Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• Do you believe Toyota may reveal the new Highlander at the upcoming Autoshow in 2007.
  • no sign of any pictures
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Posts: 139
    For anyone wanting to talk about the future highlander this is the discussion group to bring it up in. If anyone finds any new info on the the future highlander bring it up in this new discussion group.
  • toyotagaltoyotagal Posts: 215
    I recently posted a message on the 2008 Highlander to another discussion but perhaps it is best posted here.

To date I have heard and/or read that the 2008 Highlander will be released early on or around April 2007. To me that seems really early and and a very short model year for the 2007s.

I have also read that the 2008 will be on an Avalon platform vs. a Camry platform. And it will be larger. In part to offset the enlarging of the RAV4 and some overlap.

But on the other hand I have also heard from a Toyota Dealer that the 2008s will be released at approximately the same time of year as the 2007s were released.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to the design or release of the 2008s?

Personally I am a little hesitant to get a 2007 until I see exactly what they are doing to the 2008 models.
    Remember in the past year's Toyota releases the new models in the spring for example the 2007 camry was released in spring 06. There are though no photos of what the new highlander will look like. But I have heard also that the new redesigned highlander will come out in spring 07 as an 08. They may reveal the new highlander at the north american auto shows coming this winter
    Yes, I remember that about the Camry. However, that said the 2007 Highlander just came out recently. It would seem strange if the model year for the 2007 were only 6 or 7 months, as many have alluded to.

I do plan to go the the International Auto Show here in a few weeks. Even if the 2008s are not there, they should have a reliable comment as to when they would be available for viewing etc.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    they release it in April 2007, won't that be kind of late? The current model will have run for well over five years by then. Plus, with the new Ford Edge and the new Pilot out there, you would think Toyota would hop to it. That's before you even TALK about the fact that the RAV4 is now eating the HIghlander's lunch, since the redesign. And the Santa Fe was just re-released with seven seats, and...

However, Toyota has alluded to slowing down all its upcoming model launches while it seeks to ensure that the QC is still there after a bunch of recalls recently. Perhaps that included the HL.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Toyota has delayed the launch of some redegin projects for example the corolla and matrix were due for a redesign in spring 07 but have delayed it I heard till spring 08. But Toyota did not say anything about delaying the highlander from what I still here should could come out in spring 07.

Technically the highlander should have been redesigned for the 2006 model year because Toyota redesigns models every 5 years approx. I really dont know why toyota is taking their time with the new highlander.
    Personally I would suspect that the 2008 Highlander will copy the 2007 Lexus to a significant degree. If so, I would still prefer the 2007 design with excellent rear visibility. And not sacrifice rear visibility for styling as so many new models of cars and CRVs do.
  • gasman1gasman1 Posts: 321
    The Corolla was to have been launched in NOV 06, but was delayed after the new CIVIC launch. Something about styling changes.

I believe the Highlander may have been scheduled for JAN 07, but delayed when the new CAMRY automatic transmission issues surfaced. It's not unusual to have an April/May launch. The 07 model year is cut shourt while the 08 model year is extended.

BTW - My comments are based solely on my readings from Edmunds, a few Toyota owner sites, and other boards.
  • I understand TMV calculation, except for one small detail. Here in Central Florida, usually the Toyota dealers add around $695 for what I deem "fluff", i.e. paint guard, sealant, underbody coating, etc. This is posted on the window sticker and of course, included in the price. When Edmunds shows, for example, that the TMV of a RAV4 is about $1,000 under MSP, do they include or EXCLUDE such dealer additions. Please understand that I am NOT talking about destination fees which are pretty typical and non-negotiable. Thanks for any info. GJC
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Toyota has found that early spring releases are great for sales since well over 50% of the annual vehicle sales are made from March through August. These are 6 of the 7 biggest selling months. It's when the buyers are out looking. It also separates the launch from all the other vehicles being revised and launched around Labor Day, the traditional 'birthday'.

The new Highlander is the Rx350 sibling, but the Rx always gets first attention. Want to drive a Limited Highlander now? Go to a Lexus store and test the new Rx350.

The benefit of getting a 2007 is that you can get a killer deal now on it whereas the deals on a 2008 will be few and far between for some time.
    If Toyota has "found that early spring releases" are great why release the 2007 Highlander in the Fall?

I am in favor of "Killer Deals" but those are on the 2006s now not the 2007s now. But if, as many are saying, the model year for the 2007s will only go 7 months or so.............there could concievably be some "KILLER DEALS" on 2007s in the not too distant future.

My latest plan is to pick up a 2007 in the dead of winter on the coldest, rainiest, darkest day at the end of the month..............

They will probably pay me to take a 2007 Highlander off their hands...................ROFLOL
    As I understand it, the 2007 Highlander is on a Camry platform. While the 2008 Highlander will be on the Avalon platform.

With the Camry being updated for 2007, I wonder if the 2007 Highlander is on the updated new 2007 Camry platform. Or is the Camry 2007 platform really different or the same as the 2006 Camry.
    like this year's Camry the new Highlander on the new frame will be an early 2008 release meaning the 2007 will be a 'shortie'.
    The new 2007 Camry was tweaked very marginally from the 2002-2006 frame.

The Avalon frame, 2008 Highlander, is different. The Highlander had to be different since the Pilot, on the Odyssey frame, was much bigger. The Highlander suffered in comparison often with the larger Pilot.

The RAV, on its own frame, supports this move to a larger Highlander by now offering the more compact but still sizable crossover vehicle. It also eliminates the need for a 4c Highlander, which wasn't a big seller anyway.
    I have test driven both the 07 Pilot and Highlander. And to me the Highlander rides better on the car platform than the Pilot does on the Ridgeline platform. JMO

I most of our driving is around town as ours is the Highlander wins hands down.
  • gasman1gasman1 Posts: 321
    My wife and I agree with your assessment. We thought the Pilot a) to big; b) to noisey (engine and road noise); and c) to pricey. The Honda people wanted a lot and weren't giving much on trade-in. Our Highlander was just right and the delaership has been great to work with during and after the sale.
    I was at a local Toyota dealership which they were having rebates on 07 and remaining 06 highlanders. The salesperson said Toyota is doing this because the new redesiged highlander is supposed to come out in spring 07.

Of course there is still no photos of what the redesigned highlander will look like. Hopefully photos of the 08 highlander come out soon.
    Are you driving a 2007 Highlander, gasman1?

If so how do you like it?