Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Yes, and its failure mode isn't breaking, just gets loose and noisy from wear.
  • jmpage2jmpage2 Posts: 262
    So what's the service intervals on the new HL '08? I know that many of the new cars in this segment don't need a real "tune up" for around 100K miles.
  • pabloxpablox Posts: 92
    They're probably the same as the RX350, Sienna and Avalon.
  • Wow such pathos for a little ole AC question...Anyway everything was clear and I was moving at 65 to 70 MPH and the AC was turned to lowest Temp setting. It still felt NOT COLD. In fact it felt uncold not tepid just uncold. I simply wanted to know if others have noticed this or not. I can sort of forgive the power assisted Rack and Pinion as a compromise to the soccer mom's but AC that is sub-standard is just that sub-standard.

The model was a HL Limited.
  • There was controls for the middle row and vents for the back 2 rows....and yes it was not cold there either.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Are you sure you had the A/C switched turned on?
    Mack
  • I am too looking to buy a HL. Some of the posts here say only pay some hundred $ over the invoice. Can I ask if this 'couple-hundred-over-the-invoice' price includes all the fees (license fee, etc...) or do I have to pay extra for the those fees. And if I have to pay for those fees, about how much is typical for 2008 HL limited? Should I go with Costso Auto program? they seem to have a better price.
    Sorry I have never bought a new car before (poor broke college kid...lol)
    Thanks very much for all your advice!
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    It's amazing from the original Camry I bought in 1989 where the service was very expensive every 3000 miles to now where it's nominal or FREE!!

Right out of your Service Manual.
    Every 5000 mi or 6 months
    ..Oil and oil filters
    ..Rotate your tires
    ..Check your brakes

That's it.

You might want to change your air filter as needed.
    Do a 'winterization' as needed.
    Have your plugs replaced sometime beyond 100,000 miles.

Owners are finding that the hybrid models need even less maintenance. Weird.
    Title and registration fees vary by state and so do taxes so those are on top of the price of the car. I gather you're in California by your user name. Have you gone to Edmund's TMV and priced one out and see what others are paying? I don't think a "couple-hundred-over-invoice" will do on this vehicle. It's not distressed merchandise.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • I am trying to make a decision on whether or not to select the rear A/C for the '08 HL. :confuse:

From the description, it is not clear if the option provides (a) another setting to control the rear temperature operated from the front panel or (b) a control setting for the rear that can be operated by rear (2nd row) passengers or (c) a separate independent HVAC unit for the rear that can be independently controlled through option (a) or (b), which should technically provide better cooling or heating to the rear (I'm thinking room air-conditioner vs. central A/C)

I live in the norCal Bay Area and I need to decide if I should to fly to soCal and buy or get it locally without the rear A/C.

Expert opinions on this appreciated. Thanks.
  • ">link titleThere are several good pts here. I differ slightly in my advice. 1) i think tmv does a poor job of giving someone an idea of how much to pay for a car. go to cars.com and take a look at the various prices. Then contact several dealers and offer 4K off total price over phone. If you find a deal you like, when you go into the showroom, take another 1500 off your offer. if they don't budge tell them you'll have to think about it. I guarantee they will call you back within 48 hours. this should work extremely well for 07 models. 08 models are redisigned which makes negotiations more difficult<a href="
  • I think the option means that there are separate controlls for rear seat passengers. However a button must be pressed in the front in order for this to be activated. in terms of rear a/c if you have children or animals that you expect to transport, it is a nice option. It cools passengers much faster. Since this vehicle will be mass produced you might be able to find one that just has rear vents. However, if you will not be transporting humans or animals, this feature seems silly.

I hope this is helpful. Dealerships to avoid in Socal Torrance Toyota: they over price their vehicles, and there's no room for negotiation. Look at Longo Toyota, Cabe Toyota, Toyota of Cerritos, these are the one's that come to mind. good luck
  • my god man of coursei had the AC turned on....i am going back this weekend to test drive another. Temp should be 93degrees.

This time i will make sure all the controls are correct and report back.
  • I've driven both the 2008 Highlander Limited and the 2007 Ford Edge, loaded. The HL is a softer ride, nice interior, the Edge more sporty, but a lesser interior. I enjoyed both of them for their strong points, and wouldn't have a problem buying either. I'm currently driving an STS with AWD, but I miss sitting a little higher after a decade of driving trucks and SUVs.

Curious what everyone's thoughts are on value? The 2008 Edge should be out soon, and I've heard they are upgrading their nav system to a Bluetooth system. Even at MSRP, it is a less expensive car than HL (and I should be able to do much better than MSRP.) I plan to keep the car three years or more. Will the difference in depreciation make up the difference in cost for the HL?
  • Hi everyone,

Thanks for replying my post! I spoke to some friends last night and they said that I should buy a Pilot. It is better overall. Can anyone confirm this? I heard Pilot has some noise problem. is it really loud enough to be a problem? how about the ride? is it comfortable and soft (not rough like my 4Runner)? Anyone with experience, please share. Thanks
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,424
    Only one way to tell - you have to drive them both. What's noisy to one is fine to another.
  • brutus22brutus22 Posts: 122
    Drive them both, then decide...but please note the Highlander was just re-designed and the Pilot is about 6 months away from a brand new re-design. I personally will be waiting for that then comparing apples to apples.

The Toyota should be better due to the newer design, but will also carry a serious price premium.
    The Honda right now can be had for a song and a dance due to its last year of this body style, pretty crazy deals I have heard about 5000-6000 off list.

Next year when my time comes to find what fits my likes and lifestyle I will test drive the following (all have 3rd row):
    Honda Pilot (new design) & Odyssey
    Toyota Highlander & Sienna
    Saturn Outlook/GMC Acadia twins
    Mazda CX-9
    Hyundai Veracruz
    Acura MDX

Nothing else comes to mind worth bothoring.

Good luck,
    B.
    I don't mean to insult your intelligence. Sometimes the obvious is forgotten. Let us know how it does. I drove one last night just to check it out and the cooling was fine. :)
    Mack
    Buying what your friends tell you to buy is not a good idea. You may end up with something YOU don't like. ;) The Highlander will have a "cushier" ride than the Pilot. Mainly due to their different suspensions. Since you already own a Toyota I can guarantee you are probably leaning toward the Highlander. Drive them both and see what you think.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • No offense taken...The AC seems to be not as good as my 2004 HL and I sort of wish it was.

Has anyone seen a HL LMT with black leather interior.
    I am tired of the ASH or other light color :)