Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• rmanchirmanchi Posts: 13
    Does anyone know if 2006 Non-Hybrid is going to have any more horses than the existing one (230hp). The hybrid is coming with 268hp but i think that is owing to the design of the new electric motor(s).

When can we except to see the non-hybrids trickling into the showrooms? Is there going to be a push back in that since the hybrids are probably getting ready on the same assembly line?

:confuse:
  • rmanchirmanchi Posts: 13
    This is IT....people. The news I was waiting for. I wanted to find out if 2006 model year non-hybrid will be a major revamp. It will not be. The major change will come in model year 2007 which will apply to the hybrid highlander for that model year.

According to Information Edmunds' has:

2007 Model Year Highlander

======================================================

What Edmunds.com Says: The Highlander will become even more humanized in its next version, borrowing plenty of cues from the FT-SX concept vehicle.

What We Know: Scheduled to appear in the fall of 2006, the next edition of the Highlander will ditch its utilitarian design for a shape closer to the FT-SX concept shown at the 2005 Detroit auto show. Although its will grow in most dimensions, the next Highlander will retain a manageable, easy to drive size. A larger V6 is expected with output in the 280 horsepower range. Like the current model, it will be offered in both front- and all-wheel drive, with a hybrid option virtually guaranteed. A hybrid version of the current Highlander is scheduled to go on sale this June, more than two years prior to the fully redesigned version of the vehicle.

=========================================================
  • charles12charles12 Posts: 79
    Hi All,

This dissucssion here is very useful.

I am planing to buy an SUV, and the highlander is on my list of first choice. However, it looks not as good as others. I noticed that the new 2006 Hybrid has a much better looking by just a little bit change on the rear body as well as in the front by adding an extra open space, which gives you the feeling that it is more stable than the 2005 model. I was wondering if the 2006 model of non-hybrid will have the same body appearance as the hybrid? Any one has any information?

The hybrid cost more than $7,000 than non-hybrid, which with $2.50/gal gas will take about 10 years to break even. Besides, you can buy a Lexus RX330 with the same amount of money. I was wondering again why people still buy hybrid instead of RX330 - a higher level car?

Thanks.

Charles
  • horns1976horns1976 Posts: 56
    Charles...I know someone who recently purchased a Lexus RX400h (hybrid) because it's the latest and greatest, gets better gas mileage, etc. This person never considered the RX330. The thinking was that the extra gas mileage will make up the extra cost of the hybrid. That is true but it will take years. Also, premium gas is recommended for the 400h. So, that means it will take even longer if you are comparing the 400h to a vehicle that does not require premium unleaded.

I too am interested in a non-hybrid Highlander. I don't drive enough to justify the hybrid. Any info. on the 2006 non-hybrid version will be greatly appreciated. I certainly hope it won't be an exact duplicate of the 2005.
    I checked with one of the local Toyota dealers. The salesman checked with Toyota corporate and was told that 2006 non-hybrid Highlanders should start arriving at dealerships in September. The salesman did not know if the body style would be changed from the 2005 Highlander. :confuse:
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    No expected changes for 2006 in terms of body style or equipment.

Hope this helps.

Ken
    Ken, that's disheartening. I really don't like the looks of the Highlander in its current incarnation. It was my understanding that the 2006 Highlander Hybrid is slightly restyled. Is this not the case???

If the 2006 non-hybrid is just a carryover of the 2005 Highlander, what's the incentive to pay extra for a 2006 over a 2005 other than a one-year newer vehicle?? Seems to me that you could buy a 2005 for a lot less than a 2006 and the savings would offset the depreciation???? :confuse:
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    I have not heard of ANY changes to the '06 model, although what is normal during the run of a particular body style is to give a different color option or two while deleting one or two and restyling the tail lights a bit.

That's honestly the way that I look at it myself, but some customers look at it the other way. Why would I pay X for the current year vs. X+Y is so close to that for a whole year newer vehicle. My own personal opinion from someone who keeps their vehicles for a while, is to purchase at the end of the model year and get the manufacturer programs when available. The difference in resale should be relatively close as you'll have a year older vehicle with low miles vs. year newer vehicle with higher miles and it all averages out in the long run.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • mbhrvmbhrv Posts: 2
    With the '06 Highlanders coming in September, does anyone have info if the August incentive will be better than the $800 currently being offered for the '05 in the northeast?

Many thanks in advance.
  • OK, I just don't get it, with the extra $10,000 or more in cost of the car, it would take me 15-20 years to make that up with the fuel savings to match the extra cost of the car. What am I missing or is no one concerned about the cost. Everyone seems to be concerned with the cost of the fuel but no one cares about the extra cost of the car. It would be one thing if it were just a $2-2500 diffrence. What am I missing?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,902
    You might want to check out our Hybrid Vehicles board, since this particular discussion is about the non-hybrid Highlander.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tomzpritomzpri Posts: 33
    Alpha01,

The numbers you quoted are inaccurate.

Toyota just got caught, they have been inflating these HP numbers, by 20HP for the 3.0!!! The 3.0 actually only gets 190 HP.

Toyota, Honda inflated claims of engine muscle; new tests force automakers to come clean with buyers.

• tourguidetourguide Posts: 188
    This may really tweak the US consumers who love their horsepower above all else, but I personally could care less. Chrysler is now making noise about reducing their hp numbers to "improve fuel economy". Who else here thinks this is nothing more than getting caught in the same artifical inflation of numbers and then saying - "Yeah for us! We are doing this to 'help' the consumer! Look at us 'trying' to improve fuel effeciency!"?

They are all telling us a story in this regard. Why else would it say 13mpg around town on my former 04 Expedition, but then I actually GET in the single digits? At least with my highlander I am meeting EPA standards around town. If I would drive slower I am sure I'd get them on the highway too.
  • avoguyavoguy Posts: 11
    I've been waiting for months for the 2006 Highlander instead of buying a 2005 because I expected the 2006 would add the backup camera to the nav system and make satellite radio available. I read months ago that Toyota had reached a deal to provide satellite radio -- think it was with Sirius. I will be very disappointed if they don't make these additions for 2006 and will then probably rethink about buying a Murano which makes these available. That will be sad because I like many things about the Highlander -- including the local dealer.
  • “The entry-level front-drive, four-cylinder Toyota Highlander has been dropped for 2006 and the remaining models have seen their stickers go up, which will raise the entry-level price for the four-by-four wagon by almost $5,000.

Until just recently (or maybe even still, if you look around), Toyota Canada dealers carried an FWD model with a $32,900.

With that model gone, the entry-level Highlander for 2006 is the 4WD V6 five-passenger model at $37,855, which is up from $36,900 in 2005. The seven-passenger 4WD V6 Highlander starts at $38,905, up from $37,950 in 2005”.

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/news,view.spy?artid=48368&pg=1
  • I am in the process of taking delivery of my new 2006 Highlander Limited and have found that the price has increased by only $695 over that of my 2002 model. I do not think that is an unreasonable increase given that the new model has a slightly bigger engine (3.3 vs 3.0), a 5 speed transmission and a third row seat (that I really do not need) along with several other minor updates. The only thing that I'm disappointed with is that it does not come with the 10 spoke wheels like those on the hybrid. I think they look nicer than the 5 spoke wheels, but I think I'll get over it. :)

My salesman told me that the entry level FWD model was discontinued because of a lack of demand for it. He advised that only 50 or so of these sold across Canada last year. :(
  • gpoltgpolt Posts: 113
    Per STEVE, Please re-name the forum - 2007 Toyota Highlander or Next Generation Toyota Highlander
  • mevandemevande Posts: 190
    I thought this forum was about ""2007 Toyota Highlander (non-hybrid) ", which looks radically (great!) different from 2006. People still seem intent on posting 2006 items. Will the moderator please change the name to ""Please re-name the forum - 2007 Toyota Highlander or Next Generation Toyota Highlander
    """' as one poster asked?

Thanks in advance!
  • ahujasuahujasu Posts: 15
    more pics of the ft-sx at toyotas website. Rumored to be the next highlander.

www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/ftsx.html
  • landdriverlanddriver Posts: 607
    Thanks for the link -- wasn't aware this existed on Toyota's website!

I've said it before in other forums, but just realized I've never said it here, the most important place to say it:

Indeed, according to edmunds.com Future Vehicles the new HL will be "borrowing plenty of cues from the FT-SX concept vehicle." edmunds says it'll be released in 2007.

motortrend.com Future Vehicle Forecast, in contrast, says it'll be released in 2008. "Redesigned on the Avalon platform, growing larger in size to make room for the RAV4."

My prediction is it'll be released in 2008:

1. There have been no spy pics, no press releases, no rumors about the redesigned HL yet, as there have been for the Camry.

2. They recently released the HL hybrid as a 2006 model; seems they would want to get more mileage out of the current design instead of doing a complete redesign the very next model year.

3. They just introduced the Highlander Sport, essentially a stripped-down Limited, probably to extend the life of the current design.
  • gasman1gasman1 Posts: 321
    Personally, I don't care for the new design. I like the present style. Style - to each his own. More importantly, I like the quality and value it represents. I just purchased my 3rd one a few weels ago. The 07/08 model may introduce significant advancement. It may also move significantly up the price ladder. My guess is that it will come out in early- to mid- 2007 as a 2008 model.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,902
    We're just going to leave the Forum title as-is for now.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    The HL has been out 5 years, and the Hybrid almost a year.

So the HL Hybrid will get a two year run, go on hiatus for 2008, and be reintroduced for 2009 in the new rig.

DrFill
  • I agree that there will be a change, probably 08 to distance itself from the new RAV4. I'm thinking more along the lines of a Lexus RX330 updated body style. What do you think? Also, think they'll drop the FWD for 4WD-i? Anyone out there have a photo program to give us your ideas?
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    The HL is on its 6th year. Although sales haven't suffered too much, a redesign should not be far away. Seven or eight years with the same exterior (not including minor changes) is unusual these days. So far, Toyota doesn't seem to be hurting too much. Although it appears the new RAV will take some of the sales away from the HL. Time for a change.
  • gunga64gunga64 Posts: 271
    When the HL came out it was around 20-21000 for a base model. Now they are selling the Rav at 21000 base.
  • gpoltgpolt Posts: 113
    assuming the body style stays current for 2007, will they drop the 3.5 in there like Lexus has done with the RX 350? It's an embarrassment that the RAV4 has more power AND gets MUCH better gas mileage compared to the HL.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    I would rather suspect both the HL and RX will get the newer 3.5L with DFI & DFI come the fall roll out.
  • sma3sma3 Posts: 28
    This doc (I saw listed on a siennaclub.org 2007 Sienna thread) shows that the Highlander is a carryover for 2007. However, it does show the 2007 Sienna getting the 3.5L engine as "available".

http://www.arifleet.com/pnews/2006/pn608.pdf