Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• dbtdbt Posts: 298
    The 2nd row on the HL slides back and forth but it doesn't on the Honda products.
    Half right, half wrong. The second row does slide on the current generation Pilot, but not on the new generation MDX.
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Posts: 508
    Obviously it hasn't bothered around 450,000 who have bought one so far...

I'm hoping to take a look at the 08 Highlander today for comparison--not in the market but eventually will want a vehicle like this for the family...
  • pabloxpablox Posts: 92
    I'm near Boston.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    "Obviously it hasn't bothered around 450,000 who have bought one so far... "

You're right. Toyota has finally found the formula to sell to the lowest common denominator. ;)
    Mackabee
    "Did not like the Plood at all, and the door panels also seemed cheap compared to my $25k Pilot (let alone an MDX). I think Toyota started going with not-as-nice textures on the 07 Camry, and it's spread here. "

This attempt at faux wood is better than previous models. At least it looks like wood in a satin finish. The cheap door panels actually started with the 05 Avalon and is just showing up in everything Toyota since. :(
    Mackabee
  • cali_alicali_ali Posts: 7
    I just saw the 08 Highlander in So.Cal and it does have the rear a/c it has a digital reading panel and nice clean finishing touches. It has a scaled down version of the larger dials that are on the main center console. I think they look sharp. I can't decide between the 4Runner and the Highlander. I know I will have more bargaining power with the 4Runner than the new 08 highlander. I love the look of the 4Runner, but know the highlander has a smoother ride and is possibly more practicle for my needs. What two cents can you offer to me?
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    Do you tow or off-road with any regularity?

DrFill
    No I do not tow, but have a company that will be contributing to the cost and paying all the gas on it. In exchange it will be turned into a wrapped billboard advertising my company. I do like the rear back window that rolls down for my large dog.
    Do you think the new body style will increase the margin of discount available on the 4Runner. Is it worth upgrading to the better shocks on the 4Runner limited? Navigation is a must for me because I will be driving all over the greater L.A and then some.
    4Runners sell because they have a sterling reputation, are attractive, stylish trucks, and have heavy-duty construction, for towing and off-raoding. The 4Runner drives very well for a truck-based SUV, but it feels 500lbs heavier than the '07 HL. Which can be good or bad, for some buyers. And the seating position is noticably higher, so that is also an attraction.

If you are going to drive it like a car, the HL serves tyour needs better, and will cost significantly less to run, like an Acadia vs a Tahoe.

If you don't tow, that nullifies the 4Runner. If you don't pay for gas, that nullifies the HL.

They both will ride well, but differently. It should probably come down to things like seat comfort/height, ergonomics, acceleration, and other intangibles. You won't lose, but these vehicles have very different missions in life by design.

In my neck of the woods, 4Runners aren't big sellers, and you can strike a great deal pretty easily, with $1500 or rate. :)

The Sprt has the X-REAS shock system for maximum stability and traction off-road, but I wouldn't call any 4rUnner a soft-rider, regardless of trim. Considering it's ride height and weight, you don't want too much body roll if you are Toyota.

I learned to drive, many years ago, on a 1990 4Runner, so it has a place in my heart. :blush:

DrFill
    FWIW, the 4Runner V6 has the same tow rating as the 08 Highlander (5000lbs). The 4Runner V8 tows about 7000 IIRC.
    "The Sprt has the X-REAS shock system for maximum stability and traction off-road,"

Doc, doc, where do you come up with this stuff? :sick:
    The X-REAS Sport Enhancement Suspension was designed to help improve vehicle on-road handling performance. If you want to know how it works I'll be happy to explain it to you. ;)
    Mackabee
    Got it mixes up with the GX470's system. Thanks. :)

DrFill
    Ok. So meant to say the KDSS system. Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • microbustmicrobust Posts: 56
    Thanks, I lived in Somerville (Somavil), MA for a couple of years. Boston's a great town.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    At these prices I'll just take the Pilot. They will have to market support these things to sell them.
  • qs933qs933 Posts: 302
    I have had a dealer here in NorCal say the rear A/C option may not be coming for some time, if at all.

The demo Limited 4x2 I test drove in Honolulu had the auto rear air option.

In fact, I think all of the Limiteds are going to have that option in Hawaii (the aforementioned "mandatory" option groups). It's just as well; in this climate, the more air-conditioning you can get, the better. :)
    I can't decide between the 4Runner and the Highlander.

Here's my two cents...

Back in 2001, I almost bought a 4Runner, but bought a Highlander instead. Although I liked the looks of the 4Runner better, the Highlander handled better, rode better, was quieter inside, felt more "modern," got better gas mileage, and was even slightly cheaper.

Off-roading and towing are not important for me, as I do neither. Everything in my head told me that the Highlander was the better vehicle for my needs, so that's what I bought.

Several years later, I sold the Highlander and bought a 4Runner. The 4Runner's redesign in 2003 made a huge difference in the way it drove, handled, rode, etc. It felt way more substantial than the Highlander (as it should have, given that it was wider, longer, taller, and heavier). I also loved the exterior (more so after they ditched the grey cladding).

Fast forward to today. I'm pretty sure my next vehicle will be an '08 Highlander Limited. I was initially disappointed with the new exterior from the photos, but after seeing it in person, I think it looks great (especially in Magnetic Grey).

There are new features that I'm looking forward to having: the power rear door, smart-key, Bluetooth, and rear-view camera. The latter two are available on the 4Runner with navigation only (not available in Hawaii). If any of these features are important to you, then the Highlander is the easy choice. If towing or going off road are important, then the choice is also very easy.

I wouldn't be surprised if I jump back to the 4Runner when the 5th generation is introduced in a few years. I guess that's one of the great things about having two mid-size SUVs with product cycles set several years apart.
  • stewartbstewartb Posts: 7
    While waiting for the 08 HL to come out, I fell in love with the 4Runner. I love the way the 4R looks and the rear power glass is awesome! After much discussion though, my wife and I decided that the HL was the more attractive buy, despite the deeper discounts offered on the 4R. For us, the major difference between the two vehicles was the quality of the interior. The 4R dash and controls seemed dated and the 2nd row bench wasn't very comfortable. The sliding 2nd row captain's chairs on the HL were a big plus.
  • microbustmicrobust Posts: 56
    It seems the rear seat A/C option is available just about everywhere but Nor Cal. That seems silly where we reguarly hit the century mark.
    The arbitrary options by region aspect of Toyota is truly assanine.
  • nxs138nxs138 Posts: 481
    Wife and I drove the HL Ltd today, and we both liked it. We have 2 young kids and are looking for 3rd row seating for occasional use:
    - throttle was responsive, we both thought acceleration was brisk, although engine noise was just a bit louder than I expected upon medium/heavy acceleration
    - very good road manners: not bouncy/harsh like SUVs, not too much lean in corners
    - my wife liked the visibility (she's 5'3")
    - front seats were comfortable. My arm fit on the center armrest, although an armrest built into the seat would probably be a little more comfortable.
    - bluetooth is nice!
    - cargo space behind the 3rd row is about 14 inches at the floor, and probably less than 6 inches at the top near the window. Enough room for a reasonable amount of groceries, or a folded-up stroller, or a few pieces of luggage (i.e. picking someone up from the airport). Not enough room for a beach vacation, that's for sure. Unless you fold down the 3rd row, and then you're set!
    - fake wood is what it is: fake looking
    - access to third row is non-existent: no way grandparents can contort their way behind that 2nd row. A better option will be to make them seat in the 2nd row, slide toward the middle and simply walk down to the third row via the space between the captains chairs.
    -3rd row seats are not split fold-down (the entire seat folds down)

The only comparison we have so far is the Acadia, which was also nice but bigger: extremely easy to access third row, much more room behind 3rd row, less engine noise than the HL, but acceleration is very laggy, no bluetooth, less visibility than the HL

So in our opinion, for a family of 4 the Highlander is better suited to our needs. We don't need all the room of the Acadia, but the Acadia is very competent and if I had 3 kids I wouldn't hesitate to get the Acadia. But man, they have to fix that sluggish acceleration, the Highlander wins hands down in that department.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Each region surveys it's dealerships and they vote on what they think is the best 'packaging' for that region. It's all subject to change each year and even sometimes during mid year.

In this way a region isn't forced to take 2WD vehicles when 90% of demand is for 4WD. OTOH in other districts like SE VA it's the reverse. 60-80% 2WD is what the buyers want.

And it's not that big a country. If one region doesn't meet your requirements then there's always other options. It seems to be working well in addressing the majority of buyers.

You are entitled to your opinion of course.
    We had previously tested a Ltd with Ash leather, NAV, DVD and everything else. The ride was great but the handling could have been better. Plus, we don't want to spend that much. So, today we tested a Sport with black cloth interior, no NAV but a few other options.

First off, the black cloth interior comes across as a lot cheaper than the grey leather interior. Even the door panels in black somehow seem cheaper.

As far as ride, it was definitely firmer than the Ltd but by no means harsh. I preferred it as the handling was more confident also. Anyone who calls either car harsh must be used to old Cadillacs.

The dealer is currently looking into whether he can get me a Sport with leather, NAV and a few other minor options. I also got him to agree to 3% over true cost (figuring in 2% of MSRP hold back). Wish me luck.
    It's been a while since I've seen an SUV with a black cloth interior. I reckon the outside is Silver?

DrFill
    The same amount of power as HL, but an extra 6-700lbs of full-size growth will slow the reflexs quite a bit.

Full-size SUVs need V8s. Real world economy will probably be lower in the full-size GMs, as merging and maintaining speed will be priorities. :(

DrFill
    The exterior was black also.

We might end up going for a Ltd if my wife decides she wants the 3rd row. Currently we're looking at deleting it. However, a Sport with leather, 3rd row, NAV, tow and some other minor options is only about $500 less than a Ltd.
  • oman9oman9 Posts: 97
    I swung by a local area dealer earlier this week (Family Toyota in San Juan Capistrano) and noted that all 08 Highlanders on the lot had a $5,000 "Market Adjustment" added to the sticker price. An earlier poster was noting a $750 markup...how about $5,000??? Good thing I don't need to purchase a vehicle in next few months, hoping to do so by the end of the year.

Anyone have experience with Family Toyota on the purchase and/or service side?
  • nimrod99nimrod99 Posts: 343
    Don't let the dealer snow you about no rear AC for northern CA. They are lying. Do you think Toyota makes a distinction that "better not let N California get rear AC". Lets make our options twice as difficult to manage.
    When I was buying my 2003 Highlander, the dealer told me that they had discontinued Bluestone. I checked with another dealer and they showed me the shipment logs which showed a ton of bluestones being delivered. Corporate offices also confirmed Bluestone was NOT being phased out. I went back to the original dealer to let him hang himself (again). I asked, "are you sure about Bluestone color being dropped" and he said yes. What a liar.

I drove back there about a month later to show him my Bluestone Highlander, buy he was gone (probably fired).
    The arbitrary options by region aspect of Toyota is truly assanine.

Somehow, I doubt that the region's choices are "arbitrary." After all, it's in their best interest to pick combinations that people want.

I'll bet the dealer that stated that no Limiteds were coming in that region with the 3rd row air was desperately trying to sell whatever was on the lot. Why give a customer a reason to delay their purchase? :confuse: