood latch switch to successfully correct the issue, but after reading your post, I'm wondering whether replacing the hood latch switch simply resulted in a proper hood adjustment in those instances where the replacement solved the problem. This would make sense after reading that someone replaced their switch and then had the problem recur. thanks.
  • I had the same issue on my 2008 HL Sport

After much investigation I found it to be the rubber gasket on the lip of the hood directly above the grill.
    The way the HL is designed, when you go to open the hood to release the secondary hood lock you naturally stick your left hand under the hood to lift it to release the secondary latch with your right hand. By doing this over time the rubber gasket in this area comes loose because there is a plastic clip in the underside of the hood that comes undone. I pushed it back in and the noise went away. The analogy here is like blowing air between a blade of grass in your fingers, The resonance point is between 40-45 MPH. To help ensure a good seal, I added a piece of foam weather stripping (black) 7/16" x 3/4" on the top of the grill between the grill and the gasket on the underside of the hood.This makes a better seal in this area. Nice and quiet (and now so is my wife!!!) :rofl2:
  • Here is another one who has the rust problem (~10 spots) on the hatch of a Highlander Hybrid Limitid '08 (green metallic). I got the car from FL and live now in Europe.
    What can I do, to get Toyota revarnishing the hatch? In late September I will be in the CA, but without my car...

In my opinion this issue is based on a factory error.
  • typemetypeme Posts: 3
    Well, I gave up on Toyota. Dealer told me that the car (2008) is out of warranty and the rust spots would have to be "thru the metal and not just spots".... Actually, hatch is not the worst place ... around each door handle (front and rear) I have "rust" circles where the handles attaches to the door. I think the rust making its way underneath the paint. Needless to say when in July, I traded in wife's Avalon for brand new Acura RDX...did not even look what Toyota had to offer. Still, the 2001 Avalon had never any paint (or any other) issues ...just old and mileage ...