Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Just got back from test driving the 2wd Sport we got. First my overall impression of this vehicle. Keeping with a trend Toyota started with the 05 Avalon is the use of cheaper materials. The plastic door panels look like the ones on the new Tundra. Same goes for the cloth interior. The panels are not fitted as we expect from Toyota and there are a lot of gaps. This model also has the new door lock buttons that are used in the Camry, RAV4, and Yaris. They are very small and hard to find when not looking directly at them. Having said that, it will still sell in bunches because of the logo that's on the hood. :)

Driving impression: We set out at first with me as a passenger and one of my colleagues as the driver. We also had another passenger in the middle seat. The driver complained of sluggish performance although I thought it was adequate. I told him to put it in the sequential mode and see if he could feel the difference. It was quite an improvement. The ride was very quiet and smooth. Quite quieter than the model it replaces. We switched seats and I got on the drivers side. I went strictly sequential and it was nice. I took the first exit ramp towards the expressway and just shifted gears to my hearts content. The shifting was very smooth, up and down, no hesitation. The power from the 3.5L V6 was there when you wanted it. We came back to the boulevard and I decided to make a U turn to test the VSC. Works as advertised. I gunned the accelerator and through my peripheral vision saw the VSC indicator flashing. Back at the dealership I backed it up onto the ramp and the back up camera came on. The screen is about the size as the one on Tundra and good for backing out of a driveway to make sure you don't run over the kids bikes or the kids! ;) I can't wait to get my hands on a Limited and feel the difference in the ride. I hope the fit and finish of the interior is corrected otherwise it will show up as squeaks and rattles later on.
    Mackabee
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    From Toyota's "Customer First" quality initiative.

One problem with Toyotas is people definitely walk in and expect Ergonomics, seats, panels, materials are expected to be two steps above the competition. Usually they aren't disappointed, it's just a matter of which dealer the purchase will be made from.

DrFill
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    They better start putting their money where their mouth is then. Like I said before the quality of materials they are using lately is not up to par.
    Mackabee
  • jpetercjpeterc Posts: 1
    I just got back from the local dealer and I was thinking about ordering a '08. It will be a loaded one with a model # of 6956A. Has almost all the options except running boards and tow package. Dealer said boards aren't available yet. I wanted the exterior color to be Barcelona Red but I was told the only red is Salsa red. The base price is $34150 with $4395 in options and $645 for destination charges which comes to $39190 and roughly another 10 percent for tax and license. My questions are does this vehicle only come in Salsa Red and is it really worth $43000? Comments?????
  • pabloxpablox Posts: 92
    I think even though it's just been released, you can do better than MSRP.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    The 'Limited' SPORT we received is worlds better than the current '04 Highlander my wife and I drive. The new model is more attractive, with far more features and better ergonomics than my current one.

The ride in both is very quiet and very smooth. The new model is far more powerful though. The new model is much bigger so it may appeal to a different buyer than a two adult family.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Posts: 139
    The dealers around the chicagoland area have not recieved any 2008 highlanders yet. They probably should recieve them any day now.
  • jathreyajathreya Posts: 4
    I saw a Salsa Red Highlander Limited with Nav being prepped at Toyota of Fremont, California. The sales consultant pointed to the window sticker and said, "Oh right. They've added Xzilon protection too". Guess what this Permaplate of the 21st century will set you back by? How about $2500? A nice little dealer markup. Caveat emptor.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    on toyota.com, and it seems like a lot of vehicle for the money;

38K for a LOADED model with leather, moonroof, tow pkg, NAV, cold weather pkg, Bluetooth, dual digi climate, ski/snow crossbars.

Give me a winning lottery ticket and sign me up
    ;)
  • lablover2lablover2 Posts: 106
    i was with on a test drive last night in a suburb of chicago so yes they are here! it seemed like a very nice ride to me-i like the look of it also. the person i was with did not buy it but plans on doing so when more colors are available. they had 4 on their lot-2 white a silver and a dark grey. it was orland toyota
  • ggddggdd Posts: 3
    I just checked the carmax.com,it provides $900 over invoice,from the 5 pass 4X2 $26K to fully loaded limit 4X4,close to 39K.I think it will sell at below invoice soon.
    Most 07 rav4 3.5 (same as HL) sell below invoice now.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,158
    One in silver, one in blue. Both had dealer stickers and plates from what I could see. They look pretty good in person. :shades:
  • My lease on my '04 Sequoia SR5 will be ending in December and I'm looking for a replacement vehicle. I'm not interested in the huge new '08 Sequoia that will be coming out around the end of the year. With gas prices soaring, I'm beginning to feel guilty driving a huge vehicle when I don't tow anything except the two kids and all their sports equipment!

How does the new '08 Highlander compare to the current model of Sequoia in terms of size, cargo area and amenities? The prices appear to be similar to what I negotiated the '04 Sequoia price on my lease three years ago. :surprise:
    I think it has more room than a Chevy Tahoe (90 cubes).

The vehicle should be a foot shorter, and with the new V6, will have about the same HP (270 to 271), but obviuously less torue for towing.

For less than $35k, it should be strong value. :)

DrFill
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,910
    Oh boy, more mop and glow. :shades:

That's a good segue to introduce a new feature at Edmunds - dealer and service reviews.

Go to the Find a Local Car Dealer link and drill down to your dealer. Once there you'll find links to write a review about your purchase or service experience. Other owners will appreciate learning about the rip-off room practices of the mop and glow guys.
    They jack the price up so sticker seems like a good deal.

Part and parcel of the "Bigger Idiot" School of salesmanship. Every dealer has a chart in the tower, like a Periodic Table. :surprise:

DrFill
  • nxs138nxs138 Posts: 481
    Aaah, yes, the old Xzilon add-on trick. I've seen people pay $400-800 for it, but never $2500! It's almost pure profit, and you can buy a good paint sealant for $30 and have the same basic results if you reapply every year.

Apparently the Xzilon reps do a good job training dealers how to market this rip-off. They probably get very good bonuses, too, seeing how many people fall for it.
  • finlayfinlay Posts: 1
    I saw my first 2008 Highlander today at a dealership here in San Antonio. They have a Salsa Red one on display in front of their showroom. I thought it looked very nice, better than the pictures. It has a strong, handsome look. This one was a Sport model with a good many options, and the price from the factory was $34,000, but there were also a lot of dealer add-ons, so the total went up to just more than $37,000. I'm actually interested in the hybrid, but I have been wanting to see what the vehicle looked like in real life, and I was not disappointed. In a few pictures, I thought it looked somewhat too long--almost like a van-- but I did not get that sense when I saw it today.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    I'm very interested in seeing what the new HH pricing is also. I think the HH has better acceleration overall and the technology is 'proven'. Boy, there's a weird concept to get the mind around..LOL

Suppositions on pricing of 2WD models
    Base ICE $28-$30000
    Mid Trim ICE $30-32000
    Mid Trim HH $34000
    Ltd Sport ICE $34-$36000
    Ltd ICE $36-$38000
    Ltd HH $38-$40000

Even though the vehicle is longer it doesn't look out of proportion because it's also wider. It is big though.