Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• toyotagaltoyotagal Member Posts: 215
    Does that have any weight or size restrictions to the 7? (smile)
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Actually I need 2. 1- for my camry and one for my hihy. Does anyone have a part # for toyota or a outside source...JOE
  • arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    Chances are the '08 Higlander will be at least 6-8 inches longer and 3-4 inches wider than the current model, which will come in around the size of a new '07 Acura MDX. I don't think it will be as long as the new Mazda CX-9 or GM crossovers.
  • peterk9peterk9 Member Posts: 7
    I heard from a reliable source that the new Highlander will somewhat resemble the Chrysler Pacifica. Too bad for us that like the SUV look over the cross-over look. :(
    That is different that most of the opinions I have read. And is more in keeping with it getting larger. Most of the posts to date have mentioned it being sized like the RDX which to me is no larger than the Highlander.

And made no sense.

That would make resizing it larger and on a larger platform, as the Avalon, much more reasonable IMO
    It would be a mistake to make it that small considering the RAV4 already comes with a 3rd row and is the small, "sporty" crossover in Toyota's lineup. I would look for the Highlander to be all business and comfort for 7. The wheelbase of the Avalon is about right for a next gen Highlander.
    I would certainly hope not. It reminds me of the first generation Honda Odyssey. It looks wonderful for the European market in the way that the Mazda5 does, but that style isn't too popular here. People are rebelling against the traditional minivan, and giving a Sienna regular doors rather the sliding ones will not win Toyota and popularity contests.
    No chance IMHO. That has Sienna written all over it. And will definitely no fly here.
  • peterk9peterk9 Member Posts: 7
    As I stated before, the new Highlander will definitely be a crossover vehicle, not like the current SUV model. It will still be available with AWD. It has apparently already been shown (no cameras were allowed) and I was told that it will be larger and more like the Chrysler Pacifica.
    Hopefully it will be more like the Hyundai Veracruz or Mazda CX-9 in total storage space with all the seats folded. Despite being 199" long, the Pacifica only manages 80 cu. ft. of storage space. The Veracruz is only 191" long and has 87 cu. ft., and the CX-9 is 200" long and has 100 cu. ft. I don't think it should be a beast like the Outlook/Acadia/Enclave though.
  • sallen10sallen10 Member Posts: 30
    Where have you all been? The 2008 Highlander will evolve from the FT-SX on Toyota's webpage. This has been known for sometime now. The commen tabout looking somewhat link a Pacifica is well founded and accurate. But a distant look is about as far as it goes. The link is below:

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/ftsx.html
    What a vehicle is based on and what it will eventually look like are two different things entirely. The new Ford D471 (just a code name) will be based on the Ford Fairlane concept, but it won't look exactly like it. It's just based on some of the design concepts.

BTW, the big, bold text is just as good as yelling, which isn't very nice.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    Does anyone have any inside information when we will see some spy photos of the new highlander plus when will Toyota actually reveal the new highlander?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    if they revealed it at the LA show? :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

It will be revealed somewhere whether it is Detroit,Los Angeles, Chicago.
    L.A. is first, isn't it? :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I'm not sure, but Detroit is in January.
    I wonder what the date is for LA, if Detroit is in January?

Contrary to many posters I still like the styling of the 2001-2007 Highlander. Just not into getting vehicles to impress others with the latest styling. I just couldn't afford an new Highlander until recently and didn't need new wheels either.

I am only waiting to see what the styling and size of the the new wheels are. Besides once it is shown I expect the deals offered on the 07 to go better for the buyers as they try to move the 07s.

If it is much bigger it won't fit in my garage well. And if it comes out down right ugly (IMO) as many of the new wheels are doing I will beat my path down to the dealer for an 07. I do so hate the loss of visibility in the rear vision windows on many of the new models. Down right dangerous especially for some of us older folks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Los Angeles Auto Show
    Edmunds Coverage: 11/22/06 - 11/30/06
    Open to the Public: 12/1/06 - 12/10/06

Shows & Events (Detroit opens 1/13 to the public).

Here's the show site itself if you want to get tickets or see the exhibitor list, etc. The exhibitor/vehicle list is pretty sparse on details though.
    Thanks for the info on the LA show. I however am in Northern CA and just went to the International Auto Show in our area Saturday.

For the record there was no 2008 at that show and the Toyota folks I spoke with knew nothing about the showing of an 08 at any upcoming Auto Show.

Who knows if not LA in December perhaps Detroit in January?
    How funny! You went to the SF show? I am in the SF area too. And our show is at the END of the show cycle - we get the stale leftovers from the debut shows 10-11 months earlier.

LA moved their show to the very front of the schedule to pre-empt Detroit in a way, so there is a good chance the next-gen HL will be at their show. If not, then I guess January it is. Bear in mind that show models often have unrealistically large rims on them, not the rims the cars will actually have when they are available for sale. I am curious to see the new size and look though.

I guess I should have said "Sacramento" rather than "Northern California". Not realizing Sacramento does not exist to Bay Area Folks............

We shall see which Show will take the wrappers off the 08. Salesmen I have spoken with are very closed mouth. Probably not wanting to down play the recent release of the 07s. And its apparently short cycle.

Hopefully when the wrappers come off the 08s they will be offering big discounts on the 07s. Which is probably the direction I will go.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I think that if you are interested in an '07 grab it now. Normally Toyota has excellent planning on the model year changeover. The retail stores know 60+ days in advance and Toyota 'ramps down' production of the older model as it 'ramps up' production of the newer one. The result is that often there is little or no overlap when major changes like this are being done. I don't know how many times we've sold the last of an older model the day or the week before the new one arrives. 2006 vs 2007 Camry's are a prime example. We had one 2006 left when the first 2007's arrived in March.

Here is a very good and accurate source for planning ...

www.donlen.com Toyota schedule
    "Grab it now"?

The 2007s arrived in March? I thought it was much later around here. But of course it would be the same date everywhere, I believe.

You had just "1" left in March? They were still peddling 2006s at 7K off MSRP just a couple weeks ago. With all our dealers still holding a few 2006s in inventory.

The Dealer who offered 7K off MSRP had 7 that I know of the first week of November.

Are you a Saleman or a Dealer?
    Careful... reading the fine print in an ad is imperative.

We too offer up to $5-6000 off 2006 Camrys...but they were in our rental fleet ( TRAC ) and then moved to the USED vehicle inventory after 5-10,000 miles.

In our district, CAT, all the new 2006's were gone in March/April. The 2007's were launched on about March 10th.
    Fine Print can be overwhelming at times. But in any case, when it comes to a final sale, that is when the smoke clears for me. And I don't sign anything that isn't what I thought it to be.

The ad did say "Brand new 2006 Toyota Highlanders" whatever that means..............

I do know for a fact that there still are some brand new 2006s in our area, as of last week. That is what surprised me when you said the 07s came out in March/April.

If what you say is true then the projected release of 2008s in April will be no sooner than normal.

I had been seeing chatter that the 08s would come out earlier than the previous year and the 07 model year would be a short one.

If they had 07s around here in March/April they sure weren't advertising them. But I can't say for sure since I was not looking for a Highlander at that time.

Maybe they had a big inventory or 06s in March/April in our area and they didn't advertise the 07s at that time?
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    You guys are talking about two different cars, ..toyotagal is refering to HIGHLANDERS, and kdhspyder is refering to CAMRYS.
    my bad..sorry

I was using the example of the 2006/2007 Camry in showing how the planning worked during a major model changeover. We had 1 2006 Camry left over when the first 2007 Camry's began arriving.

I thought then that you were referring to 2006 Camry's at up to $7000 off. sorry. AFAIK there are none of the new Highlanders anywhere in the US. I'd watch the donlen site to see when the new '08 models are scheduled to hit.
    Me sorry, cemosabi..................It just goes to show you how we can get off track. Thanks for showing us where the tracks are.

I just assumed we were discussing Highlanders on this link.

That'll teach me to assume anything.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    It has been Impossible to find anything out on the new 2008 highlander. Its said to be on the avalon platform.Could it be a avalon suv,with a new avalon name like avalon uv. Or could there be a new name anyway.I would think the name highlander would stick.I wish I could post a reward for the first person to find out.
    Although I can't say for certain. I would bet the odds of Highlander changing its name as next to zero. JMO
  • joe540cijoe540ci Member Posts: 17
    I started a new post similar to this one that is centered on the 2008 highlander hybrid. I have the 2006 hybrid and can't wait to see the new version. I will watch both posts and give any info I can find :) ...JOE
    Any info you come across as the 2008 Highlander release gets closer will be appreciated, Joe.

I shall continue scouring whatever sources I have as well.
  • quebecois_33quebecois_33 Member Posts: 2
    Hi there. I decided to finally step-into this thread after a lot of searching. Although it could be delayed (like the 2008 Corolla was), the hints from Toyota insiders suggest that the 2008 Highlander will make its debut at the North American Auto Show in Detroit (January 13-21 2007). This October 30th article from Australia sheds some light on the release schedule. The 1st generation Highlander came to Japan and the USA in the year 2000, and then Australia about a year later. It seems that the cycle is about to happen again, with the USA getting the new vehicle first, as sales in the US are about 10K per month, making it Toyota's 5th best selling vehicle (after the Camry, Corolla, Prius, and RAV4):

http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384,20669377-21822,00.html

As you know, the Highlander is known as the Kluger in Japan and Australia. I will be checking the Kluger page on Toyota's domestic site after January 1st for any more clues.

http://toyota.jp/klugerl/index.html

It is fascinating how the clay model of the Avalon-based Highlander was shown to insiders and select journalists this past summer, but we haven't seen s single spy photo of the vehicle. Compare that to the slow and steady unveiling of the Mazda CX-7, which was featured in the Grand Turismo vide game 2 years ago, and is now selling briskly as a hot new corssover.

Toyota has shown a lot of confidence in retaining customers and selling new models. Like weathermen in San Diego, they are making it look almost effortless day after day. Release a flawed new Camry? It sells. Don't update the Highlander? Its sales are up 6% over last year.
  • brutus22brutus22 Member Posts: 122
    Well, I just looked at the list of unveiling for the LA show and there was no mention of the Highlander, so I assume Detriot will get it. Still shocked that there are no spyshots of this thing, man these guys are gettign to be like Honda with the hush hush.

B.
    Hey, it has been quiet has anyone found any new information on the 2008 Highlander? Because I have not found anything at this point in time. Toyota from what you all know has been very quiet on the redesigned highlander.
    Nothing on this end. The LA show starts this weekend perhaps some clues will leak out of there although I do not expect anything on the floor. JMO
    I noticed this too and it seems that Toyota is announcing ...NOTHING !!!!! Only the Tundra is getting any press.

I wonder if the NAIAS will be a Tundra-only show or if after the Tundra debut they will then drop the curtain on the new Highlander, new Corolla, new Sequoia, new sports car, new hybrids, etc.

GM just took over the LA Show with all of it's hybrid announcements.
  • hsensihsensi Member Posts: 5
    My husband works for a dealership in NJ and his service manager showed him a small picture of one. The best he told me was it was similar to a Sequoia. Different enough but similar. They said the release was May 2008 for those of us waiting!
    Thanks for the Heads Up. May is a month later than most had "estimated" which was "April". But in any case, it is still much earlier than this year.
    Hey did you mistype that which says the release date is May 2008 becasue I thought it was coming out May 2007
    You are very alert and I not so much...........(smile)

I just saw "May" and the year did not appear upstairs.

A May 2008 release date would be a late date wouldn't it.................
    It must be May 2007 because if it would come out May 2008 it would be a 2009 model. Also I found out from another source that the new highlander is coming out Quarter 2 of 2007.
    Toyota is so hush hush on new models. At the moment the only new Toyota is the all new Tundra. So I am sure Toyota will be revealing new models at the international auto show.
    Such as the highlander, sequoia, and maybe the all new corolla
    Also I know Scion which is part of Toyota also has been really quiet on the replacements of the Scion XA and XB. And for sure I know they are going to reveal those models because Toyota said they would be released in spring 07.
    So most likely the Highlander is coming out May 2007
  • hsensihsensi Member Posts: 5
    yes, 2007, it was a typo on my part. I am anxiously waiting for the new model.. I got one of the first Highlanders in the states (Feb 2001) and it has been great to me. I am just ready for something new.
    Hey, do you know which upcoming autoshow will reveal the new redesigned 2008 highlander.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    The betting here has been on Detroit and NYC. ;)
  • brutus22brutus22 Member Posts: 122
    Learn what?, nothing to learn there about 2008 model.
    Can anyone tell me why Toyota has been so quiet on their future models? Because it is just not the Highlander that is supposed to debut next year but also reportedly the Sequoia, Corolla, and Matrix.
    Well actually Corolla and Matrix I heard were delayed six months to a year.
    The only car that has been known for a while to be coming out early next year is the 2007 Tundra.